ImageImageImage

Official HEAT 2017-18 Regular Season Thread - Vol. I

Moderators: KingDavid, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside

Flash4thewin
RealGM
And1: 8,027

Re: Official HEAT 2017-18 Regular Season Thread - Vol. I 

Post#1721 » by Flash4thewin » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:55 pm

One thing the elephant in the room is Pat and how long he will be here. Remember he has gone on record about leaving sooner than later even taking about retirement. He has one foot out the door how they say. One just needs to look at the Dolphins to see what a change in leadership can lead too.
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 79,703

Post#1722 » by DayofMourning » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:33 pm

Mos_Heat wrote:And yes, good front office is a big part of your success, but without ellite/generational talent you are Toronto Raptors/Atlanta Hawks. That's a fine place to be in, but you won't win a chit

If Riley stepped down after the season and said my successor is Moscow Heat, what would you try to do short term and long term to make this roster a contender?
Mos_Heat
RealGM
And1: 36,798

Post#1723 » by Mos_Heat » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:16 pm

DayofMourning wrote:
Mos_Heat wrote:And yes, good front office is a big part of your success, but without ellite/generational talent you are Toronto Raptors/Atlanta Hawks. That's a fine place to be in, but you won't win a chit

If Riley stepped down after the season and said my successor is Moscow Heat, what would you try to do short term and long term to make this roster a contender?

2-year tank, probably.

Trade Dragic for an unprotected 1st. I think Indy would be interested. Collison/pick for Dragic

Same story with Hassan. Maybe Charlote would want him, they are screwed anyway. Howard/pick for Hassan.

I have no idea what to do with JJ, TJ, Dion and KO. That's the toughest part. I guess Olynyk can be viewed as a positive contract, but other three definitely not. Maybe JJ/Dion for Parsons/Rabb/1st rnd pick(with protections)/2nd rnd pick.

I would also try to get Hezonja. My guess 3/21 would be enough.

Not sure you can do all these trades, but that would be my template
:reporter:
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1724 » by DayofMourning » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:44 pm

Mos_Heat wrote:2-year tank, probably.

Trade Dragic for an unprotected 1st. I think Indy would be interested. Collison/pick for Dragic

Same story with Hassan. Maybe Charlote would want him, they are screwed anyway. Howard/pick for Hassan.

I have no idea what to do with JJ, TJ, Dion and KO. That's the toughest part. I guess Olynyk can be viewed as a positive contract, but other three definitely not. Maybe JJ/Dion for Parsons/Rabb/1st rnd pick(with protections)/2nd rnd pick.

I would also try to get Hezonja. My guess 3/21 would be enough.

Not sure you can do all these trades, but that would be my template

I like it. I think your first two trade ideas would have traction.

I also agree with JJ, TJ, and Dion being tough to manage. That's why I think your last trade idea wouldn't fare well. Nobody is going to want them unless we take something awful in return.

I'd let KO sling it 20 times a game in the aftermath of your trades. He has serious offensive skills, but doesn't have a set role from game to game. Feel like he could be a fun player if he had his role expanded.

So you've gained two first rounders. I assume were giving Phoenix the 2018 pick. That let's us keep the 2019. Can't say I'm fascinated by anybody in that class yet. Bagley, Ayton and Bamba were already in my sights at the same point last year. Do you think it'd be better to have a top 7 pick in this coming draft or a possible top 3 next year based on the blowup?
Magic Giannison
RealGM
And1: 27,027

Post#1725 » by Magic Giannison » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:52 pm

Yo, wheres the all star thread at?
Mos_Heat
RealGM
And1: 36,798

Post#1726 » by Mos_Heat » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:10 pm

DayofMourning wrote:

I also agree with JJ, TJ, and Dion being tough to manage. That's why I think your last trade idea wouldn't fare well. Nobody is going to want them unless we take something awful in return.

I'd let KO sling it 20 times a game in the aftermath of your trades. He has serious offensive skills, but doesn't have a set role from game to game. Feel like he could be a fun player if he had his role expanded.

So you've gained two first rounders. I assume were giving Phoenix the 2018 pick. That let's us keep the 2019. Can't say I'm fascinated by anybody in that class yet. Bagley, Ayton and Bamba were already in my sights at the same point last year. Do you think it'd be better to have a top 7 pick in this coming draft or a possible top 3 next year based on the blowup?

Not a fan of 18' draft class tbh, although mixing Bam with his lost brother JJJr kinda intriguing. Would rather have perimeter weapon like Barret or Reddish.

But 19' draft is not deep enough. Could be a problem with new lottery system
:reporter:
IggieCC
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 239,684

Post#1727 » by IggieCC » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:32 pm

Magic Giannison wrote:Yo, wheres the all star thread at?

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1672793&start=660#p63506690
:usa:
3rd best winnng%(73.3%) + most wins(11w) = best true winning % OP
Sole Multiple Banner Holder of 2021-2022 SZN. FACTS
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1728 » by DayofMourning » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:43 pm

Mos_Heat wrote:
DayofMourning wrote:

Not a fan of 18' draft class tbh, although mixing Bam with his lost brother JJJr kinda intriguing. Would rather have perimeter weapon like Barret or Reddish.

But 19' draft is not deep enough. Could be a problem with new lottery system

I was glancing over those two wings weaknesses and it looks like neither is a good shooter. Not that they can't improve but the lack of a jump shot is a problem we already have in one of our young wings.

In comparison, Mikal Bridges is sharpshooter from about anywhere on the floor and has the type of length (crazy wingspan) that has made him a very good defender (some would argue he's the best in college). It also prevents him from getting his shot blocked at the rim (he's had some monster dunks in traffic this year) like our Winslow.

Now I don't think Bridges is going to be a superstar (his iso to the basket game is fairly poor), but if I'm building a team then he's a perfect fit.

Now, I've gone off on a tangent, but what I've been roundabout in getting to is that I'd take a wing like Bridges (who'd be in range if your trades went through) who I have faith will play his role perfectly and take another player in this lotto over Reddish or Barrett in next years draft and something else.

JJJ is a very intriguing player. His stats extrapolated over starters minutes are pretty nuts. Don't see him as a superstar either. I might only see stardom in Ayton, Bagley, and possibly Trae though.
puppa bear
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,500

Official HEAT 2017-18 Regular Season Thread - Vol. I 

Post#1729 » by puppa bear » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:54 am

DayofMourning wrote:
Rafly wrote:
puppa bear wrote:The second the Suns make our pick this year we can trade the 2019 pick. So a new asset becomes available in a trade for a star. Dragic is now an All-Star, so there will be a little more interest in playing with him.

Can’t trade a first round pick in back to back years so 2019 FRP can’t be traded and neither can 2020 as 2021 FRP goes to suns. Only way they can trade those is after they pick the player and trade his rights.

Right. We can trade the 2019 pick if we've selected a player with it, but we can't trade the pick itself.

Sorry, you're both wrong. We can't be owing draft picks in consecutive years. What has happened, is done. So, once the 2018 draft is done and dusted the only drafts influenced by the Stepien rule are the 2019 onwards (it only protects the future). At that point we had a debt in 2021, so we can't trade 2020 or 2022. 2019 is free to fly.

2020 can only be traded as a player's rights, after making the selection, because of the future commitments. 2022 will be able to be traded straight after the 2021 draft, just like the 2019 will become available this offseason (unless the 2023 is traded by that time, which is likely with Pat).

At the time it looked like a stupid play, having 2 years between, but what it actually did was handcuff Riley from trading too many picks straight away and force him to save an asset for next year. I feel like it's an accidentally smart move.
spectrec130
Starter
And1: 1,813

Post#1730 » by spectrec130 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:36 am

Bourne85 wrote:Our problem (and I have said this many times) is we don’t have any top end talent. Period. You don’t win crap in this league with the type of team we have assembled. Our entire team is one big role player. Sure you guys can call Dragic an “Allstar” if you wish. Our team is a “scrappy” team that plays hard etc etc but will not win a title with this team.

We won once and only once we drafted our top end talent. Our superstar. Wade. Other players want to play with guys like Wade. No one is coming here for Dragic or Whiteside or Bam.

Need to grab your superstar an start from there. And even that isn’t enough. Your star also needs to be a friendly guy that gets along with others. Can’t have those selfish types like Rose that wouldn’t even recruit. Need stars that are ready to basically collude now an days to have a chance.

I don’t get too high or too low on this team. They are what they are. A treadmill team. No reason to ever lose your cool with this team. These types of teams lose games in which they are supposed to win, win games in which they are supposed to lose. We will struggle to win even against the worst of the worst due to being a very mediocre Treadmill team. We aren’t meant to win right now.

Finish the season, pay your debt to the Suns. Blow it up sky high. An hit the reset button.

Only guys we should plan on keeping is Jrich and Bam. And Bam, when it’s time to pay him, pay him like the role player he is, and don’t go giving him 20mil per to grab a couple boards and play a lil defense. The salary cap exploded and teams lost their **** paying scrubs like Biyombo etc etc for no apparent reason at all.

Seriously the NBA has the clearest transparent formula to winning championships and being legit contenders. You either have superstars or you don’t. The other is your market. Which obviously that isn’t an issue here.

As you stated, this team is dire need of the top tier talent and until then all Miami will be is a treadmill. Should have tanked it and gotten an infusion of the talent needed to rebuild the franchise..... smh!
BaDaBo
Starter
And1: 7,401

Post#1731 » by BaDaBo » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:09 pm

This isn't exactly a response to anyone in this thread. It's not, directly, about this Miami. It's just a little rant that came to me while reading this thread, so bear in with me.

Spoiler:

1. I hate tanking.

Spoiler:

Yes tanking in the current system has it's benefits, picking higher in the draft & increasing your chances in getting a good prospect or an already good player and set you up for the future. But in my opinion no-one should be rewarded for intentional loosing. I'm of the opinion that you should give it all every season with the team you've built in the off-season and during the season. Now if you build a good team your chances of a good season are higher and if you didn't you hope for a stroke of luck or you deal with the cards dealt next off-season.

What I'm strying to say is that as a fan I'd rater see a team be good but not great than intentionally loosing. Especially when tanking isn't a sure thing and it's a lot more to drafting that just picking first. Also tanking might take more that 1-2 years as some hope. Look at Sac, PHX in the recent years. Even 76, how many historically bad years did they have to endure to be respectable this year?

But I cannot fault those who want to tank. As said before, if the system allows it, others will try to use it in their advantage, so why shouldn't you/we.

I would change the current draft to a lottery. Playoff teams get one ball & non playoff teams get 2balls in the draft and you do it at random. Will sometimes the NBA champion get a high pick? Sure, but it's not like it hasn't happen before or that it can't happen again (traded picks).

2. I hate new-age super teams

Spoiler:

Super teams have been around for a long time. Chicago with Jordan, Pippen, Rodman, Lakers with Magic & Kareen, Boston with Bird, McHale and others. But to me it seems that when super teams were formed in the 90is early 00 it all happened more naturally than it's happening today. Superstars tried longer to make it on their own, and only joined later in their careers. And when a super team formed it was the GMs that pulled off a trade or signed a player to make it happen. Is this just me looking at the past with rose colored glasses?

Today more and more it seems like players decide "Hey I want to play with that guy and that guy so together we can win a title, make it happen or I won't resign" or "trade me there to play with him or I'm leaving for nothing". I understand players wanting to win but man oh man are most of them seeking the easy way and it's just no fun. Any yeah players have way too much pull in todays NBA. Instead of Durant leading one team on quest to the finals, Steph leading another, Clay and Draymond another, they're all on the same team. Thats why I hoped the 2008 boston would fail, thats why I, sorry guys, hoped the Miami big three would fail and I was glad when Brooklyn failed, thats why I hoped Druant GSW would fail ( tho when they met LBJ in the finals I still wanted them to win, since I really don't like LBJ whos a poster child for this new trend). I didn't want them to start a trend.

So instead of lets say 4-6 or more teams having a legitimate shot at a title every year ( and a dark horse or two ),we've had 2 for the last 4 years. Maybe 3 this year with Hou.

Maybe things are cool for the NBA from a marketing point of view, but from a sports view it sucks.

3. Conclusion

Spoiler:

I just think the NBA should do something to make the NBA more interesting. If they could build a system where good players would be spread around the league more equally and more tams had a legitimate shot at winning the title & less incentive to tank, superstars wouldn't be looking to team up so much because they would have a chance to win on their own, and less teams would be tanking, if any.

That's it. Rant over. Hope I didn't derail the thread too much. Heres some gifs to make it up to you guys.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Disclaimer. I'm not saying this Miami team would have a chance in my version of the NBA. They would still need at least another mayor piece.
puppa bear
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,500

Post#1732 » by puppa bear » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:21 pm

BaDaBo wrote:This isn't exactly a response to anyone in this thread. It's not, directly, about this Miami. It's just a little rant that came to me while reading this thread, so bear in with me.

Spoiler:

1. I hate tanking.

Spoiler:

Yes tanking in the current system has it's benefits, picking higher in the draft & increasing your chances in getting a good prospect or an already good player and set you up for the future. But in my opinion no-one should be rewarded for intentional loosing. I'm of the opinion that you should give it all every season with the team you've built in the off-season and during the season. Now if you build a good team your chances of a good season are higher and if you didn't you hope for a stroke of luck or you deal with the cards dealt next off-season.

What I'm strying to say is that as a fan I'd rater see a team be good but not great than intentionally loosing. Especially when tanking isn't a sure thing and it's a lot more to drafting that just picking first. Also tanking might take more that 1-2 years as some hope. Look at Sac, PHX in the recent years. Even 76, how many historically bad years did they have to endure to be respectable this year?

But I cannot fault those who want to tank. As said before, if the system allows it, others will try to use it in their advantage, so why shouldn't you/we.

I would change the current draft to a lottery. Playoff teams get one ball & non playoff teams get 2balls in the draft and you do it at random. Will sometimes the NBA champion get a high pick? Sure, but it's not like it hasn't happen before or that it can't happen again (traded picks).

2. I hate new-age super teams

Spoiler:

Super teams have been around for a long time. Chicago with Jordan, Pippen, Rodman, Lakers with Magic & Kareen, Boston with Bird, McHale and others. But to me it seems that when super teams were formed in the 90is early 00 it all happened more naturally than it's happening today. Superstars tried longer to make it on their own, and only joined later in their careers. And when a super team formed it was the GMs that pulled off a trade or signed a player to make it happen. Is this just me looking at the past with rose colored glasses?

Today more and more it seems like players decide "Hey I want to play with that guy and that guy so together we can win a title, make it happen or I won't resign" or "trade me there to play with him or I'm leaving for nothing". I understand players wanting to win but man oh man are most of them seeking the easy way and it's just no fun. Any yeah players have way too much pull in todays NBA. Instead of Durant leading one team on quest to the finals, Steph leading another, Clay and Draymond another, they're all on the same team. Thats why I hoped the 2008 boston would fail, thats why I, sorry guys, hoped the Miami big three would fail and I was glad when Brooklyn failed, thats why I hoped Druant GSW would fail ( tho when they met LBJ in the finals I still wanted them to win, since I really don't like LBJ whos a poster child for this new trend). I didn't want them to start a trend.

So instead of lets say 4-6 or more teams having a legitimate shot at a title every year ( and a dark horse or two ),we've had 2 for the last 4 years. Maybe 3 this year with Hou.

Maybe things are cool for the NBA from a marketing point of view, but from a sports view it sucks.

3. Conclusion

Spoiler:

I just think the NBA should do something to make the NBA more interesting. If they could build a system where good players would be spread around the league more equally and more tams had a legitimate shot at winning the title & less incentive to tank, superstars wouldn't be looking to team up so much because they would have a chance to win on their own, and less teams would be tanking, if any.

That's it. Rant over. Hope I didn't derail the thread too much. Heres some gifs to make it up to you guys.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Disclaimer. I'm not saying this Miami team would have a chance in my version of the NBA. They would still need at least another mayor piece.

It's not a silver bullet, but having a loyalty-based franchise tag, where on their third (& subsequent) deal with the team that drafted them a player can get a larger-than-max contract that counts against the cap as only a minimum contract.

That would discourage the best players for each team from ever leaving, as they would get a lot more money for staying with their drafted team. The lack of cap hit would make it easy for teams to keep building around their stars. Those contracts obviously couldn't be traded, but if you wanted to build in that option you could make it so that they reverted to regular max deals if traded (costing the player a lot of money - so they would need to be desperate to ask to be traded).

It could create issues if a team drafted two superstars and have the team-max to one, but no the other. If you wanted to give each team two (one max and mini-max) that could allow for big-2s to form organically.
twix2500
RealGM
And1: 22,206

Post#1733 » by twix2500 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:42 pm

Did some of you just realize this is not a championship team?

Sent from my [device_name] using [url]RealGM mobile app[/url]
spectrec130
Starter
And1: 1,813

Post#1734 » by spectrec130 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:43 pm

twix2500 wrote:Did some of you just realize this is not a championship team?

Even after the 30-11 run and all these overpaying of a bunch of role players i knew this team was not championship caliber.... After Miami had a lock on a top 3 pick, lamenting the direction of where this team is now this season.... 30-28 with horrible losses and moral victories.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
twix2500
RealGM
And1: 22,206

Post#1735 » by twix2500 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:35 am

spectrec130 wrote:
twix2500 wrote:Did some of you just realize this is not a championship team?

Even after the 30-11 run and all these overpaying of a bunch of role players i knew this team was not championship caliber.... After Miami had a lock on a top 3 pick, lamenting the direction of where this team is now this season.... 30-28 with horrible losses and moral victories.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

Ill take that as a yes :lol
J-House
Veteran
And1: 10,884

Post#1736 » by J-House » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:50 pm

Would anyone here be down for Hassan & Justise for Harrison Barnes?
KingDavid
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 39,806

Post#1737 » by KingDavid » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:07 pm

J-House wrote:Would anyone here be down for Hassan & Justise for Harrison Barnes?

Absolutely not. If they want Hassan, it'll need to be with one of our bad contacts or them sending picks.
#HEATLifer

Long Live Kobe Bryant. My idol's idol.
BaDaBo
Starter
And1: 7,401

Post#1738 » by BaDaBo » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:24 pm

KingDavid wrote:
J-House wrote:Would anyone here be down for Hassan & Justise for Harrison Barnes?

Absolutely not. If they want Hassan, it'll need to be with one of our bad contacts or them sending picks.

Hassan + TJ for Harrison & Nowitzki

Hallstar
Head Coach
And1: 6,788

Post#1739 » by Hallstar » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:08 pm

Heat_Fan_87
RealGM
And1: 22,412

Post#1740 » by Heat_Fan_87 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:13 pm

get mcgruder back after the all star break, tame winslows minutes way way down, give some minutes to babbit and we should be right in the thick of it for first round home court.

Return to Miami Heat