ImageImageImage

Pat Riley

Moderators: KingDavid, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside

BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,197

Re: Pat Riley 

Post#61 » by BBallFreak » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:43 pm

contract wrote:
BBallFreak wrote:
DayofMourning wrote:
My god, if we had signed Gordan Hayward.....hoo boy. Thirty million for Hayward...that's the new NBA. Don't need none of that.

Amazing that Dion had the half year of his life, and effectively buried a franchise ripe to be exploited. Timing is everything.
Exactly my point. Riley would be skewered on this board has he signed Hayward and a similar result occurred. Conversely, had Waiters continued his strong play, Riley would look like a genius.

It's just silly to so blatantly toss away all the amazing things he's done for this franchise simply because Wade got old.

Of all the times we've seen ups and downs with this franchise under Riley (and I've seen them all) and all the times people have wanted to replace him (trust me, this thread isn't the first one) no one has EVER come up with...

Wait for it...

A SUITABLE REPLACEMENT!

You guys are so quick to dump the best thing to ever happen to this franchise, but you have no post Riley plan. Trust me, you're going to miss him when he's gone...

That's not our job. There are people to make those decisions.

Such a cop out!

Those calling for his head should be willing to suggest a replacement. If you can fire Pat Freaking Riley, surely you know enough to replace him. I don't think some of you understand how much of a setback that would be to the franchise. We are a premier franchise in this league - always a threat to make noise in free agency and trades - because of Pat Riley. You fire that and what are we? We're the damn Atlanta Hawks. Does anyone think Atlanta is going to have a prayer of attracting a big-time free agent in this century? I don't.

So I'm telling you now; if you want Riley gone, be prepared because it's going to be a crappy couple of decades for this team.

Caveat Emptor...
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 79,612

Post#62 » by DayofMourning » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:52 pm

Really though, how many years does Riley have left? He's not exactly a spring chicken.
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#63 » by BBallFreak » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:56 pm

DayofMourning wrote:Really though, how many years does Riley have left? He's not exactly a spring chicken.

I agree, but you let him go out gracefully, pick his own replacement, and stay a visible part of the franchise. He brings a lot of gravitas to this team. You don't just toss it out the window.
Hallstar
Head Coach
And1: 6,788

Post#64 » by Hallstar » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:10 pm

So now it's he picks his own replacement? Man come on
Dr_Heat
RealGM
And1: 96,866

Post#65 » by Dr_Heat » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:40 pm

Great things must come to an end somehow , Riley won’t be here forever no matter if he wants to stay here. Age will not let him stay in that position forever. Start finding a replacement, maybe have Riley shadow him or her around to give advise.
Dr_Heat wrote: Oof
RexBoyWonder
RealGM
And1: 33,405

Post#66 » by RexBoyWonder » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:57 pm

Dr_Heat wrote:Great things must come to an end somehow , Riley won’t be here forever no matter if he wants to stay here. Age will not let him stay in that position forever. Start finding a replacement, maybe have Riley shadow him or her around to give advise.

I think it's already happening.

Chalm Downs wrote:his nickname is boywonder ffs
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 79,612

Post#67 » by DayofMourning » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:14 pm

RexBoyWonder wrote:
Dr_Heat wrote:Great things must come to an end somehow , Riley won’t be here forever no matter if he wants to stay here. Age will not let him stay in that position forever. Start finding a replacement, maybe have Riley shadow him or her around to give advise.

This is a pretty solid guess tbh.
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#68 » by BBallFreak » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:45 pm

Hallstar wrote:So now it's he picks his own replacement? Man come on

Of course! You don't think he's earned that with this team? How many more division banners do we need to hang up? How many more conference championship banners? NBA Champion banners? What more should he have to accomplish before he's earned the right to go out on his own terms?
Heat_team02
RealGM
And1: 2,895

Post#69 » by Heat_team02 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:57 pm

BBallFreak wrote:
contract wrote:
BBallFreak wrote:Exactly my point. Riley would be skewered on this board has he signed Hayward and a similar result occurred. Conversely, had Waiters continued his strong play, Riley would look like a genius.

It's just silly to so blatantly toss away all the amazing things he's done for this franchise simply because Wade got old.

Of all the times we've seen ups and downs with this franchise under Riley (and I've seen them all) and all the times people have wanted to replace him (trust me, this thread isn't the first one) no one has EVER come up with...

Wait for it...

A SUITABLE REPLACEMENT!

You guys are so quick to dump the best thing to ever happen to this franchise, but you have no post Riley plan. Trust me, you're going to miss him when he's gone...

That's not our job. There are people to make those decisions.

Such a cop out!

Those calling for his head should be willing to suggest a replacement. If you can fire Pat Freaking Riley, surely you know enough to replace him. I don't think some of you understand how much of a setback that would be to the franchise. We are a premier franchise in this league - always a threat to make noise in free agency and trades - because of Pat Riley. You fire that and what are we? We're the damn Atlanta Hawks. Does anyone think Atlanta is going to have a prayer of attracting a big-time free agent in this century? I don't.

So I'm telling you now; if you want Riley gone, be prepared because it's going to be a crappy couple of decades for this team.

Caveat Emptor...

What's Danny Ferry doing these days?
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#70 » by BBallFreak » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:02 pm

Heat_team02 wrote:
BBallFreak wrote:
contract wrote:That's not our job. There are people to make those decisions.

Such a cop out!

Caveat Emptor...

What's Danny Ferry doing these days?

Banning Luol Deng from his country club.
Heat_team02
RealGM

Post#71 » by Heat_team02 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:12 pm

Danny Ferry 'still in the running' for Wizards GM job

https://thefandc.radio.com/ted-leonsis-danny-ferry-still-running-wizards-gm-job
HeatIn5
General Manager
And1: 18,357

Post#72 » by HeatIn5 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:36 pm

DayofMourning wrote:
RexBoyWonder wrote:

yea im almost positive the future of the front office will be a Shane Battier/Nick Arison split similar to the Pat Riley/Andy Elisburg split now
Read on Twitter
Hallstar
Head Coach
And1: 6,788

Post#73 » by Hallstar » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:04 pm

BBallFreak wrote:

Of course! You don't think he's earned that with this team? How many more division banners do we need to hang up? How many more conference championship banners? NBA Champion banners? What more should he have to accomplish before he's earned the right to go out on his own terms?

He's old, I can stomach letting it play out, but if you're advocating installing some Riley acolyte, then that I can't abide. If we're going forward with these 1990's methods we're in deeper trouble than I thought.

The 2003 draft completely changed everything about perceptions.
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#74 » by BBallFreak » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:25 pm

Hallstar wrote:
BBallFreak wrote:

He's old, I can stomach letting it play out, but if you're advocating installing some Riley acolyte, then that I can't abide. If we're going forward with these 1990's methods we're in deeper trouble than I thought.

The 2003 draft completely changed everything about perceptions.

:roll:

You realize "old" Riley is the perfector of all this new crap, right? This is the guy who enabled pace and space, which became positionless basketball. He's the guy who acquired all the talent and let Spo do what he wanted with it. He didn't force 90's ball on Spo in the Big 3 era, and he's not doing it now. Whoever he picks will have his own ideas on how to run things. They'll be a student of the game. I'm not expecting a Riley clone, just a guy who knows what the hell he's doing...
contract
RealGM
And1: 20,736

Post#75 » by contract » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:49 pm

BBallFreak wrote:Such a cop out!

Those calling for his head should be willing to suggest a replacement. If you can fire Pat Freaking Riley, surely you know enough to replace him.

I obviously can't fire Pat Riley. I also can't hire his replacement. And no, fans don't need to have a better plan, or any plan, in order to determine that the status quo is inadequate.

BBallFreak wrote:I don't think some of you understand how much of a setback that would be to the franchise. We are a premier franchise in this league - always a threat to make noise in free agency and trades - because of Pat Riley. You fire that and what are we? We're the damn Atlanta Hawks. Does anyone think Atlanta is going to have a prayer of attracting a big-time free agent in this century? I don't.

Caveat Emptor...

What were we when we replace our legendary head coach with some guy named Erik Spoelstra? Who would ever want to play for him? No one is indispensable.
:meditate: Team Small Ball :meditate:
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#76 » by BBallFreak » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:56 pm

contract wrote:
BBallFreak wrote:Such a cop out!

Those calling for his head should be willing to suggest a replacement. If you can fire Pat Freaking Riley, surely you know enough to replace him.

I obviously can't fire Pat Riley. I also can't hire his replacement. And no, fans don't need to have a better plan, or any plan, in order to determine that the status quo is inadequate.

Sure they do. You can't advocate firing the best thing ever to happen to the franchise (and that's not arguable) and not have some other plan in mind. Sorry, but I fully reject that premise.

BBallFreak wrote:What were we when we replace our legendary head coach with some guy named Erik Spoelstra? Who would ever want to play for him? No one is indispensable.

Poor choice for a hit-back.

Pat Riley was still here and got players to buy in. LBJ tried to replace him, as we now know, but Riley was having none of it and got James to buy in. THAT'S the point. You have no idea how much cache a legend like Riley holds...
heatwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 13,105

Post#77 » by heatwillbeback » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:08 am

Riley has been fantastic for many years. But he is set in his ways, and I don't know if Riley can continue with that going forward.

Tonight is a night when foreign players won MVP, ROY, DPOY, MIP. And Riley refuses to draft and develop foreign players. Hopefully he is paying attention.
delanka
Veteran
And1: 16,314

Post#78 » by delanka » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:54 am

JustiseForMiami wrote:
Spoiler:
DayofMourning wrote:
RexBoyWonder wrote:I think it's already happening.

yea im almost positive the future of the front office will be a Shane Battier/Nick Arison split similar to the Pat Riley/Andy Elisburg split now

I like Shane Battier & Nick Arison combination rather than Pat Riley and Andy Elisburg.

Heat_team02
RealGM

Post#79 » by Heat_team02 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:17 pm

Wayne Ellington (Miami)
25 Games 21.3mpg 8.4pts 37%Fg 41% 2pts 36% 3PT
Wayne Ellington (Detroit)
28 Games 27.3mpg 12pts 42%Fg 61% 2pts 37% 3PT

With the exception of FG%, Tyler Johnson's numbers also went up after switching teams.- became an 87% FT shooter.

Mashburn
https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/mashbja01.html
Ricky Davis
https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/d/davisri01.html
Kobewade11
General Manager
And1: 15,632

Post#80 » by Kobewade11 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:32 pm

Heat_team02 wrote:Wayne Ellington (Miami)
25 Games 21.3mpg 8.4pts 37%Fg 41% 2pts 36% 3PT
Wayne Ellington (Detroit)
28 Games 27.3mpg 12pts 42%Fg 61% 2pts 37% 3PT

With the exception of FG%, Tyler Johnson's numbers also went up after switching teams.- became an 87% FT shooter.

Mashburn
https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/mashbja01.html
Ricky Davis
https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/d/davisri01.html

Detroit had less cooks in the ktichen and I believe Ellington was starting there. Not surprised about TJ, everybody puts up digits in Phoenix.

Return to Miami Heat