ImageImageImage

2020 NBA Draft - We have a FRP!....for now

Moderators: KingDavid, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside

twix2500
RealGM
And1: 22,248

Re: 2020 NBA Draft - We have a FRP!....for now 

Post#821 » by twix2500 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:21 am

DALLAS - Iowa State point guard Tyrese Halliburton and Villanova forward Saddiq Bey are scheduled for pre-NBA Draft visits on Thursday with the Dallas Mavericks, according to league sources
https://www.si.com/nba/mavericks/news/nba-draft-the-dallas-mavs-are-hosting-tyrese-halliburton-saddiq-bey-per-sources

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
QUIZ
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 78,761

Post#822 » by QUIZ » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:13 am

twix2500 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Maxey at the KlutchSports workout

Full video if anyone wants.
Don’t let us get one. — Nikola Jovic

Dru Smith very lucky he got that 500k this year. He should invest and manage a subway after all this-MettaWorldPanda
Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 71,934

Post#823 » by Wiltside » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:52 am

twix2500 wrote:
DALLAS - Iowa State point guard Tyrese Halliburton and Villanova forward Saddiq Bey are scheduled for pre-NBA Draft visits on Thursday with the Dallas Mavericks, according to league sources
https://www.si.com/nba/mavericks/news/nba-draft-the-dallas-mavs-are-hosting-tyrese-halliburton-saddiq-bey-per-sources

Very interesting that Haliburton is meeting with Dallas.

Given their FRP is at #18, either his stock is not as high as many are predicting, or Dallas is attempting to move up considerably (they have trading history with Atlanta, so perhaps that's where the smoke is).

Bey is more likely a late lotto pick, so they may be looking at New Orleans or Sacramento as trading partners also.
Formerly BG44, MB30 and Wade County at BasketballForum.com
RexBoyWonder
RealGM
And1: 33,433

Post#824 » by RexBoyWonder » Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:52 am

Beenie wrote:
twix2500 wrote:
RexBoyWonder wrote:
He's old as **** for a rook but my god, he looks like more athletic Harden.

Seriously, the way he moves and finishes, those step backs...pretty amazing film.
I swear all of you have Gerontophobia. I don't know when being in your early 20s is too freaking old or getting a degree before going pro is too old. I know im old but I remember a player leaving as a junior was considered coming out early.

Grant Hill and Dwyane Wade was 22 years old when they entered the NBA. CMon bruh

I feel the same about your point as a fellow old head : )

And Nunn was an old rook; 24 or 25, to give a recent and nonsuperstar example. Heat fans, particularly early in the season, had no problems with his age then.

Sometimes the talent is just more important then the age.

But age is ALWAYS a huge factor when projecting prospects.

We drafted Herro based on his play as a 18 YO.
Grant Riller is alomst 24 YO.

If we send Herro back to play college ball in 2023, how good will he look? How efficient?

As good as the Miller's of the world look, a 23/24 year old isn't going to grow and improve nearly as much as a 19 YO. So unless you think the older prospect is good enough RIGHT NOW to be a good NBA player, you should pause.

That Miller video is amazing, I'm just skeptical his game will translate against NBA defenses. But it might to a degree. It's an interesting conversation to have at least.
Chalm Downs wrote:his nickname is boywonder ffs
RexBoyWonder
RealGM

Post#825 » by RexBoyWonder » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:26 am

I Wish I trusted Zeke Nnaji jump shot enough to be excited about him. I just don't.

We can't put a non shooter next to Bam and Jimmy, just can't.

You willing to gamble the pick on a Bam backup if the outside doesn't pan out?
RexBoyWonder
RealGM

Post#826 » by RexBoyWonder » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:32 am

1. Jalen Smith

2. Kira Lewis

3. Tyrell Terry

4. Cole Antony

5. Immanuel Quickley

Hoping at least 3 of them are available at #20.
twix2500
RealGM

Post#827 » by twix2500 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:55 am

RexBoyWonder wrote:
Beenie wrote:
twix2500 wrote:I swear all of you have Gerontophobia. I don't know when being in your early 20s is too freaking old or getting a degree before going pro is too old. I know im old but I remember a player leaving as a junior was considered coming out early.

Grant Hill and Dwyane Wade was 22 years old when they entered the NBA. CMon bruh

I feel the same about your point as a fellow old head : )

And Nunn was an old rook; 24 or 25, to give a recent and nonsuperstar example. Heat fans, particularly early in the season, had no problems with his age then.

Sometimes the talent is just more important then the age.

But age is ALWAYS a huge factor when projecting prospects.

We drafted Herro based on his play as a 18 YO.
Grant Riller is alomst 24 YO.

If we send Herro back to play college ball in 2023, how good will he look? How efficient?

As good as the Miller's of the world look, a 23/24 year old isn't going to grow and improve nearly as much as a 19 YO. So unless you think the older prospect is good enough RIGHT NOW to be a good NBA player, you should pause.

That Miller video is amazing, I'm just skeptical his game will translate against NBA defenses. But it might to a degree. It's an interesting conversation to have at least.

Thats where I disagree with you. Younger doesn't mean you will do anything. It doesn't mean you know anything. It doesn't mean you have more potential. There is no automatic linear improvement. Every player develops at a different rate and its not linear. Players usually improve by jumps with long periods of improvement being a flatline and even periods of improvement getting worse. And players do not start at an equal level.

Being 19 does not what so ever mean you will improve more than a 24 yr old. All it does is give you an excuse why you're not as good as a 24 yr old. The potential to improve should be based on physical talent and work ethics. Age only gives you possibly more TIME to improve before the body (physical talent) starts to breakdown.

Riller can very well be a better player than Herro as a rookie. We don't know that. If Riller has the physical talent, the IQ and the work ethics to make it in the NBA at some level, his age is pointless. In fact his age is a bonus to scouts because you have actual plenty of game tape to evaluate his development. When a player is younger with less game tape, you have to guess on how he MIGHT develop and work.

In regards to Heat drafting Herro. His age didn't mean squat. What helped Herro was Riley trust in the Kentucky coaching staff combined with his private workouts. We just dealt with Winslow all these years. Hoping after brick after brick, hoping, debated on what hair style he wore, gave him nicknames, made theme songs and hashtags to keep our hopes alive. Finally had a stretch in his 4th season that showed promise and then start bricking again. We kept giving EXCUSES for Winslow because of his age.

Before Winslow we had Beasley (20) and Dorrell (19). Who couldn't surpass Haslem (23 yrs old) or Chalmers (22 yrs old) as players. Dorrell and Beasley were both 100x more physically talented than Herro.

I get many hold sentimental value watching a kid become a man. Which is fine but it seems its getting to a point where some are discriminating against talent because of their age.

SA37
RealGM
And1: 7,158

Post#828 » by SA37 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:52 am

twix2500 wrote:
Being 19 does not what so ever mean you will improve more than a 24 yr old. All it does is give you an excuse why you're not as good as a 24 yr old. The potential to improve should be based on physical talent and work ethics. Age only gives you possibly more TIME to improve before the body (physical talent) starts to breakdown.

Riller can very well be a better player than Herro as a rookie. We don't know that. If Riller has the physical talent, the IQ and the work ethics to make it in the NBA at some level, his age is pointless. In fact his age is a bonus to scouts because you have actual plenty of game tape to evaluate his development. When a player is younger with less game tape, you have to guess on how he MIGHT develop and work.

In regards to Heat drafting Herro. His age didn't mean squat. What helped Herro was Riley trust in the Kentucky coaching staff combined with his private workouts. We just dealt with Winslow all these years. Hoping after brick after brick, hoping, debated on what hair style he wore, gave him nicknames, made theme songs and hashtags to keep our hopes alive. Finally had a stretch in his 4th season that showed promise and then start bricking again. We kept giving EXCUSES for Winslow because of his age.

Before Winslow we had Beasley (20) and Dorrell (19). Who couldn't surpass Haslem (23 yrs old) or Chalmers (22 yrs old) as players. Dorrell and Beasley were both 100x more physically talented than Herro.

I get many hold sentimental value watching a kid become a man. Which is fine but it seems its getting to a point where some are discriminating against talent because of their age.

The draft has created this expectation of finding a star, not finding a good rotation player or a solid NBA starter. This creates enormous pressure to take risks on unproven talent, lest you miss the next Tracy McGrady, Kobe Bryant, Amare Stoudamire, Kevin Garnett...etc (of course, for everyone of those, there are lots of Stromile Swifts, Eddy Currys, and Tyson Chandlers)

There are so many unknowns and variables to consider. Sometimes that is because there are questions about their physical traits (height, athleticism), their lack of competition in college/Europe (think Lillard and Curry), and the risk/reward factor with taking the unpolished player vs a more NBA ready guy.

Picking lower in the draft means less expectations. Miami was thrilled to get Winslow because the general consensus was he was a guy who would have been a top-3/5 pick if he had stayed one more year; to get him at 10 was "a steal," from that perspective.

With #20, there is no expectation Miami will even get a rotation player. Choosing a player with "raw" talent gives the fan base more hope than choosing a "safer" known player; if the "raw" talent doesn't pan out, no one is going to feel like Miami missed out on much unless there is a Tony Parker or Manu Ginobili who gets picked later. But hindsight is 20/20 and no one is going to blame a team much for not drafting a player another 20-25 teams passed on. No fan is lamenting not having found Haslem or Whiteside, like Miami did; they start lamenting when it becomes a pattern, like San Antonio and, more recently, Miami has done.
radikalBaller
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,324

Post#829 » by radikalBaller » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:22 pm

Players realisticaly likely to be there at 20 we are right at a tier change, drafting 4-5 spot higher would have made a nice difference:

Theo Maledon
Desmond Bane
Daniel Oturu
Zeke Nnaji
Paul Reed
Grant Riler
Immannuel Quickly
Cassius winston
Tyler bey
Josh green
Cassius winston
Jahmius ramsey
Robert woodward
Isea Steward
Tre Jones
Reggy Perry
Xavier Tillman
Isea Joe

Player that could slip to 20 :

Jaden Smith
Cole Anthony
Tiler Terry
Tirese Maxey
Preciuis achiwa
radikalBaller
Lead Assistant

Post#830 » by radikalBaller » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:27 pm

RexBoyWonder wrote:1. Jalen Smith

2. Kira Lewis

3. Tyrell Terry

4. Cole Antony

5. Immanuel Quickley

Hoping at least 3 of them are available at #20.

I hope not, but first 3 are very likely to be gone by the 20th pick
radikalBaller
Lead Assistant

Post#831 » by radikalBaller » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:35 pm

Realistic selections I like:

Zeke Nnaji could fit next to bam if the jumper and foot speed is real

Immanuel Quickley, pure shooter, prob best after nesmith, good defensive potential at guard.

Grant Riller, talented scorer with nice moves

Paul Reed, foot speed looks real to spare bam defensive presence

Desmond bane, pure shooter with versatility to defend wings and guards

Robert Woodard athletic high IQ 3&D 6-7 with 7-1 wingspan, can defend 1 through 4, shot the 3 very well, and can block shots
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 79,953

Post#832 » by DayofMourning » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:49 pm

RexBoyWonder wrote:I Wish I trusted Zeke Nnaji jump shot enough to be excited about him. I just don't.

We can't put a non shooter next to Bam and Jimmy, just can't.

You willing to gamble the pick on a Bam backup if the outside doesn't pan out?

He's a very good midrange shooter. Not sure why you don't trust his shot. It just needs to be more consistent in some spots. I know the death knell for many a draft prospect is if they can't shoot 45% from three, but there's a lot of basketball to be played outside of that shot.

Here's a nice breakdown on him:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/stats.nba.com/amp/2020-nba-draft-profile-zeke-nnaji
twix2500
RealGM

Post#833 » by twix2500 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:58 pm

I think not having a combine to see Riller measure up against draft prospects gonna really hurt him. Now i think when you get him in camp, he gonna pick things up faster than most rookies.

radikalBaller
Lead Assistant

Post#834 » by radikalBaller » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:02 pm

Hi guys,we haven't talked about this prospect much, but Robert Woodward looks pretty good:

Mississippi State’s Robert Woodard II has the tools to succeed in today’s NBA. He’s a rangy wing with amazing size — 6’7” with a 7’1” wingspan — which he uses to defend multiple positions. He also improved on his jumper, as his percentage rose from 27.3% to 42.9%. That astronomical jump landed him on NBA radars, as there aren’t many wings with his size with his shooting touch.

twix2500
RealGM

Post#835 » by twix2500 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:03 pm

radikalBaller wrote:Hi guys,we haven't talked about this prospect much, but Robert Woodward looks pretty good:

Mississippi State’s Robert Woodard II has the tools to succeed in today’s NBA. He’s a rangy wing with amazing size — 6’7” with a 7’1” wingspan — which he uses to defend multiple positions. He also improved on his jumper, as his percentage rose from 27.3% to 42.9%. That astronomical jump landed him on NBA radars, as there aren’t many wings with his size with his shooting touch.

I have, Feel_the_Heat15 blasted me and said he's not worth drafting

radikalBaller
Lead Assistant

Post#836 » by radikalBaller » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:08 pm

twix2500 wrote:
radikalBaller wrote:Hi guys,we haven't talked about this prospect much, but Robert Woodward looks pretty good:

I have, Feel_the_Heat15 blasted me and said he's not worth drafting

He has that young Ariza vibe as a lenghty strong athlete, able to defend 1 through 4 and shoot the 3 well, get still, and block shots, high BBIQ. I like the fit with Bam...

USA Basketball staff members rave about his intangibles and work ethic, which is a great sign for his future.

I think both Paul Reed and Woddward are underated is anything, tyler bey prob too
radikalBaller
Lead Assistant

Post#837 » by radikalBaller » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:15 pm

QUIZ
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 78,761

Post#838 » by QUIZ » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:59 pm

Maxey carried himself well in this game.
Don’t let us get one. — Nikola Jovic

Dru Smith very lucky he got that 500k this year. He should invest and manage a subway after all this-MettaWorldPanda
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 79,953

Post#839 » by DayofMourning » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:43 pm

Really like Maxey.
Beenie
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,336

Post#840 » by Beenie » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:17 pm