ImageImageImage

New incoming, hopefully, Okpala

Moderators: BFRESH44, IggieCC, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside

User avatar
twix2500
RealGM
Posts: 15,743
And1: 11,017
Joined: Dec 25, 2003
   

Re: New incoming, hopefully, Okpala 

Post#21 » by twix2500 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:21 pm

RexBoyWonder wrote:I'm having an hard time findind a player comp for this cat.

KZ is tall, long, skinny, drives to the rim a lot with a surprisingly polished handle, shots 3's on decent rate and %.
Not a good passer or shot blocker, might be a late bloomer physically.

So basically he looks like a big, raw wing, that can get his own scoring going, defend multiple positions but not bring a huge defensive impact despite his size.

Is he a Kuzma?


Bish is right about Okpala being a bit wreckless. But its do to smarts and technique. He has a very good first step, just not the smartest. I am not trying to call him dumb, but it does look like coaching was lacking. There are a number things technique wise, not talent wise that he struggle with. I think it will very quickly be resolved under the Heat coaching. Okpala is very quick but that gets him into a lot of tough spots that his length gets him out of some times. But the thing I like about him is his aggressiveness. He is trying to utilize his quickness and length, he just needs to figure it all out. This is what makes him struggle passing. The same defensively, he has technique issues not talent or motor issues. You will see him turn his head or position is body wrong and end up trying to use his length to recover. Those are usually coaching issues.
User avatar
JustiseForMiami
Veteran
Posts: 2,682
And1: 5,627
Joined: Jul 02, 2015
       

Re: New incoming, hopefully, Okpala 

Post#22 » by JustiseForMiami » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:21 pm

Bishop45 wrote:
RexBoyWonder wrote:I'm having an hard time findind a player comp for this cat.

KZ is tall, long, skinny, drives to the rim a lot with a surprisingly polished handle, shots 3's on decent rate and %.
Not a good passer or shot blocker, might be a late bloomer physically.

So basically he looks like a big, raw wing, that can get his own scoring going, defend multiple positions but not bring a huge defensive impact despite his size.

Is he a Kuzma?


Hate you player comp scrounging Mofo's


^Bait


Anyways, I see a very raw (as he was coming out of college) Paul George. I dont think KZ has the upside of PG, but to me that’s how his college development comps.
Read on Twitter

Wiltside wrote:Can confirm Tyler Herro is, indeed, a bucket.

Chalm Downs wrote:Me too cute
Bhut Jolokia
Sophomore
Posts: 240
And1: 140
Joined: Jul 01, 2004
       

Re: New incoming, hopefully, Okpala 

Post#23 » by Bhut Jolokia » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:26 pm

Okpala grew up playing guard but then he had a late growth spurt. He’s still trying to figure out how to play with his frame but he improved a lot in the past year. He has great length (7-2 wingspan) and takes long strides when driving to the hoop with good body control. But he still needs to improve on his overall basketball fundamentals. I think Okpala can develop into a Brandon Ingram type of player.
batterybro42
Pro Prospect
Posts: 889
And1: 943
Joined: Jul 06, 2014

Re: New incoming, hopefully, Okpala 

Post#24 » by batterybro42 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:44 pm

The closest player I’ve seen to him is perhaps a young Paul George. Don’t think his shooting will ever be that good, but who knows with his FT percentage he’s got a chance.

We could roll with him at the 4 in the all future lineup

Winslow
Herro
Jrich
Okpala
Bam
User avatar
twix2500
RealGM
Posts: 15,743
And1: 11,017
Joined: Dec 25, 2003
   

Re: New incoming, hopefully, Okpala 

Post#25 » by twix2500 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:16 pm

Here is Okpala shot chart last year Image

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
The Bunk
Sophomore
Posts: 191
And1: 512
Joined: Jun 10, 2019
         

Re: New incoming, hopefully, Okpala 

Post#26 » by The Bunk » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:15 pm

BFRESH44 wrote:Like him better than Nassir Little


This.

And more than Keldon Johnson for that matter as well.
DrHeat
Sophomore
Posts: 116
And1: 297
Joined: Jul 09, 2008

Re: New incoming, hopefully, Okpala 

Post#27 » by DrHeat » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:51 pm

Riley must have liked Okpala a lot... I am sure he was ranked top 20 in the Heat board...3 future 2th rounds picks is a lot for # 32
I feel this was a great draft for Miami they got a player that can contribute and play fairly soon in Herro and a super athletic guy with excellent tools that is going go be project but has off the chart potential with good coaching and can be developed
User avatar
HeatFanLifer
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,311
And1: 22,435
Joined: Oct 20, 2016
Location: Chalm Down Porch (in tent)
 

Re: New incoming, hopefully, Okpala 

Post#28 » by HeatFanLifer » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:11 pm

DrHeat wrote:Riley must have liked Okpala a lot... I am sure he was ranked top 20 in the Heat board...3 future 2th rounds picks is a lot for # 32
I feel this was a great draft for Miami they got a player that can contribute and play fairly soon in Herro and a super athletic guy with excellent tools that is going go be project but has off the chart potential with good coaching and can be developed


Second round picks can literally be acquired by giving a team money. Thought you had better insight on this stuff DrHeat. Perhaps Dr_Heat can show you the way of the NBA.
Banner holder in 2018.
ATL GT Banner Holder per Enso
Image
User avatar
radikalBaller
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,336
And1: 7,556
Joined: Oct 09, 2007
Location: On the way
 

Re: New incoming, hopefully, Okpala 

Post#29 » by radikalBaller » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:15 pm

What is not so great is that this team will continue to play Jrich out of position when he should be developed as our starting SG, unless they move back Winslow to SF but Herro does not have Winslow's PG game and cannot guard multiple position in the nba, plus Riley still plan on playing Dragic and Waiters heavy minutes.. . I don't understand were they want to go :crazy:
Image
User avatar
radikalBaller
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,336
And1: 7,556
Joined: Oct 09, 2007
Location: On the way
 

Re: New incoming, hopefully, Okpala 

Post#30 » by radikalBaller » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:18 pm

Winslow
JRich
Doumbouya
Okpala
Bam

With 44th on Ponds as backup pg and DJJ as a backup wing, this team could have been so great and fun to watch...A super athletic and Long promising young core with great defensive potential
Image
User avatar
puppa bear
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,988
And1: 2,324
Joined: Jan 06, 2006
Location: Perth, Australia
   

Re: New incoming, hopefully, Okpala 

Post#31 » by puppa bear » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:56 am

radikalBaller wrote:Winslow
JRich
Doumbouya
Okpala
Bam

This! 100% this! Would have been a great draft for us, IMO. It splitting hairs, but I’d swap KZ & Sekou.

Herro can still pan out and become a nice pick - I think he’s a safer (less upside) pick than the Bam pick, but hopefully I’m wrong on that.
User avatar
DBurks2818
Analyst
Posts: 3,583
And1: 1,403
Joined: Mar 16, 2006
Location: Where Amazing Happened.
 

Re: New incoming, hopefully, Okpala 

Post#32 » by DBurks2818 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:01 am

HeatFanLifer wrote:
DrHeat wrote:Riley must have liked Okpala a lot... I am sure he was ranked top 20 in the Heat board...3 future 2th rounds picks is a lot for # 32
I feel this was a great draft for Miami they got a player that can contribute and play fairly soon in Herro and a super athletic guy with excellent tools that is going go be project but has off the chart potential with good coaching and can be developed


Second round picks can literally be acquired by giving a team money. Thought you had better insight on this stuff DrHeat. Perhaps Dr_Heat can show you the way of the NBA.


I've seen several people say this and I personally think it's not a very nuanced answer. Second-rounders can be acquired for cash pretty often, sure, but a #32 overall pick is not just a second-rounder. It (along with 31-34/35) is essentially an extra first-round pick that comes with a lower cap hold and less guarantees (lower risk for what is still typically a first-round talent albeit one on the bubble). That means picks in this range are especially valuable and rarely go for just cash alone.

Heck, here's what the #34 pick went for just last year:

June 21, 2018: Atlanta Hawks to Charlotte Hornets[13]
Charlotte acquired Atlanta's second round pick (#34)
Atlanta acquired Charlotte's 2019 and 2023 second round selections

And #37 last year:
June 21, 2018: Sacramento Kings to Portland Trail Blazers[29]
Portland acquired Sacramento's second round pick (#37)
Sacramento acquired two future second round selections and cash considerations

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_NBA_draft

Whatever the case used to be in the old days, high second-round picks are more valuable under the new CBA and aren't just given away for money anymore. I think if the Heat overpaid, it was only slightly.
User avatar
HeatFanLifer
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,311
And1: 22,435
Joined: Oct 20, 2016
Location: Chalm Down Porch (in tent)
 

Re: New incoming, hopefully, Okpala 

Post#33 » by HeatFanLifer » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:35 am

DBurks2818 wrote:
HeatFanLifer wrote:
DrHeat wrote:Riley must have liked Okpala a lot... I am sure he was ranked top 20 in the Heat board...3 future 2th rounds picks is a lot for # 32
I feel this was a great draft for Miami they got a player that can contribute and play fairly soon in Herro and a super athletic guy with excellent tools that is going go be project but has off the chart potential with good coaching and can be developed


Second round picks can literally be acquired by giving a team money. Thought you had better insight on this stuff DrHeat. Perhaps Dr_Heat can show you the way of the NBA.


I've seen several people say this and I personally think it's not a very nuanced answer. Second-rounders can be acquired for cash pretty often, sure, but a #32 overall pick is not just a second-rounder. It (along with 31-34/35) is essentially an extra first-round pick that comes with a lower cap hold and less guarantees (lower risk for what is still typically a first-round talent albeit one on the bubble). That means picks in this range are especially valuable and rarely go for just cash alone.

Heck, here's what the #34 pick went for just last year:

June 21, 2018: Atlanta Hawks to Charlotte Hornets[13]
Charlotte acquired Atlanta's second round pick (#34)
Atlanta acquired Charlotte's 2019 and 2023 second round selections

And #37 last year:
June 21, 2018: Sacramento Kings to Portland Trail Blazers[29]
Portland acquired Sacramento's second round pick (#37)
Sacramento acquired two future second round selections and cash considerations

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_NBA_draft

Whatever the case used to be in the old days, high second-round picks are more valuable under the new CBA and aren't just given away for money anymore. I think if the Heat overpaid, it was only slightly.


Great point. That actually was my point as well. The Heat acquired essentially a first round pick and gave up 3 second round picks that likely won’t be anywhere near the same value.
Banner holder in 2018.
ATL GT Banner Holder per Enso
Image
User avatar
twix2500
RealGM
Posts: 15,743
And1: 11,017
Joined: Dec 25, 2003
   

Re: New incoming, hopefully, Okpala 

Post#34 » by twix2500 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:29 am

We really arguing 2nd round picks.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
User avatar
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 18,099
And1: 45,050
Joined: Jan 03, 2006
Location: Lottery land
       

Re: New incoming, hopefully, Okpala 

Post#35 » by DayofMourning » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:46 am

twix2500 wrote:We really arguing 2nd round picks.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk


What's your opinion of KZ?
Image

R.I.P. magnumt....
User avatar
twix2500
RealGM
Posts: 15,743
And1: 11,017
Joined: Dec 25, 2003
   

Re: New incoming, hopefully, Okpala 

Post#36 » by twix2500 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:31 pm

DayofMourning wrote:
twix2500 wrote:We really arguing 2nd round picks.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk


What's your opinion of KZ?
I like him, I think he has a lot of tools just needs to be coached up. Put him in our minor leagues for a few years and see what develops. Don't expect nothing right away. Now that we have him on a second round contract there is no rush.

My comment about 2nd round picks is this. 2nd rounders in the NBA is not treated like the first round. You dont not say a 35 pick is worth a 2 picks in the 50s etc. There are a lot of agent negotiating going on when a player slips to the second round. A lot of it is treated like UDFA, some players/agents ask not to be drafted because they want to go to a certain team who lacks depth. A lot of teams sell the pick because they have depth or feel they have maxed out on the amt of players they want to commit to focus on developing. G-league has really change things also. And there is a lot more into it. But the idea that you can easily buy a pick has really change the value of just having a pick that you don't know where it will fall. The Heat seen a player that they wanted and went after him instead of settling for what was available. Obviously they have a plan for Okpala. The Heat have a loaded roster so I knew they were not gonna get much in UDFAs.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
User avatar
RexBoyWonder
RealGM
Posts: 13,098
And1: 22,529
Joined: Mar 03, 2011

Re: New incoming, hopefully, Okpala 

Post#37 » by RexBoyWonder » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:39 pm

The kid put up 17 and 6, I really don't get why some of you are so quick to send him to Skyforce.

He's got great tools, and it's not like we're contending.

Give him minutes right away, he's not as raw as you make him out to be.
Chalm Downs wrote:his nickname is boywonder ffs
User avatar
Spacely
Pro Prospect
Posts: 964
And1: 1,797
Joined: Nov 05, 2016
 

Re: New incoming, hopefully, Okpala 

Post#38 » by Spacely » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:37 pm

RexBoyWonder wrote:The kid put up 17 and 6, I really don't get why some of you are so quick to send him to Skyforce.

He's got great tools, and it's not like we're contending.

Give him minutes right away, he's not as raw as you make him out to be.


Heat we’re gonna draft him at 13 if Herro wasn’t there, I’m pretty sure he’s more than ready to log some minutes.

If we drafted KPJ who averages 9 points would people still be saying put him in the g-league?
User avatar
twix2500
RealGM
Posts: 15,743
And1: 11,017
Joined: Dec 25, 2003
   

Re: New incoming, hopefully, Okpala 

Post#39 » by twix2500 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:50 pm

RexBoyWonder wrote:The kid put up 17 and 6, I really don't get why some of you are so quick to send him to Skyforce.

He's got great tools, and it's not like we're contending.

Give him minutes right away, he's not as raw as you make him out to be.


Unless the Heat make room, there is not a lot of minutes for him. G-League is not a demotion, its to get him minutes. He does need to get coached up on fundamentals.
User avatar
Dr_Heat
RealGM
Posts: 17,824
And1: 84,409
Joined: Feb 27, 2015
Location: Bustelo coffee bar
         

Re: New incoming, hopefully, Okpala 

Post#40 » by Dr_Heat » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:10 pm

Give KZ a chance , putting him straight to into a game and let him see what an nba game is.
Dr_Heat wrote:lifelong Tyler Herro fan checking in

Return to Miami Heat