ImageImageImage

Should Riles build a Wall?

Moderators: KingDavid, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside

Should Riles trade for Wall?

Yes
20%
No
80%

Total votes: 10

Beenie
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,336

Should Riles build a Wall? 

Post#1 » by Beenie » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:34 am

Seems that Heat fans are polarized on whether or not they'd like to see John Wall in a Vice Night uni. Assuming that Riles could land the former #1 overall pick w/o sacrificing Mia's first rounder next year, would you support such a trade?
twix2500
RealGM
And1: 22,247

Re: Should Riles build a Wall? 

Post#2 » by twix2500 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:00 am

The Heat fans only want to sign a top 5 player, with no baggage, under 20 mill per year and under the age 26.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
HeatFanLifer
General Manager
And1: 39,855

Post#3 » by HeatFanLifer » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:03 am

I think Wall would be a great asset under the right coach. I’m not sure Spo is the right coach.
OP for NBA FT record
twix2500
RealGM

Post#4 » by twix2500 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:36 am

I actually think Spo is the perfect coach. His system fits Wall style of play. Top of the 3 pt line PnR heavy.

HeatFanLifer
General Manager

Post#5 » by HeatFanLifer » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:58 am

twix2500 wrote:I actually think Spo is the perfect coach. His system fits Wall style of play. Top of the 3 pt line PnR heavy.

What system? Top of the 3 pt line PnR heavy is what Spo learned from Wade. Wall can be great if he’s in a system built to integrate his talents. Not a system built around his talents. Wall is not Lebron’s level of talent. Wall needs a good coach to get him to the next level.
OP for NBA FT record
goodboy
RealGM
And1: 185,289

Post#6 » by goodboy » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:44 am

Have you looked at his contract?

I hope we dont touch that.

We're already the laughing stock when it comes to managing money.
Bright
Mos_Heat
RealGM
And1: 36,800

Post#7 » by Mos_Heat » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:09 am

If he wants to prolong treadmill life, then yea
:reporter:
Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 71,932

Post#8 » by Wiltside » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:54 am

Depends what the cost is tbh. But generally speaking, id rather we just went to the draft and tanked this year out.
Formerly BG44, MB30 and Wade County at BasketballForum.com
HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Post#9 » by HIF » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:55 am

With his contract can he actually attract 2 other "stars". If so take him but I think he probably is over-priced and not good enough.
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
twix2500
RealGM

Post#10 » by twix2500 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:01 pm

HeatFanLifer wrote:
twix2500 wrote:I actually think Spo is the perfect coach. His system fits Wall style of play. Top of the 3 pt line PnR heavy.

What system? Top of the 3 pt line PnR heavy is what Spo learned from Wade. Wall can be great if he’s in a system built to integrate his talents. Not a system built around his talents. Wall is not Lebron’s level of talent. Wall needs a good coach to get him to the next level.

Spo is a system coach like Phil and Antoni. You got to find the right star players that fit Spo system. You see the difference Antoni and Harden or Nash together oppose to Antoni and Kobe or Melo.

Spo wants to be a high pace PnR team on offense, and pressure point guards on defense (even thou I'm suspicious that Spo doesn't know how to play high pace), Wall is that. Funny you mention LeBron. Wall is actually like LeBron in regards to style of play. Wall is not as physically talented as James but Wall is an elite physics talent. After Westbook and Simmons, Wall might be right behind them physically.

Get Wall in shape, fully committed, a system where he can be the distributor, and surround him with off the ball finishers. He can be an efficient 23 pt scorer, 11 assist, 5 rbs and elite defensive point guard. Similar to how Kidd was built around in New Jersey.

twix2500
RealGM

Post#11 » by twix2500 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:24 pm

PG: JOHN WALL
SG: JOSH RICHARDSON
SF: CAM REDDISH
PF: BAM ADEBAYO
C: KELLY OLYNYK

HeatFanLifer
General Manager

Post#12 » by HeatFanLifer » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:10 pm

twix2500 wrote:
Spo is a system coach like Phil and Antoni. You got to find the right star players that fit Spo system. You see the difference Antoni and Harden or Nash together oppose to Antoni and Kobe or Melo.

Spo wants to be a high pace PnR team on offense, and pressure point guards on defense (even thou I'm suspicious that Spo doesn't know how to play high pace), Wall is that. Funny you mention LeBron. Wall is actually like LeBron in regards to style of play. Wall is not as physically talented as James but Wall is an elite physics talent. After Westbook and Simmons, Wall might be right behind them physically.

Get Wall in shape, fully committed, a system where he can be the distributor, and surround him with off the ball finishers. He can be an efficient 23 pt scorer, 11 assist, 5 rbs and elite defensive point guard. Similar to how Kidd was built around in New Jersey.

I agree with you that wall is a highly talented player. When I stated he could be great in the right system I meant he could win a championship in the right system.

What I question is whether Spo has a system to help Wall be great (I.e. win a championship). Spo has a system where Wall would be good (I.e make the second round or even ECF’s), but so do many other coaches. In order for Wall to be great, he’s going to need a coach that knows what to do to integrate talent to win a championship.

I’m not sure Spo is at that level. Few coaches are.
OP for NBA FT record
IggieCC
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 239,684

Post#13 » by IggieCC » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:21 pm

heinous contract

his bulky knee will flare up in no time in Heat program

/thread
3rd best winnng%(73.3%) + most wins(11w) = best true winning % OP
Sole Multiple Banner Holder of 2021-2022 SZN. FACTS
twix2500
RealGM

Post#14 » by twix2500 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:01 pm

This is why if Washington is smart they would trade Wall as a salary dumb and only expect salary cap relief in return. 100 mill for 4 players in 2020 summer. Try to fill a roster with only 20 mill of cap with just 4 players.Image

twix2500
RealGM

Post#15 » by twix2500 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:50 pm

The more I think about it, the more I think it will be a good idea to make the move this summer for John Wall. The Heat can now shop Dragic without worry about a replacement. And trade others for another disgruntled star.

twix2500
RealGM

Post#16 » by twix2500 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:19 pm

Read on Twitter

Granted, the money will make any negotiations complex. If there is a Wall suitor that makes sense, it’s the Miami Heat, who need an injection of star talent, and are financially saddled entering next summer’s potentially starry free agency period. Stuck with Hassan Whiteside and Tyler Johnson through 2020, the Heat are in a position to take a risk and inject some energy into a roster replete with tough players, but lacking in ceiling. It was a poorly-kept secret that the Heat were part of the preseason sweepstakes for Jimmy Butler, which ended over the weekend as the Timberwolves dealt him to the 76ers. That move served to beef up an established Eastern Conference hierarchy that includes neither Miami nor Washington—a Wall trade between the two teams would be more about shaping plans for the future.

The proposition of paying Wall so much for so long is such that teams could reasonably ask for future draft assets as a makeweight to inherit his salary. Miami dealt their unprotected 2021 first-rounder to Phoenix as part of the Goran Dragic trade, and recouping a draft asset would likely sweeten the proposition of an opportunity to take Wall and try to return him to top form. As part of a deal, the Heat could send Dragic, still effective but also 32 years old, to match money and give the Wizards a chance to play their way back into the playoff picture. Miami could view a Wall addition as equivalent to a big free agent signing, then try to get creative with the roster next summer.

Wall already spends a large chunk of his summers living in Miami. There is ongoing chatter that his partying habit has become an issue, which he’s addressed publicly. But the Heat have long held a firm organizational belief in their ability to get the most out of their players, with a focus on conditioning and discipline and a track record of rehabilitating careers. It would still be a serious long-term financial risk for the Heat, but if nothing else it’s a fresh approach to rejiggering a team that has grown somewhat stagnant, and clearly fallen short of its intended ceiling. Josh Richardson has improved markedly, but there is no star lying in wait, and Miami has never been interested in tanking. The prospect of returning Wall to top form is a massive gamble, but of all the potential suitors, the Heat might embrace the chance.

Return to Miami Heat