ImageImageImage

Who to start at SG/SF?

Moderators: KingDavid, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside

Mars
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,174

Re: Who to start at SG/SF? 

Post#21 » by Mars » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:24 am

Who to start at SG/SF?

More important is who finishes.
GUTSâ„¢
RJM
General Manager
And1: 2,266

Post#22 » by RJM » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:26 am

gom wrote:
contract wrote:
miula wrote:Right now we have 3 SG: Waiters / JRich / TJ, and 3 SF Winslow / JJ / McGruder

Who do you think / like to start?

Waiters is the shooting guard until he does something to lose the job. I think Winslow starts at SF to start the season, even though I'd rather leave McGruder out there, or anyone that can shoot and help spread the floor.

That you for asking what I'd like, because Spo never does. :lol:

I've no issue with Winslow starting, as long as he can shoot as well as McGruder. I suspect that will take time.

Winslow is a consistent jump shot from that guaranteed starting spot (and 20-7-5). I'm not optimistic about that jumper. The mechanics are all wrong. Not sure how much more it can change.
KingDavid
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 39,811

Post#23 » by KingDavid » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:48 pm

RJM wrote:
gom wrote:
contract wrote:Waiters is the shooting guard until he does something to lose the job. I think Winslow starts at SF to start the season, even though I'd rather leave McGruder out there, or anyone that can shoot and help spread the floor.

I've no issue with Winslow starting, as long as he can shoot as well as McGruder. I suspect that will take time.

Winslow is a consistent jump shot from that guaranteed starting spot (and 20-7-5). I'm not optimistic about that jumper. The mechanics are all wrong. Not sure how much more it can change.

Justise would be Kawhi pt2 if he had a consistent jumpshot. But he was just cleared a couple of weeks ago from his form labrum on his right arm. So I don't know if he's even fixed his shot. When D12 had that injury and tried to play through it, he said there were some nights where he couldn't lift his hands above his shoulders.

I'm not optimistic either.
#HEATLifer

Long Live Kobe Bryant. My idol's idol.
contract
RealGM
And1: 20,773

Post#24 » by contract » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:58 pm

RJM wrote:
gom wrote:
contract wrote:Waiters is the shooting guard until he does something to lose the job. I think Winslow starts at SF to start the season, even though I'd rather leave McGruder out there, or anyone that can shoot and help spread the floor.

Winslow is miles away from averaging 20 points a game, even as the primary scorer on a bad team.

M ... I ... L ... E ... S

He's inefficient from pretty much every spot on the floor.
:meditate: Team Small Ball :meditate:
contract
RealGM
And1: 20,773

Post#25 » by contract » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:12 pm

Mars wrote:
Who to start at SG/SF?

Finishing is generally less stressful if you don't have to claw your way back from an early deficit.
:meditate: Team Small Ball :meditate:
Mars
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,174

Post#26 » by Mars » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:13 pm

contract wrote:
Mars wrote:
Who to start at SG/SF?

Finishing is generally less stressful if you don't have to claw your way back from an early deficit.

Digging your way back from early deficits generally happens when teams have thin rosters with holes in the starting lineup. This team isn't thin... especially on the wings.
GUTSâ„¢
Hoops23
General Manager
And1: 1,269

Post#27 » by Hoops23 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:13 am

PG = Dragic
SG = Waiters
SF = J Rich

PF = JJ
C = Hassan

While Winslow is a very good defender, his range is limited. A poor shooter. Check out the stats and the Heat's record when he was out with injuries last year.

JJ is the ideal PF. You can make a case that he and Tyler were good coming of the bench last season, but my concern is if Olynyk fits well beside Hassan plus if he can defend faster PF. If ever Olynyk start, I dont see him with Hassan playing a lot of minutes together.
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 144,616

Post#28 » by MettaWorldPanda » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:58 pm

Hoops23 wrote:PG = Dragic
SG = Waiters
SF = J Rich

PF = JJ
C = Hassan

While Winslow is a very good defender, his range is limited. A poor shooter. Check out the stats and the Heat's record when he was out with injuries last year.

JJ is the ideal PF. You can make a case that he and Tyler were good coming of the bench last season, but my concern is if Olynyk fits well beside Hassan plus if he can defend faster PF. If ever Olynyk start, I dont see him with Hassan playing a lot of minutes together.

I like this starting lineup. Would rather have Winslow coming in with the second unit as the point forward surrounded by shooters.

2nd Unit
C Kelly Olynyk
PF Bam Adebayo-PF James Johnson
SF Justise Winslow
SG Wayne Ellington
PG Tyler Johnson
RexBoyWonder
RealGM
And1: 33,431

Post#29 » by RexBoyWonder » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:48 pm

MettaWorldPanda wrote:
SG = Waiters
SF = J Rich

PF = JJ
C = Hassan

I like this starting lineup. Would rather have Winslow coming in with the second unit as the point forward surrounded by shooters.

2nd Unit
C Kelly Olynyk
SF Justise Winslow
SG Wayne Ellington
PG Tyler Johnson

Not enough creating in the second unit, one of Dragic/Waiters/JJ and preferably 2 of them should be on the court at all time IMO.
Chalm Downs wrote:his nickname is boywonder ffs
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 144,616

Post#30 » by MettaWorldPanda » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:08 pm

RexBoyWonder wrote:
MettaWorldPanda wrote:
SG = Waiters
SF = J Rich

PF = JJ
C = Hassan

2nd Unit
C Kelly Olynyk
SF Justise Winslow
SG Wayne Ellington
PG Tyler Johnson

Not enough creating in the second unit, one of Dragic/Waiters/JJ and preferably 2 of them should be on the court at all time IMO.

Oh yeah. Totally agree. Spo will have to space out the substitutions.
ndnow
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,010

Post#31 » by ndnow » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:46 am

McGruder is clearly the starting SF, our team's success when he starts is hard to argue against.
ndnow
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,010

Post#32 » by ndnow » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:47 am

contract wrote:
RJM wrote:
gom wrote:

Winslow is miles away from averaging 20 points a game, even as the primary scorer on a bad team.

M ... I ... L ... E ... S

He's inefficient from pretty much every spot on the floor.

The problem we were having with him starting last year was that teams were lagging 5+ft on him begging him to shoot. This caused the lanes to clog and our guys had no room to drive and kick which was our teams main success on offense.
Bishop45
RealGM
And1: 109,456

Post#33 » by Bishop45 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:09 am

Winslow was injured, sample sz is baseless. In the 18 games he played he ranked in the 32nd percentile defensively (Compared to the 81st percentile defense the year before), he was worse than Devin Booker. Clear-ly wasn't himself

With winstreak our win percentage w/o Winslow wasn't eeb'm at .500, neither McGruder or Rich are better than Winslow and I'm in the thinking that he should get the opportunity to lose his starting spot while healthy. The team that was gaining chemistry during preseason and the first few games of the year is the same winstreak team, just started on the wrong foot.

Waiters isn't a scorer, most of his value is as a 3 & D secondary ballhandler, he could use some Winslow and unless you have selfish high usage players, any team could always use more ballhandlers.

Long Live Winnie. Mamba siempre

Rest in Power Chadwick

#PeaceinGaza #FreedomforPalestine
LEIF
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 921
Location: Charleston, SC. Born and raised in The City of North Miami.

Post#34 » by LEIF » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:03 pm

Riley stated to Barry and others that James Johnson was retained to be the starting PF. So I would pencil Dragic, Waiters, JJ & Hassan as 4 of the 5. I think Winslow will be given every opportunity to claim the starting spot but they may find that JRich or even McGruder fit better with that starting unit for spacing purposes. Let Winslow be a playmaker with the 2nd unit (similar to what JJ did with the bench unit last year). Just my 2 pennies....

Follow me on Twitter @Lefty_Leif
DBurks2818
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,034

Post#35 » by DBurks2818 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:14 pm

LEIF wrote:Riley stated to Barry and others that James Johnson was retained to be the starting PF. So I would pencil Dragic, Waiters, JJ & Hassan as 4 of the 5. I think Winslow will be given every opportunity to claim the starting spot but they may find that JRich or even McGruder fit better with that starting unit for spacing purposes. Let Winslow be a playmaker with the 2nd unit (similar to what JJ did with the bench unit last year). Just my 2 pennies....

I could see this happening. And then in year 4 Justise is ready to take the starting SF spot.
smartcane
Junior
And1: 259

Post#36 » by smartcane » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:48 pm

Starting five

PG: Dragic
SG: Waiters
SF: JJ
PF: Onlynk
C: Whiteside

This line up gives us great length, three point shooting and defense while allowing us to bring in TJ,Richardson, Winslow and Bam without having too much of a Drop off. Ellington, McGuber and White should be good insurance policies for the second unit. Also doing it this way allows the young guys to have some freedom in the 2nd unit to develop their skills.
leoshes
Veteran
And1: 5,437

Post#37 » by leoshes » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:26 am

Our best winning % came when we had Whiteside, JJ, Dion, & Dragic on the floor playing together. Those 4 need to start, with a good 3, & D player next to him. Someone like JRich, or McGruger.
dean456
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,252

Post#38 » by dean456 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:32 am

I agree with some others here I think one of Winslow or JJ need to come off the bench. Because I'm not confident in a TJ as a primary ball handler to lead the 2nd unit option.

If we have something like,
Starters:
Dragic
Waiters
Winslow
Olynyk
Whiteside

2nd Unit:
TJ
JRich
Ellington
JJ
Bam

End of game lineup:
Dragic/TJ (situational)
Waiters
Winslow/Ellington (situational)
JJ
Whiteside
RJM
General Manager
And1: 2,266

Post#39 » by RJM » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:57 am

A combination of TJ and J-Rich in the backcourt (with JJ in the frontcourt) should be enough to handle ballhandling duties in that second unit. Keep in mind, it's not a Calipari-esque five-for-five substitution scheme. It's fine. Granted, I'd love a reliable veteran PG off the bench (every team should have one) to stabilize things, but this can work.
HeatIn5
General Manager
And1: 18,357

Post#40 » by HeatIn5 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:32 am

Dragic/TJ or Rich
Waiters/Ellington or Rich
McGruder/ Winslow or Rich/Okaro
JJ/Bam/Okaro
Whiteside/Olynyk

I think this looks like our most likely scenario
Read on Twitter