ImageImageImage

Hassan Whiteside offers expletive-filled challenge to lack of playing time

Moderators: KingDavid, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside

Kobewade11
General Manager
And1: 15,658

Re: Hassan Whiteside offers expletive-filled challenge to lack of playing time 

Post#61 » by Kobewade11 » Sun Apr 1, 2018 8:14 pm

Bishop45 wrote:More likely neither Bam, Kelly or Whiteside's Heats future C

I wanted to see what a 4/5 combo of Bam/Hassan could have done but the coaching staff has been pretty adamant that they weren't going to take the offensive training wheels off Bam this year.
Bishop45
RealGM
And1: 109,439

Post#62 » by Bishop45 » Sun Apr 1, 2018 8:38 pm

kobewade11 wrote:

I wanted to see what a 4/5 combo of Bam/Hassan could have done but the coaching staff has been pretty adamant that they weren't going to take the offensive training wheels off Bam this year.

I don't know what to think of Bam offensively, he's doing most of the stuff he's done his whole basketball career but he's obviously more talented than he's shown. Can't tell if he's on training wheels or just trying not to do too much

Irrational, sort of, but I want to see him start shooting some 3's. Regardless of he plays the 4 or 5 in the future, I think his offensive progression is heading that way
Long Live Winnie. Mamba siempre

Rest in Power Chadwick

#PeaceinGaza #FreedomforPalestine
Mos_Heat
RealGM
And1: 36,798

Post#63 » by Mos_Heat » Sun Apr 1, 2018 9:20 pm

Need draft picks
:reporter:
CeCeySay
Junior
And1: 513

Post#64 » by CeCeySay » Sun Apr 1, 2018 9:24 pm

Can't say that I disagree with him for being frustrated. If Spo put him in late in last night's game I bet he would've been super engaged, almost vs Embiid engaged. If hes not going to be getting minutes, send him away. Doesn't make sense paying him max with so few minutes. Package him with TJ as an incentive to take on TJ's contract for 2nd round picks. SG & C are the 2 positions we have depth in. Slide in Mcgruder to take TJ's minutes and Bam & Kelly to take on the C minutes. If we don't take much salary back we can resign Ellington and even pick up Randle for $15M/per.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
eddieheatfan
RealGM
And1: 24,961

Post#65 » by eddieheatfan » Sun Apr 1, 2018 9:32 pm

CeCeySay wrote:Can't say that I disagree with him for being frustrated. If Spo put him in late in last night's game I bet he would've been super engaged, almost vs Embiid engaged. If hes not going to be getting minutes, send him away. Doesn't make sense paying him max with so few minutes. Package him with TJ as an incentive to take on TJ's contract for 2nd round picks. SG & C are the 2 positions we have depth in. Slide in Mcgruder to take TJ's minutes and Bam & Kelly to take on the C minutes. If we don't take much salary back we can resign Ellington and even pick up Randle for $15M/per.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
he was gassed early in the game breh also looks painfully slow out there as well
Heat3
RealGM
And1: 14,178

Post#66 » by Heat3 » Sun Apr 1, 2018 9:37 pm

I wouldn't call it training wheels, cause that would imply he is training at something to get better. I'd call it more like probation. The kind a person gets put on at some jobs when they start out cause no one trusts them to not be a dumb ass. So first 3-6 months they are given menial tasks. Do this and only this then and definitely DON'T do this other thing.

In the Heat's case its usually go play hard and hustle (i.e. focus on defense). No offense will ever be called for you so what you get must be in the flow of whatever is happening.

This works nice for guys like Winslow and Bam. Winslow was then tasked with doing more the following year and he sucked but because he can still do the first thing then there is no problem.

This worked well for Hassan when he first came. They probably gave him little direction other than hustle and be a defense presence. That is why he was a monster grabbing rebounds, blocking shots and scaring defenders. Basically what he really excels at. As time went on the coaches and everyone else seems to go around acting like those things are selfish basketball and he needs to focus on "winning plays". Which apparently means things he isn't that good at. Oh well....

The same approach was taken with Beasley. A gifted offense weapon punished for not being great at defense, ultimately dumped for two 2nd rounders. No long term vision on Spo's part then. Those 2 years were wasted.

I wonder what these guys would do with a young James Harden, probably stuck behind McGruder on the bench.

Anyway, this is why I've said before that I'm not sold on Bam. I haven't seen these guys develop anyone beyond a role player at best. I would totally not be surprised with seeing regression in him next year.
Pat Riley wrote:There are only two options regarding commitment. You're either IN or you're OUT. There is no such thing as life in-between.

James Johnson wrote:The culture is REAL.

Mars
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,174

Post#67 » by Mars » Sun Apr 1, 2018 9:52 pm

Riley's responds to Hassan's detrimental comments on Easter Sunday...

Read on Twitter
GUTS™
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,341

Post#68 » by Revived » Sun Apr 1, 2018 10:22 pm

Hoops23 wrote:
Mulhollanddrive wrote:Phoenix fan here.

Would you take back your pick 15 for Whiteside?

For the pick alone? NO and No

Like wouldn’t be the pick alone, I think the Suns would attach Florida native Brandon Knight to the deal.
Cmon_Son-_-
Head Coach
And1: 8,734

Post#69 » by Cmon_Son-_- » Sun Apr 1, 2018 10:27 pm

Heat3 wrote:I wouldn't call it training wheels, cause that would imply he is training at something to get better. I'd call it more like probation. The kind a person gets put on at some jobs when they start out cause no one trusts them to not be a dumb ass. So first 3-6 months they are given menial tasks. Do this and only this then and definitely DON'T do this other thing.

In the Heat's case its usually go play hard and hustle (i.e. focus on defense). No offense will ever be called for you so what you get must be in the flow of whatever is happening.

This works nice for guys like Winslow and Bam. Winslow was then tasked with doing more the following year and he sucked but because he can still do the first thing then there is no problem.

This worked well for Hassan when he first came. They probably gave him little direction other than hustle and be a defense presence. That is why he was a monster grabbing rebounds, blocking shots and scaring defenders. Basically what he really excels at. As time went on the coaches and everyone else seems to go around acting like those things are selfish basketball and he needs to focus on "winning plays". Which apparently means things he isn't that good at. Oh well....

The same approach was taken with Beasley. A gifted offense weapon punished for not being great at defense, ultimately dumped for two 2nd rounders. No long term vision on Spo's part then. Those 2 years were wasted.

I wonder what these guys would do with a young James Harden, probably stuck behind McGruder on the bench.

Anyway, this is why I've said before that I'm not sold on Bam. I haven't seen these guys develop anyone beyond a role player at best. I would totally not be surprised with seeing regression in him next year.

James Harden was considered a high IQ prospect coming out of ASU I doubt he would've been stuck on the bench. But then again I doubt we would've drafted him over Tyreke Evans so we would've swung a missed anyways lol
| ̶G̶̶̶i̶̶̶a̶̶̶n̶̶̶n̶̶̶i̶̶̶s̶̶̶ ̶̶̶2̶̶̶0̶̶̶2̶̶̶1̶̶̶ ̶̶̶ ̶H̶̶̶a̶̶̶r̶̶̶d̶̶̶e̶̶̶n̶̶̶ ̶̶̶2̶̶̶0̶̶̶2̶̶̶0̶̶̶ ̶ ̶B̶e̶a̶l̶/̶L̶a̶v̶i̶n̶e̶/̶L̶i̶l̶l̶a̶r̶d̶/̶I̶r̶v̶i̶n̶g̶/̶M̶i̶t̶c̶h̶e̶l̶l̶ ̶2̶0̶2̶3 ̶L̶i̶l̶l̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶2̶.̶0̶ ̶2̶0̶2̶4̶ Jesus 2024| :pray:|
Mystical Apples
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,349

Post#70 » by Mystical Apples » Mon Apr 2, 2018 12:27 am

The parallels with Charlotte are kinda wild. Hornets are just better with younger combinations of Zeller, Hernangomez, and Kaminksy. Difference being Steve Clifford stuck with Dwight Howard and it got him burned.

Whiteside-Howard swap anyone? I think Miami adds a little but can just buyout Howard, save ~$7M to sign Ellington, and create $27M in 2019 space.
geometry
eddieheatfan
RealGM
And1: 24,961

Post#71 » by eddieheatfan » Mon Apr 2, 2018 1:36 am

Mystical Apples wrote:The parallels with Charlotte are kinda wild. Hornets are just better with younger combinations of Zeller, Hernangomez, and Kaminksy. Difference being Steve Clifford stuck with Dwight Howard and it got him burned.

Whiteside-Howard swap anyone? I think Miami adds a little but can just buyout Howard, save ~$7M to sign Ellington, and create $27M in 2019 space.
how about,no? howard is a cancer in the locker room :noway:

i do agree that the heat tends to regress their talents for some reason.micro management minutes could be the culprit here?
Kobewade11
General Manager

Post#72 » by Kobewade11 » Mon Apr 2, 2018 2:39 am

Mystical Apples wrote:The parallels with Charlotte are kinda wild. Hornets are just better with younger combinations of Zeller, Hernangomez, and Kaminksy. Difference being Steve Clifford stuck with Dwight Howard and it got him burned.

Hornets..better..typo?

Swapping Hassan and Dwight is pretty much a lateral move talent wise that keeps us in the playoffs and opens up some money in 2019 as you stated. Most posters here I can tell you would be a against such a move but there's worse deals to be made. My preference would be attaching a combination of younger players and acquiring a younger talent.
BlueHeat
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,606

Post#73 » by BlueHeat » Mon Apr 2, 2018 2:55 am

Maybe we should have tried to trade for Jabari Parker?

Stats from tonight
J. Parker

35 points 10 rebounds 2 steals 2 assist 1 TO
Mystical Apples
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,349

Post#74 » by Mystical Apples » Mon Apr 2, 2018 2:59 am

kobewade11 wrote:

Hornets..better..typo?

Swapping Hassan and Dwight is pretty much a lateral move talent wise that keeps us in the playoffs and opens up some money in 2019 as you stated. Most posters here I can tell you would be a against such a move but there's worse deals to be made. My preference would be attaching a combination of younger players and acquiring a younger talent.

To clarify the comparison is Hornets with Howard vs. Hornets with non-Howard options. And before Howard it was Charlotte bizarrely kicking the tires on Roy Hibbert, Plumlee, and Al Jefferson in 2016....all the while getting equal (or better) team results from 2 younger players making a combined $15M. And a mess of 4-5 expensive contracts logging minutes out of their ideal positions.

Anyways TBH I wouldn't want Dwight either but then again, it's not my buyout money nor is every team a desirable FA destination like Miami.
geometry
Kobewade11
General Manager

Post#75 » by Kobewade11 » Mon Apr 2, 2018 3:35 am

BlueHeat wrote:Maybe we should have tried to trade for Jabari Parker?

Stats from tonight
J. Parker

39 points 7 rebounds 2 steals 1 assist 1 TO

Jabari didn't have a lot of fans here around the trade deadline, i'll just say that
ElDoggo
Veteran
And1: 6,581

Post#76 » by ElDoggo » Mon Apr 2, 2018 4:03 am

Heat are going nowhere. Trade everything.
Hoops23
General Manager
And1: 1,269

Post#77 » by Hoops23 » Mon Apr 2, 2018 5:21 am

Revived wrote:
Hoops23 wrote:
Mulhollanddrive wrote:Phoenix fan here.

Would you take back your pick 15 for Whiteside?

For the pick alone? NO and No

Like wouldn’t be the pick alone, I think the Suns would attach Florida native Brandon Knight to the deal.

Then its a bad trade coz its like #15 for Hassan and dumping Knights contract. Knight is not an asset in the deal.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,341

Post#78 » by Revived » Mon Apr 2, 2018 6:33 am

Hoops23 wrote:
Revived wrote:
Hoops23 wrote:For the pick alone? NO and No

Then its a bad trade coz its like #15 for Hassan and dumping Knights contract. Knight is not an asset in the deal.

Knight could be a Victor Oladipo type situation where he blossoms on the right team and it could be Miami.
fouled out boy
Junior
And1: 1,779

Post#79 » by fouled out boy » Mon Apr 2, 2018 8:20 am

kobewade11 wrote:
BlueHeat wrote:Maybe we should have tried to trade for Jabari Parker?

Stats from tonight
J. Parker

39 points 7 rebounds 2 steals 1 assist 1 TO

Jabari didn't have a lot of fans here around the trade deadline, i'll just say that

Was there any rumors about Whiteside for Parker?
dolphinatik
Head Coach
And1: 4,149

Post#80 » by dolphinatik » Mon Apr 2, 2018 11:49 am

The song was right I'm just too deflated to even bring it up anymore but I had a bad feeling that we would stick with some sorry rotation to go into overtime and that we wouldn't make the adjustment we played down to a lesser team when we had cleared vantage's that makes no sense even if they don't want to use Hassan they could have used Kelly any big but they refused and they decided to play all guards and we got burnt by the Wayne Wade again
1. Herro 2. Bol Bol 3. Seko 4. Bruno
unless we trade up for Barrett or trade down for PJ Washington

Return to Miami Heat