ImageImageImage

What are the chances of signing Jimmy Butler?

Moderators: KingDavid, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, MettaWorldPanda, heat4life

HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

What are the chances of signing Jimmy Butler? 

Post#1 » by HIF » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:50 am

So Butler has asked to be traded. Apparently he wants the Clippers, Knicks or Nets. Do we really have any chance of enticing him?

What was his relationship with Wade like?
Would he be interested in becoming the face and pulling power of the Heat?
Could we offer him what he wants?
What would it take to get him?

So sad to see anyone wants to go to the hated Knicks over us.
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
twix2500
RealGM
And1: 22,259

Re: What are the chances of signing Jimmy Butler? 

Post#2 » by twix2500 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:33 pm

I think there is a legit chance and will happen if Butler agrees to resign. The Heat have the trading chips, only need the commitment to make it worth the trading chips. Also, I'm hearing the Knicks are out of it. They want to go through free agency to pick up a star and not lose any young and future chips when they can just sign a player. Brooklyn do not have pieces and still trying to recover from not having any lotto picks for so long.
Mos_Heat
RealGM
And1: 36,809

Post#3 » by Mos_Heat » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:00 pm

If they get him via trade - very good chances

If not - almost zero
:reporter:
twix2500
RealGM

Post#4 » by twix2500 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:18 pm

twix2500 wrote:I think there is a legit chance and will happen if Butler agrees to resign. The Heat have the trading chips, only need the commitment to make it worth the trading chips. Also, I'm hearing the Knicks are out of it. They want to go through free agency to pick up a star and not lose any young and future chips when they can just sign a player. Brooklyn do not have pieces and still trying to recover from not having any lotto picks for so long.

That being said it looks like only Clippers are a possibility on his top 3 team list. And even then I would put Miami ahead of the Clippers as far an attractive trade partner with Minny.
Kobewade11
General Manager
And1: 15,672

Post#5 » by Kobewade11 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:14 pm

I've heard a Clippers package being floated as Tobias + Beverly + 1st. I think Richardson and one of our vets is comparable to one Tobias Harris, add in McGruder and a first and we have an equally competitive offer imho. Getting him to reup is contingent on being able to clear space next summer for another guy most likely
eddieheatfan
RealGM
And1: 24,996

Post#6 » by eddieheatfan » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:53 pm

zero :roll:
DoItALL9
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,272

Post#7 » by DoItALL9 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:28 am

I think Miami will make this trade and it'd seem the culture would be perfect for him long-term. The franchise has made hardworking- players its bread & butter.
Everyone besides Wade & UD can be had I'd assume.

The Heat need this imo!

Sent from my LG-H872 using RealGM mobile app
contract
RealGM
And1: 20,786

Post#8 » by contract » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:16 pm

DoItALL9 wrote:I think Miami will make this trade and it'd seem the culture would be perfect for him long-term. The franchise has made hardworking- players its bread & butter.

The Heat need this imo!

Everyone? No. For Kawhi? Yes. For Butler? No. Anyone, not everyone.
:meditate: Team Small Ball :meditate:
DoItALL9
Lead Assistant

Post#9 » by DoItALL9 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:23 pm

contract wrote:
DoItALL9 wrote:I think Miami will make this trade and it'd seem the culture would be perfect for him long-term. The franchise has made hardworking- players its bread & butter.

The Heat need this imo!

Thanks for catching that mistake. I meant "any one player" not everyone combined. I'd assume multiple combinations would/could also work.

contract
RealGM

Post#10 » by contract » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:43 pm

DoItALL9 wrote:
contract wrote:

The Heat need this imo!

I meant "any - one" not everyone. I'd assume multiple combinations would/could also work. I did not mean to imply any combo for Jimmy Butler would be accepted.

I think it would be difficult to pull off. It's hard enough to put together a couple of players that might entice Minnesota in exchange for Butler due to the disparity in salaries between him and our young talent ... but if they want to dump Dieng too ... that just complicates matters a ton. That's a lot of salary to match while also including young guys.
DoItALL9
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by DoItALL9 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:54 am

contract wrote:
DoItALL9 wrote:
contract wrote:Everyone? No. For Kawhi? Yes. For Butler? No. Anyone, not everyone.
Thanks for catching that mistake. I meant "any one player" not everyone combined. I'd assume multiple combinations would/could also work.

I think it would be difficult to pull off. It's hard enough to put together a couple of players that might entice Minnesota in exchange for Butler due to the disparity in salaries between him and our young talent ... but if they want to dump Dieng too ... that just complicates matters a ton. That's a lot of salary to match while also including young guys.

How much do you like/dislike/love/hate this?

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ycgvp66b

I assume Miami would need to throw in 2019 pick swap or the pick entirely since the competition to get Butler will be high.
Where would you draw the line for the most you would give up for Dieng & Butler?
HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Post#12 » by HIF » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:59 pm

So is he ours yet?
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
twix2500
RealGM

Post#13 » by twix2500 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:13 pm

Nope, wolves calling everyone by request of the owner, the owner doesn't give a dam where Jimmy wants to go,

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
twix2500
RealGM

Post#14 » by twix2500 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:15 pm

DoItALL9 wrote:
contract wrote:
DoItALL9 wrote:Thanks for catching that mistake. I meant "any one player" not everyone combined. I'd assume multiple combinations would/could also work.

I assume Miami would need to throw in 2019 pick swap or the pick entirely since the competition to get Butler will be high.
Where would you draw the line for the most you would give up for Dieng & Butler?
All depends on what the market willing to give. If Minny try to hold on until better offers I'm sure as time goes the offers will get worse not better

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
contract
RealGM

Post#15 » by contract » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:28 pm

DoItALL9 wrote:
contract wrote:
DoItALL9 wrote:Thanks for catching that mistake. I meant "any one player" not everyone combined. I'd assume multiple combinations would/could also work.

I hate it 100%. That would lock this team in for years of treadmilling. I'm not taking 3 years of Dieng tying up our cap. It's just not worth it.We need to dump toxic contracts, not add more.
DoItALL9
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by DoItALL9 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:34 pm

contract wrote:
DoItALL9 wrote:
contract wrote:I think it would be difficult to pull off. It's hard enough to put together a couple of players that might entice Minnesota in exchange for Butler due to the disparity in salaries between him and our young talent ... but if they want to dump Dieng too ... that just complicates matters a ton. That's a lot of salary to match while also including young guys.

I hate it 100%. That would lock this team in for years of treadmilling. I'm not taking 3 years of Dieng tying up our cap. It's just not worth it.We need to dump toxic contracts, not add more.
What're your thoughts on: Tyler Johnson and his contract?
Extending Justice Winslow?

Many believe the team is already locked into years of treadmilling.

Do you not believe having bird rights on Jimmy Butler would help in recruiting other free agents in summer 2019?

What is the current path you believe the Heat to be on right now?
contract
RealGM

Post#17 » by contract » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:03 pm

DoItALL9 wrote:What're your thoughts on: Tyler Johnson and his contract?
Extending Justice Winslow?

Many believe the team is already locked into years of treadmilling.

Do you not believe having bird rights on Jimmy Butler would help in recruiting other free agents in summer 2019?

What is the current path you believe the Heat to be on right now?

What're your thoughts on: Tyler Johnson and his contract? I'd love to move it if possible. That's way too much money for a player that is way too limited.

Extending Justice Winslow? He's a bench player. He's going to want starter money. I'd rather let him play out the season before making him an offer.

Many believe the team is already locked into years of treadmilling. We are, but Dieng would force us into the luxury tax this year and next, which would only handcuff us further in 3 years when we have money to spend. not much point in trading for a 29 year old Butler just to spin our wheels for 3 years. Also, why would he re-sign if our cap is a mess and he knows we can't add talent?

Do you not believe having bird rights on Jimmy Butler would help in recruiting other free agents in summer 2019? No. We have no money to spend unless we can make a bunch of trades to shed salary next season.

You know what, screw this trade! There's no way he re-signs here. I wouldn't.

What is the current path you believe the Heat to be on right now? Focus on getting our cap in order. Get rid of all of our inflated multi-year contracts.
Son Goku 25
RealGM
And1: 40,592

Post#18 » by Son Goku 25 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:51 pm

Sauces saying it's between Toronto and Miami
Read
DoItALL9
Lead Assistant

Post#19 » by DoItALL9 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:56 am

Focus on getting our cap in order. Get rid of all of our inflated multi-year contracts.

How would you rank the worst contracts starting with the worst currently on the Heat? Add Dieng's in there. I'm wondering if you think his is worse than anything currently on the roster. He has played decently well before in Minnesota. I tend to have have Supreme belief in what Miami can get out of a player. He may not fully live up to his contract and its length but he could be a productive rotational guy most likely.

HeatFanLifer
General Manager
And1: 39,855

Post#20 » by HeatFanLifer » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:05 am

DoItALL9 wrote:Focus on getting our cap in order. Get rid of all of our inflated multi-year contracts.

How would you rank the worst contracts starting with the worst currently on the Heat? Add Dieng's in there. I'm wondering if you think his is worse than anything currently on the roster. He has played decently well before in Minnesota. I tend to have have Supreme belief in what Miami can get out of a player. He may not fully live up to his contract and its length but he could be a productive rotational guy most likely.

Bad contracts on the team from worst to slightly less bad:
TJ: no trade value
Whiteside: barely any trade value
Waiters: might be at the peak of his trade value right now depending on his ankle, but that value is minimal
JJ: Regressed to his career mean last season, but that could have been due to an unannounced injury
Winslow: he is about to get his payday contract, cost conscious teams may look at that as a liability
OP for NBA FT record

Return to Miami Heat