ImageImageImage

How The Heat Go Back To Becoming A Championship Team

Moderators: KingDavid, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ

Feel_the_Heat15
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,455

How The Heat Go Back To Becoming A Championship Team 

Post#1 » by Feel_the_Heat15 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:41 pm

1.Don't resign Ellington. We don't need to add extra salary to a team that isn't competing for a championship for at least the next 3 years. Not resigning Ellington would also increase our odds of getting a decent lottery pick for the next 2 years.

2.Don't trade Richardson or Olynyk for players who aren't top 20 players. Replacing Richardson or Olynyk with some borderline star like McCollum would probably do more harm than good,

3.Similar to #1, don't add any contracts(few exceptions).

4.Sign Dragic to a one year max contract deal in 2020.

5.Convince Olynyk to stay in his contract.

The plan for the Heat should be to wait till 2021 to sign Giannis and one of Oladipo or Lillard(preferably Lillard).

PG:Lillard($38.5 million)
SG:Richardson(Bird)
SF:Giannis($33 million)Draft pick($2.6 million)/Winslow($11 million)
PF:Olynyk($14.7 million)/Draft pick(3.1 million)
C:Bam($7.1 million)
=$109.3 million

Salary cap in 2021 should be about 110 million. Olynyk might ask for more.

And that is how we go back to being a championship team :D.
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 80,619

Re: How The Heat Go Back To Becoming A Championship Team 

Post#2 » by DayofMourning » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:56 pm

Feel_the_Heat15 wrote:1.Don't resign Ellington. We don't need to add extra salary to a team that isn't competing for a championship for at least the next 3 years. Not resigning Ellington would also increase our odds of getting a decent lottery pick for the next 2 years.

2.Don't trade Richardson or Olynyk for players who aren't top 20 players. Replacing Richardson or Olynyk with some borderline star like McCollum would probably do more harm than good,

The plan for the Heat should be to wait till 2021 to sign Giannis and one of Oladipo or Lillard(preferably Lillard).

=$109.3 million

1. I agree
2. Semi-agree. I'd trade either for the shot at a lotto pick. Keeping both of them is very palatable though.
3. We can't really add contracts outside of the exceptions. So, agree.
4. I'm hoping Dragic nets us a prospect.
5. I'm OK with KO as well.

My 2021 plan would be to complement the guys we draft (who will turn into super duper stars....plz...pretty plz...). Lillard will be 30 at that time, and I'm not a huge fan. Giannis is interesting, but can we lure FAs? Outside of the big 3, have we ever? Not counting on big names in FA. So, I'll settle for Gobert and Otto.
Feel_the_Heat15
Assistant Coach

Post#3 » by Feel_the_Heat15 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:13 pm

DayofMourning wrote:
Feel_the_Heat15 wrote:1.Don't resign Ellington. We don't need to add extra salary to a team that isn't competing for a championship for at least the next 3 years. Not resigning Ellington would also increase our odds of getting a decent lottery pick for the next 2 years.

=$109.3 million

1. I agree
2. Semi-agree. I'd trade either for the shot at a lotto pick. Keeping both of them is very palatable though.
3. We can't really add contracts outside of the exceptions. So, agree.
4. I'm hoping Dragic nets us a prospect.
5. I'm OK with KO as well.

My 2021 plan would be to complement the guys we draft (who will turn into super duper stars....plz...pretty plz...). Lillard will be 30 at that time, and I'm not a huge fan. Giannis is interesting, but can we lure FAs? Outside of the big 3, have we ever? Not counting on big names in FA. So, I'll settle for Gobert and Otto.

Riley got Aldridge and Durant to take a meeting with him even though the Heat just wrapped up a sub .500 season(I think). I think he could get Lillard and other stars to take a meeting with him in 2-3 years. Lillard will turn 30 in 2021 but he should still be one of the best PGs in the NBA and we will probably need a big name to convince Giannis to sign here. We could replace Lillard with Oladipo but we already have Richardson at SG. Guess we could play Oladipo at PG or move Giannis to PF, Richardson to SF and move Olynyk or Adebayo to the bench.

PG:Oladipo
SG:Richardson
SF:Giannis
PF:Olynyk
C:Bam

That's actually a scary team.

EDIT: Giannis could actually be the PG on offense.
Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 72,273

Post#4 » by Wiltside » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:31 pm

Riley also got down to the bottom 2 or 3 with Gordon Hayward, who it looked like we were a realistic shot for. He can get in the meeting - we just need to get one domino to fall and the rest of our roster construction over the coming years can begin to fall into place. As it stands right now, we're lacking a go-to, 20pt plus per game dominant scorer. Rest assured Riles will keep hunting that whale.

I hope he's sneaking into Kawhi's hotel room at night for horse head drop offs and making him kiss the ring. That sounded way seedier than intended lol
Formerly BG44, MB30 and Wade County at BasketballForum.com
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 80,619

Post#5 » by DayofMourning » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:05 am

Oh yes, I appreciate the big names sitting down with Riley. That hasn't gotten them to sign though. What will get them to sign is having a very talented team. Can we get there by 2021? Maybe. Major dominoes have to fall though. They sure aren't getting there with this G League roster we have now. We need to hit major home runs in the next two drafts. Blowing this **** up and aiming for that is the best way to showcase a roster on the rise to a FA. Having Dion and TJ to offer and preaching culture makes me shake my head. Goodness.
eddieheatfan
RealGM
And1: 25,167

Post#6 » by eddieheatfan » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:17 am

i'm amazed how you guys come up with all these ideas and plans, me thinks that riley should fire elinsburg and hire the realGM members for his business :lol

contract
RealGM
And1: 20,995

Post#7 » by contract » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:41 am

Feel_the_Heat15 wrote:4.Sign Dragic to a one year max contract deal in 2020.

Why?
:meditate: Team Small Ball :meditate:
HeatFanLifer
General Manager
And1: 39,855

Post#8 » by HeatFanLifer » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:05 am

eddieheatfan wrote:i'm amazed how you guys come up with all these ideas and plans, me thinks that riley should fire elinsburg and hire the realGM members for his business :lol

If I were in charge of the Miami Heat, they would probably start off as the worst team in the NBA. I would then slowly acquire high draft picks and by sheer odds a couple of them would be good. As the team developed, I would grow disgruntled that some of them were not producing. As a result, I would do what any other realgm poster would do and go on social media bad mouthing my players. I would never get caught too, because I would not be dumb enough to do it on a friggin device that I do real work on.
OP for NBA FT record
Mos_Heat
RealGM
And1: 36,817

Post#9 » by Mos_Heat » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:49 am

Oh, that's easy. You just need to draft a franchise player
:reporter:
Feel_the_Heat15
Assistant Coach

Post#10 » by Feel_the_Heat15 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:00 pm

contract wrote:

Why?

More cap space for 2021. We could just give out multiple 1 year deals.
contract
RealGM

Post#11 » by contract » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:47 pm

Feel_the_Heat15 wrote:
contract wrote:

Why?

I was wondering why a max level salary, not the 1 year part.
Feel_the_Heat15
Assistant Coach

Post#12 » by Feel_the_Heat15 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:09 pm

contract wrote:
Feel_the_Heat15 wrote:
contract wrote:Why?

It doesn't really matter.
Flash4thewin
RealGM
And1: 8,188

Post#13 » by Flash4thewin » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:16 pm

Wiltside wrote:Riley also got down to the bottom 2 or 3 with Gordon Hayward, who it looked like we were a realistic shot for. He can get in the meeting - we just need to get one domino to fall and the rest of our roster construction over the coming years can begin to fall into place. As it stands right now, we're lacking a go-to, 20pt plus per game dominant scorer. Rest assured Riles will keep hunting that whale.

I hope he's sneaking into Kawhi's hotel room at night for horse head drop offs and making him kiss the ring. That sounded way seedier than intended lol

We live in a what have you done for me lately world and just players decline so do GMs. So what did Pat do after Hayward said no thank you. We made smart moves right? We signed impactful players right? We didn’t cripple the team signing role players to long deals right ? The answer, reality is we made very bad choices. Now let’s apply that to this offseason. For arguments sake let’s say Lebron throws Pat a bone and gives him a meeting. It’s not like Pat can preach about being a smart GM after the moves he made. Heck one could make the argument Lebron and the moves he made as the de facto GM ( bad moves) showed better foresight than what Pat did. What would Pats sell be here? Culture? I’d expect Lebron to put up a World Cup game in response and again who would blame him? We need a desperate influx of talent which isn’t coming through the door sadly.
contract
RealGM

Post#14 » by contract » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:18 pm

Feel_the_Heat15 wrote:
contract wrote:
Feel_the_Heat15 wrote:

It does matter. It always matters. There's a salary cap. There's a luxury tax. There's a repeater tax.
Feel_the_Heat15
Assistant Coach

Post#15 » by Feel_the_Heat15 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:22 pm

contract wrote:
Feel_the_Heat15 wrote:
contract wrote:I was wondering why a max level salary, not the 1 year part.

It does matter. It always matters. There's a salary cap. There's a luxury tax. There's a repeater tax.

It doesn't matter whether or not Dragic gets a max contract. The goal is to not add more salary to 2021. In 2020 we'll have enough money to give Dragic the max without going over the cap if that's what you're concerned with.
puppa bear
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,500

Post#16 » by puppa bear » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:34 pm

Feel_the_Heat15 wrote:
contract wrote:
Feel_the_Heat15 wrote:

It doesn't matter whether or not Dragic gets a max contract. The goal is to not add more salary to 2021. In 2020 we'll have enough money to give Dragic the max without going over the cap if that's what you're concerned with.

Then aren't we better giving out a few 1+1 with TO contracts to players with boom potential, those could end up being high value contracts if they breakout for the following year and/or tradable assets at the deadline?

If we find our next McGruder or TJ or Hassan then we won't have the depth issue we struggled with during the big-3 era. So aim for all the low-cost players coming off their rookie contract who still have potential we can tap, and the undrafted seniors.
Feel_the_Heat15
Assistant Coach

Post#17 » by Feel_the_Heat15 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:38 am

puppa bear wrote:
Feel_the_Heat15 wrote:
contract wrote:It does matter. It always matters. There's a salary cap. There's a luxury tax. There's a repeater tax.

Then aren't we better giving out a few 1+1 with TO contracts to players with boom potential, those could end up being high value contracts if they breakout for the following year and/or tradable assets at the deadline?

If we find our next McGruder or TJ or Hassan then we won't have the depth issue we struggled with during the big-3 era. So aim for all the low-cost players coming off their rookie contract who still have potential we can tap, and the undrafted seniors.

There's basically no money leftover after we sign Olynyk+2 max contracts. Houston almost got to the Finals playing 7 guys a night. We'll be fine with Winslow+2 draft picks and some ring chasing vets off the bench.
Feel_the_Heat15
Assistant Coach

Post#18 » by Feel_the_Heat15 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:56 pm

Just learned that due to certain rules the Heat wouldn't be able to resign Richardson using bird rights in this situation. Guess we'd let Olynyk go.
Elnegron
Rookie
And1: 374

Post#19 » by Elnegron » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:42 pm

Should have tanked in the past 2 seasons and not resign average talent. I also called for trading dragic to Orlando when they were offering a 1st pick. The heat are easily 5 years for being meaningful barring signing marker players after next 2 years. Btw oladipo and giannis alone won't do nothing for a team. You need 3 clear stars/ superstars or lebron talent and another star. In 2 years, Celtics, philly will be team to beat in the east
ElDoggo
Veteran
And1: 6,581

Post#20 » by ElDoggo » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:28 pm

Heat should pick up Kawhi, Cousins and McCollum and keep Bam, Ellington, Dragic and Kelly if possible.

Return to Miami Heat