ImageImageImage

Random Be Safe Papis Thoughts; XVIIII

Moderators: KingDavid, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside

contract
RealGM
And1: 20,786

Re: Random Be Safe Papis Thoughts; XVIIII 

Post#1161 » by contract » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:17 pm

Bishop45 wrote:Not to cipher this into my failed politics thrd but good to see a sherriff make a stance, although a bluffed one maybe. This yr in politics is going to be a mess

Read on Twitter

The joke is on him. Congress is getting ready to pass national right to carry legislation that would allow any yahoo licensed to carry in Texas or Wyoming to ride into New York City strapped like a cowboy, and there would be nothing that anyone could do to stop him.
:meditate: Team Small Ball :meditate:
KingDavid
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 39,859

Post#1162 » by KingDavid » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:17 pm

contract wrote:
JaysRule15 wrote:
I hope you guys don't mind me jumping into this discussion as an outsider. But, I feel like following a tragedy like this, people are quick to get emotional and bring up gun bans, without actually thinking about how they'd implement it and the impact it'd cause.

I guess by that same logic we should legalize RPGs, because if they are outlawed then only the criminals will have them.

The logic for bullets should obviously not be applied to rocket propelled grenades.
#HEATLifer

Long Live Kobe Bryant. My idol's idol.
KingDavid
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 39,859

Post#1163 » by KingDavid » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:29 pm

MettaWorldPanda wrote:
contract wrote:
MettaWorldPanda wrote:I don't get this whole idea of added security meaning locking up kids in prisons. Does it feel like a prison when you go to a basketball game and every major entry point has staffed security wanding you down? Is anybody worried about kids feelings when they have to get screened at an airport? Keep leaving schools as soft targets and this will keep on happening. The 2nd amendement is not going anywhere so we can keep on debating for more gun control or we can move forward in trying to deter something like this from happening again. This is not the old times when crazies even respected the sanctity of children in schools. It's now become the in thing for these chit heads. I do agree that we need common sense gun reform but we also have to stop being naive that this will end school shootings if we continue to leave these kids as sitting ducks.

Yes it would. It would stop it cold. But if you don't want to ban guns, there are still things that can be done to limit the carnage. The public does not need military style weapons. When the 2nd amendment was adopted, "arms" had to be reloaded between every shot. Somewhere between there and here there is a reasonable happy medium.

The happy medium can be found but we also need to bring up the discussion of keeping schools safe instead of just focusing on banning guns which will never happen in our life time. You can profile the AR-15 all you want but the same damage can be accomplished with a glock 26 with a 33 round magazine attached to it. The AR-15 is the weapon of choice for these animals because the media glorifies the phuck out of it and it's image. You ban the AR-15 you need to ban all guns which once again will never happen. Should you be 21 in order to buy a rifle like you need to buy a handgun? Absolutely no doubt about it. I would even consider raising the age to 25. You can have magazine amount restrictions but if you are skilled enough you can change magazines in a matter of seconds.

I would completely support a tax that pays for the training and hiring of vets and retired officers to patrol schools as armed security. Rather that than watch a bunch of my money vanish into FICA.
#HEATLifer

Long Live Kobe Bryant. My idol's idol.
Chalm Down
RealGM
And1: 132,753

Post#1164 » by Chalm Down » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:08 am

Just speaking on the layout of my old high school, I don't think patrolling armed security could prevent something. Everyone had to walk through an open courtyard between classes, and someone could do a lot of damage before any security could even react.

Also agree with Bish that specifically hiring retired vets to patrol a school comes with its own issues. Not saying they can't do the job, but they're not automatically qualified...experience in the armed forces is quite different from patrolling a school.
Bishop45 wrote:"Let Iggie start the season brehs, was the wors that could happen"
GopherIt!
RealGM
And1: 24,142

Post#1165 » by GopherIt! » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:07 am

sup fellas. how are things going in the members only meeting?
eddieheatfan
RealGM
And1: 24,987

Post#1166 » by eddieheatfan » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:10 am

Bishop45 wrote:Not to cipher this into my failed politics thrd but good to see a sherriff make a stance, although a bluffed one maybe. This yr in politics is going to be a mess

Read on Twitter
people are too emotional over this right now

https://www.safehome.org/resources/gun-laws-and-deaths/

Illinois and Maryland are too states with strict gun control laws and yet they still have the most of gun violence in america :roll:

edit; this tragedy happened because the FBI failed to do its job
Bishop45
RealGM
And1: 109,486

Post#1167 » by Bishop45 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:13 am

GopherIt! wrote:sup fellas. how are things going in the members only meeting?

We're waiting on your contribution...
Long Live Winnie. Mamba siempre

Rest in Power Chadwick

#PeaceinGaza #FreedomforPalestine
Bishop45
RealGM

Post#1168 » by Bishop45 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:15 am

eddieheatfan wrote:

Read on Twitter

Illinois and Maryland are too states with strict gun control laws and yet they still have the most of gun violence in america :roll:

You don't have a problem with a mentally unstable minor being able to legally purchase an Assault Rifle?

Rest in Power Chadwick

eddieheatfan
RealGM

Post#1169 » by eddieheatfan » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:22 am

Bishop45 wrote:
eddieheatfan wrote:

Read on Twitter

You don't have a problem with a mentally unstable minor being able to legally purchase an Assault Rifle?
of course i have a problem but thats why backgrounds checks do exist.in this case it failed, and lets not forget that there's a black market for weapons as well that no laws in place can regulate.so, yeah i agree its a mental health issue.how do we solve it? with more laws that makes us "feel" safe or to actually implement the laws that exists already on the books and improve our mental health programs

again, Maryland and Illinois lead the nation in gun violence and deaths and these states have the more strict gun control laws in the nation
Bishop45
RealGM

Post#1170 » by Bishop45 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:38 am

eddieheatfan wrote:of course i have a problem but thats why backgrounds checks do exist.in this case it failed, and lets not forget that there's a black market for weapons as well that no laws in place can regulate.so, yeah i agree its a mental health issue.how do we solve it? with more laws that makes us "feel" safe or to actually implement the laws that exists already on the books and improve our mental health programs

again, Maryland and Illinois lead the nation in gun violence and deaths and these states have the more strict gun control laws in the nation

Maybe looking for an outright solution isn't plausible and deterring ppl who shouldn't qualify from owning guns could possibly save some lives and make people feel better about possible progress. If Maryland and Illinois was already leading the nation in gun violence, do you think it would be plausible that it would change over a short span of time? Should they do nothing instead? What about all the evidence pointing to gun control proving to be positive, of which far outweighs the opposition?

Rest in Power Chadwick

GopherIt!
RealGM
And1: 24,142

Post#1171 » by GopherIt! » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:41 am

DayofMourning wrote:Sensitive subject, but lots of interesting insight by you guys.

Another issue is that this kid goes on a shooting spree but now is going to siphon tax dollars for his trial, handling and prison expense. A compounded problem isn't it?

capital punishment DoM. there's no fear of recourse here in cali.

2 yrs ago, i had a friend lose his 20yr old son to murder. my friend quit his job after. he and his wife have devoted the past two plus years to seeking justice w no avail. perps r free and currently in college.
eddieheatfan
RealGM

Post#1172 » by eddieheatfan » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:48 am

Bishop45 wrote:
eddieheatfan wrote:of course i have a problem but thats why backgrounds checks do exist.in this case it failed, and lets not forget that there's a black market for weapons as well that no laws in place can regulate.so, yeah i agree its a mental health issue.how do we solve it? with more laws that makes us "feel" safe or to actually implement the laws that exists already on the books and improve our mental health programs

Maybe looking for an outright solution isn't plausible and deterring ppl who shouldn't qualify from owning guns could possibly save some lives and make people feel better about possible progress. If Maryland and Illinois was already leading the nation in gun violence, do you think it would be plausible that it would change over a short span of time? Should they do nothing instead? What about all the evidence pointing to gun control proving to be positive, of which far outweighs the opposition?

let me ask you a question, of those victims of gun violence that died at the hand of criminals and gangs and the like how many of them would be alive today because they relied on self protection (owning a gun) than of relying on the police to do their job? are the free gun laws working in said states to make them safe??i'd said NO,these laws has nice as they are have failed to protect the american people of those places from thugs and criminals. in my view it all lies with law enforcement doing their job to protect their citizens not by disarming them but actually go after the criminal element of our society with a heavy hand and also more and better mental health programs

feeling safe wont do jack if you arent really safe from thugs,criminals and mentally unstable people.

the world is full of bad people so its on the onus of the good people to protect themselves since by the time the police arrive to protect them it may be already late..

like i said people are highly emotional right now and both parties are exploiting this emotional state to their agendas

lastly,if a criminal or a mentally unstable people/person is going to harm someone he is going to do it with a gun,with a machete,a knife,a car or whatever device he can get his hands on to do harm.because thats what bad people do
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 79,961

Post#1173 » by DayofMourning » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:28 am

GopherIt! wrote:
DayofMourning wrote:Sensitive subject, but lots of interesting insight by you guys.

Another issue is that this kid goes on a shooting spree but now is going to siphon tax dollars for his trial, handling and prison expense. A compounded problem isn't it?

2 yrs ago, i had a friend lose his 20yr old son to murder. my friend quit his job after. he and his wife have devoted the past two plus years to seeking justice w no avail. perps r free and currently in college.

Sorry to hear that man. I know it's got to be painful for them.

I do feel that if a murderer is caught and they are guilty without a doubt then they can be cut loose. I don't have any sympathy for cold blooded killers. Why waste resources on them?
Chalm Down
RealGM
And1: 132,753

Post#1174 » by Chalm Down » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:39 am

GopherIt! wrote:

Sorry about your friend and their family, Goph.

I think capital punishment is legal in California, though.
Bishop45 wrote:"Let Iggie start the season brehs, was the wors that could happen"
Bishop45
RealGM

Post#1175 » by Bishop45 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:13 pm

Read on Twitter

Rest in Power Chadwick

delanka
Veteran
And1: 16,314

Post#1176 » by delanka » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:33 pm

Bishop45 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Tell Goodboy! He's gonna love that. :D
Heat3
RealGM
And1: 14,211

Post#1177 » by Heat3 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:44 am

eddieheatfan wrote:

Read on Twitter

A report from Chicago authorities found that nearly 60% of illegal guns recovered in the city from 2009 to 2013 were first sold in states with more lax gun laws. The largest portion came from Indiana, which accounted for 19% of the illegal guns in Chicago.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2015/10/28/lax-indiana-gun-laws/74740388/

I don't know what the FBI could have done regarding this shooter. Unless this guy had documented plans for his attack, I don't see how they arrest him or take away his gun. Its not like Minority Report, can't magically arrest people for a crime they haven't committed.
Pat Riley wrote:There are only two options regarding commitment. You're either IN or you're OUT. There is no such thing as life in-between.

James Johnson wrote:The culture is REAL.

Heat3
RealGM
And1: 14,211

Post#1178 » by Heat3 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:48 am

Pat Riley wrote:There are only two options regarding commitment. You're either IN or you're OUT. There is no such thing as life in-between.

James Johnson wrote:The culture is REAL.

eddieheatfan
RealGM

Post#1179 » by eddieheatfan » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:23 am

Heat3 wrote:
eddieheatfan wrote:

Read on Twitter

A report from Chicago authorities found that nearly 60% of illegal guns recovered in the city from 2009 to 2013 were first sold in states with more lax gun laws. The largest portion came from Indiana, which accounted for 19% of the illegal guns in Chicago.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2015/10/28/lax-indiana-gun-laws/74740388/

I don't know what the FBI could have done regarding this shooter. Unless this guy had documented plans for his attack, I don't see how they arrest him or take away his gun. Its not like Minority Report, can't magically arrest people for a crime they haven't committed.
someone rattled the guy because he made a comment on a yt video about doing what he did and the FBI got a wind of the guy and didnt even investigate.

aside from that,i agree crimes like that are hard to contain because the person who is going to do harm to somebody will use anything to do so

btw,how convenient for the city of chicago to claim that up to 60 percent of guns are from neighboring states.how do they know this?

also there's the fact that up to 40 percent of guns seems to come from inside the state still.if that claim is true.which i highly doubt for one reason alone,criminals never obey the law thats why they are criminals.

in an ideal world,people should all live gun free and sing kumbaya together in peace.but we live in a less of a perfect world where evil people exists and the police cant be everywhere at the same time trying to protect you.till robocop arrives :lol: or we collectively give up our rights and become a police state. and even then security,total security wont be a guarantee just look at venezuela high crime rate
goodboy
RealGM
And1: 185,291

Post#1180 » by goodboy » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:38 am

what happenrf here
Bright

Return to Miami Heat