ImageImageImage

2020 NBA Draft - We have a FRP!....for now

Moderators: BFRESH44, Wiltside, MettaWorldPanda, heat4life, IggieCC

User avatar
Rafly
Starter
Posts: 2,415
And1: 10,431
Joined: Dec 28, 2016
 

Re: 2020 NBA Draft - We have a FRP!....for now 

Post#521 » by Rafly » Fri Sep 4, 2020 11:39 am

radikalBaller wrote:Saddiq Bey could be great next to bam, seeing how bam plays well with Crowder...always liked those crowder, covington, type of players to play along bam

Bey

FG% : 47.7

3ptGF% : 45.1

FT% : 77

eFG% : 58.4

EFF : 21.6

WS : 4.9


I agree with this quite a bit. Right now I got 3 guys I would absolutely love. Maxey, S. Bey and P. Williams. Love Maxey’s defense and I believe he will be a good 3 point shooter and it wouldn’t surprise me to see him a much better playmaker once he leaves Kentucky. Bey and Williams are both wonderful defenders who can stretch the floor. Not 100% sure Bey has the strength to defend 4‘s like Crowder does. I know Williams will definitely be able too. But Bey is ready to play day 1 and is a more versatile offensive weapon. Love these 3 guys though but Miami likely won’t have a shot at any of them.
twix2500
RealGM
Posts: 16,498
And1: 11,806
Joined: Dec 25, 2003
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft - We have a FRP!....for now 

Post#522 » by twix2500 » Sat Sep 5, 2020 1:38 pm

Feel_the_Heat15 wrote:For those of you who want to draft Oturu at 20, what are you predicting his stats in his 4th season to be? Do you think he will be one of the better bigs defensively in the league? I want to know why we want to draft him over some of the other prospects.


I think most of us expressed why we have interest in Oturu. No one is Miss Cleo here and knows exactly what is going to happen in his future. Many unknown factors happen. He is not a developed player, he is a project on the lines of Bam.

Again what I have said about him, is obvious the interest in his offense potential. Just like the interest in Hero, Robinson or Nunn had nothing to do with defense. Comparing Oturu to Bam, the interest was Bam potential to be very good on defense and solid offensively. He was very raw and need the right coaching to be developed properly. Had the body type that can compete against bigger players and smaller players. The same with Oturu except the inverse of the interest, the potential to be very good offensively and solid defensively. He has shown potential to be able to score at all three levels, around the rim, midrange, 3 pt line. The ability to score off the ball as well has score one on one. Is physical in a crowd, can score in space.

Defensively, his potential strength appears to be rebounding. He has a wide and strong body and also mobile to chase down rebounds. Doesnt get pushed around very easily. Not an all 3 level defender. His strength will be in the paint. But he is mobile enough to chase decent players on the perimeter. Is he gonna be able to give trouble with good perimeter offensive player one on one on the perimeter, probably not. But I think there are fundamentals that he can learn and be solid in those areas. He can be a bigger Chris Silva defensively.

Oturu is not as athletic as Bam, but he not that far away thou. He can run fullcourt, he can bounce around the rim. He is not gonna sky like Jones Jr or Bam, but his level of athleticism is more in line with Bosh. However, he has lot more scoring skills than Bam. He is not a fundamentally sound college player similar to how Bam and Okpala was. He is not Tyler Herro or Brandon Clarke, who were fundamentally sound players which made it obvious they would be able to contribute from the jump.

Type of player you are likely looking at in Oturu is Bosh. That doesnt mean quality, but the style of player. That can range from Bosh, Jaren Jackson Jr, to solid players like Taj Gibson to struggling players like Bobby Portis and Noah Vonleh. I think having Zo, Bosh, Haslem and Bam training him will be a very good situation for him to develop.

I do not know where Oturu will be drafted, there are a lot more personal intel the teams learn about the players that we do not get to know publicly. The Heat has taking projects at times like Bam over fundamentally sound players and has chosen more fundamentally sound players like Herro, Napier and Chalmers over projects (DeAndre Jordan, Capela).
twix2500
RealGM
Posts: 16,498
And1: 11,806
Joined: Dec 25, 2003
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft - We have a FRP!....for now 

Post#523 » by twix2500 » Sat Sep 5, 2020 1:49 pm

Hey Feel_the_Heat1, rank YOUR top 25 prospects in order. Im talking about ranking, not draft prediction.
dolphinatik
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,837
And1: 2,228
Joined: Oct 20, 2008
     

Re: 2020 NBA Draft - We have a FRP!....for now 

Post#524 » by dolphinatik » Sat Sep 5, 2020 3:18 pm

1 Anthony Edwards
2 Devin Vassell
3 James Wiseman
4 Obi Toppin
5 Aaron Nesmith
6 Patrick Williams
7 Jaden McDaniels
8 Vernon Carey Jr
9 Tyrese Haliburton
10 Cole Anthony
11 Aleksej Pokusevski
12 Saddiq Bey
13 Jahmi'us Ramsey
14 Killian Hayes
15 Precious Achiuwa
16 RJ Hampton
17 Isaac Okoro
18 Josh Green
19 Onyeka Okongwu
20 Deni Avdija
21 Kira Lewis Jr
22 Udoka Azubuike
23 Daniel Oturu
24 Cassius Winston
25 Nico Mannion
26 Theo Maledon
27 Tyrese Maxey
28 Jalen Smith
29 LaMelo Ball
30 Elijah Hughes
1. Herro 2. Bol Bol 3. Seko 4. Bruno
unless we trade up for Barrett or trade down for PJ Washington
Feel_the_Heat15
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,017
And1: 3,267
Joined: Jun 22, 2015
       

Re: 2020 NBA Draft - We have a FRP!....for now 

Post#525 » by Feel_the_Heat15 » Sat Sep 5, 2020 7:40 pm

Most of these prospects show potential either offensively or defensively, but how much potential are they showing? Bam was already there defensively and Oturu wasn't. Zion was drafted #1 because he consistently showed you what he could become. Oturu barely attempted 3-point shots and he wasn't great in the mid-range. You're also expecting a center to become a great offensive player. What elite offensive skill does Oturu have? I don't think Oturu is a bad prospect but they're a few other prospects I'd rather have at 20. Maybe you want to draft a big man at 20 that averages 10 PPG and plays mediocre defense but that's not what I want this organization to do.

I don't do draft big boards.
twix2500
RealGM
Posts: 16,498
And1: 11,806
Joined: Dec 25, 2003
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft - We have a FRP!....for now 

Post#526 » by twix2500 » Sun Sep 6, 2020 3:16 am

Feel_the_Heat15 wrote:Most of these prospects show potential either offensively or defensively, but how much potential are they showing? Bam was already there defensively and Oturu wasn't. Zion was drafted #1 because he consistently showed you what he could become. Oturu barely attempted 3-point shots and he wasn't great in the mid-range. You're also expecting a center to become a great offensive player. What elite offensive skill does Oturu have? I don't think Oturu is a bad prospect but they're a few other prospects I'd rather have at 20. Maybe you want to draft a big man at 20 that averages 10 PPG and plays mediocre defense but that's not what I want this organization to do.

I don't do draft big boards.


So you gonna criticize people willing to take Oturu and say you have players ranked higher but do not want to reveal your ranking? Ok gotcha
Feel_the_Heat15
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,017
And1: 3,267
Joined: Jun 22, 2015
       

Re: 2020 NBA Draft - We have a FRP!....for now 

Post#527 » by Feel_the_Heat15 » Sun Sep 6, 2020 3:30 pm

twix2500 wrote:
Feel_the_Heat15 wrote:Most of these prospects show potential either offensively or defensively, but how much potential are they showing? Bam was already there defensively and Oturu wasn't. Zion was drafted #1 because he consistently showed you what he could become. Oturu barely attempted 3-point shots and he wasn't great in the mid-range. You're also expecting a center to become a great offensive player. What elite offensive skill does Oturu have? I don't think Oturu is a bad prospect but they're a few other prospects I'd rather have at 20. Maybe you want to draft a big man at 20 that averages 10 PPG and plays mediocre defense but that's not what I want this organization to do.

I don't do draft big boards.


So you gonna criticize people willing to take Oturu and say you have players ranked higher but do not want to reveal your ranking? Ok gotcha


I'm not criticizing people, I'm criticizing the opinions that people have.
twix2500
RealGM
Posts: 16,498
And1: 11,806
Joined: Dec 25, 2003
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft - We have a FRP!....for now 

Post#528 » by twix2500 » Sun Sep 6, 2020 4:26 pm

Feel_the_Heat15 wrote:
twix2500 wrote:
Feel_the_Heat15 wrote:Most of these prospects show potential either offensively or defensively, but how much potential are they showing? Bam was already there defensively and Oturu wasn't. Zion was drafted #1 because he consistently showed you what he could become. Oturu barely attempted 3-point shots and he wasn't great in the mid-range. You're also expecting a center to become a great offensive player. What elite offensive skill does Oturu have? I don't think Oturu is a bad prospect but they're a few other prospects I'd rather have at 20. Maybe you want to draft a big man at 20 that averages 10 PPG and plays mediocre defense but that's not what I want this organization to do.

I don't do draft big boards.


So you gonna criticize people willing to take Oturu and say you have players ranked higher but do not want to reveal your ranking? Ok gotcha


I'm not criticizing people, I'm criticizing the opinions that people have.


I know Im wasting my time. You are saying YOU got players ranked higher but in the same breath say you do not rank players? In order for us to understand your opinion that at 20 is too high, we have to understand how you are ranking players up to at least 20. You want to understand us but give us nothing on how you are coming to your conclusion. Explain yourself and then your questions can be properly addressed.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Feel_the_Heat15
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,017
And1: 3,267
Joined: Jun 22, 2015
       

Re: 2020 NBA Draft - We have a FRP!....for now 

Post#529 » by Feel_the_Heat15 » Sun Sep 6, 2020 5:35 pm

twix2500 wrote:
Feel_the_Heat15 wrote:
twix2500 wrote:
So you gonna criticize people willing to take Oturu and say you have players ranked higher but do not want to reveal your ranking? Ok gotcha


I'm not criticizing people, I'm criticizing the opinions that people have.


I know Im wasting my time. You are saying YOU got players ranked higher but in the same breath say you do not rank players? In order for us to understand your opinion that at 20 is too high, we have to understand how you are ranking players up to at least 20. You want to understand us but give us nothing on how you are coming to your conclusion. Explain yourself and then your questions can be properly addressed.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk


I never said I don't rank players, I said "I don't do draft big boards". I've already said multiple times which players I like in this draft for the Heat.
Feel_the_Heat15
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,017
And1: 3,267
Joined: Jun 22, 2015
       

Re: 2020 NBA Draft - We have a FRP!....for now 

Post#530 » by Feel_the_Heat15 » Sun Sep 6, 2020 6:07 pm

Not enamored with Tre Jones but if the Heat were to draft him it'd make some sense. We need more defense at the guard positions. Safe pick.


Read on Twitter
twix2500
RealGM
Posts: 16,498
And1: 11,806
Joined: Dec 25, 2003
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft - We have a FRP!....for now 

Post#531 » by twix2500 » Sun Sep 6, 2020 7:24 pm

Feel_the_Heat15 wrote:
twix2500 wrote:
Feel_the_Heat15 wrote:
I'm not criticizing people, I'm criticizing the opinions that people have.


I know Im wasting my time. You are saying YOU got players ranked higher but in the same breath say you do not rank players? In order for us to understand your opinion that at 20 is too high, we have to understand how you are ranking players up to at least 20. You want to understand us but give us nothing on how you are coming to your conclusion. Explain yourself and then your questions can be properly addressed.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk


I never said I don't rank players, I said "I don't do draft big boards". I've already said multiple times which players I like in this draft for the Heat.


I asked you to rank your players 1-25. I didn't ask for a mock draft. Rank them. Go ahead.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
User avatar
Rafly
Starter
Posts: 2,415
And1: 10,431
Joined: Dec 28, 2016
 

Re: 2020 NBA Draft - We have a FRP!....for now 

Post#532 » by Rafly » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:50 am

Something to keep an eye on. We know Jimmy is going to have a lot of say in the players that are brought on. And we’ll Jimmy is apparently a big fan of the Jones family. He’s great friends with Tyus Jones and he actually went to go see Tre Jones play when he was in high school. Tre seems like the kind of guy who will fit in culturally as well so I think it’s time we start considering him a lot more.

Here is a quote from Butler last year about going to a game that had Zion, Reddish, Barrett and Tre.

“I’m here for Tre,” Butler told Jeff Goodman of Watch Stadium at halftime. “That’s my guy.”
lastb1ckman
Ballboy
Posts: 14
And1: 6
Joined: Jul 31, 2020
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft - We have a FRP!....for now 

Post#533 » by lastb1ckman » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:15 pm

Rafly wrote:Something to keep an eye on. We know Jimmy is going to have a lot of say in the players that are brought on. And we’ll Jimmy is apparently a big fan of the Jones family. He’s great friends with Tyus Jones and he actually went to go see Tre Jones play when he was in high school. Tre seems like the kind of guy who will fit in culturally as well so I think it’s time we start considering him a lot more.

Here is a quote from Butler last year about going to a game that had Zion, Reddish, Barrett and Tre.

“I’m here for Tre,” Butler told Jeff Goodman of Watch Stadium at halftime. “That’s my guy.”


To be honest, Tre Jones would probably thrive on the Heat. Great BBIQ, good motor, ballhawk, good playmaker, takes care of the ball, shows potential as a shooter, and didn't waver under the bright lights at Duke. He even has experience playing effectively with high usage stars. I can imagine inserting him into the rotation, defending the Vanfleets and Kembas of the world, and taking up playmaking duties with Herro when Jimmy, Bam, Dragic aren't on the floor. I don't see star potential, but I see a quality nba player who helps contenders win championships.

Hell, after a few seasons with the development team, I'd say he'd be a good starting pg for the Heat. Just in time for Bam's DPOY campaign and Herro's first all star selection :D. With a non lottery pick in a down draft, that seems like a great outcome.
User avatar
RexBoyWonder
RealGM
Posts: 13,197
And1: 23,006
Joined: Mar 03, 2011

Re: 2020 NBA Draft - We have a FRP!....for now 

Post#534 » by RexBoyWonder » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:30 am

DayofMourning wrote:
Feel_the_Heat15 wrote:
DayofMourning wrote:
I've got blinders on this year. Pretty much only looking at bigs. I remember the last time I did that, and we drafted a front court instead of a backcourt like I was expecting. That was Bam. Turned out pretty good. I've got a high level of trust in the Heat drafting players. They just dont value the picks as much as other teams so we rarely have them in the Riley era.

Having said that, maybe Kira is a guy I will overlook and he will be great if we draft him. I knew well enough about Bam predraft, can't say the same about Kira.


Bam had the upside of a top 5 pick, Kentucky just hid it very well. There isn't a big man we could draft right now that is equal in terms of upside to Kentucky Bam except maybe Pokusevski.


I like Poku very much. I think this is the draft that a guy like that goes early though.



So who you got for us this year DOM

realistic answer please DOM
Chalm Downs wrote:his nickname is boywonder ffs
User avatar
RexBoyWonder
RealGM
Posts: 13,197
And1: 23,006
Joined: Mar 03, 2011

Re: 2020 NBA Draft - We have a FRP!....for now 

Post#535 » by RexBoyWonder » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:36 am

I'll put this out here : this draft will lilkely be bonkers.

The very limited games sample size to analyze will create some sure disastee - i expect an EXTRA DOSE of busts and maybe a few hidden gems sliding way down to the 20's.

Can we capitalize?

Is there another Herro/Bam type pick out there for us? Seems unlikely but it could be huge for us going forward with the cap getting smaller.
Chalm Downs wrote:his nickname is boywonder ffs
twix2500
RealGM
Posts: 16,498
And1: 11,806
Joined: Dec 25, 2003
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft - We have a FRP!....for now 

Post#536 » by twix2500 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:08 pm

I'm curious are they gonna let the Heat do individual workouts for players. The last player the Heat drafted that they did not workout was Winslow.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
dolphinatik
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,837
And1: 2,228
Joined: Oct 20, 2008
     

Re: 2020 NBA Draft - We have a FRP!....for now 

Post#537 » by dolphinatik » Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:38 pm

why am i getting bad flashbacks of Shabazz Napier with Tre Jones. Do not want no matter who on the team likes him. I also think 1/2 the guys we like are going to go higher than projected like Sadd Bey and Patrick Williams are shooting up draft boards.
1. Herro 2. Bol Bol 3. Seko 4. Bruno
unless we trade up for Barrett or trade down for PJ Washington
twix2500
RealGM
Posts: 16,498
And1: 11,806
Joined: Dec 25, 2003
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft - We have a FRP!....for now 

Post#538 » by twix2500 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:55 pm

dolphinatik wrote:why am i getting bad flashbacks of Shabazz Napier with Tre Jones. Do not want no matter who on the team likes him. I also think 1/2 the guys we like are going to go higher than projected like Sadd Bey and Patrick Williams are shooting up draft boards.


These draft sites are pure guessing. The changes you see since the college season ended, is just the site making changes to give you reason to look. They are not getting any information since the college season was stopped. Most of these sites were getting zero info anyways. Their mock drafts is just as good as Feel_the_Heat secret draft board. Draftexpress was one of the few with connections and they got their info during the combine.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
lastb1ckman
Ballboy
Posts: 14
And1: 6
Joined: Jul 31, 2020
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft - We have a FRP!....for now 

Post#539 » by lastb1ckman » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:40 pm

dolphinatik wrote:why am i getting bad flashbacks of Shabazz Napier with Tre Jones. Do not want no matter who on the team likes him. I also think 1/2 the guys we like are going to go higher than projected like Sadd Bey and Patrick Williams are shooting up draft boards.


Shabazz Napier? Why him? Outside of maybe size, they have completely different games. And to be honest, Jones has several inches on Naiper in height and length.

Besides, Shabazz actually became a decent player after he left the Heat. I think the Heat just didn't have the patience they have now with development. Though if you're hoping the Heat find another potential star in this draft, I can understand not wanting Tre Jones.
twix2500
RealGM
Posts: 16,498
And1: 11,806
Joined: Dec 25, 2003
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft - We have a FRP!....for now 

Post#540 » by twix2500 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:13 pm

lastb1ckman wrote:
dolphinatik wrote:why am i getting bad flashbacks of Shabazz Napier with Tre Jones. Do not want no matter who on the team likes him. I also think 1/2 the guys we like are going to go higher than projected like Sadd Bey and Patrick Williams are shooting up draft boards.


Shabazz Napier? Why him? Outside of maybe size, they have completely different games. And to be honest, Jones has several inches on Naiper in height and length.

Besides, Shabazz actually became a decent player after he left the Heat. I think the Heat just didn't have the patience they have now with development. Though if you're hoping the Heat find another potential star in this draft, I can understand not wanting Tre Jones.
I think Tre is a solid prospect. Might be a little high at 20. But would not be upset. I'm on the line of thinking getting BPA because I'm confident there will be a trade or two for the Heat. So looking to fill a hole during the draft might be pointless because holes will be filled and new holes will open after trades. Plus do not believe its likely that a rookie will get a big role next season.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Return to Miami Heat