ImageImageImage

2020 NBA Draft - We have a FRP!....for now

Moderators: Wiltside, BFRESH44, MettaWorldPanda, heat4life, IggieCC

User avatar
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 20,204
And1: 50,729
Joined: Jan 03, 2006
       

Re: 2020 NBA Draft - We have a FRP!....for now 

Post#281 » by DayofMourning » Fri Jul 3, 2020 12:59 am

There's no love lost between Riley and Ainge, but the Celtics have 3 first round picks in this draft (currently slotted at 17, 26, and 30) and one could assume that the Celtics might be willing to make a move or two.

The Celtics have a pretty full roster (https://www.spotrac.com/nba/boston-celtics/cap/2020/) and I'd think that adding 3 more 1st rounders in the lower half of the first round wouldn't make a ton of sense.

As I've stated before, I'd hate to miss out on one of the quality bigs projected to go middle of the round or later. Could Boston be a team willing to move 17?
Image

Your 2020 Dunk Contest Champion-Derrick Jones Jr!
User avatar
Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
Posts: 8,576
And1: 34,651
Joined: Sep 16, 2016

Re: 2020 NBA Draft - We have a FRP!....for now 

Post#282 » by Wiltside » Fri Jul 3, 2020 5:13 am

DayofMourning wrote:There's no love lost between Riley and Ainge, but the Celtics have 3 first round picks in this draft (currently slotted at 17, 26, and 30) and one could assume that the Celtics might be willing to make a move or two.

The Celtics have a pretty full roster (https://www.spotrac.com/nba/boston-celtics/cap/2020/) and I'd think that adding 3 more 1st rounders in the lower half of the first round wouldn't make a ton of sense.

As I've stated before, I'd hate to miss out on one of the quality bigs projected to go middle of the round or later. Could Boston be a team willing to move 17?


The tough one with Boston is their needs are probably pretty similar to ours.

My gut says they may even use 17 and 26 to move up to 12 or something to ensure they get the guy they want. I could see someone like Sacramento seeing that as a reasonable deal.

Based on Boston's roster construction, it seems pretty likely their pick will be a big.

It seems like they'll probably move forward with:

Kemba
Brown
Hayward
Tatum
?

They may even try move up higher and include future picks or a young asset to get someone like Okongwu.
Formerly BG44, MB30 and Wade County at BasketballForum.com
User avatar
puppa bear
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,168
And1: 2,539
Joined: Jan 06, 2006
Location: Perth, Australia
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft - We have a FRP!....for now 

Post#283 » by puppa bear » Fri Jul 3, 2020 6:12 am

Wiltside wrote:
DayofMourning wrote:There's no love lost between Riley and Ainge, but the Celtics have 3 first round picks in this draft (currently slotted at 17, 26, and 30) and one could assume that the Celtics might be willing to make a move or two.

The Celtics have a pretty full roster (https://www.spotrac.com/nba/boston-celtics/cap/2020/) and I'd think that adding 3 more 1st rounders in the lower half of the first round wouldn't make a ton of sense.

As I've stated before, I'd hate to miss out on one of the quality bigs projected to go middle of the round or later. Could Boston be a team willing to move 17?


The tough one with Boston is their needs are probably pretty similar to ours.

My gut says they may even use 17 and 26 to move up to 12 or something to ensure they get the guy they want. I could see someone like Sacramento seeing that as a reasonable deal.

Based on Boston's roster construction, it seems pretty likely their pick will be a big.

It seems like they'll probably move forward with:

Kemba
Brown
Hayward
Tatum
?

They may even try move up higher and include future picks or a young asset to get someone like Okongwu.

I agree with Wilt about Celtics wanting to move rather than down, so the only way we deal with them is a 23 for 26+30 deal, to secure 2 player we like who slip.

I’m not sure Boston will want to include future considerations, with the upcoming drafts looking much better, they (& a few other teams) may be more likely to trade out of this draft for future picks.
User avatar
Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
Posts: 8,576
And1: 34,651
Joined: Sep 16, 2016

Re: 2020 NBA Draft - We have a FRP!....for now 

Post#284 » by Wiltside » Fri Jul 3, 2020 7:14 am

Just spit ballin', but hypothetically, if you wanted to move up in this draft and your offer was Kendrick Nunn and #23, how high would you get?
Formerly BG44, MB30 and Wade County at BasketballForum.com
User avatar
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 20,204
And1: 50,729
Joined: Jan 03, 2006
       

Re: 2020 NBA Draft - We have a FRP!....for now 

Post#285 » by DayofMourning » Fri Jul 3, 2020 11:03 am

Good stuff fellas. I agree. They'll likely consolidate if they can.
Image

Your 2020 Dunk Contest Champion-Derrick Jones Jr!
User avatar
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 20,204
And1: 50,729
Joined: Jan 03, 2006
       

Re: 2020 NBA Draft - We have a FRP!....for now 

Post#286 » by DayofMourning » Fri Jul 3, 2020 11:04 am

Wiltside wrote:Just spit ballin', but hypothetically, if you wanted to move up in this draft and your offer was Kendrick Nunn and #23, how high would you get?


What team ahead of us needs a guy like Nunn?
Image

Your 2020 Dunk Contest Champion-Derrick Jones Jr!
dolphinatik
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,770
And1: 2,077
Joined: Oct 20, 2008
     

Re: 2020 NBA Draft - We have a FRP!....for now 

Post#287 » by dolphinatik » Fri Jul 3, 2020 9:58 pm

Updating my picks for now.

Jahmi'us Ramsey, PG, Texas Tech
Patrick Williams, F, Florida State
Jordan Nwora

Ramsey has the bounce Heat covid. Williams is just a solid player that checks all the boxes if he slides dont be surprised we take him. James Posey in Lebrons body. .
1. Herro 2. Bol Bol 3. Seko 4. Bruno
unless we trade up for Barrett or trade down for PJ Washington
twix2500
RealGM
Posts: 16,393
And1: 11,686
Joined: Dec 25, 2003
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft - We have a FRP!....for now 

Post#288 » by twix2500 » Sat Jul 4, 2020 12:55 am

dolphinatik wrote:Updating my picks for now.

Jahmi'us Ramsey, PG, Texas Tech
Patrick Williams, F, Florida State
Jordan Nwora

Ramsey has the bounce Heat covid. Williams is just a solid player that checks all the boxes if he slides dont be surprised we take him. James Posey in Lebrons body. .


Image
User avatar
HerroBalls
Analyst
Posts: 3,195
And1: 6,739
Joined: Jul 02, 2015
       

Re: 2020 NBA Draft - We have a FRP!....for now 

Post#289 » by HerroBalls » Sat Jul 4, 2020 2:36 am

DayofMourning wrote:There's no love lost between Riley and Ainge, but the Celtics have 3 first round picks in this draft (currently slotted at 17, 26, and 30) and one could assume that the Celtics might be willing to make a move or two.

The Celtics have a pretty full roster (https://www.spotrac.com/nba/boston-celtics/cap/2020/) and I'd think that adding 3 more 1st rounders in the lower half of the first round wouldn't make a ton of sense.

As I've stated before, I'd hate to miss out on one of the quality bigs projected to go middle of the round or later. Could Boston be a team willing to move 17?



We have this conversation every year, and then we take the guy that none of us talked about that we didn't think made sense but actually made perfect sense and is a baller
Read on Twitter

Wiltside wrote:Can confirm Tyler Herro is, indeed, a bucket.

Chalm Downs wrote:Me too cute
User avatar
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 20,204
And1: 50,729
Joined: Jan 03, 2006
       

Re: 2020 NBA Draft - We have a FRP!....for now 

Post#290 » by DayofMourning » Mon Jul 6, 2020 1:43 am

My hunch as to which big men the Heat will have legit interest in within our range, and those that they won't:

Yays
Jalen Smith
Isaiah Stewart
Precious Achiuwa
Paul Reed
Daniel Oturu
Vernon Carey Jr

Nays
Aleksej Poku
Zeke Nnaji
Image

Your 2020 Dunk Contest Champion-Derrick Jones Jr!
User avatar
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 20,204
And1: 50,729
Joined: Jan 03, 2006
       

Re: 2020 NBA Draft - We have a FRP!....for now 

Post#291 » by DayofMourning » Mon Jul 6, 2020 1:57 am

Wonder about his smarts, but he is an interesting talent:

Image

Your 2020 Dunk Contest Champion-Derrick Jones Jr!
Feel_the_Heat15
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,952
And1: 3,236
Joined: Jun 22, 2015
       

Re: 2020 NBA Draft - We have a FRP!....for now 

Post#292 » by Feel_the_Heat15 » Mon Jul 6, 2020 7:25 pm

VCJ would be a great center off the bench.
User avatar
HerroBalls
Analyst
Posts: 3,195
And1: 6,739
Joined: Jul 02, 2015
       

Re: 2020 NBA Draft - We have a FRP!....for now 

Post#293 » by HerroBalls » Tue Jul 7, 2020 1:04 am

DayofMourning wrote:Wonder about his smarts, but he is an interesting talent:




I definitely like VCJ better, and would need extensive time watching him and Jalen Smith next to each other to see which I feel more comfortable with next to Bam.

We cannot run into another Bam/Whiteside situation, need to make sure they can play together




Read on Twitter

Wiltside wrote:Can confirm Tyler Herro is, indeed, a bucket.

Chalm Downs wrote:Me too cute
User avatar
HerroBalls
Analyst
Posts: 3,195
And1: 6,739
Joined: Jul 02, 2015
       

Re: 2020 NBA Draft - We have a FRP!....for now 

Post#294 » by HerroBalls » Tue Jul 7, 2020 1:20 am




The end of this video has his shooting - hmmm the mechanics aren't terrible.




Read on Twitter

Wiltside wrote:Can confirm Tyler Herro is, indeed, a bucket.

Chalm Downs wrote:Me too cute
User avatar
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 20,204
And1: 50,729
Joined: Jan 03, 2006
       

Re: 2020 NBA Draft - We have a FRP!....for now 

Post#295 » by DayofMourning » Tue Jul 7, 2020 1:20 am

HerroBalls wrote:
DayofMourning wrote:Wonder about his smarts, but he is an interesting talent:




I definitely like VCJ better, and would need extensive time watching him and Jalen Smith next to each other to see which I feel more comfortable with next to Bam.

We cannot run into another Bam/Whiteside situation, need to make sure they can play together


I've slowly been cycling and recycling through the center prospects, and Oturu definitely stands out. He's got it on both ends of the court. Some of the draftniks on this site really hype his defense. Whenever I listen to him interview, I'm not too impressed. He doesn't sound well versed, but again, I've read others state how he's got a very solid BBIQ.

At one point, he was mocked in the lottery. Not sure what happened, but he's got my attention. I feel better about some other prospects, but he's someone I wouldn't be too mad about. Wish we'd double dip at big tbh.
Image

Your 2020 Dunk Contest Champion-Derrick Jones Jr!
User avatar
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 20,204
And1: 50,729
Joined: Jan 03, 2006
       

Re: 2020 NBA Draft - We have a FRP!....for now 

Post#296 » by DayofMourning » Tue Jul 7, 2020 1:24 am

HerroBalls wrote:


The end of this video has his shooting - hmmm the mechanics aren't terrible.


Nope. Not at all.

He shows how he can score from all levels. Drives from the three point line. Three point shots. Inside contests. Good stuff.
Image

Your 2020 Dunk Contest Champion-Derrick Jones Jr!
User avatar
HerroBalls
Analyst
Posts: 3,195
And1: 6,739
Joined: Jul 02, 2015
       

Re: 2020 NBA Draft - We have a FRP!....for now 

Post#297 » by HerroBalls » Tue Jul 7, 2020 1:32 am

Before I watch tape on him, why did Immanuel Quickley only average 1.9 assists a game?

Is he not a PG? (I guess I answered my own question).

But that's super low




Read on Twitter

Wiltside wrote:Can confirm Tyler Herro is, indeed, a bucket.

Chalm Downs wrote:Me too cute
User avatar
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 20,204
And1: 50,729
Joined: Jan 03, 2006
       

Re: 2020 NBA Draft - We have a FRP!....for now 

Post#298 » by DayofMourning » Tue Jul 7, 2020 1:45 am

HerroBalls wrote:Before I watch tape on him, why did Immanuel Quickley only average 1.9 assists a game?

Is he not a PG? (I guess I answered my own question).

But that's super low


Not a very good offensive team down there in Lexington.
Image

Your 2020 Dunk Contest Champion-Derrick Jones Jr!
User avatar
Bishop45
RealGM
Posts: 28,473
And1: 94,669
Joined: Apr 22, 2015
 

Re: 2020 NBA Draft - We have a FRP!....for now 

Post#299 » by Bishop45 » Tue Jul 7, 2020 2:32 am

You no like Nnaji Dom?
Long Live Winnie. Mamba siempre

:rocking:
User avatar
Rafly
Starter
Posts: 2,402
And1: 10,375
Joined: Dec 28, 2016
 

Re: 2020 NBA Draft - We have a FRP!....for now 

Post#300 » by Rafly » Tue Jul 7, 2020 4:29 am

HerroBalls wrote:Before I watch tape on him, why did Immanuel Quickley only average 1.9 assists a game?

Is he not a PG? (I guess I answered my own question).

But that's super low

With Hagans and Maxey he never really got an opportunity to play with the ball in his hands. So it’s going to take some development with him as a PG. he’d normally be the type of guy who would impress at the combine games with the ball in his hands which would lead to temas projecting and him shooting up draft boards. He’s got steal written all over him. I thought he’d be a better defender though.

Return to Miami Heat