ImageImageImage

GT: Heat @ Magic, Saturday Oct 7th, 7:00 PM EST

Moderators: KingDavid, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, MettaWorldPanda, heat4life

HeatFanLifer
General Manager
And1: 39,855

Re: GT: Heat @ Magic, Saturday Oct 7th, 7:00 PM EST 

Post#401 » by HeatFanLifer » Sun Oct 8, 2017 3:39 am

Olynyk gave the Heat a solid inside presence on defense from what I saw. Teams have to respect KO's offensive game as well. I think the Celtics are really going to miss him.

If Mcroberts was even close to what KO is, the Heat would have beaten the Raptors in the Eastern Conference Semi-Finals and probably made the playoffs last year.
OP for NBA FT record
Bishop45
RealGM
And1: 109,496

Post#402 » by Bishop45 » Sun Oct 8, 2017 4:20 am

Wiltside wrote:Ok, I’ve let that game sit with me for a bit.

Don’t think we should see Kelly and Hassan on the floor together much. Just too slow footed in today’s NBA.

If we are intent on playing Winslow as a PF, and we think JJ is better suited off the bench with his boy TJ...why wouldn’t we start Winslow at the 4? Can get him some reps handling the ball, and with Goran, Dion and Rodney there should be enough spacing anyway. Defensively, it makes a ton of sense too.

Dragic / JRich
Waiters / TJ
McGruder / Ellington
Winslow / JJ
Hassan / Olynyk

JJ gets to be the primary playmaker on that second unit, which leverages his strengths too.

Between JJ and Kelly... that's a lot of money on the bench

Defense still doesn't look great as well. I'd keep JJ and Winslow together and put another 5 on the court
Long Live Winnie. Mamba siempre

Rest in Power Chadwick

#PeaceinGaza #FreedomforPalestine
Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 71,937

Post#403 » by Wiltside » Sun Oct 8, 2017 4:27 am

Bishop45 wrote:
Wiltside wrote:Ok, I’ve let that game sit with me for a bit.

Don’t think we should see Kelly and Hassan on the floor together much. Just too slow footed in today’s NBA.

If we are intent on playing Winslow as a PF, and we think JJ is better suited off the bench with his boy TJ...why wouldn’t we start Winslow at the 4? Can get him some reps handling the ball, and with Goran, Dion and Rodney there should be enough spacing anyway. Defensively, it makes a ton of sense too.

Dragic / JRich
Waiters / TJ
McGruder / Ellington
Winslow / JJ
Hassan / Olynyk

JJ gets to be the primary playmaker on that second unit, which leverages his strengths too.

Between JJ and Kelly... that's a lot of money on the bench

Defense still doesn't look great as well. I'd keep JJ and Winslow together and put another 5 on the court

Just not sure on Justise and JJ on the court together. It’s too early to truly tell, but both are really Point-Forwards, they need the rock.

It would be a lot of money on our bench, but really, our bench is a little different to most teams. Arguably, our bench will play almost even minutes as our starters. Certainly at certain positions anyway.
Formerly BG44, MB30 and Wade County at BasketballForum.com
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,633

Post#404 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Oct 8, 2017 5:51 am

I keep telling myself its preseason but what difference have any of you seen from Winslow preseason year 3 vs preseason year 1? I keep waiting to see the confident offensive player I saw in college and its just not there. If he isnt initiating a play on offense hes a massive negative on offense. If you wouldve told me year 3 Rondae Hollis Jefferson looks to be the more complete offensive player and with a more reliable jumper over Winslow I wouldve laughed my ass off.

I get its just preseason and hes still only freaking 21 years old. Its just the complete lack of progression in 2 years is the shocking thing to me. He hasnt made a 3pt shot yet and hes shooting under 50% from the line. I know Im probably being way too harsh for just a few preseason games.
Bishop45
RealGM

Post#405 » by Bishop45 » Sun Oct 8, 2017 6:20 am

Duke4life831 wrote:I keep telling myself its preseason but what difference have any of you seen from Winslow preseason year 3 vs preseason year 1? I keep waiting to see the confident offensive player I saw in college and its just not there. If he isnt initiating a play on offense hes a massive negative on offense. If you wouldve told me year 3 Rondae Hollis Jefferson looks to be the more complete offensive player and with a more reliable jumper over Winslow I wouldve laughed my ass off.

I get its just preseason and hes still only freaking 21 years old. Its just the complete lack of progression in 2 years is the shocking thing to me. He hasnt made a 3pt shot yet and hes shooting under 50% from the line. I know Im probably being way too harsh for just a few preseason games.

Yes and no imo

Not harsh to say his game hasn't developed much since year 1 but it's only been 3 preseason games and the volume to judge (from him averaging like 3 attempts a game) just isn't there.

Gahdamb, the Hollis Jefferson thing jumped out at me last game as well. He was hitting turnaround jumpers last year but he was smoooth with it the other day. I didn't watch Winslow too much in College but confidence in his offense isn't his thing right now. I think he needs to take open jumpers like Marcus Smart and just deal with the consequences, it's the only way he's going to get over

Rest in Power Chadwick

CanesHeatFins
Senior
And1: 650

Post#406 » by CanesHeatFins » Sun Oct 8, 2017 6:31 am

Duke4life831 wrote:I keep telling myself its preseason but what difference have any of you seen from Winslow preseason year 3 vs preseason year 1? I keep waiting to see the confident offensive player I saw in college and its just not there. If he isnt initiating a play on offense hes a massive negative on offense. If you wouldve told me year 3 Rondae Hollis Jefferson looks to be the more complete offensive player and with a more reliable jumper over Winslow I wouldve laughed my ass off.

He hasn't shown progression in either seasons, preseasons, or even freakin summer league games either. Guys already lining up excuses for failure "playing bad because he's a wing playing the 4"...... "his teammates aren't passing him the ball". Been saying for two years that jRich is better. Winslow needs two months of freedom up in Sioux Falls to get his game right. Like 22 shot attempts per game freedom. We probably can't build our future thru the draft and we spent this year's 1st on a guy that Spo will never let play next to Whiteside, we gotta find a way to make this Winslow thing work.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#407 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Oct 8, 2017 6:38 am

Bishop45 wrote:

Yes and no imo

Not harsh to say his game hasn't developed much since year 1 but it's only been 3 preseason games and the volume to judge (from him averaging like 3 attempts a game) just isn't there.

Gahdamb, the Hollis Jefferson thing jumped out at me last game as well. He was hitting turnaround jumpers last year but he was smoooth with it the other day. I didn't watch Winslow too much in College but confidence in his offense isn't his thing right now. I think he needs to take open jumpers like Marcus Smart and just deal with the consequences, it's the only way he's going to get over

Ya I know its only 3 preseason games, which in another way to put it 0 volume to judge from haha. I just get really hot headed with my Dukies, really high highs and really low lows and it can go from one to the other really quick haha. Ya I caught a few Nets games last year and I remember thinking to myself man RHJ is coming along pretty well, knowing from where he was at in college offensively (basically 0 offensive game to speak of). Then I see him the other day and he looks even more improved and I couldnt believe I was saying to myself, RHJ looks to have a better offensive skill set than Winslow.

I agree 100% with the Smart thing and look at Smart now, still only 23 and from all reports from Boston is his shot has finally really started to come around. And from the 2 preseason games it doesnt look like that was all just the usual team speak you hear every year. His form looks so much better. And again hes only 23, Winslow still has 2 years to do the same. Im really curious on how Spo is going to go at it with Winslow, is he going to turn him full time to a 4 and try to copy Draymond Green. Or is he going to be a perimeter guy, with his slashing ability (still needs to improve finishing) if you add a consistent 3pt shot to that, you looking at a pretty good perimeter player. And with his weight loss this summer, it seems like Winslow wants to be that perimeter guy and not the 4 man.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#408 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Oct 8, 2017 6:44 am

CanesHeatFins wrote:

He hasn't shown progression in either seasons, preseasons, or even freakin summer league games either. Guys already lining up excuses for failure "playing bad because he's a wing playing the 4"...... "his teammates aren't passing him the ball". Been saying for two years that jRich is better. Winslow needs two months of freedom up in Sioux Falls to get his game right. Like 22 shot attempts per game freedom. We probably can't build our future thru the draft and we spent this year's 1st on a guy that Spo will never let play next to Whiteside, we gotta find a way to make this Winslow thing work.

I get its year 3, but a trip down to the G league might not be the worst thing for him. Like I said at Duke the dude was the definition of confidence, offense or defense it didnt matter. You couldnt leave him alone outside because he would yell for the ball and drain a 3 with consistency and if a player played up on him, game over hed drive and finish at the rim. There is none of that now with him. When I see him bring up the ball for a few straight possessions I start to see it kind of, but then he slashes and gets to wherever he wants but then he ends up at the FT line and that seems to kill all his confidence.

I agree I think a trip down to the G league where he can have the ball in his hands every possession, put up 20 shots a game and just do whatever and get to see that ball go through the hoop on a consistent basis might do a ton for him. Cause right now he seems like a player lacking confidence and is just stuck in the mud.
blazeyo
Sixth Man
And1: 1,864

Post#409 » by blazeyo » Sun Oct 8, 2017 6:50 am

Adebayo makes me think like who the **** is this guy dribbling down the floor so **** fast? and everytime I'm surprised it's the god damn center Bam.

Guy is super fast for his size.. league better watch out.
goodboy
RealGM
And1: 185,294

Post#410 » by goodboy » Sun Oct 8, 2017 7:42 am

You know its bad when Duke4life831 is disappointed in Winslows progression.
Bright
contract
RealGM
And1: 20,786

Post#411 » by contract » Sun Oct 8, 2017 10:24 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
CanesHeatFins wrote:

I get its year 3, but a trip down to the G league might not be the worst thing for him. Like I said at Duke the dude was the definition of confidence, offense or defense it didnt matter. You couldnt leave him alone outside because he would yell for the ball and drain a 3 with consistency and if a player played up on him, game over hed drive and finish at the rim. There is none of that now with him. When I see him bring up the ball for a few straight possessions I start to see it kind of, but then he slashes and gets to wherever he wants but then he ends up at the FT line and that seems to kill all his confidence.

I agree I think a trip down to the G league where he can have the ball in his hands every possession, put up 20 shots a game and just do whatever and get to see that ball go through the hoop on a consistent basis might do a ton for him. Cause right now he seems like a player lacking confidence and is just stuck in the mud.

Nope. He needs to learn to be effective without dominating the ball, because there is no future in that. With the ball in his hands, he's a poor man's James Johnson because he can't shoot or finish like him, and that's just never going to be any team's best option.
:meditate: Team Small Ball :meditate:
contract
RealGM

Post#412 » by contract » Sun Oct 8, 2017 11:07 am

PizzaLord305 wrote:
ReturnofMVP3 wrote:
Bishop45 wrote:
Unless Rich's shooting 35+ from 3 on a consistent basis, I'm taking Winslow over him, especially at the 3. Straight libel smh

Unless Winslow starts shooting consistently he is an offensive liability. He can defend great but every time he shot last season it was a nail bitter.

i think thats our problem here. we assume that just because he cant shoot well, hes a liability offensively, but he has other clear and effective offensive skills. he can handle man he crossed the hell of d lo against the nets, hes a really good passer and decision maker, he can get to the bucket, hes a good cutter. he can be a good point forward right now, he should be used that way.

No he can't be a good point forward, because he can't shoot and he can't finish. And he's not a Rondo level distributor, so it will never make any sense to let him dominate the ball just so that we can justify his pick.

Spo's job isn't to run the team in the way that best suits Justise Winslow.
contract
RealGM

Post#413 » by contract » Sun Oct 8, 2017 11:21 am

rate_ wrote:It's like half of Winslows long range shots don't even touch rim. It either grazes the backboard or its airballed.

Honest to God, he shoots like I do ... when I take off my glasses. He shoots like he can't even see the rim. Just a blurry backboard. And the worst part is that he doesn't even shoot well from in close.

Everytime I see him put up a floater in the paint like he's unathletic 6'0 tall Sherman Douglas, my blood pressure goes up. And frankly, that's probably his best shot. :nonono:
KingDavid
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 39,859

Post#414 » by KingDavid » Sun Oct 8, 2017 11:52 am

Whoa, Winslow must have been truly awful.
#HEATLifer

Long Live Kobe Bryant. My idol's idol.
Bishop45
RealGM

Post#415 » by Bishop45 » Sun Oct 8, 2017 12:13 pm

KingDavid wrote:Whoa, Winslow must have been truly awful.

Wasn't even, he had a nice impact on the game and barely touched the ball. We're talking about his usage relative to his offensive game because there's no reason for him to have had as few touches as he had. Not good for development of a young player or team as a whole right now

Everybody else is judging whether we should be critical of his progression when he's played less than 1 1/4th seasons

Rest in Power Chadwick

LordRiley
Sixth Man
And1: 6,515

Post#416 » by LordRiley » Sun Oct 8, 2017 12:33 pm

This is Winslow’s 3rd season. Whenever he’s played, he’s looked the same which is borderline awful. I was hopeful for him this season, but he looks even worse than lastyear. His defense is also overrated on here, i see him getting scored on easily. IF he doesn’t show anything by season’s end, Pat is going to trade him. Can’t waste anymore time with Winslow, it’s put up or shut up time.
Sign5
Head Coach
And1: 9,680

Post#417 » by Sign5 » Sun Oct 8, 2017 12:46 pm

Winslow just isnt that good. I've held my tongue for some time because i was so hopeful, its not even like Beasley where you saw flashes of REAL potential, dude currently seems be a better play making Tony Allen at best which is dissapointing.

I really hope he makes me eat crow but im just not seeing enough to continue hoping he becomes Kawhi/Jimmy which we thought he could transform into. He still looks awkward as hell on offense like he has no clue what to do, its painful to watch.
rate_
Analyst
And1: 8,214

Post#418 » by rate_ » Sun Oct 8, 2017 12:59 pm

Why hasn't Winslow showcase his post game, floater and push shots that we saw last season? I feel even without a jumper, he can still bring more to the offense:

perempe20
Sixth Man
And1: 932

Post#419 » by perempe20 » Sun Oct 8, 2017 1:08 pm

Hassan is world class. incredible versatility.
Mos_Heat
RealGM
And1: 36,800

Post#420 » by Mos_Heat » Sun Oct 8, 2017 1:09 pm

Seems like professor Spo about to ruin Bustise as a bball player.

Do not like KO/Whiteside frontcourt.
:reporter:

Return to Miami Heat