ImageImageImage

2020 NBA Draft - We have a FRP!....for now

Moderators: KingDavid, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside

twix2500
RealGM
And1: 22,214

Re: 2020 NBA Draft - We have a FRP!....for now 

Post#421 » by twix2500 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:13 am

Wiltside wrote:Looking at Miami's Draft Pick History over the past 5 years:

2019: Tyler Herro, SG, Freshman, Kentucky / KZ Okpala, SF/PF, Sophomore, Stanford
2018: Pick was traded
2017: Bam Adebayo, PF/C, Freshman, Kentucky
2016: Pick was traded
2015: Justise Winslow, SF, Freshman, Duke / Josh Richardson, SG, Senior, Tennessee

We typically like guys from big programs and we're happy to take who we perceive as BPA, not necessarily base it on fit. We also value positionless abilities, and guys who can play more than one or two positions.

Having said that, I feel like our biggest needs would be:
- Interior defense, rebounding with shooting range
- Backup guard
- 3&D wings that can play the 4

Interior defense is obvious, the hard part is the shooting range. Spo doesnt' seem to like playing Bam at the 4 with a non-shooting center, which means we often downsize our frontcourt for maximum defensive versatility. This helps spacing but gives up interior defense and rebounding. It would be good to have a legit shot blocking, 3pt shooting big on the roster. Neither Kelly nor Myles fit this brief given their lack of rim protection.

Additionally, it would be good to have a Gogi successor to groom. He's been terrific as a 6th man this year, embraced the role fully. We don't know what the offseason holds for him though, and whether he will play ball for team friendly contract flexibility, or take the cash and years offered elsewhere. It would be good to have someone in the wings ready to take over, whether it is this year or two years from now. To be fair though, that person could be Kendrick Nunn if he embraced his microwave scorer destiny.

Finally, you can never have too many 3&D wings, which would also become important if we were to be able to land Giannis in 2021. Presumably, he and Bam play the 4/5 interchangeably, but having wings who you can plug next to them when one is resting will be key also, particularly given Spo's penchant for going small. It remains important given Crowder and DJJ are both FA's who may need replacing.

I think Saddiq Bey is looking like my preferred draft pick if available. NBA ready frame at 6'8" and 216lbs, 2.5 treys on 45% per, 6'8" and can defend. I feel it is unlikely that he will be available though. Patrick Williams would be next on my list, but he too may not be available - expecting him to fly up draft boards closer to the Draft.

I'm not opposed to someone like Carey, but as someone said earlier, he doesn't strike me as someone who would fit the Spo type offense. Reminds me a bit of Greg Monroe for some reason. Perhaps it's the lefty stroke and being a bit of a banger on the inside. Moose was a solid player, but players like him are a dying breed. Crazy how quick he flamed out after that contract - dude is still only 30.

Part of me would love to see us have the balls to identify a target we really want in the mid-late lotto and go for it. Offer up Nunn and #20 to get in there and get our guy.

About the power forward position, I think Okpala is being groomed to fill that spot. Don't let the lack of use this year discourage you. He has been hitting the weights so by next season he should have really filled out.

Also I still think Heat are targeting Ibaka this offseason. Ibaka allows the Heat to be able to physically match against big teams like the Lakers while being able to play the same system offensively and defensively. Also Ibaka has shown he is willing to come off the bench or start. If not than it will be Gallinari. Meyers will be resigned I'm confident. I still wouldn't count out Kevin Love.

Targeting Ibaka allows Olynyk to be put on the trade market again. Just maybe the Heat could get Oladipo for Olynyk and the 20th pick. If not, then use Olynyk to move up in draft or get additional draft pick.

I definitely think Patrick Williams will be available, I think lately mock drafts have overrated him. Bey is definitely a better prospect that will go ahead of Williams. Looking at the draft today I put Kira Lewis as a player on the watch list. I don't think needed position is what the heat will look at. Players that fit Spo system and Riley culture will be requirements, not position. IMO Heat are taking inconsideration that they are looking to make a move via trade. So not knowing what position will lose depth, it's best to draft bpa on their chart. I would put Saddiq on the list indeed. Players with a dog in them that can fit with Butler, these three fits the mold.

Tryese Maxey
Kira Lewis
Saddiq Bey
radikalBaller
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,324

Post#422 » by radikalBaller » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:43 pm

Love Bey game, great fit next to bam
Feel_the_Heat15
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,455

Post#423 » by Feel_the_Heat15 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:09 pm

If I had to choose between drafting Terry or Maxey, I'd go with Terry.

Read on Twitter
lastb1ckman
Freshman
And1: 63

Post#424 » by lastb1ckman » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:00 am

Feel_the_Heat15 wrote:If I had to choose between drafting Terry or Maxey, I'd go with Terry.

Read on Twitter

Offensively, Terry is exactly what I'd want playing next to Bam or Jimmy in the future. Only problem is he's sooooooo small and light. The size of Trae Young, while still being officially 20 lbs lighter. I don't think he'd be Trae Young bad on D if he was drafted by us though. Our system and personnel is too good for that.
Feel_the_Heat15
Assistant Coach

Post#425 » by Feel_the_Heat15 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:33 pm

lastb1ckman wrote:
Feel_the_Heat15 wrote:If I had to choose between drafting Terry or Maxey, I'd go with Terry.

Read on Twitter

Offensively, Terry is exactly what I'd want playing next to Bam or Jimmy in the future. Only problem is he's sooooooo small and light. The size of Trae Young, while still being officially 20 lbs lighter. I don't think he'd be Trae Young bad on D if he was drafted by us though. Our system and personnel is too good for that.

There's a rumor that he might be 6'3 with shoes.
HeatIn5
General Manager
And1: 18,357

Post#426 » by HeatIn5 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:42 pm

I think Saddiq or Kira would make the biggest impact year 1
Read on Twitter
lastb1ckman
Freshman
And1: 63

Post#427 » by lastb1ckman » Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:21 pm

Feel_the_Heat15 wrote:
lastb1ckman wrote:

Read on Twitter

There's a rumor that he might be 6'3 with shoes.

Good, hopefully that means he's still growing. 20 more pounds and he'll approach decent weight. Plus, if Dragic can be so valuable while not be a good defender at this point, who says Tyrell can't?
Rafly
Starter
And1: 10,501

Post#428 » by Rafly » Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:06 am

I’m not his biggest fan but if Cole Anthony is available at 20 They should probably jumó at him.
Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 71,843

Post#429 » by Wiltside » Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:46 am

I agree with that Rafly. Some question marks, but he looked legit prior to the knee injury. I'd roll the dice at 20 for sure, but I doubt he gets there.

First stab at a lotto mock, including a spicy trade at the top:

Bradley Beal and Pick 9 (rights to Devin Vassell) to the Warriors in exchange for Andrew Wiggins, Pick 2 (Rights to LaMelo Ball), 2020 SRP, 2023 FRP (unprotected), 2025 FRP (top 10 prot) and Eric Paschall.

Warriors add a star to their embarrassment of shooters. Rolling out a lineup of Curry, Beal, Thompson, Green and a dead body would be almost unfair. They also get to move back in the draft and pick up a player that fits their ethos better for cheaper salary. Let's be real, Green is going to play a LOT of 5 next season. The picks may look like slight overs, but it's the price of dealing for star players.

For the Wizards, the rebuild finally begins. Adding Ball generates some excitement in the Capital, they get a plethora of picks for their trouble and a nice little piece in Paschall too. Wiggins is capable enough as a stop gap scorer, albeit he's really just there as salary matching.

1. Timberwolves: Anthony Edwards, SG/SF, Georgia

This pick could go three ways, but I feel that with Russell and Towns in tow, they'll settle for a wing rather than a big or another ball handling guard. Edwards is athletic, has an NBA ready frame, and had some huge games for Georgia this season.

2. Warriors (traded to WAS): LaMelo Ball, PG, Illawarra Hawks

I'm projecting the Warriors will take LaMelo here at #2 and trade him to the highest bidder. The highest bidder could be Washington, dangling the Bradley Beal carrot out to start their rebuild in earnest. At 6'7", Ball is a tough match up for opposing teams and could be a franchise changer.

3. Hornets: James Wiseman, C, Memphis

Hornets get exactly what they need in Wiseman, a big, physical specimen who we didn't get to see much of this season. While bigs are not as sought after these days, Wiseman is 7'1" and would fit well alongside Rozier/Graham/Bridges etc in Charlotte.

4. Bulls: Deni Avdija, SF, Maccabi

The Kukoc comparisons will be inevitable, but Avdija could end up the best player in this class. Fits a need for the a high level wing, and at 6'9", could play some small ball 4 too.

5. Cavs: Obi Toppin, PF, Dayton

The Cavs need a big that can score. Toppin can do that. Averaged 20/8 for Dayton this past season, and shot 63% from the floor. Athletic and can shoot it too.

6. Hawks: Isaac Okoro, SF, Auburn

Hawks could go a lot of ways here. Okoro projects to be a really quality defensive player on the next level, which is something that Hawks desperately need.

7. Pistons: Killian Hayes, PG/SG, France

A smooth lefty, Hayes would be a great building block for a Pistons team badly in need of some excitement. Has a little bit of the DLo's about his game.

8. Knicks: Tyrese Haliburton, PG, Iowa State

Knicks need a PG in the worst way. They haven't had much success with former Top 10 picks Ntilikina and Smith, but hope third time is the charm with Haliburton. Averaged 2.4 treys a game, has a weird looking stroke but it seems effective.

9. Wizards (traded to GSW): Devin Vassell, SG/SF, Florida State

The Wizards trade the rights to Vassell to Golden State in the aforementioned Beal deal. Vassell is ready to contribute and can fill their Íggy void. At 6'7" and a quality defender, plus able to make the three ball, he'd fit in perfectly in GSW.

10. Suns: Saddiq Bey, SF, Villanova

Might be considered a reach, but the Suns showed last year they're happy to back themselves in and take the guy they want. After sweeping their bubble games going small at the 4 spot, they'll pick up Bey to add to their arsenal of 3&D wings that can play the 3/4. At 21, he's mature and ready to play now as the Suns try and finally make the postseason in 2021.

11. Spurs: Onyeka Okongwu, PF/C, USC

San Antonio picks up the slider in Okongwu. This is definitely his floor - wouldn't be surprised to see his name called for CLE/DET/ATL. The Spurs would be thrilled to find an athletic 4/5 they can start to rebuild with. Would fit in well with their new breed of Murray and Walker etc.

12. Kings: Aaron Nesmith, SG/SF, Vanderbilt

Kings pick up the best shooter in the class. Gives them some insurance incase they decide to deal Buddy Hield (who doesn't seem thrilled at coming off the bench) or let Bogdan Bogdanovic walk in RFA.

13. Pelicans: Cole Anthony, PG, UNC

I'm not sure the Pels are 100% convinced on Lonzo being their guy at the Point long term. Picking up Anthony gives them a talented young guard to pair with Zion going forward if the Lonzo experiment wears out.

14. Celtics: Aleksej Pokusevski, PF/C, Olympiacos B

Draft and stash for Boston. Take the punt on the potential, as Pokusevski could be a steal if it pays off. Keeps their cap sheet clean too.
Formerly BG44, MB30 and Wade County at BasketballForum.com
twix2500
RealGM

Post#430 » by twix2500 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:05 pm

Rafly wrote:I’m not his biggest fan but if Cole Anthony is available at 20 They should probably jumó at him.

I am, I think he is a unique elite talent in the modes of Iverson. Cant use him in a traditional role so a coach has to be flexible. I am concern about his vision, but i think he can be an elite scorer. He reminds me of Dion Waiters a lot, hopefully without the funky attitude.
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 79,736

Post#431 » by DayofMourning » Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:11 pm

Wiltside wrote:I agree with that Rafly. Some question marks, but he looked legit prior to the knee injury. I'd roll the dice at 20 for sure, but I doubt he gets there.

First stab at a lotto mock, including a spicy trade at the top:

Bradley Beal and Pick 9 (rights to Devin Vassell) to the Warriors in exchange for Andrew Wiggins, Pick 2 (Rights to LaMelo Ball), 2020 SRP, 2023 FRP (unprotected), 2025 FRP (top 10 prot) and Eric Paschall.

Warriors add a star to their embarrassment of shooters. Rolling out a lineup of Curry, Beal, Thompson, Green and a dead body would be almost unfair. They also get to move back in the draft and pick up a player that fits their ethos better for cheaper salary. Let's be real, Green is going to play a LOT of 5 next season. The picks may look like slight overs, but it's the price of dealing for star players. I question the return for Washington. They trade up 7 spots in this weak draft and give up an allstar for an unprotected in 2023 and top 10 protected in 2025? Does that seem like enough? Any way they could offload Wall in this same deal?

For the Wizards, the rebuild finally begins. Adding Ball generates some excitement in the Capital, they get a plethora of picks for their trouble and a nice little piece in Paschall too. Wiggins is capable enough as a stop gap scorer, albeit he's really just there as salary matching.

1. Timberwolves: Anthony Edwards, SG/SF, Georgia

This pick could go three ways, but I feel that with Russell and Towns in tow, they'll settle for a wing rather than a big or another ball handling guard. Edwards is athletic, has an NBA ready frame, and had some huge games for Georgia this season. I feel that no matter what Minny does, they are going to mess it up. Feels like they should trade for a veteran who can help them win at this point.

2. Warriors (traded to WAS): LaMelo Ball, PG, Illawarra Hawks

I'm projecting the Warriors will take LaMelo here at #2 and trade him to the highest bidder. The highest bidder could be Washington, dangling the Bradley Beal carrot out to start their rebuild in earnest. At 6'7", Ball is a tough match up for opposing teams and could be a franchise changer.

3. Hornets: James Wiseman, C, Memphis

Hornets get exactly what they need in Wiseman, a big, physical specimen who we didn't get to see much of this season. While bigs are not as sought after these days, Wiseman is 7'1" and would fit well alongside Rozier/Graham/Bridges etc in Charlotte. Wiseman is the guy I'd draft at one. Charlotte wins with this pick.

4. Bulls: Deni Avdija, SF, Maccabi

The Kukoc comparisons will be inevitable, but Avdija could end up the best player in this class. Fits a need for the a high level wing, and at 6'9", could play some small ball 4 too.

5. Cavs: Obi Toppin, PF, Dayton

The Cavs need a big that can score. Toppin can do that. Averaged 20/8 for Dayton this past season, and shot 63% from the floor. Athletic and can shoot it too.

6. Hawks: Isaac Okoro, SF, Auburn

Hawks could go a lot of ways here. Okoro projects to be a really quality defensive player on the next level, which is something that Hawks desperately need.

7. Pistons: Killian Hayes, PG/SG, France

A smooth lefty, Hayes would be a great building block for a Pistons team badly in need of some excitement. Has a little bit of the DLo's about his game.

8. Knicks: Tyrese Haliburton, PG, Iowa State

Knicks need a PG in the worst way. They haven't had much success with former Top 10 picks Ntilikina and Smith, but hope third time is the charm with Haliburton. Averaged 2.4 treys a game, has a weird looking stroke but it seems effective.

9. Wizards (traded to GSW): Devin Vassell, SG/SF, Florida State

The Wizards trade the rights to Vassell to Golden State in the aforementioned Beal deal. Vassell is ready to contribute and can fill their Íggy void. At 6'7" and a quality defender, plus able to make the three ball, he'd fit in perfectly in GSW.I really like Vassell. Don't know how good he will be, but he's a really solid roster building addition.

10. Suns: Saddiq Bey, SF, Villanova

Might be considered a reach, but the Suns showed last year they're happy to back themselves in and take the guy they want. After sweeping their bubble games going small at the 4 spot, they'll pick up Bey to add to their arsenal of 3&D wings that can play the 3/4. At 21, he's mature and ready to play now as the Suns try and finally make the postseason in 2021.

11. Spurs: Onyeka Okongwu, PF/C, USC

San Antonio picks up the slider in Okongwu. This is definitely his floor - wouldn't be surprised to see his name called for CLE/DET/ATL. The Spurs would be thrilled to find an athletic 4/5 they can start to rebuild with. Would fit in well with their new breed of Murray and Walker etc. Can't see him falling this far, especially with all the Bam comparisons. He'll go higher.

12. Kings: Aaron Nesmith, SG/SF, Vanderbilt

Kings pick up the best shooter in the class. Gives them some insurance incase they decide to deal Buddy Hield (who doesn't seem thrilled at coming off the bench) or let Bogdan Bogdanovic walk in RFA.

13. Pelicans: Cole Anthony, PG, UNC

I'm not sure the Pels are 100% convinced on Lonzo being their guy at the Point long term. Picking up Anthony gives them a talented young guard to pair with Zion going forward if the Lonzo experiment wears out. Like this pick for the Pels. CA looked very mediocre at UNC, but doesn't everyone?

14. Celtics: Aleksej Pokusevski, PF/C, Olympiacos B

Draft and stash for Boston. Take the punt on the potential, as Pokusevski could be a steal if it pays off. Keeps their cap sheet clean too. Good pick.

Good stuff, Wilt. Comments in red.

Looking forward to 2nd half of first round.
twix2500
RealGM

Post#432 » by twix2500 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:55 pm

I think another player fans need to be cautious about is Melo Ball. Like his brother I think media is over hyping him. IMO belongs more in the 5 to 10 range. I also think not playing in college slowed his development. I think going to the leagues like Melo did, is good for someone who trying to develop individual skills, not in game coaching. Melo has skills, its the strategic stern coaching and experience against athletes that he needed. I just wonder if Melo and Hampton just bought time to get to the draft and didnt really learn anything overseas. And might be coming to the league with the same highschool mentality and mental development about the game. Like I said during the 2010 draft, Lonzo should have never been rated ahead of Fox. This does not mean Melo will not be something special one day. But like his brother I think he needs to grow up and humble himself. This going to be the first time that a team and players will not cater to him. The NBA athletes will humble him fast.

Edwards and Wiseman the top two prospects in this draft and I think it is not even close to the rest. IMO 3 to 10 is a toss up. I know nothing of Avdija, so I am not even gonna fake it. You guys can put him where ever, I have no idea. But if I had to RATE 3 to 10, I know I would put Okongwu, Toppin and Nesmith at 3 to 5, then Melo at 6. Obvious Hawks have the six pick so the ideal team would be Pistons for Melo. But I the more I think about it, the Hawks may be a good fit and I will explain why.

This is just an explanation at the top of my head. Havent really thought about the teams per say except for Minny. But Ill give a quick stab at the top 14 on what would I do (WWID) if I was the GMs.

1. Timberwolves: James Wiseman
- I think it is a toss up between Edwards and Wiseman only because of the little film of Wiseman in college. However, the talent of Wiseman is flat out in your face. Physically I think he is a better prospect than Embiid.
- Why would Minny do this. Well, regardless how the game is played, it is always about the star not the style. And how those stars cause mismatches. Wiseman has star talent and the Wolves still need stars on their roster. They cannot get a star via free agency, so they can let one pass them by in the draft.
- KAT always wanted to play PF just like Davis in LA. Well, this will allow KAT to prove that right and playing next to an elite talent like Duncan with Robinson. Both can play at all three levels. A trio of Russell, KAT and Wiseman is a foundation to build around. Everyone else should be on the trading block to acquire vet role players who complement the Wolves trio. Something I think they can do during free agency.
- Also, if KAT eventually wants out, they will have that piece in Wiseman to move forward with.
2. Warriors (traded to WAS): Anthony Edwards
- The GW has Curry, Klay and Green, adding a dynamic swing player who can get to the cup will complement the three very well. Back to playing high place with a great athlete in Edwards. With GW coaching staff and their 3-star leadership, Edwards would be in great position to turn into a star very quickly.
3. Hornets: Aaron Nesmith or Deni Avdija
- Hornets have two identical players in Washington and Bridges, unless they like Toppin or Okongwu more than Washington and Bridges, I cannot see a reason to draft one of the two.
- So, moving those two out of the picture, I struggled between choosing Melo and Nesmith. Charlotte needs some media hype that Melo would bring, but could Jordan deal with the media circus of the Ball family?? I keep having a gut feeling that answer is no. Looking long term, I think Nesmith has the professionalism that can handle the city of Charlotte long term and possibly become an All-Star quality player eventually. He has a role on the team starting lineup and brings the high BBall IQ defensively and offensively on the wing.
- Deni Avdija, like I said I know nothing of him, just going by description on websites.
- I think this is a nice foundation lineup until they find some alphas.
PG: Graham
SG: Nesmith
SF: Bridges
PF: Washington
4. Bulls: Obi Toppin
- Fits perfectly with their roster and will draw fans. Can complete and make for an high flying fast pace difficult to match up team. This could be Okongwu if the Bulls decide to move one of their bigs. Or Avdija if he is that good. I heard of Toppin defensive concerns, have not watch it to know. But thinking putting him at PF and playing in space may solve some of those problems.
PG: White
SG: LaVine
SF: Porter Jr
PF: Toppin
Ce: Markkanen or Carter Jr
5. Cavs: Onyeka Okongwu
- So many young wings, it is time to start developing the frontcourt. A two-way player who will be smart enough to start from the get-go. And dammit trade Kevin Love, so they can spend up the rebuild process. Having this grown as man who still play at a high level with children is stupid.
6. Hawks: Melo Ball
- Hawks are full of talent, a great coaching staff and a city that would embrace the Ball family and businesses. Putting Melo as a back up passing two guard and point on team that is ready to make a step next season would be a great situation for Ball all around. The mistakes he will make will not be highlighted and he has the scheme and the talent around him that fits him best. He will not be rushed to be leader of men; he can grow and mature on a natural rate.
7. Pistons: Deni Avdija or Cole Anthony or Jaden McDaniels
- Don’t know squat about him except for he is from Israel and 6’9. From how sites rate him he would be a great fit and on the same development timeline as Doumbouya. Pistons are LONG ways from anything and need to start acting like it. Trade or release Blake, stop putting this grown man through this. It is not entertaining whatsoever. Trade Kennard before he walks. Just signed guys who are hungry and need time to showcase themselves. Commit to the draft for a while.
8. Knicks: Cole Anthony
- Hope it fails because it is the Knicks…. If the Knicks and his father have good relationship, he could be a block buster move as a second go too scorer with RJ. But it is the Knicks they will screw it up regardless.
9. Wizards (traded to GSW): Jaden McDaniels or Precious Achiuwa
- Has very good physical tools. Still developing physically and learning how to apply his skills to the game. Would be breaking up the Wiz and have McDaniels and Hachimura the starting pieces of the rebuild. Move Beal to speed up the rebuild through draft process.
10. Suns: Nico Minnion or Tyrese Haliburton or Killian Hayes
- Whom ever they grade the best and will groom behind Rubio. But lets just go with Minnion. I feel this is the time to trade the pick and get a player who will boost the starting lineup for someone like Jrue Holiday or Lonzo Ball.
11. Spurs: Daniel Oturu
- Time to start grooming that frontcourt. Oturu got the size and skills that the Spurs can coach up to be a big-time player. Get to learn from Aldridge. Quietly built a young squad that may sneak up and start to shine next season.
12. Kings: Precious Achiuwa
- Bagley needs to stay healthy, if he can Achiuwa can be the perfect enforcer next to him and can run the floor with Fox. If this team has patience, I think the team will make a jump next season or the next similar to the Suns.
13. Pelicans: Killian Hayes
14. Celtics: Tyrese Haliburton
Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#433 » by Wiltside » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:48 am

twix2500 wrote:I think another player fans need to be cautious about is Melo Ball. Like his brother I think media is over hyping him. IMO belongs more in the 5 to 10 range. I also think not playing in college slowed his development. I think going to the leagues like Melo did, is good for someone who trying to develop individual skills, not in game coaching. Melo has skills, its the strategic stern coaching and experience against athletes that he needed. I just wonder if Melo and Hampton just bought time to get to the draft and didnt really learn anything overseas. And might be coming to the league with the same highschool mentality and mental development about the game. Like I said during the 2010 draft, Lonzo should have never been rated ahead of Fox. This does not mean Melo will not be something special one day. But like his brother I think he needs to grow up and humble himself. This going to be the first time that a team and players will not cater to him. The NBA athletes will humble him fast.

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the league that Ball and Hampton played in twix. The NBL is a reasonable league. It's not the NBA or Euroleague, no doubt about that, but it's professionally run with high quality coaching and development staff. It's not a track meet where you can just coast - coaches are playing to win, and it's a defensive minded league. Melo isn't walking up shooting 30 footers with no defense. Due to his name and profile, you can bet players were hunting him.

The talent level is not at the elite end of college basketball, but what it lacks in talent it makes up for in physicality. It's a veteran, pro league - not an easy one to thrive in as skinny, young teens.

I think the hard thing when evaluating guys like Hampton and Ball vs draftees that went the college route is that lack of a level playing field when assessing them.

Ball did average 17/6/7, but shot 37% and 25% on threes. He had the ball in his hands a fair bit, but obviously struggled with his shot. Hampton averaged 8/4/2 in 20mpg on 40% and 29%.

The parallel's with Lonzo will obviously be there, I suppose teams will be banking on him being a better shooter and finisher than his brother. Remains to be seen, but at 6'7" and with the talent level in this draft being a bit of a question mark, he'd be worth the punt.
Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#434 » by Wiltside » Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:28 am

Damn, re-drafting the 2016 NBA Draft Lottery is a tough one.

1. Pascal Siakam - Didn't see this one coming. Was pick #27 on draft night but finds himself at #1 now.
2. Ben Simmons - Haters will focus on the one glaring hole in his game, but the dude does a lot right.
3. Brandon Ingram - Came into his own this year. In a few more years, could make the case for #1.
4. Domantas Sabonis - The son of Arvydas, we should've known he'd be a beast.
5. Jamal Murray - There were questions on whether he could be a PG in the NBA. Found the perfect system to thrive in.
6. Jaylen Brown - Has blossomed into a terrific 2 way player. Arguably could be ranked higher, it's tough at the top.
7. Buddy Hield - Elite 3pt shooter in a weird situation in Sacramento.
8. Malcolm Brogdon - Tearing us a new one at present, at 27yrs old already entering his prime. Could be more efficient - dropped from 50% last yearin MIL to 43% this year in IND.
9. Caris LeVert - Starting to figure it out. May end up trade bait next year with Kyrie and KD byk.
10. Malik Beasley - Averaged 20 per in 14 games with Minny after being traded. Coming into his own.
11. Dejounte Murray - ACL tear robbed him of a year, but could end up a poor man's Rondo eventually.
12. Taurean Prince - Solid, but can't be shooting 37% from the floor. That's a no. Should have a Crowder type career.
13. Ivica Zubac - Still only 22, a solid rotation big that every team could use.
14. Jakob Poeltl - Feels like we haven't seen the best of him yet. Could be destined for a career averaging 18mpg.

Some big time players at the top, but from around pick 8-9 the quality certainly drops a few tiers.
twix2500
RealGM

Post#435 » by twix2500 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:11 pm

Wiltside wrote:
twix2500 wrote:I think another player fans need to be cautious about is Melo Ball. Like his brother I think media is over hyping him. IMO belongs more in the 5 to 10 range. I also think not playing in college slowed his development. I think going to the leagues like Melo did, is good for someone who trying to develop individual skills, not in game coaching. Melo has skills, its the strategic stern coaching and experience against athletes that he needed. I just wonder if Melo and Hampton just bought time to get to the draft and didnt really learn anything overseas. And might be coming to the league with the same highschool mentality and mental development about the game. Like I said during the 2010 draft, Lonzo should have never been rated ahead of Fox. This does not mean Melo will not be something special one day. But like his brother I think he needs to grow up and humble himself. This going to be the first time that a team and players will not cater to him. The NBA athletes will humble him fast.

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the league that Ball and Hampton played in twix. The NBL is a reasonable league. It's not the NBA or Euroleague, no doubt about that, but it's professionally run with high quality coaching and development staff. It's not a track meet where you can just coast - coaches are playing to win, and it's a defensive minded league. Melo isn't walking up shooting 30 footers with no defense. Due to his name and profile, you can bet players were hunting him.

The talent level is not at the elite end of college basketball, but what it lacks in talent it makes up for in physicality. It's a veteran, pro league - not an easy one to thrive in as skinny, young teens.

I think the hard thing when evaluating guys like Hampton and Ball vs draftees that went the college route is that lack of a level playing field when assessing them.

Ball did average 17/6/7, but shot 37% and 25% on threes. He had the ball in his hands a fair bit, but obviously struggled with his shot. Hampton averaged 8/4/2 in 20mpg on 40% and 29%.

The parallel's with Lonzo will obviously be there, I suppose teams will be banking on him being a better shooter and finisher than his brother. Remains to be seen, but at 6'7" and with the talent level in this draft being a bit of a question mark, he'd be worth the punt.

I do not want to dog the league in general. But look at the scenario that Hampton and Ball were in. They were there for a few months simply to collect a check. Was there really time to coach them up and do you think Ball and Hampton were going to that league looking to be coached up. Also at the same time, owners know the media attention they get by babysitting those two players for a few months. Yes they are grown men playing in those leagues, how much do you think they paid any true attention to those kids and knowing those two kids were likely getting minutes they do not deserve. It is a different situation when a NBA contacts the league to send a player there to be develop. Usually that comes with a plan all agreed on between the nba coaches, the australian league coaches and the player. I hate to be negative, but I am not confident Lavar Ball talked to Illawarra Hawks about developing his son. I suspect it was more who will allow my son to be showcased.

Big brother Lonzo approached the NBA when he first got there, he didnt want to workout and take care of his body, wasnt someone they could trust as a professional. One bump by an adult he never wanted to go to the paint again. It took him a couple of years to start seeing he needed to develop and couldnt just go on the court and freelance.

The Ball brother are extremely skilled for their size, however they are not extremely athletic for their size. Melo has to go through that maturity stage to actually know what he will will be.

I am a big proponent that these teens should get paid to play ball at these colleges or somewhere else. However, college ball do have the infrastructure and system to coach these kids up in a short period of time as good as one can (not saying every school). G-League will be even better scenario to get coached up.
greg4012
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,770

Post#436 » by greg4012 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:09 pm

The more we get into the playoffs the more likely it is we trade our first round pick.

What's interesting is if the condensed time between end of season and the draft will lessen the likelihood of team's trading picks for players
Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#437 » by Wiltside » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:23 pm

greg4012 wrote:The more we get into the playoffs the more likely it is we trade our first round pick.

What's interesting is if the condensed time between end of season and the draft will lessen the likelihood of team's trading picks for players

What’s the correlation between how deep we go and how likely we are to trade the pick? Genuinely curious.
greg4012
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,770

Post#438 » by greg4012 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:01 pm

Wiltside wrote:
greg4012 wrote:The more we get into the playoffs the more likely it is we trade our first round pick.

What’s the correlation between how deep we go and how likely we are to trade the pick? Genuinely curious.

The growing desire for Riley to supplement next season's roster with a strong addition and take a shot while Jimmy is still in peak form. The more success we have, the closer we will feel we are to getting over the top
Feel_the_Heat15
Assistant Coach

Post#439 » by Feel_the_Heat15 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:47 pm

I'd draft Riller and McDaniels over Maxey and Green.
twix2500
RealGM

Post#440 » by twix2500 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:52 pm

greg4012 wrote:
Wiltside wrote:

The growing desire for Riley to supplement next season's roster with a strong addition and take a shot while Jimmy is still in peak form. The more success we have, the closer we will feel we are to getting over the top

Agree, developing players are gonna start being on the back burner.

Return to Miami Heat