ImageImageImage

Official HEAT 2017-18 Regular Season Thread - Vol. I

Moderators: KingDavid, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, MettaWorldPanda, heat4life

Mos_Heat
RealGM
And1: 36,811

Re: Official HEAT 2017-18 Regular Season Thread - Vol. I 

Post#1901 » by Mos_Heat » Mon Mar 5, 2018 6:54 pm

RexBoyWonder wrote:Winslow just turned 21, let's not act like his inconsistency is unheard of.

Andre Iguodala and Jimmy Butler were actually older when they were rookies then Justise is now, in his third year.

This next couple of years are crucial, I can live with his struggles if he's trending the right way. And he is. Seems to me once he focuses on a particular weakness, he really improves on it. Seen it with his 3 point shooting and lately his floaters. Great players keep improving, sometimes dramatically, up to around 24-25 YO.

Just want to point out that Justise is almost 22.
:reporter:
dshearn
Sixth Man
And1: 2,963

Post#1902 » by dshearn » Mon Mar 5, 2018 8:28 pm

Hallstar wrote:You can't build a team around Bosh, that plan was **** from the gate then

In hindsight you can’t because of his health , but at the time it sure seemed like an option. You had an unselfish versatile stretchish 5 who did all the dirty work.

I don’t see how hating on Bosh makes any sense.
Hallstar
Head Coach
And1: 6,798

Re: RE: Re: Official HEAT 2017-18 Regular Season Thread - Vol. I 

Post#1903 » by Hallstar » Mon Mar 5, 2018 8:55 pm

dshearn wrote:
Hallstar wrote:You can't build a team around Bosh, that plan was **** from the gate then

In hindsight you can’t because of his health , but at the time it sure seemed like an option. You had an unselfish versatile stretchish 5 who did all the dirty work.

Why would we build around a player who was 30 and was last seen as a third option on a contender. That's not hate

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
dshearn
Sixth Man

Post#1904 » by dshearn » Mon Mar 5, 2018 10:23 pm

Hallstar wrote:
dshearn wrote:

Why would we build around a player who was 30 and was last seen as a third option on a contender. That's not hate

James Harden was a 3rd option too.... So is is Klay Thompson...

Who was Bosh the 3rd behind? Yeah... two HOF players.

Dirk would have been the 3rd option too and yet somehow he carried a team to a title.

You are saying blow it all up on a maybe? Maybe things pan out and maybe Miami improves? What was your perfect draft scenario that was going to save the franchise? and get it past Cleveland and Golden State?
Hallstar
Head Coach

Post#1905 » by Hallstar » Mon Mar 5, 2018 11:04 pm

dshearn wrote:
Hallstar wrote:
dshearn wrote:

Dirk would have been the 3rd option too and yet somehow he carried a team to a title.

You are saying blow it all up on a maybe? Maybe things pan out and maybe Miami improves? What was your perfect draft scenario that was going to save the franchise? and get it past Cleveland and Golden State?

Bosh got his chance on the Raptors and it lead nowhere, he didn't fit with Whiteside either so we would've had to make a decision there sooner than later anyway.

I had no illusions of getting by the Cavs in the first place so there are no perfect scenarios.

Even if you pay Bosh, give Wade the 3/45 (this would be the last year) he was asking for, we had Winslow, so you have his mentor if as at the time you believed he was a future franchise player...

So you would then have Wade getting his victory lap, Winslow getting mentorship that could arguably have him further along and we go into next offseason with a boatload of capspace and a hopefully very promising Winslow one year before extension

dudes like Waiters and James Johnson would NEVER sniff my team.

If we go the blow it up no Wade, no Bosh route, you are DEFINITELY supposed to be in tank mode. No way we shouldn't have a top 5 pick last year, instead it was a wasted year.

Right now we have money tied up in mediocre players going into the 2020s that actually stunted the growth of our "youth" chasing a check then evaporating when they got paid.
Bourne85
General Manager
And1: 9,082

Post#1906 » by Bourne85 » Tue Mar 6, 2018 12:47 am

Jrich, Bam, even TJ have all outplayed Justice. When his contract is up it is important to not panic once again and overpay for yet another roleplayer.

His contract needs to be around Jrichs contract or less than Waiters. If some moronic team signs him to a max offer sheet or anything like 12mil and up you let him walk. Don’t overpay for another roleplayer that isn’t gonna take us anywhere.

Don’t sign him to some crazy deal expecting to trade him eventually (TJ, Whiteside etc). Stop pretending your smarter than others GMs. If he gets a nice big offersheet from a scrub team like the Nets, you congratulate him and pack his bags for him.

Either way, I hope and expect him to be traded in the offseason or at the deadline next year. Likely a package with him and TJ going out for some picks an expirings.

You guys can fall in love with the “ heat culture” all you like, but talent and skill win games, two things he is currently lacking. Showing up early, leaving late, etc etc is all good and should be expected. That shouldn’t mean he gets to stay if his play is this bad, he isn’t Haslem.
dshearn
Sixth Man

Post#1907 » by dshearn » Tue Mar 6, 2018 1:27 am

Hallstar wrote:
dshearn wrote:
Hallstar wrote:Why would we build around a player who was 30 and was last seen as a third option on a contender. That's not hate

Bosh got his chance on the Raptors and it lead nowhere, he didn't fit with Whiteside either so we would've had to make a decision there sooner than later anyway.

I had no illusions of getting by the Cavs in the first place so there are no perfect scenarios.

Even if you pay Bosh, give Wade the 3/45 (this would be the last year) he was asking for, we had Winslow, so you have his mentor if as at the time you believed he was a future franchise player...

So you would then have Wade getting his victory lap, Winslow getting mentorship that could arguably have him further along and we go into next offseason with a boatload of capspace and a hopefully very promising Winslow one year before extension

If we go the blow it up no Wade, no Bosh route, you are DEFINITELY supposed to be in tank mode. No way we shouldn't have a top 5 pick last year, instead it was a wasted year.

Right now we have money tied up in mediocre players going into the 2020s that actually stunted the growth of our "youth" chasing a check then evaporating when they got paid.

So you advocated throwing away the rest of Wades time with the Heat intentionally. Ok, in your scenario the Heat end up with a top 5 pick that year. They may still have taken Winslow, or who knows Dangelo. Now they have money sitting open...to do what?

Since you don't build around the Chris Bosh of the world, what build around piece is a likely FA in 2019? The Heat took shots in 2016, 2017 and struck out, so who is the 2018/2019 better than Bosh free agent?

I think Pat was privy to data we just didn't have, and at least the Heat got some competitive seasons, didn't hurt the brand, took care of their own and got Spo talked about as one of the better coaches in the league. They have done nothing but better their long term outlook.

If you are going to be honest with yourself, the last several years were NOT a total waste. Miami put their money were their mouth is. When they pitch the Miami way, and family .... they can point to their track record of taking care of their players and getting the best out of them. Year after year Miami is rebirthing guys like JJ and Iso Joe. They have Spo being talked about in coach of the year circles.

There is LONG term value in that. By your own admission there was not a likely win it all plan, and at least Miami has been an outside threat at the end of several competitive seasons. That really puts your argument down to if Miami would have blown it up, maybe our best case scenario is we get to watch a few more games per year?
Hallstar
Head Coach

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Official HEAT 2017-18 Regular Season Thread - Vol. I 

Post#1908 » by Hallstar » Tue Mar 6, 2018 1:52 am

dshearn wrote:
Hallstar wrote:
dshearn wrote:

So you advocated throwing away the rest of Wades time with the Heat intentionally. Ok, in your scenario the Heat end up with a top 5 pick that year. They may still have taken Winslow, or who knows Dangelo. Now they have money sitting open...to do what?

Since you don't build around the Chris Bosh of the world, what build around piece is a likely FA in 2019? The Heat took shots in 2016, 2017 and struck out, so who is the 2018/2019 better than Bosh free agent?

I think Pat was privy to data we just didn't have, and at least the Heat got some competitive seasons, didn't hurt the brand, took care of their own and got Spo talked about as one of the better coaches in the league. They have done nothing but better their long term outlook.

If you are going to be honest with yourself, the last several years were NOT a total waste. Miami put their money were their mouth is. When they pitch the Miami way, and family .... they can point to their track record of taking care of their players and getting the best out of them. Year after year Miami is rebirthing guys like JJ and Iso Joe. They have Spo being talked about in coach of the year circles.

There is LONG term value in that. By your own admission there was not a likely win it all plan, and at least Miami has been an outside threat at the end of several competitive seasons. That really puts your argument down to if Miami would have blown it up, maybe our best case scenario is we get to watch a few more games per year?
We've made the playoffs once since the Dragic trade bro, we're not building or proving anything currently.

Flash4thewin
RealGM
And1: 8,047

Post#1909 » by Flash4thewin » Tue Mar 6, 2018 2:45 am

dshearn wrote:
Hallstar wrote:
dshearn wrote:

If your being honest, like look in the mirror honest the last several years have been a total waste. Im not sure if you ment it to be comical but when your sales pitch is family it means you have nothing, which re enforces what many others have said. You cant with a straight face talk about taking care of their player without seeing the glaring omission of how we treated Wade, the freaking franchise player. So again being brutally honest you will have to admit this has been a waste. This is a business not a family, talking about family is something one expects to hear from a used car salesman. We are family here etc bs.

At the end of the day we are not anywhere near being a contender, worse we really dont have young productive future star players on rookie contracts and we still owe 2 first round picks. Bam is the bright spot here. Being objective we are a treadmill team. Players look at us because of location which is just lucky to be honest, but then they see the roster and the moves we have made and rightfully go on to better locations. So again being brutally honest we are not in good shape unless you want to try to sell us as the Atlanta Heat 2.0
dshearn
Sixth Man

Post#1910 » by dshearn » Tue Mar 6, 2018 4:08 am

Flash4thewin wrote:
dshearn wrote:
Hallstar wrote:Bosh got his chance on the Raptors and it lead nowhere, he didn't fit with Whiteside either so we would've had to make a decision there sooner than later anyway.

If your being honest, like look in the mirror honest the last several years have been a total waste. Im not sure if you ment it to be comical but when your sales pitch is family it means you have nothing, which re enforces what many others have said. You cant with a straight face talk about taking care of their player without seeing the glaring omission of how we treated Wade, the freaking franchise player. So again being brutally honest you will have to admit this has been a waste. This is a business not a family, talking about family is something one expects to hear from a used car salesman. We are family here etc bs.

At the end of the day we are not anywhere near being a contender, worse we really dont have young productive future star players on rookie contracts and we still owe 2 first round picks. Bam is the bright spot here. Being objective we are a treadmill team. Players look at us because of location which is just lucky to be honest, but then they see the roster and the moves we have made and rightfully go on to better locations. So again being brutally honest we are not in good shape unless you want to try to sell us as the Atlanta Heat 2.0

Yes Fate has been unkind, the team did not expect Lebron to leave like he did, no one expected Bosh to be as sick as he became.

It sucks, it happened, the team TRIED to reload via free agency it didn't work.

Hindsight is an amazing 20/20.

My only point is it was not a total waste. There is value in striving to win at all cost, and building coach Spo has value.

And like you said this is a business, they have kept fans in the seats late in to season for the past few years by having a competitive team.

Once you trade away first rounders for Lebron, and later Dragic... its hard selling the concept you should tank when you don't even have picks to draft with, for what?

We all get it, it didn't work, but what is done is done. Right now the Heat throw away one? two? season of the rebuild, and they did that for a shot at catching lighting in a bottle from last year. At least they did it with a plan to get their draft fate back in their hands, and an reload date in the future.
Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 71,969

Post#1911 » by Wiltside » Tue Mar 6, 2018 5:13 am

Actually think we may have to stick with this starting lineup going forward.

The one query is James Johnson. JJ has been lost for what feels like the entire season, but perhaps being paired with Babbit and Whiteside gives him some additional ball handling responsibilities to get him into the game. Babbit is the perfect pairing between these two - purely a spot up shooter, and doesn't need to touch the ball to be a threat.

It just feels like JJ's mind is elsewhere all the time.
Formerly BG44, MB30 and Wade County at BasketballForum.com
Hallstar
Head Coach

Post#1912 » by Hallstar » Tue Mar 6, 2018 10:23 am

Wiltside wrote:Actually think we may have to stick with this starting lineup going forward.

The one query is James Johnson. JJ has been lost for what feels like the entire season, but perhaps being paired with Babbit and Whiteside gives him some additional ball handling responsibilities to get him into the game. Babbit is the perfect pairing between these two - purely a spot up shooter, and doesn't need to touch the ball to be a threat.

He's making almost as much money this year as his career earnings. I pull a scam like that my mind would be elsewhere too.

That's harsh though, his mind isn't elsewhere, he's just regressing to who he's been his entire career.
twix2500
RealGM
And1: 22,265

Post#1913 » by twix2500 » Tue Mar 6, 2018 11:21 pm

Wiltside wrote:Actually think we may have to stick with this starting lineup going forward.

JJ has played well since the trade deadline. I think he has only had one bad game since.
contract
RealGM
And1: 20,795

Post#1914 » by contract » Wed Mar 7, 2018 1:28 pm

Flash4thewin wrote:
dshearn wrote:
Hallstar wrote:Bosh got his chance on the Raptors and it lead nowhere, he didn't fit with Whiteside either so we would've had to make a decision there sooner than later anyway.

Pat Riley also gets sit-downs with players because he's freaking Pat Riley. But while that can get him access, it isn't going to close any deals.
:meditate: Team Small Ball :meditate:
contract
RealGM

Post#1915 » by contract » Wed Mar 7, 2018 3:28 pm

This franchise needs a shrink. We ran off our all time great, face of the franchise, Heat Lifer, superstar ... so we that we could pay a bunch of guys that to put it charitably, we don't lean on. Now he's back on a minimum contract, and all the guys that got paid are role players while Wade tries to relive his glory days.

Like I said, this franchise needs a shrink.
BFRESH44
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 10,825

Post#1916 » by BFRESH44 » Wed Mar 7, 2018 5:26 pm

A franchise that has won the 2nd most championships among all teams in the last decade n half doesn't need a "shrink" lol.

Every last organization goes through peaks and valleys with their on-court talent level. That's what happens in a salary capped sport. You're gonna take some hits. You're gonna whiff on some evaluations. That's the NBA. The whining is hilarious.

It took Golden State years of treadmilling with the Monta Ellis', Mike Dunleavys, and Troy Murphys of the world before they got to the 4-star Voltron they have today.

Can we have some perspective, please?
orphicwhip
Starter
And1: 5,482

Post#1917 » by orphicwhip » Wed Mar 7, 2018 5:53 pm

Bustise averaging 14/7/3 in March. Let's see if he can keep it up
contract
RealGM

Post#1918 » by contract » Wed Mar 7, 2018 5:55 pm

I'm not sure what past success has to do with whether we're making any sense now. You can be Einstein today and **** crazy tomorrow.
MartyConlonJr
General Manager
And1: 2,441

Post#1919 » by MartyConlonJr » Thu Mar 8, 2018 2:58 am

I think I've accepted Heat as 8th seed. Tired of getting my hopes up of going to 4th or 5th seed. 6 and 7 are fools gold. We seem to have a mental block getting to certain spots. Last year it was .500 and this year it was 3rd seed with Cavs for a couple weeks, now we are mired in 8th. Raptors in first round will drive me nuts with the flopping though.
Mos_Heat
RealGM
And1: 36,811

Post#1920 » by Mos_Heat » Thu Mar 8, 2018 2:15 pm

Read on Twitter
:reporter:

Return to Miami Heat