ImageImageImage

The 2017-2018 Miami Heat DeathBed

Moderators: KingDavid, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, MettaWorldPanda, heat4life

Youngray29
Freshman
And1: 211

The 2017-2018 Miami Heat DeathBed 

Post#1 » by Youngray29 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:11 pm

Time to start telling the truth about every player and our coach since we're practically on our deathbed. ( I don't rule out the possibility of us winning 3 straight even though it's highly improbable)

We are currently 4th in salary, Which is ridiculous. Did you know the salary for this team next season will be 144 million? Do we look like a 144 million dollar team?

Let's Discuss our players and coach.

Cliff notes for people who hate reading.

Wade- Retiring but he should be a mentor
Hassan- Trade him he's a baby
TJ- Try to trade him, if not we're stuck with him and need to play
Jrich - Role Increase
Winslow - Needs to get in the gym this summer and prepare for Role increase. Poor performance next season means let him walk.
Bam- Needs a Jumper
JJ- I like but he's old
Goran- Old probably need to go to
Kelly- Keep
Luke - Bye, Bye
Matt Williams - Dleague/keep
Derrick Jones - Keep and play next season
McG- needs to play next season
Haslem- Retire and become the director of toughness
Wayne- Want to keep but can we keep him?

Hassan- I think we're starting to find out why he was out of the league and playing at the YMCA. This dude has one of the worse attitudes and demeanor on the team. We're overpaying a guy that comes to work mentally sometimes. He's not worth 23 to 25 million we will pay him until summer 2020. This guy isn't a leader, why are we paying him so much? This guy openly throws his well-respected coach under the bus, leave to the fans. That's not smart, get him out of here. I'm not a big fan of SPO but I would never choose Hassan over Spo.

JJ- Great personality, we've seen this guy get benched and he took like a grown up. He manned up and realize he wasn't playing well. Great teammate, his defense this season is nowhere near where it was during that 30-11 run. Btw, that 30-11 record was a scam conducted by a few contract year players (maybe). He's been more important is season than the overpaid guy but he's 32 next season. I think the right move for the future is to trade him but I like him.

TJ- We should have traded him to Brooklyn before Portland traded Crabbe to Brooklyn. Nice guy, plays hard but he can be unreliable. His salary situation next year annoys me but we might be stuck with him.

Goran- He turns 32, the day after my Birthday, my Taurus brethren. I like Goran but he seems to cool off by the second half of most games. He has a great personality and he's very vocal. He's going to be 34 by the time his contract is expired. At some point, we will need to move him.

Kelly- Best Net rating on the team, great energy and I think he might be one of the few players worth their contract. He's a keeper.

Dion- Can he stay healthy? Dion might be the only guy on this team that's capable of missing more layups than Justise WInslow. If you knew Dion's history you would know why he's a #4 pick on his third team. He's worth his contract though, just needs to stay healthy. He might be one of the few dogs on this team. I would rather be going into battle with Dion at least I know he wants the last shot and he won't quit us.

Wayne- Wish we could keep Wayne and Move Tyler. I think he's gone this summer, hopefully to a team can use his talents to win games.

Wade- Best player ever to put this jersey. His mentorship will be important to future generations. Not sure about his future, will he retire? You deserve a Kobe Bryant retirement tour.

Jrich- He's our Kyle Kuzma or maybe I should Kyle is the Laker 's Jrich. Much better than the guy picked higher than him but you really don't know how high his ceiling is. He deserves a larger role next season.

Winslow- This is the guy that some people blame because they are afraid to admit that Hassan, Goran, Jrich, and JJ just aren't good enough to win games consistently. He definitely isn't the star people thought they were getting at number 10. Picks outside of the top 5 are overrated, its more about being in the right draft and picking the right player. Justise is a good example of why 1 done players are so risky. 1 year at college this isn't enough for every player and the ones that make it usually benefit from being on trash team that allows max utilization (Devin, 20 a game and 33% usage). Pat picked up his option for next season, which will be his final audition. In an ideal situation, his usage would be bumped up and he would be the primary ball handler next season. He still has a lot of work do this offseason. He needs to work on his non-existent Mid Range, Improve Free-throw percentage/ Attempts, improve Ball handling, Shoot more/hit more jumpers and his finishing ability at the rim needs improvement. If he can't shoot over 75% from the line next season, score more than 12 PPGs and shoot 38% from 3 next season, let him walk.

Bam- Needs to develop a post game and Jump shot now. He will eventually replace Hassan.

UD- Please retire and become the Head of Toughness. :D Give this man a job with the staff, another guy who's important to future generations.

Luke - Bye

Jordan- Maybe we should keep him after a potential fire sale.

McG - Our supposed savior. I would rather seem him over TJ but if I'm being honest we overrate this guy. He can knock down Jumper consistently, finish consistently and he plays defense. However, Tyler at his best is better than McG. Longer wingspan, he is also a shooter, he handles the ball better and he's very athletic.

Derrick Jones - He's 6'7 with 7 foot wingpsan with a ridiculous amount of athleticism. He can play defense but can he shoot?

Matt Williams- Wayne's replacement if he can try on defense.

Erik Spo- I don't agree with every decision he makes but he's well respected amongst basketball minds. I think he makes adjustment way too late and he does tend "misuse" players. Yes, I said players with an "s" but hey they're his players to "misuse". He can use them however he pleases, I would rather our players be professional about it. He's primarily a defensive coach, his offensive sets need improvement but he's still a young coach compared to most coaches. He may very well be a puppet, most people would say Pat is still pulling the strings somewhere.

At some point this whole idea of retooling plan,only to miss the playoffs or get bounced before ECF has to die. Free Agents aren't coming here and we do not have the money. Its time to let players under 28 play, utilize the 2019 pick and acquire more picks.
Bishop45
RealGM
And1: 109,496

Re: The 2017-2018 Miami Heat DeathBed 

Post#2 » by Bishop45 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:39 pm

Too many words

Long Live Winnie. Mamba siempre

Rest in Power Chadwick

#PeaceinGaza #FreedomforPalestine
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 79,988

Post#3 » by DayofMourning » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:31 pm

Youngray29 wrote:
Spoiler:
Time to start telling the truth about every player and our coach since we're practically on our deathbed. ( I don't rule out the possibility of us winning 3 straight even though it's highly improbable)

We are currently 4th in salary, Which is ridiculous. Did you know the salary for this team next season will be 144 million? Do we look like a 144 million dollar team?

Let's Discuss out players and coach.

Hassan- I think we're starting to find out why he was out of the league and playing at the YMCA. This dude has one of the worse attitudes and demeanor on the team. We're overpaying a guy that comes to work mentally sometimes. He's not worth 23 to 25 million we will pay him until summer 2020. This guy isn't a leader, why are we paying him so much? This guy openly throws his well-respected coach under the bus, leave to the fans. That's not smart, get him out of here. I'm not a big fan of SPO but I would never choose Hassan over Spo.

JJ- Great personality, we've seen this guy get benched and he took like a grown up. He manned up and realize he wasn't playing well. Great teammate, his defense this season is nowhere near where it was during that 30-11 run. Btw, that 30-11 record was a scam conducted by a few contract year players (maybe). He's been more important is season than the overpaid guy but he's 32 next season. I think the right move for the future is to trade him but I like him.

TJ- We should have traded him to Brooklyn before Portland traded Crabbe to Brooklyn. Nice guy, plays hard but he can be unreliable. His salary situation next year annoys me but we might be stuck with him.

Goran- He turns 32, the day after my Birthday, my Taurus brethren. I like Goran but he seems to cool off by the second half of most games. He has a great personality and he's very vocal. He's going to be 34 by the time his contract is expired. At some point, we will need to move him.

Kelly- Best Net rating on the team, great energy and I think he might be one of the few players worth their contract. He's a keeper.

Dion- Can he stay healthy? Dion might be the only guy on this team that's capable of missing more layups than Justise WInslow. If you knew Dion's history you would know why he's a #4 pick on his third team. He's worth his contract though, just needs to stay healthy. He might be one of the few dogs on this team. I would rather be going into battle with Dion at least I know he wants the last shot and he won't quit us.

Wayne- Wish we could keep Wayne and Move Tyler. I think he's gone this summer, hopefully to a team can use his talents to win games.

Wade- Best player ever to put this jersey. His mentorship will be important to future generations. Not sure about his future, will he retire? You deserve a Kobe Bryant retirement tour.

Jrich- He's our Kyle Kuzma or maybe I should Kyle is the Laker 's Jrich. Much better than the guy picked higher than him but you really don't know how high his ceiling is. He deserves a larger role next season.

Winslow- This is the guy that some people blame because they are afraid to admit that Hassan, Goran, Jrich, and JJ just aren't good enough to win games consistently. He definitely isn't the star people thought they were getting at number 10. Picks outside of the top 5 are overrated, its more about being in the right draft and picking the right player. Justise is a good example of why 1 done players are so risky. 1 year at college this isn't enough for every player and the ones that make it usually benefit from being on trash team that allows max utilization (Devin, 20 a game and 33% usage). Pat picked up his option for next season, which will be his final audition. In an ideal situation, his usage would be bumped up and he would be the primary ball handler next season. He still has a lot of work do this offseason. He needs to work on his non-existent Mid Range, Improve Free-throw percentage/ Attempts, improve Ball handling, Shoot more/hit more jumpers and his finishing ability at the rim needs improvement. If he can't shoot over 75% from the line next season, score more than 12 PPGs and shoot 38% from 3 next season, let him walk.

Bam- Needs to develop a post game and Jump shot now. He will eventually replace Hassan.

UD- Please retire and become the Head of Toughness. :D Give this man a job with the staff, another guy who's important to future generations.

Luke - Bye

McG - Our supposed savior. I would rather seem him over TJ but if I'm being honest we overrate this guy. He can knock down Jumper consistently, finish consistently and he plays defense. However, Tyler at his best is better than McG. Longer wingspan, he is also a shooter, he handles the ball better and he's very athletic.

Derrick Jones - He's 6'7 with 7 foot wingpsan with a ridiculous amount of athleticism. He can play defense but can he shoot?

Erik Spo- I don't agree with every decision he makes but he's well respected amongst basketball minds. I think he makes adjustment way too late and he does tend "misuse" players. Yes, I said players with an "s" but hey they're his players to "misuse". He can use them however he pleases, I would rather our players be professional about it. He's primarily a defensive coach, his offensive sets need improvement but he's still a young coach compared to most coaches. He may very well be a puppet, most people would say Pat is still pulling the strings somewhere.

At some point this whole idea of retooling plan,only to miss the playoffs or get bounced before ECF has to die. Free Agents aren't coming here and we do not have the money. Its time to let players under 28 play, utilize the 2019 pick and acquire more picks.

I'll address this trio to start:

Signing TJ has proven to be a mistake. Not only has he not progressed, he might have actually gotten worse. Paying 20 million dollars to him next year is nuts. He's ours to keep. A team would have to be completely inebriated to take him from us.

I think he can be moved to the right team. I've suggested the Spurs, and others have found him homes in different locations. He's a quality player, worth a first round pick in return for the right team. We got a lot out of him, but unfortunately his time here was during a period of crazy transition.

Love KO for his offensive capabilities. His defense and rebounding are laughable. His deficiencies need to be hidden on this team, but we don't have the personnel for that at the moment.
goodboy
RealGM
And1: 185,294

Post#4 » by goodboy » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:11 pm

Youngray29 wrote:
Spoiler:

Luke - Bye

Spoiler:

Bright
Youngray29
Freshman

Post#5 » by Youngray29 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:21 pm

Bishop45 wrote:Too many words

Cliff notes?
HeatFanLifer
General Manager
And1: 39,855

Post#6 » by HeatFanLifer » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:09 am

HeatWillRise wrote:
Youngray29 wrote:
Spoiler:

Luke - Bye

Spoiler:

How dare you. Both of you.
OP for NBA FT record
goodboy
RealGM
And1: 185,294

Post#7 » by goodboy » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:13 am

LMAO was waiting on your presence hfl
Bright
contract
RealGM
And1: 20,786

Post#8 » by contract » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:13 am

Youngray29 wrote:Time to start telling the truth about every player and our coach since we're practically on our deathbed. ( I don't rule out the possibility of us winning 3 straight even though it's highly improbable)

Let's Discuss our players and coach.

Cliff notes for people who hate reading.

Spoiler:
Wade- Retiring but he should be a mentor
Hassan- Trade him he's a baby
TJ- Try to trade him, if not we're stuck with him and need to play
Jrich - Role Increase
Winslow - Needs to get in the gym this summer and prepare for Role increase. Poor performance next season means let him walk.
Bam- Needs a Jumper
JJ- I like but he's old
Goran- Old probably need to go to
Kelly- Keep
Luke - Bye, Bye
Matt Williams - Dleague/keep
Derrick Jones - Keep and play next season
McG- needs to play next season
Haslem- Retire and become the director of toughness
Wayne- Want to keep but can we keep him?

DWade & UD ... it's time to move on. I don't even think this needs further comment.

"Goatside" ... I've had enough of his sulking and belly aching. Unreliable, inconsistent, selfish, buck passer, and Lebron level passive aggressive without the talent to make you put up with it. BYE BITCH!

Dragic ... Whatever. If we can make a decent deal, make it. If not, he's a decent 3 point shooter. But I'm done waiting for him to become an alpha male.

Waiters & Ellington ... Bye! Trade DWait, and don't even try to resign Ellington. We have too much clutter at SG and it's hurting JRich's development. We're stuck with TJ as an overpriced 6th/7th man, and McGruder is a cheap multi-tool who can eat minutes at 2/3 as needed. It's time to thin the herd and clear the logjam.

JRich ... starting SG.

TJ ... 6th/7th man

McGruder ... backend rotation guy

Winslow ... starting SF. In the past I've been opposed to just giving him minutes because I thought he should earn them, and quite frankly I just don't think he's very good. But free agency is creeping up, and it's time to see what he can do with a major role. No more hand holding. No more limited minutes. No more hiding him on offense or treating him like a defensive specialist. Start him. Play him 35 minutes every night, and give him the rock. I fully expect him to fall on his face, but maybe he'll surprise me and increase his trade value.

Olynyk/Bam/JJ ... that's our power rotation. All have strengths and weaknesses. None of them is good enough to justify a permanent starting job. Mix and match according to match ups.

Babbitt ... if Spo wants to keep him around as a minimum wage stretch 4, fine. Whatever.

Walton/Jones/Mickey ... borderline NBA minimum wage stock. Keep/Cut is fine. I don't mind, and they don't matter.
:meditate: Team Small Ball :meditate:
contract
RealGM
And1: 20,786

Post#9 » by contract » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:34 am

Youngray29 wrote:We are currently 4th in salary, Which is ridiculous. Did you know the salary for this team next season will be 144 million? Do we look like a 144 million dollar team?

Our salary for next season is currently ~ $121 million. The higher number probably includes Bosh who is now off our books.

http://heathoops.com/team-salary/team-salary-2017-18/
:meditate: Team Small Ball :meditate:
RexBoyWonder
RealGM
And1: 33,444

Post#10 » by RexBoyWonder » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:18 am

Our problem are not really the guys we have on the roster. Expect Whiteside and to a lesser degree TJ, none of them are really hurting us or kill our cap space.

Our issue is that we're lacking a franchise player type talent, we have too many pretty good players and no great players.

IMO, we're not signing or trading for any truly great player in the next 2 seasons. Which leaves only 1 path to get that type of talent.
Chalm Downs wrote:his nickname is boywonder ffs
RexBoyWonder
RealGM

Post#11 » by RexBoyWonder » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:22 am

And yea, in the meantime I would play Rich/Justise/Jones JR/Bam a TON of minutes.

Our future does not include Ellington/Whiteside/Wade//JJ/Dragon, sadly. (I like these last 3 names, but age is creeping up and we need to think long term here).
KingDavid
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 39,859

Post#12 » by KingDavid » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:01 am

Lmao be prepared to give PHX a high ass draft pick
#HEATLifer

Long Live Kobe Bryant. My idol's idol.
RexBoyWonder
RealGM

Post#13 » by RexBoyWonder » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:08 am

KingDavid wrote:Lmao be prepared to give PHX a high ass draft pick

by 2021, Most of this roster should be gone, and if we're smart - we'll have a few new key guys.
El Alonzo scowl
Veteran
And1: 5,438

Post#14 » by El Alonzo scowl » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:38 am

Pat Riley: hasn't dealt well with the post-LeBron era. A lot more misfires than hits. Should probably retire. The treadmill era should be brought to a halt. It's time for some fresh faces and a new generation.

Erik Spoelstra: his time here has ran its course. It's clear by now the kind of coach he is. He's too stubborn to ever get any better, he is who he is. Good motivator and ego manager, awful tactician. The great coaches are the ones who can do both.

Dwyane Wade: it really sounds like he's going to retire. I'd love one more season for a proper send off.

Udonis Haslem: I look forward to attending his jersey retirement ceremony next season.

Dion Waiters: well, we need someone besides Dwyane Wade to step up during chest hurt times and no one is going to stop him from trying! If we have a chance to trade him I'd gladly do it. Unless he makes a leap like Victor Oladipo. He's going to be 27 next season.

Tyler Johnson: this poison pill is going to be a slow painful death on our salary cap for the next couple of seasons. Best case in year two of the bloating is we use it in a trade for a disgruntled superstar since then it can be a pretty good expiring contract. It's a long shot. Mickey Arison ****ed up in forcing Riley to keep him.

Hassan Whiteside: we're stuck with him until he can raise his trade value. Everyone can see how awful he's been. I do think the injuries play a part and he's not completely oblivious to bring them up. He'll come back better.

Goran Dragic: his value is peak, if a first rounder is available let's get it. We need to replenish our depleted draft pick cupboard. An all-star season out of him in 3 and a half seasons was not bad at all. When we traded for him we never thought Bosh's health would turn out the way it did.

Bam Adebayo: I greatly look forward to seeing how he progresses. Sky is the limit with him.

Josh Richardson: should be our starting shooting guard, he's progressing far better than we expected and that's playing out of position against bigger guys most of the time.

Justise Winslow: he's at his best when he's playing fiery, that's who he needs to be all the time. When he's quiet and deer-eyed it's when he looks lost and hopeless. Next year is make or break for him here in Miami.

James Johnson: keep him. He adds toughness to this team. Good option off the bench.

Kelly Olynyk: good offensive player, awful defender. Another ideal option off the bench that shouldn't be a starter.

Wayne Ellington: fantastic season from him but we can't commit to him given his age and all the commitments to roleplayers we already have.

Rodney McGruder: nice find, like him in the rotation.

The other guys: I don't mind if we keep or cut. They're fringe for a reason.

Ideal youth movement team next season:

PG: ?/TJ
SG: JRich/McGruder
SF: Winslow/?
PF: Bam/JJ
C: ?/Olynyk

There's a lot of work to be done.
HeatFanLifer
General Manager
And1: 39,855

Post#15 » by HeatFanLifer » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:57 am

All it will take is one player for this team to go from long term fix to right now winner. The Heat already have one guy who will step up in scoring with Waiters, they have a 3rd option too in Dragic, now they just need that option 1a person. As much as people want to underestimate the talent the Heat have right now, I think they can get some pretty good talent with the right trade.

Keep in mind, there is going to be plenty of cap room this offseason and not a lot of talent to spend money on. Taking a chance on a 2 year contract player like Hassan and/or TJ won’t be the end of the world for many teams.
OP for NBA FT record
RexBoyWonder
RealGM

Post#16 » by RexBoyWonder » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:13 pm

El Alonzo scowl wrote:Pat Riley: hasn't dealt well with the post-LeBron era. A lot more misfires than hits. Should probably retire. The treadmill era should be brought to a halt. It's time for some fresh faces and a new generation.

Ideal youth movement team next season:

PG: ?/TJ
SG: JRich/McGruder
SF: Winslow/?
PF: Bam/JJ
C: ?/Olynyk

There's a lot of work to be done.

Agree with a lot of your points. adding :

1. Bam is a future C IMO, you can't keep playing non shooters in other positions - it keep killing our offense.

2. I would sign Jones JR as a Winslow backup, give him a long term cheap deal. At worst you'll have a great athletic defender, at best his shooting and offense continues to improve and you've got a steal.

3. Trade Whiteside for whatever. He's not our guy - not in skillset nor attitude.

4. A few guys I hope we could get (for Whiteside/Dragic or whatever deal that doesn't include Rich/Winslow/Bam) :

A) J. Randle (really surprised me with his growth this year, would be a good fit as a scoring PF)
B) J. Parker - highish upside scoring PF, a gamble worth taking for Whiteside or any other of our older guys.

So maybe something like :

Dragon/TJ
Rich/Dion/Mcgruber
Justise/Jones JR/Mcruber
Randle/JJ
Bam/Kelly

We can also trade JJ/Dragic if we fully commit to the rebuild and drafting high. (which we should do IMO, because this team isn't contending without an elite talent injection).
QUIZ
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 78,762

Post#17 » by QUIZ » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:45 pm

I agree with most of OP's takes. I think Wayne has been exposed in the playoffs though so long term I don't think he is much use to us but we should try and resign him.

Wayne has the potential to be a good asset for us if we can resign him at a reasonable price. He's old so that makes him not much help to us but I think if we can sign him to a 4yr deal at the MLE he's the type of guy who could get us a late 1st round pick(28-30) from a contender looking to add someone in a Kyle Korver role.
Don’t let us get one. — Nikola Jovic

Dru Smith very lucky he got that 500k this year. He should invest and manage a subway after all this-MettaWorldPanda
Youngray29
Freshman

Post#18 » by Youngray29 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:53 pm

the have this years pick not next years.
KingDavid
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 39,859

Post#19 » by KingDavid » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:49 am

Youngray29 wrote:

#HEATLifer

Long Live Kobe Bryant. My idol's idol.
QUIZ
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 78,762

Post#20 » by QUIZ » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:55 am

KingDavid wrote:
Youngray29 wrote:

Meh, I feel like we've proven the ability to at least field a .500 team even with spare parts. It sucks that we owe them that but we aren't gonna be the Nets handling over the number 1 pick.
Don’t let us get one. — Nikola Jovic

Dru Smith very lucky he got that 500k this year. He should invest and manage a subway after all this-MettaWorldPanda

Return to Miami Heat