ImageImageImage

Our young studs,leading the way

Moderators: KingDavid, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside

Kobewade11
General Manager
And1: 15,658

Re: Our young studs,leading the way 

Post#61 » by Kobewade11 » Tue Mar 5, 2019 6:34 pm

BBallFreak wrote:Lot of season left to go, but you stay classy.

We're playing the long game. If we miss the playoffs, it stinks, but that doesn't take away from the improvements the youngsters have made. Again, please take your negativity elsewhere. It's not welcome in this thread.

well said
Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 71,828

Post#62 » by Wiltside » Tue Mar 5, 2019 9:57 pm

While Bam and Justise have got most of the press (deservedly so) of late, lets give some props to JRich for his February:

17.9ppg
3.1rpg
4.5apg
0.4bpg
0.8spg
2.0tpg
35.9mpg

6.5/13.2 = 49.5%fg
2.3/6.0 = 38.9% 3fg
2.6/3.0 = 86.1% ft

His attempts are down and efficiency up from November/December, and he's the lone consistent FT shooter on this damn team. It's a good sign when he puts up these types of numbers and we barely blink an eye. While February's numbers are in line with his season averages, it feels like he's being a lot more natural with it - not forcing it - and taking the open looks he's getting, rather than trying to create off the dribble too much.

While he's probably my 3rd fav of the young crew, Rich has come a really long way. Unbelievable value from a 2nd round pick, and his contract will certainly be a boon for us going forward. $10m per for these types of numbers is ideal - I just wish we could settle him in as a 3rd option, as I think he'd really kill it if the pressure was off a little offensively for him. Be good to see those block and steal numbers increase a little too - he's down significantly on those this season, probably due to increased offensive burden reducing his defensive impact a little.
Formerly BG44, MB30 and Wade County at BasketballForum.com
twix2500
RealGM
And1: 22,205

Post#63 » by twix2500 » Tue Mar 5, 2019 9:59 pm

Wiltside wrote:While Bam and Justise have got most of the press (deservedly so) of late, lets give some props to JRich for his February:

17.9ppg
3.1rpg
4.5apg
0.4bpg
0.8spg
2.0tpg
35.9mpg

6.5/13.2 = 49.5%fg
2.3/6.0 = 38.9% 3fg
2.6/3.0 = 86.1% ft

His attempts are down and efficiency up from November/December, and he's the lone consistent FT shooter on this damn team. It's a good sign when he puts up these types of numbers and we barely blink an eye. While February's numbers are in line with his season averages, it feels like he's being a lot more natural with it - not forcing it - and taking the open looks he's getting, rather than trying to create off the dribble too much.

While he's probably my 3rd fav of the young crew, Rich has come a really long way. Unbelievable value from a 2nd round pick, and his contract will certainly be a boon for us going forward. $10m per for these types of numbers is ideal - I just wish we could settle him in as a 3rd option, as I think he'd really kill it if the pressure was off a little offensively for him. Be good to see those block and steal numbers increase a little too - he's down significantly on those this season, probably due to increased offensive burden reducing his defensive impact a little.
17 to 18 pts is probably his range at his peak efficiency at this pace.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#64 » by Wiltside » Tue Mar 5, 2019 10:06 pm

twix2500 wrote:17 to 18 pts is probably his range at his peak efficiency at this pace.

Totally fine with that twix. You need 3rd options averaging around 17-18 on decent efficiency. I'd much rather Rich was averaging 17-18 on 47-50% than 20-22 on 40%.
twix2500
RealGM

Post#65 » by twix2500 » Tue Mar 5, 2019 10:27 pm

Wiltside wrote:
twix2500 wrote:17 to 18 pts is probably his range at his peak efficiency at this pace.

Totally fine with that twix. You need 3rd options averaging around 17-18 on decent efficiency. I'd much rather Rich was averaging 17-18 on 47-50% than 20-22 on 40%.
This summer he really has to become a better passer. He needs to sit down and watch game tapes of how teams are defending him and how not to fall into their traps.

twix2500
RealGM

Post#66 » by twix2500 » Tue Mar 5, 2019 10:31 pm

BBallFreak wrote:
Kate Winslow wrote:Derrick Jones Jr. went undrafted. That's crazy. Even though he was extremely raw, you look at his size and physical gifts and take a chance on a player like that in the 2nd round. It's not like he was a senior either, he was a freshman.

You look at him now and look at a guy like Bender who came from the same class, but was drafted 4th overall. Bender wasn't drafted for his production, but for his potential due to those unicorn attributes, 4th overall. Same age, Jones is just getting started while Bender looks like he'll be out of the league.

Ironically, DJJ started in Phoenix. They passed him up, obviously believing he wasn't good enough. But that happens in this league. Udonis Haslem was cut by the Spurs before coming to our developmental program. We cut Patrick Beverly and watched him become exactly the point guard we needed for another team. It happens. I think we do better than most.

And with this crop, I think we're doing exceptionally well. It was masterful scouting that got J-Rich in Miami, on a contract that worked perfectly in what we wanted (we signed him to a first round deal, even though he was a second rounder), Bam was considered a reach, and it took a ton of patience to get Winslow to where he is today. It has a lot to do with luck, and a lot to do with skill. Our front office has both...
I think Pheonix had so many young swing players. They chose their draft picks over an undrafted. DJJ success here is more about fit. All the ball handlers on this team, we need Luol Dang type at SF, and DJJ fits that role.

Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#67 » by Wiltside » Tue Mar 5, 2019 10:55 pm

twix2500 wrote:
BBallFreak wrote:
Kate Winslow wrote:Derrick Jones Jr. went undrafted. That's crazy. Even though he was extremely raw, you look at his size and physical gifts and take a chance on a player like that in the 2nd round. It's not like he was a senior either, he was a freshman.

You look at him now and look at a guy like Bender who came from the same class, but was drafted 4th overall. Bender wasn't drafted for his production, but for his potential due to those unicorn attributes, 4th overall. Same age, Jones is just getting started while Bender looks like he'll be out of the league.

Ironically, DJJ started in Phoenix. They passed him up, obviously believing he wasn't good enough. But that happens in this league. Udonis Haslem was cut by the Spurs before coming to our developmental program. We cut Patrick Beverly and watched him become exactly the point guard we needed for another team. It happens. I think we do better than most.

And with this crop, I think we're doing exceptionally well. It was masterful scouting that got J-Rich in Miami, on a contract that worked perfectly in what we wanted (we signed him to a first round deal, even though he was a second rounder), Bam was considered a reach, and it took a ton of patience to get Winslow to where he is today. It has a lot to do with luck, and a lot to do with skill. Our front office has both...
I think Pheonix had so many young swing players. They chose their draft picks over an undrafted. DJJ success here is more about fit. All the ball handlers on this team, we need Luol Dang type at SF, and DJJ fits that role.

From memory, PHX had a roster spot squeeze and had to cut someone. I think they were hoping to cut DJJ and sign him to a 2-way deal, but he and his agent must've seen our development track record and liked the look of our opportunity better.
gom
Heat forum: Expert Predictor
And1: 42,453

Post#68 » by gom » Wed Mar 6, 2019 5:33 am

Hoops23 wrote:
BBallFreak wrote:
twix2500 wrote:It wasn't the management decision it was the owner emotional decision to match TJ. Pat was against it.

I didn't know that. Very interesting. Of course, Waiters and JJ were Riley's, so he's not excused from the bad contract mess, but if Waiters gets back to the level he was at when he got the contract I'll be ok with his deal, and if JJ can just stay on the floor consistently and perform like we know he can I won't be angry there, either. Both of those are big ifs though.

The ultimate cure to our bad contract woes comes at the end of next year, though. TJ, Whiteside, and Dragic all expiring (or traded for disgruntled stars) will feel good.

I remember Riley told reporters after matching Nets offer for TJ, he said "TJ is one of Mr. Arison favorite player". Riley also said that he wants to spread the $50m contract of TJ but the latter say no because he wants to honor the Nets proposal.

If Miami got HAyward, there is no Waiters and Olynyk!

Once the Nets made the proposal the Heat had to match every clause exactly as written. We could have signed TJ before for a different deal, but it's against the cba to change the terms if you match a player.

cbafaq wrote:When a restricted free agent wants to sign with another team, the player and team sign an offer sheet, the principal terms of which the original team is given two days to match.4 The offer sheet must be for at least two seasons (not including option years), and a standard NBA contract (not a Two-Way contract). If the player's prior team also submitted a maximum qualifying offer, then the offer sheet must be for at least three seasons (not including option years). If the player's original team exercises its right of first refusal within two days (by issuing a First Refusal Exercise Notice), the player is then under contract to his original team, at the principal terms of the offer sheet (but not the non-principal terms). If the player's original team does not exercise its right of first refusal within two days (or provides written notice that it is declining its right of first refusal), the player is deemed to be under contract with the new team.

The principal terms of an offer sheet consist of the following. Any other terms of an offer are not considered to be principal terms, and the player's original team is not required to match:

The number of years, including option years.
The base salary
The amount of any signing bonus or deferred compensation, including the payment schedule
Certain bonuses -- those considered to be "likely" for both teams (see question number 74), and those based on generally recognized league honors
Any allowable amendments such as guarantees, options and trade bonuses

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q42
I remember 11-30 with these guys. ^
Kobewade11
General Manager
And1: 15,658

Post#69 » by Kobewade11 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:15 pm

After Ernie Johnson narrated a highlight of Derrick Jones Jr.’s recent gravity-defying dunk against Toronto, where he essentially flew through the air and threw the ball in the basket, Smith said this:

“A guy with that athleticism, you give me three months with him and he’ll be the best player in the league.”

Jones is ready to take Smith up on that offer.

“If he’s offering to help, I’m 100 percent in; he was a great player,” said Jones, who has impressed the Heat with his energy, athleticism, defense, offensive rebounding and improved offensive game. “Whatever help I can get in this league to become a great player and impose my will on other teams, I’m taking it.”

Ask Jones how far he is from his ceiling as a player, and he put it this way while standing inside Milwaukee’s Fiserv Forum on Friday afternoon:

“Me laying down and that roof up there, that’s how close I am; I am very far away” he said hours before closing with 11 points, 7 rebounds, three assists and a steal in 25 minutes of Friday’s 116-87 loss at Milwaukee.

“I’m only 22 years old. I work hard. I am in the gym every day. I’ve seen improvement from day one of me stepping in this Miami Heat culture to now. My game has changed a whole lot. Everything is different for me. The game is a lot slower to me.”

Jones, incidentally, has targeted one personal goal: becoming the best defensive player in the league.

“Until I get that accolade, of being Defensive Player of the Year several years in a row, then my defense isn’t at the top of its ability,” he said. “That’s the one thing I want to be – a lock down defender, Defensive Player of the Year multiple years in a row. I want to be that player where if team needs a stop no matter who that person is, you put me on him and I will do it.”

During another introspective moment recently, Jones revealed how far he has come.

“Coming into this league, I was a very young kid,” he said. “I’m not afraid to say it: I was immature. Coming to this team, being around all these vets and all these great players, that made my game change, my mentality change. On the court, off the court, everything has changed about me.

“Being late was one of my main problems in Phoenix. I was late a few times, but it was nothing that actually made them waive me. Here, if we have walk through at 4:30, I’m trying to get on the court at 3:30 for warmup before we have our pre-walk through. I try to be here an hour before we actually have to be here.”
https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article226998644.html

Return to Miami Heat