ImageImageImage

2020 NBA Draft - We have a FRP!....for now

Moderators: Wiltside, BFRESH44, MettaWorldPanda, heat4life, IggieCC

User avatar
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 20,204
And1: 50,729
Joined: Jan 03, 2006
       

Re: 2020 NBA Draft - We have a FRP!....for now 

Post#321 » by DayofMourning » Thu Jul 9, 2020 11:36 am

I don't think you can chance losing your guy at 23 in order to gain a 2nd rounder. There are no guarantees that a player will last, outside of mock drafts. Buying into the 2nd is more realistic.
Image

Your 2020 Dunk Contest Champion-Derrick Jones Jr!
User avatar
dean456
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,461
And1: 2,277
Joined: Jul 04, 2017
 

Re: 2020 NBA Draft - We have a FRP!....for now 

Post#322 » by dean456 » Thu Jul 9, 2020 2:59 pm

DayofMourning wrote:I don't think you can chance losing your guy at 23 in order to gain a 2nd rounder. There are no guarantees that a player will last, outside of mock drafts. Buying into the 2nd is more realistic.


That's a possibility too. But Quickly may go early in the second and not sure if any team would be willing to trade the pick just for cash and we only have a 2nd in 2022 and none in 2020, 2021,2023, 2024, 2025 or 2026.
User avatar
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 20,204
And1: 50,729
Joined: Jan 03, 2006
       

Re: 2020 NBA Draft - We have a FRP!....for now 

Post#323 » by DayofMourning » Thu Jul 9, 2020 3:24 pm

dean456 wrote:
DayofMourning wrote:I don't think you can chance losing your guy at 23 in order to gain a 2nd rounder. There are no guarantees that a player will last, outside of mock drafts. Buying into the 2nd is more realistic.


That's a possibility too. But Quickly may go early in the second and not sure if any team would be willing to trade the pick just for cash and we only have a 2nd in 2022 and none in 2020, 2021,2023, 2024, 2025 or 2026.


As I just commented on in the season thread, I believe with all the Dipo smoke that we will attempt to get him sooner rather than later. By doing that we will likely have to give them our first. Meaning, we better buy into the 2nd round using whatever we have available if we want a cheap young player. Preferably a big.
Image

Your 2020 Dunk Contest Champion-Derrick Jones Jr!
Feel_the_Heat15
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,952
And1: 3,236
Joined: Jun 22, 2015
       

Re: 2020 NBA Draft - We have a FRP!....for now 

Post#324 » by Feel_the_Heat15 » Thu Jul 9, 2020 5:18 pm

I'm telling you right now that we're drafting a big man that has 3-point shooting potential. I think outside of Smith, Oturu is the best fit next to Bam.
User avatar
Rafly
Starter
Posts: 2,402
And1: 10,375
Joined: Dec 28, 2016
 

Re: 2020 NBA Draft - We have a FRP!....for now 

Post#325 » by Rafly » Thu Jul 9, 2020 6:54 pm

Aleksej Pokusevski is skinny but damn he fits. Gonna have to bulk him up and he likely won’t play much his rookie year but he and Bam just fit together.
User avatar
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 20,204
And1: 50,729
Joined: Jan 03, 2006
       

Re: 2020 NBA Draft - We have a FRP!....for now 

Post#326 » by DayofMourning » Thu Jul 9, 2020 7:51 pm

Rafly wrote:Aleksej Pokusevski is skinny but damn he fits. Gonna have to bulk him up and he likely won’t play much his rookie year but he and Bam just fit together.


Think he's the guy the media will ask why did so many teams pass on him in a few years.

Boy is sooo skinny, but he's got all the tools. Once he adds some beef and figures out how his skillet fits, he should be good.
Image

Your 2020 Dunk Contest Champion-Derrick Jones Jr!
User avatar
dean456
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,461
And1: 2,277
Joined: Jul 04, 2017
 

Re: 2020 NBA Draft - We have a FRP!....for now 

Post#327 » by dean456 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:56 pm

DayofMourning wrote:
dean456 wrote:
DayofMourning wrote:I don't think you can chance losing your guy at 23 in order to gain a 2nd rounder. There are no guarantees that a player will last, outside of mock drafts. Buying into the 2nd is more realistic.


That's a possibility too. But Quickly may go early in the second and not sure if any team would be willing to trade the pick just for cash and we only have a 2nd in 2022 and none in 2020, 2021,2023, 2024, 2025 or 2026.


As I just commented on in the season thread, I believe with all the Dipo smoke that we will attempt to get him sooner rather than later. By doing that we will likely have to give them our first. Meaning, we better buy into the 2nd round using whatever we have available if we want a cheap young player. Preferably a big.


That's probably likely since Indiana don't have a first rounder this upcoming draft.
Vernon Carey Jr, Udoka Azubuike and Daniel Oturu are three guys in the second round who could help us. Not sure of the fit but they'd likely come off the bench to start anyway.
User avatar
HerroBalls
Analyst
Posts: 3,195
And1: 6,739
Joined: Jul 02, 2015
       

Re: 2020 NBA Draft - We have a FRP!....for now 

Post#328 » by HerroBalls » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:45 pm

I haven't mentioned Aaron Nesmith because he's not making it to us... but 52% from 3 on 8 attempts per game?!?!?!?



Imagine him in that Ellington/Duncan role, wow
Read on Twitter

Wiltside wrote:Can confirm Tyler Herro is, indeed, a bucket.

Chalm Downs wrote:Me too cute
dolphinatik
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,770
And1: 2,077
Joined: Oct 20, 2008
     

Re: 2020 NBA Draft - We have a FRP!....for now 

Post#329 » by dolphinatik » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:03 pm

Rafly wrote:Aleksej Pokusevski is skinny but damn he fits. Gonna have to bulk him up and he likely won’t play much his rookie year but he and Bam just fit together.


I like his tape, his movement and energy he plays the game with are very nice. Wouldnt be mad taking a shot at this kid.
I like JADEN MCDANIELS too but he could go top 5 or slide since his attitude and love for the game are hard to read but I think he has the game and the dog to be great.
1. Herro 2. Bol Bol 3. Seko 4. Bruno
unless we trade up for Barrett or trade down for PJ Washington
User avatar
HerroBalls
Analyst
Posts: 3,195
And1: 6,739
Joined: Jul 02, 2015
       

Re: 2020 NBA Draft - We have a FRP!....for now 

Post#330 » by HerroBalls » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:52 pm

dolphinatik wrote:
Rafly wrote:Aleksej Pokusevski is skinny but damn he fits. Gonna have to bulk him up and he likely won’t play much his rookie year but he and Bam just fit together.


I like his tape, his movement and energy he plays the game with are very nice. Wouldnt be mad taking a shot at this kid.
I like JADEN MCDANIELS too but he could go top 5 or slide since his attitude and love for the game are hard to read but I think he has the game and the dog to be great.



Would love to know Aleksej's actual size. Is he actually 7 feet? He looks a couple inches shorter on film to me eyeballing it.

He is also SO SKINNY. I'm afraid he is going to have to play the 3 and won't be able to contribute until the end of his rookie deal. Don't fall for the trap, similar to Sekou last year.




Read on Twitter

Wiltside wrote:Can confirm Tyler Herro is, indeed, a bucket.

Chalm Downs wrote:Me too cute
User avatar
HerroBalls
Analyst
Posts: 3,195
And1: 6,739
Joined: Jul 02, 2015
       

Re: 2020 NBA Draft - We have a FRP!....for now 

Post#331 » by HerroBalls » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:15 pm

HerroBalls prospect of the day: Tyrell Terry, Stanford


Why hasn't there been much love on the kid? I was shying away until I saw him ranked weirdly high on the Ringer's rankings. The kid can shoot the **** out the ball - WOW.

Downside is he is kinda small, and had some really brutal games towards the end of the season.




Read on Twitter

Wiltside wrote:Can confirm Tyler Herro is, indeed, a bucket.

Chalm Downs wrote:Me too cute
User avatar
Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
Posts: 8,576
And1: 34,651
Joined: Sep 16, 2016

Re: 2020 NBA Draft - We have a FRP!....for now 

Post#332 » by Wiltside » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:21 pm

HerroBalls wrote:
dolphinatik wrote:
Rafly wrote:Aleksej Pokusevski is skinny but damn he fits. Gonna have to bulk him up and he likely won’t play much his rookie year but he and Bam just fit together.


I like his tape, his movement and energy he plays the game with are very nice. Wouldnt be mad taking a shot at this kid.
I like JADEN MCDANIELS too but he could go top 5 or slide since his attitude and love for the game are hard to read but I think he has the game and the dog to be great.



Would love to know Aleksej's actual size. Is he actually 7 feet? He looks a couple inches shorter on film to me eyeballing it.

He is also SO SKINNY. I'm afraid he is going to have to play the 3 and won't be able to contribute until the end of his rookie deal. Don't fall for the trap, similar to Sekou last year.


To be fair, I thought Sekou had a pretty decent rookie season. Certainly glad we went with Herro (albeit I wasn’t on draft night), but I think he’s a pretty solid prospect.

I don’t see a star there though. Maybe more like an Al Farouq-Aminu type with a slightly higher upside. Which sounds like I’m ragging on him but honestly not.

Still, if you can find guys who play 10+ years in the middle of the first round you’ve done OK.
Formerly BG44, MB30 and Wade County at BasketballForum.com
User avatar
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 20,204
And1: 50,729
Joined: Jan 03, 2006
       

Re: 2020 NBA Draft - We have a FRP!....for now 

Post#333 » by DayofMourning » Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:53 pm

HerroBalls wrote:HerroBalls prospect of the day: Tyrell Terry, Stanford


Why hasn't there been much love on the kid? I was shying away until I saw him ranked weirdly high on the Ringer's rankings. The kid can shoot the **** out the ball - WOW.

Downside is he is kinda small, and had some really brutal games towards the end of the season.


Stanford kids don't rate as highly as blue bloods and power conferences.

Regardless, he's got the tude and the shooting skills. Interesting talent.
Image

Your 2020 Dunk Contest Champion-Derrick Jones Jr!
User avatar
Rafly
Starter
Posts: 2,402
And1: 10,375
Joined: Dec 28, 2016
 

Re: 2020 NBA Draft - We have a FRP!....for now 

Post#334 » by Rafly » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:40 am

I was on Nesmith early on but he’s shot up draft boards so I’ve given up on him (same with Devin Vassell). Also love Terry. Had mentioned that I’m not sure he fits defensively with Herro but offensively I absolutely love him. Shot is beautiful. Great handles and my favorite part about him is he can play off the ball as well. And while I have concerns about him defensively he was actually a good defender this year it’s mostly the size with me. But then again we’ve seen point guards at his size or smaller turn out to be great defensive players. So who knows with some culture and him bulking up.

I want one of....
Terry
Poku
Nesmith(not happening)
Jalen Smith

In a buy in in round 2:
Quickley
Jared Butler
User avatar
puppa bear
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,168
And1: 2,539
Joined: Jan 06, 2006
Location: Perth, Australia
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft - We have a FRP!....for now 

Post#335 » by puppa bear » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:36 am

This is fun reading, but I’m not getting too invested in any of the players - I feel that we are going to trade the pick for someone.

I think we still buy into the 2nd and get a guy none of us have on our radar, but end up loving.
User avatar
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 20,204
And1: 50,729
Joined: Jan 03, 2006
       

Re: 2020 NBA Draft - We have a FRP!....for now 

Post#336 » by DayofMourning » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:01 pm

puppa bear wrote:This is fun reading, but I’m not getting too invested in any of the players - I feel that we are going to trade the pick for someone.

I think we still buy into the 2nd and get a guy none of us have on our radar, but end up loving.


I'm with ya. I don't see us having a first with all this smoke. If we keep it, then I'd be pretty surprised at this point. We'll see.
Image

Your 2020 Dunk Contest Champion-Derrick Jones Jr!
User avatar
Rafly
Starter
Posts: 2,402
And1: 10,375
Joined: Dec 28, 2016
 

Re: 2020 NBA Draft - We have a FRP!....for now 

Post#337 » by Rafly » Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:47 am

Well they are going to make the pick because of the rule. But yeah they likely trade the players draft rights.
User avatar
puppa bear
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,168
And1: 2,539
Joined: Jan 06, 2006
Location: Perth, Australia
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft - We have a FRP!....for now 

Post#338 » by puppa bear » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:12 am

Rafly wrote:Well they are going to make the pick because of the rule. But yeah they likely trade the players draft rights.

True. That’s why I’m not getting hyped, as even if we make a pick I won’t expect them to be on the team until they sign the deal and/or appear in Summer League (or whatever we get this off-season.

I think we will get in on some 2nd round action though. We usually have a player or two that we are looking to nab in the 2nd, and I expect this year to be no different.

There are a couple players that could easily slip into the early 2nd & grabbing them here rather than at 23 would be more beneficial.

Ultimately, the 2nd founders give us a better financial situation for 2021, as they would be signed to min deals & not 1st round rookie scale deals.
twix2500
RealGM
Posts: 16,393
And1: 11,686
Joined: Dec 25, 2003
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft - We have a FRP!....for now 

Post#339 » by twix2500 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:48 am

I get Maxey and Quickley confused
User avatar
HerroBalls
Analyst
Posts: 3,195
And1: 6,739
Joined: Jul 02, 2015
       

Re: 2020 NBA Draft - We have a FRP!....for now 

Post#340 » by HerroBalls » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:17 am

https://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2020/07/13/2020-nba-mock-draft-3-0-is-james-wiseman-the-no-1-overall-pick/


2 things about this Mock

1. I don't want Xavier Tillman. Think he's a hard working kid, but can't get over the inability to shoot. He's a project, and I don't want a project that spent 3 years at a big school. Id rather a young kid. Id love him as a late 2nd or UDFA, but not at 23. He doesn't give me Draymond enough vibes.

2. Looking at this draft - we passed on Kira Lewis, Nico Mannion, Theo Maledon, Jalen Smith, Daniel Oturu - all of whom I'm high on.




Read on Twitter

Wiltside wrote:Can confirm Tyler Herro is, indeed, a bucket.

Chalm Downs wrote:Me too cute

Return to Miami Heat