ImageImageImage

World Politics

Moderators: KingDavid, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside

HeatFanLifer
General Manager
And1: 39,855

Re: World Politics T.A.N. 

Post#161 » by HeatFanLifer » Thu Nov 9, 2017 8:27 pm

Politics is way too polarized, which is exactly what the enemies of America want. I think the media is the most to blame here.

They are the watchdogs of government, but it's all partisan now. This causes people to not trust the source of information and instead look at "alternate" sources of media. Thus falling right into these fake news outlets trap.

Personally, I can see why a person hates trump and I can see why a person likes him. If I can see it, why can't the "experts" in the media? They are failing America.
OP for NBA FT record
Bottomsouth
Pro Prospect
And1: 268

Post#162 » by Bottomsouth » Thu Nov 9, 2017 8:37 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Bottomsouth
Pro Prospect

Post#163 » by Bottomsouth » Thu Nov 9, 2017 8:42 pm

Bishop45 wrote:https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/11/2/16496746/virginia-election-statehouse-downballot

Read on Twitter

He said a little more than that. I feel the media and people exaggerate cut out bits of statements.

During an event with Axios and NBC in Washington, D.C., Perry brought up sexual assault after launching into a story about a trip to Africa, where he said "people are dying" because they don't have access to energy.

"And it's going to take fossil fuels to push power out into those villages in Africa, where a young girl said to my face, 'One of the reasons that electricity is so important to me is not only because I'm not going to have to try and read by the light of a fire and have those fumes literally kill people," Perry said.

He continued: "But also from the standpoint of sexual assault. When the lights are on, when you have light that shines, the righteousness, if you will, on those types of acts."
Bishop45
RealGM
And1: 109,456

Post#164 » by Bishop45 » Thu Nov 9, 2017 10:41 pm

Bottomsouth wrote:
Bishop45 wrote:https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/11/2/16496746/virginia-election-statehouse-downballot

Read on Twitter

He said a little more than that. I feel the media and people exaggerate cut out bits of statements.

During an event with Axios and NBC in Washington, D.C., Perry brought up sexual assault after launching into a story about a trip to Africa, where he said "people are dying" because they don't have access to energy.

"And it's going to take fossil fuels to push power out into those villages in Africa, where a young girl said to my face, 'One of the reasons that electricity is so important to me is not only because I'm not going to have to try and read by the light of a fire and have those fumes literally kill people," Perry said.

He continued: "But also from the standpoint of sexual assault. When the lights are on, when you have light that shines, the righteousness, if you will, on those types of acts."

He actual said the former and this tho

It's a pretty ridiculous justification
Long Live Winnie. Mamba siempre

Rest in Power Chadwick

#PeaceinGaza #FreedomforPalestine
Bishop45
RealGM

Post#165 » by Bishop45 » Thu Nov 9, 2017 10:44 pm

HeatFanLifer wrote:Politics is way too polarized, which is exactly what the enemies of America want. I think the media is the most to blame here.

They are the watchdogs of government, but it's all partisan now. This causes people to not trust the source of information and instead look at "alternate" sources of media. Thus falling right into these fake news outlets trap.

Personally, I can see why a person hates trump and I can see why a person likes him. If I can see it, why can't the "experts" in the media? They are failing America.

Leaning media is definitely an issue and bias is real but in no way does it justify the erosion of facts

Rest in Power Chadwick

Bottomsouth
Pro Prospect

Post#166 » by Bottomsouth » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:00 pm

Bishop45 wrote:
Bottomsouth wrote:

Read on Twitter

He actual said the former and this tho

It's a pretty ridiculous justification

Ridiculous to you. It's a statement not some detailed policy or legal statute. It'll be fine. You can't get frustrated at everything in life.
Bishop45
RealGM

Post#167 » by Bishop45 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:06 pm

Bottomsouth wrote:
Ridiculous to you. It's a statement not some detailed policy or legal statute. It'll be fine. You can't get frustrated at everything in life.

Explain it to me, so it doesn't sound ridiculous.

Rest in Power Chadwick

Bottomsouth
Pro Prospect

Post#168 » by Bottomsouth » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:18 pm

Bishop45 wrote:
Bottomsouth wrote:

It's ok.
Bishop45
RealGM

Post#169 » by Bishop45 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:50 pm

Bottomsouth wrote:
Bishop45 wrote:
Bottomsouth wrote:

It's ok.

You responded to my op as if they're something important to note but I'm making some unnecessary fuss for clarity?

Rest in Power Chadwick

Bishop45
RealGM

Post#170 » by Bishop45 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:18 pm

What allegedly happened next is the scary part of the story. At about 8 a.m. Saturday, unusually early for the kingdom, Hariri was summoned to meet MBS. The trappings of protocol were gone; Hariri traveled in two cars with only his personal security. He was out of sight for several hours.

Hariri next appeared publicly on television, at about 2 p.m., reading a statement saying that he was resigning as prime minister because of Iranian threats on his life and Tehran’s export of “devastation and chaos.” Such belligerent language about Iran was uncharacteristic for Hariri, and none of his regular speechwriters were consulted about the speech.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/global-opinions/saudi-arabia-forcibly-detained-lebanons-prime-minister-sources-say/2017/11/10/b93a1fb4-c647-11e7-84bc-5e285c7f4512_story.html?utm_term=.3eff154e1625

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Rest in Power Chadwick

Bishop45
RealGM

Post#171 » by Bishop45 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:10 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Rest in Power Chadwick

Bishop45
RealGM

Post#172 » by Bishop45 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:26 pm

Rest in Power Chadwick

Bishop45
RealGM

Post#173 » by Bishop45 » Fri Dec 1, 2017 2:42 pm

Read on Twitter

Glad somebody put Veritas out there, embarrassing

Read on Twitter

Rest in Power Chadwick

HeatFanLifer
General Manager
And1: 39,855

Post#174 » by HeatFanLifer » Fri Dec 1, 2017 4:14 pm

Bishop45 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Let me preclude here by saying the biggest thing I killed was a bird once and that was on accident after I did a reaction stomp on it when it attacked me.

With that said, there's two legitimate viewpoints I can think of on this issue. Idealist and realist.

The idealist perspective is that killing these lions is wrong. Many people agree with this perspective, but there are often several competing morals that forces people to prioritize which moral is more important. I.e. "Which is more important? Saving lions, or native people's livelihood?"

The realist perspective may also have an underlying idealist perspective, but also realizes that that the lion hunting industry in these countries provides income for natives and protection from poachers. It's a very Machiavellian perspective of the ends justifying the means, but that appears to be why these permits were issued.

Of course there are many other positions one can take on this, such as nihilist which basically is "well these lions are gonna die one way or another." But it's not a very legitimate reason in our political system for making a decision.

If anyone else has a perspective on this though, I'd be curious to hear it.
OP for NBA FT record
jswede
Sixth Man
And1: 1,840

Post#175 » by jswede » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:26 pm

ReturnofMVP3
RealGM
And1: 11,580

Post#176 » by ReturnofMVP3 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:28 am

Very novel approach in alternative energy through plants, I think gene modification would be the best bet (though the video mentions that so far gene editing hasn't produced high yields). What stood out in this video was the idea of using this tech on trees. What if we could grow genetically modified trees that glowed in the dark. We could literally save a lot of money and reduce the creation and wasting of energy at night. Science is rad.

Spoiler:
My account was hacked.Who the **** likes science.
Donald Trump is an idiot.
Bishop45
RealGM

Post#177 » by Bishop45 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:49 pm

That's cool RMVOP, I was wondering why they didn't just use bioluminescent fungi instead of making their own out of plants but I guess if the ultimate goal is to produce trees then it makes sense.

For any Fungi fans

Old video but in light of recent tweets from president Trump, good perspective. No opinions in it, just timeline of statements

Rest in Power Chadwick

Bishop45
RealGM

Post#178 » by Bishop45 » Fri Jan 5, 2018 2:16 pm

In hospitals already

Rest in Power Chadwick

Bishop45
RealGM

Re: World Politics 

Post#179 » by Bishop45 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:27 am

Didn't know about this, Sweden always doing things

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Glad this scam's getting some light, hope to ride around the city someday and not see a "Charter" school in sight

Yesterday, after 17 years of operation, the school came to a spectacular end, and many of Filichia’s concerns suddenly seemed prophetic. (Lager and ECOT officials did not reply to repeated requests for comment.) Despite years of critics raising similar concerns, the school’s demise happened quickly, after two Ohio Department of Education reviews from 2016 and 2017 found that ECOT had overbilled taxpayers by $80 million for thousands of students it couldn’t show were meeting the department’s enrollment standards.

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2018/01/the-gops-biggest-charter-school-experiment-just-imploded/

Rest in Power Chadwick

SpoSucks
Junior
And1: 1,262

Re: World Politics 

Post#180 » by SpoSucks » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:29 am

Bishop45 wrote:Didn't know about this, Sweden always doing things

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Glad this scam's getting some light, hope to ride around the city someday and not see a "Charter" school in sight

Yesterday, after 17 years of operation, the school came to a spectacular end, and many of Filichia’s concerns suddenly seemed prophetic. (Lager and ECOT officials did not reply to repeated requests for comment.) Despite years of critics raising similar concerns, the school’s demise happened quickly, after two Ohio Department of Education reviews from 2016 and 2017 found that ECOT had overbilled taxpayers by $80 million for thousands of students it couldn’t show were meeting the department’s enrollment standards.

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2018/01/the-gops-biggest-charter-school-experiment-just-imploded/

Why is this bull allowed in a basketball forum?

Return to Miami Heat