JustiseForMiami wrote:Just went back and watched a bunch of film today -
We're in a great spot because we have young talent, but I think we have 3 serious needs on the horizon -
1. A backup PG (assuming we either don't resign Goran or only sign him to a 1 year deal, we have a history when we have big money teams of getting young cheap PGs - Alston, Chalmers, Cole, Napier, Nunn and Im surely missing some)
2. A complimentary big to Bam - If we are getting Giannis/AD or a big fish, this may not be as big of a need. If we are getting Beal/Dipo, this is VITAL in our serious contention. Meyers and Kelly are not going to cut it when things get serious. We seriously need to upgrade here.
3. 3&D Wings - Crazy to think that with the team we had this year but there is a chance we lose Crowder, Iggy, and DJJ. even if we lose 2 out of 3 and KZ steps up a bit, I think you still need another guy.
here are my current top 10 rankings for us (players in our range) on 6/21 with now 4 months till the draft -
1. Nico Mannion, PG, Arizona
2. Jalen Smith, F/C, Maryland
3. Kira Lewis, PG, Alabama
4. Jahmi'us Ramsey, PG, Texas Tech
5. Vernon Carey, F/C, Duke
6. Cassius Winston, PG, Michigan State
7. Saddiq Bey, F, Villanova
8. Grant Riller, PG, Charleston
9. Patrick Williams, F, Florida State
10. Aleksej Pokusevski, F/C, Serbia
What were you thoughts on Riller?
I like him a lot. I saw him during the season against UCF (watching film reminded me). He gives me serious FVV vibes but I think that may just be looks.
With that being said, I think that Mannion, Lewis, Ramsey and Winston are all better than him in our range.
Ramsey and Winston are better shooters (Ramsey's 42% from 3 is wild - I wonder if that is translatable because he does have a slightly funky form but if he can play that off ball PG roll for us I think he is a good offensive fit).
Mannion seems to have more of an "NBA game" and would become a fan favorite. I could see him moving below Kira Lewis for me because I think Mannion would be redundant with Herro (even though they are a 1 and 2) and while Herro is not a bad defender, the 2 of them could be a disaster against big lineups. Mannion is 1 for the simple fact that, like Herro, he is a walking bucket.
Kira Lewis though - WOW. That kid jumped off the page for me. I fully expect myself to move him to #1 on my board at some point. I just fall in love with that kid when I watch them. 2 big games stuck out to me - vs Anthony Edwards with both teams struggling (Kira had 37 and 7) and then against #4 Auburn where he takes over. He is lightning fast, plays D, has a pretty stroke that can improve, and controls the game. I can't help but think if we had a predraft process he would be such a hot name. Reminds me of a slightly less bouncy Ja/Fox or even a smaller more athletic SGA. He's the guy we should be looking at if PG is the option.
This draft has a TON of backup PG options. So while I do like Riller, he gets lost in the pack for me.