ImageImageImage

Dennis Smith Jr.

Moderators: KingDavid, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside

DSJ: yay or nay

Yay
45%
Nay
55%

Total votes: 22

MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 144,699

Re: Dennis Smith Jr. 

Post#21 » by MettaWorldPanda » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:55 pm

Dr_Heat wrote:Keep our pick that’s all I’m asking for

Nothing is happening here unless we pony up our pick unprotected. Dallas most likely trades him to the Suns or Magic for some young talent back in return. Suns will most likely dangle Jackson or Oubre with Bender. Magic will try to entice with their young front court talent.
Bishop45
RealGM
And1: 109,475

Post#22 » by Bishop45 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:09 pm

Wouldn't give much for him
Long Live Winnie. Mamba siempre

Rest in Power Chadwick

#PeaceinGaza #FreedomforPalestine
gom
Heat forum: Expert Predictor
And1: 42,453

Post#23 » by gom » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:14 pm

MettaWorldPanda wrote:

Nothing is happening here unless we pony up our pick unprotected. Dallas most likely trades him to the Suns or Magic for some young talent back in return. Suns will most likely dangle Jackson or Oubre with Bender. Magic will try to entice with their young front court talent.

I would be shocked if the Magic trade Isaac or Bamba for Dennis Smith. Both Orlando players are better and have more potential.

Jackson is not very good, and I could see him getting swapped for Dennis Smith. They are both still very young. Dallas will likely want the Milwaukee pick, but that deal should have already gotten done if it were available. It's not like PHO needs the #29 FRP.

Nobody wants Oubre or Bender.

I'd probably do Dragic for Wesley Matthews and a SRP too. Then we dump Ellington to Denver and we're out of the tax until 7/2020 when we have 2 max slots, our two picks from 2019 & 2020 and Winslow/Richardson/Adebayo along with DJJ, if we can resign him. It's been worse.
I remember 11-30 with these guys. ^
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#24 » by MettaWorldPanda » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:17 pm

gom wrote:
MettaWorldPanda wrote:

I would be shocked if the Magic trade Isaac or Bamba for Dennis Smith. Both Orlando players are better and have more potential.

Jackson is not very good, and I could see him getting swapped for Dennis Smith. They are both still very young. Dallas will likely want the Milwaukee pick, but that deal should have already gotten done if it were available. It's not like PHO needs the #29 FRP.

Nobody wants Oubre or Bender.

I'd probably do Dragic for Wesley Matthews and a SRP too. Then we dump Ellington to Denver and we're out of the tax until 7/2020 when we have 2 max slots, our two picks from 2019 & 2020 and Winslow/Richardson/Adebayo along with DJJ, if we can resign him. It's been worse.

Jackson for Smith would seem to be a good deal for both. Good change of scenary trade involving two young lottery picks. The Matthews and SRP for Dragic is probably the low end for a injured Dragic with opt out next year but I would push for a protected future 1st.

If the organization can get anything for Dragic at the deadline they have to make a move. I have a good feeling that Dragic opts out next year and if he's not in the long term plans then we need to salvage getting some assets.

The bonus for Dallas is atleast they would be getting Dragic and bird rights if they traded for him. Would also seem like a do right by Dragic good faith trade giving him the opportunity to play with Doncic.

Can be easily played off as hey we love you Dragic but Winslow is our future at PG and the future is now. Wonder if the Mavs would also take on Ellington giving us that tax relief. Maybe work out a 2021 protected first into the mix coming back to us.
twix2500
RealGM
And1: 22,248

Post#25 » by twix2500 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:53 pm

gom wrote:You guys are just nuts. DSJ is not worth Dragic + Ellington + FRP -- stop being silly.

Now... if the return besides him are expirings (this season!) and the sum is $6.7M less than the current value (or even more), I might be interested, but not because of DSJ, who appears to be a shooting guard who cannot really shoot.
Yeah they down graded Goran to a cap filler player

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
twix2500
RealGM
And1: 22,248

Post#26 » by twix2500 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:57 pm

kobewade11 wrote:I prefer to play bigger. I’d be more interested in Aaron Gordon or Jonathan Isaac if they are indeed on the table in DSJ talks.
I agree, and I really like Smith. I think we need to focus on a player who give another dimension and someone who bring size to the table. I see Gordon and Isaac as great fits here.

puppa bear
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,500

Post#27 » by puppa bear » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:37 am

twix2500 wrote:
kobewade11 wrote:I prefer to play bigger. I’d be more interested in Aaron Gordon or Jonathan Isaac if they are indeed on the table in DSJ talks.
I agree, and I really like Smith. I think we need to focus on a player who give another dimension and someone who bring size to the table. I see Gordon and Isaac as great fits here.

Either would be great at the 4, but we don’t have the assets we’d want to move to get them. Bam would be their target, and would fit amazingly between Isaac/Bamba. But he’s exactly who we’d be trying to put Gordon/Isaac next to.
ElDoggo
Veteran
And1: 6,581

Post#28 » by ElDoggo » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:59 am

I would be ok with this trade. Dallas gets the best player but miami gets something for nothing as it gets a young player with potential for 2 players they will lose for nothing and dragic gets to play w luca.
Hoops23
General Manager
And1: 1,269

Post#29 » by Hoops23 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:30 am

I am in favor of trading Dragic, Ellington and a FRP for DSJ, Matthews and a 2nd rd pick.

Some teams give out a FRP for them to get out of the tax land.
With that trade, Miami is getting a young player for their 1st pick plus they saves some cash this season, and they can use their MLE in the off-season without worrying about the tax. I dont know if there's a good player in this years draft around 15-17 that can make a difference for the Heat. IMO, it will be wise to get someone like DSJ for that pick.
As for Dragic, he's old and injuries are now getting to him. Plus, the Heat are set to have cap space in 2020, then why not get something for Dragic now than letting him walk for nothing when he becomes a free agent???

Fans dont value saving cash but owners do.
puppa bear
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,500

Post#30 » by puppa bear » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:21 pm

Hoops23 wrote:I am in favor of trading Dragic, Ellington and a FRP for DSJ, Matthews and a 2nd rd pick.

Some teams give out a FRP for them to get out of the tax land.
With that trade, Miami is getting a young player for their 1st pick plus they saves some cash this season, and they can use their MLE in the off-season without worrying about the tax. I dont know if there's a good player in this years draft around 15-17 that can make a difference for the Heat. IMO, it will be wise to get someone like DSJ for that pick.
As for Dragic, he's old and injuries are now getting to him. Plus, the Heat are set to have cap space in 2020, then why not get something for Dragic now than letting him walk for nothing when he becomes a free agent???

Fans dont value saving cash but owners do.

I’ve been thinking about he draft and there’s a few SF/PF who’s value seem to be all over the place - we may be able to nab one of them, as the SG/PG and pure wing seem to be more popular at the moment. Between Little/Hachimura/Okpala/Doumbouya I’m sure one of those would be in our range - they have all been all over the place on different sites. I’d most like Hachimura of those, but would settle for Doumbouya - possibly the most attainable at our likely draft position.

Having said that, slotting Smith would be a nice pick-up and if he could defend the point and play offensively between Winslow/Richardson then he’d be a great pick-up. But I just don’t see what we have to offer the Mavs as worth their interest.
gom
Heat forum: Expert Predictor
And1: 42,453

Post#31 » by gom » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:22 am

Yeah, I'd rather keep our pick. We did really well with it before, and to be honest, I'm not that sold on Dennis Smith Jr on the Heat. One player we might consider is Jontay Porter who is out this season with an ACL injury. Jontay was a lottery pick before the injury and could certainly fall. He plays PF or C and can space the floor. I know it's tough to come back from an ACL injury, but youth is a factor in recovery. Right?

I remember 11-30 with these guys. ^
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 79,952

Post#32 » by DayofMourning » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:11 am

Im with gom on this one. Not interested in DSJ.

Certainly not giving up a FRP for him. Jontay makes sense for us.
Mos_Heat
RealGM
And1: 36,800

Post#33 » by Mos_Heat » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:27 am

I answered Yay
:reporter:
Hoops23
General Manager
And1: 1,269

Post#34 » by Hoops23 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:42 am

The draft is over rated.
There is no assurance you get a good player. If The Heat missed out a good player at #2 in the 2008 draft, much more if your drafting a player outside the lottery. Trading the Heats pick this year for DSJ is a safe pick/move. Take to consider in the deal, its not just getting DSJ but getting salary flexibility for next season
HeatIn5
General Manager
And1: 18,357

Post#35 » by HeatIn5 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:29 pm

Who says no?

Heat give: Goran Dragic, James Johnson, Rodney McGruder, Derrick Jones Jr., 2022 2nd round pick

Mavericks give: Dennis Smith Jr, Dwight Powell, Wesley Matthews

For Heat: Get the best upside player in the deal. Lower 1 year from JJ deal to Powell and unload Matthews huge expiring in offseason.

For Mavs: Get much better complimentary pieces around Luka
Read on Twitter
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#36 » by MettaWorldPanda » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:04 pm

Read on Twitter
Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 71,934

Post#37 » by Wiltside » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:20 pm

MettaWorldPanda wrote:
Read on Twitter

Sounds like a leverage play to try strong arm suitors. It's looking pretty clear that it's not working out for Smith and Dallas.
Formerly BG44, MB30 and Wade County at BasketballForum.com
Retro_MDR255
Sophomore
And1: 166

Post#38 » by Retro_MDR255 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:27 pm

a lineup next year of Smith, Butler, j rich, Winslow , Bam could really go places
Chalm Down
RealGM
And1: 132,753

Post#39 » by Chalm Down » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:02 am

So does he want to sit out, or is Dallas sitting him for a trade?

Read on Twitter
Bishop45 wrote:"Let Iggie start the season brehs, was the wors that could happen"

Return to Miami Heat