ImageImageImage

Nunn of you opend a KENDRICK NUNN thread?!

Moderators: KingDavid, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside

BFRESH44
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 10,820

Re: Nunn of you opend a KENDRICK NUNN thread?! 

Post#61 » by BFRESH44 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:54 pm

My2CentsR wrote:
BFRESH44 wrote:
My2CentsR wrote: He abused his girlfriend.

If you think you’re gonna spam this forum with this, you’ve got another thing coming.

Stop it.

I honestly don't understand what I did wrong here--was it that I responded twice because I made a grammar update? I was a student at UofI and followed Illini basketball -- it was a big deal to the student body and fans that a student player pleaded guilty to misdemeanor domestic battery and was dismissed from the basketball team. As a wife, a mother, and a daughter whose mother was a victim of domestic violence I think it is no less important to discuss player violence toward women than it is to talk about his stats when discussing the value of a player. As I did above in response to another poster, I'm providing two sources to back up my claim of validity. I will soon get off my soap box, but I'd like you to remember that not only men, but also women and children look up to these players. Just because I'm a Bulls fan doesn't mean I'm not a fan of other teams or that any response on other boards is meant to be spam.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/15704152/illinois-fighting-illini-dismiss-kendrick-nunn-basketball-team

What your doing is derailing discussion. Certainly not defending the actions of Nunn during that domestic incident, but he paid his debts for that well documented domestic incident at 19, and deserves the very second chance he’s earned to make a nice career out of himself. The post you quoted had absolutely NOTHING to do with that particular topic, yet you chose to go there because you want do the angry mob thing on this forum. Na.

And no one should be “looking up” to professional athletes. They are just regular and flawed human beings just like any other person. They just so happen to be really good at putting a round orange ball in the basket.
My2CentsR
Senior
And1: 303

Post#62 » by My2CentsR » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:13 pm

BFRESH44 wrote:
My2CentsR wrote:
BFRESH44 wrote:

If you think you’re gonna spam this forum with this, you’ve got another thing coming.

Stop it.

I honestly don't understand what I did wrong here--was it that I responded twice because I made a grammar update? I was a student at UofI and followed Illini basketball -- it was a big deal to the student body and fans that a student player pleaded guilty to misdemeanor domestic battery and was dismissed from the basketball team. As a wife, a mother, and a daughter whose mother was a victim of domestic violence I think it is no less important to discuss player violence toward women than it is to talk about his stats when discussing the value of a player. As I did above in response to another poster, I'm providing two sources to back up my claim of validity. I will soon get off my soap box, but I'd like you to remember that not only men, but also women and children look up to these players. Just because I'm a Bulls fan doesn't mean I'm not a fan of other teams or that any response on other boards is meant to be spam.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/15704152/illinois-fighting-illini-dismiss-kendrick-nunn-basketball-team

What your doing is derailing discussion. Certainly not defending the actions of Nunn during that domestic incident, but he paid his debts for that well documented domestic incident at 19, and deserves the very second chance he’s earned to make a nice career out of himself. The post you quoted had absolutely NOTHING to do with that particular topic, yet you chose to go there because you want do the angry mob thing on this forum. Na.

And no one should be “looking up” to professional athletes. They are just regular and flawed human beings just like any other person. They just so happen to be really good at putting a round orange ball in the basket.

I don't understand how responding to someone who says how he/she likes how poised Nunn was in the NBA and college has derailed a conversation. The title of the threat was "Nunn of you opened a Kendrick Nunn thread?", not Nunn performed very well at tonight's game or something else more specific. Therefore responding to someone's comment on his poise seems completely appropriate. Hitting a woman on the head and pouring hot water on her at 19 is not the same as doing it at 5. I actually agree with you that he absolutely deserves a chance to work, but I don't think he should be representing a city at the most elite level of basketball. I don't want an angry mob at all, but it's frustrating that no one mentions what I believe is a vital part of his past, especially in the media where luckily topics of violence among professional athletes have finally become a bigger deal.

And I don't understand how you can say kids shouldn't look up to professional athletes with a straight face. That's probably the single group of people kids look up to more than anyone. I barely spoke about Kawhi Leonard during last year's playoffs and rooted for GS, yet my 5 year old kept talking my ear off about how cool Kawhi was--totally normal behavior of a little boy.
BFRESH44
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 10,820

Post#63 » by BFRESH44 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:34 pm

My2CentsR wrote:
BFRESH44 wrote:
My2CentsR wrote:

I don't understand how responding to someone who says how he/she likes how poised Nunn was in the NBA and college has derailed a conversation. The title of the threat was "Nunn of you opened a Kendrick Nunn thread?", not Nunn performed very well at tonight's game or something else more specific. Therefore responding to someone's comment on his poise seems completely appropriate. Hitting a woman on the head and pouring hot water on her at 19 is not the same as doing it at 5. I actually agree with you that he absolutely deserves a chance to work, but I don't think he should be representing a city at the most elite level of basketball. I don't want an angry mob at all, but it's frustrating that no one mentions what I believe is a vital part of his past, especially in the media where luckily topics of violence among professional athletes have finally become a bigger deal.

And I don't understand how you can say kids shouldn't look up to professional athletes with a straight face. That's probably the single group of people kids look up to more than anyone. I barely spoke about Kawhi Leonard during last year's playoffs and rooted for GS, yet my 5 year old kept talking my ear off about how cool Kawhi was--totally normal behavior of a little boy.

No it was not appropriate. Not at that particular time. And people have mentioned it. I've read about it and did research on it. He got an in argument with his then girlfriend at the time, about some money being owed to him, and it got heated and he reacted horribly. It's apart of his past, and it's a major part of why he went undrafted. And honestly, with all due respect, who cares what you think he should or should not be representing? I'm sorry, but you don't get to make that call. He has no direct impact on your life. Pack it up.

There's much more corrupt individuals in bigger positions than Kendrick Nunn lol, who have done much more heinous acts in their lives. One being the current sitting President of the United States.

And my stance on professional athletes stands. They are not casted out to be role models. They are not public officials. They provide entertainment with their skills. If one so happens to choose to use their platform for great causes, then that's great too. But they are not entitled to due such either.

And that's going to be my final say on that. Please do not derail the discussion on this forum.
My2CentsR
Senior
And1: 303

Post#64 » by My2CentsR » Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:07 pm

BFRESH44 wrote:
My2CentsR wrote:
BFRESH44 wrote:

No it was not appropriate. Not at that particular time. And people have mentioned it. I've read about it and did research on it. He got an in argument with his then girlfriend at the time, about some money being owed to him, and it got heated and he reacted horribly. It's apart of his past, and it's a major part of why he went undrafted. And honestly, with all due respect, who cares what you think he should or should not be representing? I'm sorry, but you don't get to make that call. He has no direct impact on your life. Pack it up.

There's much more corrupt individuals in bigger positions than Kendrick Nunn lol, who have done much more heinous acts in their lives. One being the current sitting President of the United States.

And my stance on professional athletes stands. They are not casted out to be role models. They are not public officials. They provide entertainment with their skills. If one so happens to choose to use their platform for great causes, then that's great too. But they are not entitled to due such either.

And that's going to be my final say on that. Please do not derail the discussion on this forum.

Fine, agree to disagree. The sitting president has indeed also conducted himself very poorly, and I have strong opinions about both. I post them on opinion boards such as this.

Return to Miami Heat