ImageImageImage

2020 NBA Draft - We have a FRP!....for now

Moderators: KingDavid, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside

DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 79,736

Re: 2020 NBA Draft - We have a FRP!....for now 

Post#261 » by DayofMourning » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:21 am

Getting fully on board with Carey. South Florida native. He's gotta be a Heat fan, right? Two years in a row we nab a Heat fan in the draft?
Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 71,843

Post#262 » by Wiltside » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:15 am

DayofMourning wrote:Getting fully on board with Carey. South Florida native. He's gotta be a Heat fan, right? Two years in a row we nab a Heat fan in the draft?

Yeah, I’m coming around on this one. I’m not 100% sure why he’s slipping, but it seems it has more to do with defensive question marks and “old school game”.

He seems to have a really high skill level though. Stroke looks solid. He’s giving me Marvin Bagley vibes for some reason. Not as thin, perhaps a little more interior focused rather than the midrange, face up game. But he’s my comparison at present.

Speaking of which, I wonder what it would take to try nab Bagley from the Kings. They don’t seem totally sold on him.
Formerly BG44, MB30 and Wade County at BasketballForum.com
gom
Heat forum: Expert Predictor
And1: 42,453

Post#263 » by gom » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:50 am

Wiltside wrote:
DayofMourning wrote:Getting fully on board with Carey. South Florida native. He's gotta be a Heat fan, right? Two years in a row we nab a Heat fan in the draft?

Yeah, I’m coming around on this one. I’m not 100% sure why he’s slipping, but it seems it has more to do with defensive question marks and “old school game”.

He seems to have a really high skill level though. Stroke looks solid. He’s giving me Marvin Bagley vibes for some reason. Not as thin, perhaps a little more interior focused rather than the midrange, face up game. But he’s my comparison at present.

Speaking of which, I wonder what it would take to try nab Bagley from the Kings. They don’t seem totally sold on him.

People are sleeping on Carey but they'll wake up by the draft. We might still get him at #23. I love how he picks off those passes. The kid looks smart on defense. A year or two with Spo, Mourning, & UD and he's going to look a lot better too.

I like Quickley in the second round. We'd have to buy in again.

As for the Kings, Vlade drafted Bagley ahead of Luka. He will not trade him for filler and a late pick. KIngs fans will want his head, and... well Kings aren't going to reset again. I think Bagley walks in 2022. Kings won't be able to pay much to extend him. Look what they did with Hield though.

You know who is a free agent on the Kings this summer? Harry Giles. They turned down his option. He can be poached. We have Bam though.
I remember 11-30 with these guys. ^
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#264 » by DayofMourning » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:41 pm

gom wrote:
Wiltside wrote:

People are sleeping on Carey but they'll wake up by the draft. We might still get him at #23. I love how he picks off those passes. The kid looks smart on defense. A year or two with Spo, Mourning, & UD and he's going to look a lot better too.

I like Quickley in the second round. We'd have to buy in again.

As for the Kings, Vlade drafted Bagley ahead of Luka. He will not trade him for filler and a late pick. KIngs fans will want his head, and... well Kings aren't going to reset again. I think Bagley walks in 2022. Kings won't be able to pay much to extend him. Look what they did with Hield though.

You know who is a free agent on the Kings this summer? Harry Giles. They turned down his option. He can be poached. We have Bam though.

Once he works out, he'll have team's attention. He can do a lot. I wonder if we make a slight move up to get the guy we want. A few spots maybe. I know there will be a good collection of guys we want, but last year made it obvious Bam needed rebounding help and interior defense help. I'd say we've got a few guys who could be in the 20s range that we will like, but if they start getting picked we might get antsy enough to make a move.

As for buying in to the 2nd round again, do you think we will buy in two years in a row? It feels like we rarely make splashes on draft day, other than moving out. Last year was a surprise to me, and most of us I think. Think Quickley is sexy enough to warrant buying in on? We do have Nunn and Vincent in that type of role already.
dolphinatik
Head Coach
And1: 4,154

Post#265 » by dolphinatik » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:59 pm

nbadraftnet has us taking Jahmius Ramsey and im not mad at that at all. If he can develop his shot looks like he has elite hops and d quick hands wonder what his measurements are.

Carey looks big in his highlights resembles Embid, can he shoot? I dont see him falling to us though.
1. Herro 2. Bol Bol 3. Seko 4. Bruno
unless we trade up for Barrett or trade down for PJ Washington
greg4012
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,770

Post#266 » by greg4012 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:49 pm

Carey's game and role in the NBA is reminiscent of Domantas Sabonis IMO. Just a well rounded skilled big with strength that has passable mobility but it isn't a strength for defensive versatility.
HeatIn5
General Manager
And1: 18,357

Post#267 » by HeatIn5 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:28 pm

Read on Twitter
greg4012
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,770

Post#268 » by greg4012 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:23 pm

Definitely a fan of Kira Lewis. He's lightning with the ball in his hands. Reminiscent of De'Aaron Fox but less explosive and isn't the same finisher around the rim.

We could really use his skills to mold for a post-Dragic era. A guy who can get in the paint and breakdown the D, while also still being serviceable spreading the floor. Plus I see him as a point of attack perimeter defender that we are currently lacking from our guard rotation.

I can see him becoming a Dennis Schroder type at the next level.
twix2500
RealGM
And1: 22,214

Post#269 » by twix2500 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:42 pm

Players I'm am feeling so far are
Nico Minnion - I think he is way out of range for the Heat but I see many on here talk about him.
Jaden McDaniel - same as Nico.
Kira Lewis - i think he is also out of range but wouldnt be shocked if he is available.

Immanuel Quickley - I think he will be available and I think Riley will have the urge. Good size and skills, just need to prove can he run the point.

Leandro Bolmaro - size and skill. I'm intrigue on what he tries to do, he just needs to learn how to apply it successfully.
CJ Elleby - good size, good touch and effects the game in a lot of categories. Knows how to play period. I think he may have more abilities than he has shown. Can contribute early.
Grant Riller - Baller! I think he will be productive out the door.
Payton Prichard - Gamer. Stroke looks elite. Mature experienced, decent size.
Udoka Azubuike - too much physical talent to not be intrigued. Deandre Jordan
RJ Hampton - is a player I think will fall and be available to the Heat as a long term project.
Jay Scrubbs - another talented project
Nick Richards - a running big with Kentucky connections
Jordan Nwora - Nwora!!!!!!!
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#270 » by DayofMourning » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:25 pm

Anybody fond of Tre Jones?
Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 71,843

Post#271 » by Wiltside » Wed Jul 1, 2020 12:21 am

DayofMourning wrote:Anybody fond of Tre Jones?

Meh, not particularly. He’s solid, but I don’t see anything special. I’d rather we take the punt elsewhere and pick up a veteran backup PG tbh (eg bring back Shabazz).

Sabonis was a decent shout in the Carey comparisons. I can see the resemblance in the inside play.

I wouldn’t mind seeing us jump a little to look at Precious Achiuwa. He looks like he has a lot of the tools I’d like in an NBA big. Would probably like to see that stroke develop a little more though for a long term Bam pairing. Not sure how realistic it is though, his draft ranking is currently:

#17 on Tankathon
#12 on NBADraft.net
#13 on NBADraftroon
#11 on NBC

So yeah, probably not.
Formerly BG44, MB30 and Wade County at BasketballForum.com
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#272 » by DayofMourning » Wed Jul 1, 2020 12:57 am

Wiltside wrote:

Meh, not particularly. He’s solid, but I don’t see anything special. I’d rather we take the punt elsewhere and pick up a veteran backup PG tbh (eg bring back Shabazz).

Sabonis was a decent shout in the Carey comparisons. I can see the resemblance in the inside play.

I wouldn’t mind seeing us jump a little to look at Precious Achiuwa. He looks like he has a lot of the tools I’d like in an NBA big. Would probably like to see that stroke develop a little more though for a long term Bam pairing. Not sure how realistic it is though, his draft ranking is currently:

#17 on Tankathon
#12 on NBADraft.net
#13 on NBADraftroon
#11 on NBC

So yeah, probably not.

Just got to tank it out broseph. 8-)

I haven't kept up with him at all tbh. I was sold on him being fairly low IQ, and that's pretty much the nail in the coffin for me.

For some reason, he feels like he could be the lord of the rings for us. Wouldn't sneeze at his potential.
twix2500
RealGM

Post#273 » by twix2500 » Wed Jul 1, 2020 1:20 am

Wiltside wrote:

#17 on Tankathon
#12 on NBADraft.net
#13 on NBADraftroon
#11 on NBC

So yeah, probably not.
I would also look to jump up if I was the Heat and use Kelly Olynyk and pick as bait.

I think Tre is a NBA quality player. But I think he will be a backup journeyman.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#274 » by DayofMourning » Wed Jul 1, 2020 2:07 am

That lineups mock got me shook a bit with my favored big men. They've got Nnaji, Vernon, and Jalen going a few spots ahead of us. They do have us taking Aleksej Alphabet, but he needs HGH before he's ready to play and that may take a while before hes strong enough to be an NBA player.
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#275 » by DayofMourning » Wed Jul 1, 2020 7:38 pm

Only 3 and a half months till the draft!

HeatIn5
General Manager
And1: 18,357

Post#276 » by HeatIn5 » Thu Jul 2, 2020 1:43 am

For some reason I can't get passed the possibilities of a Bam/Jalen Smith frontcourt

So long

Watch the play at 1:20 - That's our exact play that we run often

Read on Twitter
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#277 » by DayofMourning » Thu Jul 2, 2020 1:58 am

HerroBalls wrote:For some reason I can't get passed the possibilities of a Bam/Jalen Smith frontcourt

So long

He'd be a great fit here. My biggest issue is that we could be a handful of picks away from getting our guy. We could realistically miss out on every quality big man who would fit if we stay at 23. Might be able to have pick of the litter if we were at 15 instead.
twix2500
RealGM

Post#278 » by twix2500 » Thu Jul 2, 2020 8:44 pm

HerroBalls wrote:For some reason I can't get passed the possibilities of a Bam/Jalen Smith frontcourt

So long

Is he big enough? I like his style of play but he looks very undersize. I know they list him as 6'10, but he looks 6'9 or 6'8 ish at the most and 110 pounds. Bruno Fernando is 6'9 and Smith doesnt look taller than Fernando when they played next to each other. And at least Fernando is big enough in girth to complement his lack of height. If he is 6'10, I will so go for it and beef him up.
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#279 » by DayofMourning » Fri Jul 3, 2020 12:35 am

Jalen looks like he's got him by an inch.

I'm in agreement though. Jalen is listed as 6'10" and 225 pounds. If he's 6'9.75" and 220 pounds, I'm not interested in the slightest. You can't get those measurements back once you hit the hardwood.
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#280 » by DayofMourning » Fri Jul 3, 2020 12:54 am

New look for one of my go to sites:

https://nbadraftroom.com/p/2020-nba-mock-draft/

Return to Miami Heat