ImageImageImage

Random Thoughts XIX

Moderators: KingDavid, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, MettaWorldPanda, heat4life

QUIZ
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 78,762

Re: Random Thoughts XIX 

Post#1001 » by QUIZ » Wed May 13, 2020 11:13 pm

Bishop45 wrote:Since there basically isn't an NBA thread:

How does the consensus feel about the ruminations to finish the szn? It still sounds like a logistical nightmare to me, but it seems like a lot of powerful ppl want to see it happen.

They would have to re-invent the game, re-invent practice and make it look organic in a short period of time. If 1 person gets seriously ill as a result then the whole thing is likely over, not to mention all the medical upkeep that it would take to procure this for months on end while about 2000 Americans are dying daily

I'm probably not looking, but failing to find the positives there

Well I think there are some realities that need to be acknowledged Bish. For example I feel like the "cancel the season" crowd believes that if we just scrap this season that in October when the next season starts things will be back to normal and it'll be chill.

That is where I think we really need to pause and assess. If that were true I could see the validity in that argument but what if it isn't? What if whether we're restarting the season now or just scrapping it and starting in October nothing changes. Meaning that in both scenarios we're talking about playing without fans and in neutral arenas.

I definitely think all of this is going to be hard and its not going to be normal but if the only realistic alternative is waiting 2 seasons, until the 2021 season when hopefully we have a vaccine is available just to see basketball again I think that's too much.

This is the kind of stuff that aggravated me a bit about the people who were mad about the UFC putting on their last fight card. Yeah the testing and no fans sucks, yeah its different, yeah it isn't ideal, but if we face the reality that this is simply our world for the next year or two I think you gotta start asking yourself what compromises you're willing to make.
Don’t let us get one. — Nikola Jovic

Dru Smith very lucky he got that 500k this year. He should invest and manage a subway after all this-MettaWorldPanda
Bishop45
RealGM
And1: 109,496

Post#1002 » by Bishop45 » Thu May 14, 2020 2:34 pm

October is definitely a reach at this point, unless something changes drastically and soon.

History will remember how the league reacted during a pandemic, and they need to make this as gaffe-proof as possible. Re-starting now might send an awful message about how the league views it's employees

A lot of things we need to do to return to normalcy, I don't think Sports should be on the forefront. I like some of these ideas in this vox article, approaches we could consider

Read on Twitter
Long Live Winnie. Mamba siempre

Rest in Power Chadwick

#PeaceinGaza #FreedomforPalestine
IggieCC
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 239,684

Post#1003 » by IggieCC » Thu May 14, 2020 6:25 pm

QUIZ wrote:

How does the consensus feel about the ruminations to finish the szn? It still sounds like a logistical nightmare to me, but it seems like a lot of powerful ppl want to see it happen.

They would have to re-invent the game, re-invent practice and make it look organic in a short period of time. If 1 person gets seriously ill as a result then the whole thing is likely over, not to mention all the medical upkeep that it would take to procure this for months on end while about 2000 Americans are dying daily

Well I think there are some realities that need to be acknowledged Bish. For example I feel like the "cancel the season" crowd believes that if we just scrap this season that in October when the next season starts things will be back to normal and it'll be chill.

That is where I think we really need to pause and assess. If that were true I could see the validity in that argument but what if it isn't? What if whether we're restarting the season now or just scrapping it and starting in October nothing changes. Meaning that in both scenarios we're talking about playing without fans and in neutral arenas.

I definitely think all of this is going to be hard and its not going to be normal but if the only realistic alternative is waiting 2 seasons, until the 2021 season when hopefully we have a vaccine is available just to see basketball again I think that's too much.

This is the kind of stuff that aggravated me a bit about the people who were mad about the UFC putting on their last fight card. Yeah the testing and no fans sucks, yeah its different, yeah it isn't ideal, but if we face the reality that this is simply our world for the next year or two I think you gotta start asking yourself what compromises you're willing to make.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/258151/TV-Networks-Experimenting-With-Virtual-Reality-Fans-For-Broadcasts

3rd best winnng%(73.3%) + most wins(11w) = best true winning % OP
Sole Multiple Banner Holder of 2021-2022 SZN. FACTS
Bishop45
RealGM

Post#1004 » by Bishop45 » Thu May 14, 2020 6:55 pm

Man, I can imagine the cringe of listening to Reggie Miller with the background of silence

Rest in Power Chadwick

AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,844

Post#1005 » by AirP. » Thu May 14, 2020 7:15 pm

I'm hearing the NBA putting things in place to be able to play games again and also handle the situation if someone becomes positive with the virus.

Players are currently able to use the practice facilities while wearing masks, practicing social distancing, and increased cleaning. When the court they're able to take off the masks but currently still have to social distance.

For real games... it comes down to this, if you can presume that all people required for a game are negative for the virus and are also in a controlled environment games should be fine which is why you can't add wildcards like fans. If families are going to stay in this controlled environment they have to live by the same rules as the NBA people. If someone test positive, they are removed instantly, the areas they were at are snatized and everyone around them retests(but they may do daily testing already). It's all about a controlled environment and the NBA has the money and the incentive to do this... and the players have millions of reasons to comply with a controlled environment to allow them to finish the season(and possibly play next year).
Bishop45
RealGM

Post#1006 » by Bishop45 » Fri May 15, 2020 1:30 am

AirP. wrote:

I'm hearing the NBA putting things in place to be able to play games again and also handle the situation if someone becomes positive with the virus.

Players are currently able to use the practice facilities while wearing masks, practicing social distancing, and increased cleaning. When the court they're able to take off the masks but currently still have to social distance.

For real games... it comes down to this, if you can presume that all people required for a game are negative for the virus and are also in a controlled environment games should be fine which is why you can't add wildcards like fans. If families are going to stay in this controlled environment they have to live by the same rules as the NBA people. If someone test positive, they are removed instantly, the areas they were at are snatized and everyone around them retests(but they may do daily testing already). It's all about a controlled environment and the NBA has the money and the incentive to do this... and the players have millions of reasons to comply with a controlled environment to allow them to finish the season(and possibly play next year).

Reality is, they can't keep an 100% controlled environment. That would mean keeping the announcers, custodians, on/off court employees, media, security, hotel workers, etc. all contained in the same place- for months. An actual quarantine

And if somebody- just 1 person- comes up seriously ill, how does the league even explain that? They didn't expect anyone could get sick while on the frontlines of a pandemic?

Rest in Power Chadwick

HeatFanLifer
General Manager
And1: 39,855

Post#1007 » by HeatFanLifer » Fri May 15, 2020 2:07 am

Bishop45 wrote:
AirP. wrote:

Reality is, they can't keep an 100% controlled environment. That would mean keeping the announcers, custodians, on/off court employees, media, security, hotel workers, etc. all contained in the same place- for months. An actual quarantine

And if somebody- just 1 person- comes up seriously ill, how does the league even explain that? They didn't expect anyone could get sick while on the frontlines of a pandemic?

They would have to test frequently to keep the environment contained. Like you said Bish, no way they can maintain a controlled environment. Just reduce the risk of people being exposed. Serious PPE for most if not all and not just this whole wear a mask and you’ll be fine bs. I’m talking full gear. Would probably cost a good bit of money and could take resources away from health care professionals.
OP for NBA FT record
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,844

Post#1008 » by AirP. » Fri May 15, 2020 3:42 am

Bishop45 wrote:
AirP. wrote:

Well, they can get close to a 99% controlled environment if they put in the right precautions and limit access.

I don't know how you feel about the current situation but I don't expect any real breakthroughs for the public this year and with that, I believe we have to move forward and adapt/do the best we can instead of just sitting at home and hope one of these months everything will be magically better.

What worries me is that it's going to probably take a reopening and 2nd outbreak before our society will truly understand that we have to change our day to day activities to minimize spread until we figure out how to really combat this virus. What people don't realize is that there is a huge portion of society who don't utilize the internet all that much and with that, don't understand what really is going on.

Also, I doubt this is the last pandemic we'll see in our lifetimes, the ability to travel long distances in a short amount of time aids the ability to spread a virus globally, it's an issue that got to address better than just hiding in our homes and letting the economy go down the toilet.
HeatFanLifer
General Manager

Post#1009 » by HeatFanLifer » Fri May 15, 2020 3:51 am

AirP. wrote:
Bishop45 wrote:
AirP. wrote:

Well, they can get close to a 99% controlled environment if they put in the right precautions and limit access.

I don't know how you feel about the current situation but I don't expect any real breakthroughs for the public this year and with that, I believe we have to move forward and adapt/do the best we can instead of just sitting at home and hope one of these months everything will be magically better.

What worries me is that it's going to probably take a reopening and 2nd outbreak before our society will truly understand that we have to change our day to day activities to minimize spread until we figure out how to really combat this virus. What people don't realize is that there is a huge portion of society who don't utilize the internet all that much and with that, don't understand what really is going on.

Also, I doubt this is the last pandemic we'll see in our lifetimes, the ability to travel long distances in a short amount of time aids the ability to spread a virus globally, it's an issue that got to address better than just hiding in our homes and letting the economy go down the toilet.

I hope I’m wrong, but I agree we’re gonna see that rebound in cases. Things are finally leveling off and we are declaring victory. Doesn’t work that way.
OP for NBA FT record
Bishop45
RealGM

Post#1010 » by Bishop45 » Fri May 15, 2020 10:49 am

AirP. wrote:
Bishop45 wrote:
AirP. wrote:

There's a middle ground between doing nothing and ignoring everything, we just need to get there. A grand re-opening's not going to happen, and if we're limited on resources and avenues to prioritize- sports shouldn't be it. Especially not now while we're still in the woods

Rest in Power Chadwick

IggieCC
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 239,684

Post#1011 » by IggieCC » Fri May 15, 2020 9:43 pm

still waiting for the shadow boxing resistant bands from freaking Wish to arrive bish
3rd best winnng%(73.3%) + most wins(11w) = best true winning % OP
Sole Multiple Banner Holder of 2021-2022 SZN. FACTS
HeatFanLifer
General Manager

Post#1012 » by HeatFanLifer » Fri May 15, 2020 11:24 pm

IggieCC wrote:Image

still waiting for the shadow boxing resistant bands from freaking Wish to arrive bish

Which one of us are you fighting first Iggie?
OP for NBA FT record
goodboy
RealGM
And1: 185,294

Post#1013 » by goodboy » Fri May 15, 2020 11:37 pm

LMAO

Thats wishful thinking (no pun) to think that chit its gonna be @ your doorstep anytime soon GUY.

ESPECIALLY IN THESE TIMES
Bright
goodboy
RealGM

Post#1014 » by goodboy » Fri May 15, 2020 11:37 pm

HeatFanLifer wrote:

Which one of us are you fighting first Iggie?

Hes training for the foul scum
Bright
HeatFanLifer
General Manager

Post#1015 » by HeatFanLifer » Sat May 16, 2020 6:58 am

Spoiler:
Bishop45 wrote:
AirP. wrote:

[

Looks like we are seeing the first signs of opening too early. The article below notes that the county was already experiencing an uptick in cases before the county even opened, but wow, too soon. Be safe everyone. I hope you all are staying well.

“Palm Beach County, FL reported a 71% increase in new cases the last 7 days compared to the previous 7 days,” the document explains. “The state authorized Palm Beach County to begin Phase 1 of reopening on 11 May, which includes the reopening of barbershops, salons, restaurants, and other businesses.”

https://us.yahoo.com/news/newly-reopened-south-florida-seen-as-emerging-coronavirus-hotspot-223903143.html
OP for NBA FT record
goodboy
RealGM

Post#1016 » by goodboy » Sat May 16, 2020 7:52 am

No surprise that FL is easily one of the dumbest states in the U.S.

But I do like them having the UFC though.
Bright
KingDavid
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 39,859

Post#1017 » by KingDavid » Sat May 16, 2020 7:54 am

goodboy wrote:No surprise that FL is easily one of the dumbest states in the U.S.

Totally, that's why you Canadians can't stay out.
#HEATLifer

Long Live Kobe Bryant. My idol's idol.
HeatFanLifer
General Manager

Post#1018 » by HeatFanLifer » Sat May 16, 2020 8:13 am

KingDavid wrote:
goodboy wrote:No surprise that FL is easily one of the dumbest states in the U.S.

I was once told the entire nation of Canada was not happy with me, a Florida man. This was in a professional setting too.
OP for NBA FT record
goodboy
RealGM

Post#1019 » by goodboy » Sat May 16, 2020 8:13 am

KingDavid wrote:

We just like to use your weather and women. :roll:
Bright
HeatFanLifer
General Manager

Post#1020 » by HeatFanLifer » Sat May 16, 2020 8:18 am

goodboy wrote:
KingDavid wrote:

We just like to use your weather and women. :roll:

Most Canadians in South Florida are snowbirds that stay home all day.
OP for NBA FT record

Return to Miami Heat