ImageImageImage

Around the NBA streets Vol. 5: ONE MORE TIME

Moderators: BFRESH44, Wiltside, MettaWorldPanda, heat4life, IggieCC

eddieheatfan
Head Coach
Posts: 7,087
And1: 14,498
Joined: Nov 07, 2014
   

Re: Around the NBA streets Vol. 5: ONE MORE TIME 

Post#1841 » by eddieheatfan » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:18 am

miamivice wrote:
eddieheatfan wrote:
Umbooki wrote:I’m okay with this.
i'm not,i look for sports for distractions not political propaganda or grandstanding


ew. who cares what you look for? these are people not objects for your amusement.
last time i checked these people play for entertainment and they get payed handsomely for it to boot.if they feel so strongly about social causes how come they dont give half of their salaries to impoverished black people,i mean they believe in equality right but no this is just a PR stunt because orange bad man and is an election year.its hypocrisy at its finest and nobody will benefit from them not playing.


silver and bussiness owners can allow to run their business to the ground but please stop being hypocrite

dont get me wrong i am all for protesting but do it without burning businesses and destroying property.

lastly,there so much racism that a black man was elected president 2 terms ago and police brutality still happened and yet the NBA didnt care.
Image
oreon
Pro Prospect
Posts: 819
And1: 1,980
Joined: Jun 18, 2018

Re: Around the NBA streets Vol. 5: ONE MORE TIME 

Post#1842 » by oreon » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:34 am

Bishop45 wrote:
oreon wrote:
Bishop45 wrote:'Keep ya politics out ma sports!'

Says person who could give a phuck about the agency of the players that actually play the game. If you don't get why they're sitting out-- that's why, you should applaud them for not aiding your ignorance with another distraction. What you will do with that information is up to you tho


People who don't see the way players do won't change their minds because of a boycott. Sure the boycott will bring some attention to it but it will be eclipsed by the election and covid 19 talk in the news cycle.
If there really want to see policy and action change. Do what Lebron is doing in mobilizing people to vote. There's millions of people who feel the same way who didn't vote last time.
If the players leave the bubble and go to street and protests, I think that would have minimal effect. If they leave and start getting involved in the election and get people that support their views at the local, state and federal level that will have a bigger impact.

Now I may be biased. I'd like for the playoffs to continue and as well for players to follow Bron and get involved in election to push for change that way.

If they leave more power to them. I just hope they understand the ramifications of leaving. They will loose more money and will have more restrictions on player movement.


If it has minimal effect then so be it, any support or/and advocacy, for any issue, matters. Systemic racism, or anything systemic at all, works like a Rube Goldberg machine where all the parts are important. We wouldn't be talking about this if it didn't matter. People said Kaepernick kneeling during the anthem didn't matter, and we're here in part because it mattered.

Yes, you are biased; you want the season to continue for the virtue of your entertainment, they've stopped playing to point out that this matters more(to them especially, andit should to you). You have fans like MorbidHeat who's claimed that he's been able to watch the NBA though the players and their progressivism have been an annoyance, and suddenly now his whole world has moved. The change starts in the hearts and minds of people before they're reflected at the ballot box. Even if he's disaffected by their gestures he knows now and that's a powerful message


As I've said, I'm pro their message. We had protests for a two months now and that didn't change anything. Not being cynical, the videos are everywhere. If that doesn't change your mind, players protests won't. I think there's enough young ppl who feel the same and sat out last time. And the players should focus on doing what Bron is and get them to vote. If next year a certain someone is still in office, none of these will matter.
And im being honest by admitting I'd like continue to see the playoffs. Part of is selfish but also we know what's gonna happen if they leave. The CBA will be ripped apart and the owners are gonna push for a hard cap. I like the league the way it. I think the games can still continue and the players can have an impact by getting involved in the elections.

If they choose to leave, I won't begrudge them. They have my support regardless.
User avatar
miamivice
Pro Prospect
Posts: 941
And1: 206
Joined: Apr 15, 2006
 

Re: Around the NBA streets Vol. 5: ONE MORE TIME 

Post#1843 » by miamivice » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:45 am

eddieheatfan wrote:
miamivice wrote:
eddieheatfan wrote:i'm not,i look for sports for distractions not political propaganda or grandstanding


ew. who cares what you look for? these are people not objects for your amusement.
last time i checked these people play for entertainment and they get payed handsomely for it to boot.if they feel so strongly about social causes how come they dont give half of their salaries to impoverished black people,i mean they believe in equality right but no this is just a PR stunt because orange bad man and is an election year.its hypocrisy at its finest and nobody will benefit from them not playing.


silver and bussiness owners can allow to run their business to the ground but please stop being hypocrite

dont get me wrong i am all for protesting but do it without burning businesses and destroying property.

lastly,there so much racism that a black man was elected president 2 terms ago and police brutality still happened and yet the NBA didnt care.


a. this "pr stunt" is more effective than donating half their salary as it unifies the players' voices and focuses it like a laser beam on this issue in a venue where people actually pay attention. you being annoyed that there's no bball tonight is the point. maybe take the next step and meditate on what brought us here instead.

b. trump has stoked this fire instead of looking to unite and this issue has come to a head. sorry it inconveniences you to miss a minimum of one day of sports. but, this is bigger than sports. people are dying.

c. protestors are not rioters/looters. protesting is legal and a protected form of expression. nobody is condoning destruction of property. maybe reconcile your dissatisfaction with property destruction with the loss of life due to police brutality/disenfranchisement of black lives.

d. blaming the ineffectiveness of stopping police brutality/racial inequality in the past is no excuse to not take action now. if you agree that this is an issue that needs to be fixed, welcome it now that it is in the foreground and not relegated to the periphery. blaming obama for not fixing it during his term because he's black is a false equivalence. i remember him making an emotional appeal after trayvon martin was murdered. there's only so much one person can do to stop bad things from happening. if you agree this is a bad thing, then let's take advantage that it is now in the public's consciousness and find solutions instead of being a baby about not being entertained.
User avatar
dean456
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,803
And1: 3,108
Joined: Jul 04, 2017
 

Re: Around the NBA streets Vol. 5: ONE MORE TIME 

Post#1844 » by dean456 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:56 am

eddieheatfan wrote:last time i checked these people play for entertainment and they get payed handsomely for it to boot.if they feel so strongly about social causes how come they dont give half of their salaries to impoverished black people, i mean they believe in equality right but no this is just a PR stunt because orange bad man and is an election year.its hypocrisy at its finest and nobody will benefit from them not playing.


silver and bussiness owners can allow to run their business to the ground but please stop being hypocrite

dont get me wrong i am all for protesting but do it without burning businesses and destroying property.

lastly,there so much racism that a black man was elected president 2 terms ago and police brutality still happened and yet the NBA didnt care.


Read on Twitter


I don't think they are having a conference call with the Attorney General and Lieutenant Governor if they don't boycott.

Who gives a damn if they play for entertainment? Or get paid well to do so? These players are expressing themselves to inspire change because like many others they are sick of hearing the same stories over and over again. These players give plenty back to their communities in money, time and energy. To say that they should give half their salaries to impoverished black people if they care about equality is absolutely ridiculous.

One black president isn't going to change things across the country on a systematic level. It's still a democracy he's not a dictator who can just change everything to the way he likes it. It's going to take people like you frankly changing their attitude towards this type of behaviour so its not normalised or excused. Put yourself in any of these victims shoes and ask yourself whether you would think it was justified to be shot 7 times in the back in front of your kids when you are unarmed?

It's crazy to me how many Americans are so stubborn in the face of their own people being shot and/or killed. Americans supposed to be patriotic yet will allow killings of their own citizens and try to excuse it or deflect to defend their own political stance so frequently. Where is your humanity?
User avatar
Bishop45
RealGM
Posts: 28,789
And1: 96,085
Joined: Apr 22, 2015
 

Re: Around the NBA streets Vol. 5: ONE MORE TIME 

Post#1845 » by Bishop45 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:57 am

Webber and Ariel basically said it, wnba players have been unapologetic and I love it.

Read on Twitter


Long Live Winnie. Mamba siempre

Rest in Power Chadwick

:rocking:
User avatar
IggieCC
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
Posts: 45,681
And1: 211,605
Joined: Apr 14, 2014
Location: Beno Udrih Stats
 

Re: Around the NBA streets Vol. 5: ONE MORE TIME 

Post#1846 » by IggieCC » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:03 am

Read on Twitter

Iggy VP on call
Image
The Biggest Fan
User avatar
IggieCC
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
Posts: 45,681
And1: 211,605
Joined: Apr 14, 2014
Location: Beno Udrih Stats
 

Re: Around the NBA streets Vol. 5: ONE MORE TIME 

Post#1847 » by IggieCC » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:06 am

Read on Twitter

Some players' heads (ex George Hill) are clearly not in the bubble anymore, I don't know how they could go on tbh
Image
The Biggest Fan
eddieheatfan
Head Coach
Posts: 7,087
And1: 14,498
Joined: Nov 07, 2014
   

Re: Around the NBA streets Vol. 5: ONE MORE TIME 

Post#1848 » by eddieheatfan » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:59 am

dean456 wrote:
eddieheatfan wrote:last time i checked these people play for entertainment and they get payed handsomely for it to boot.if they feel so strongly about social causes how come they dont give half of their salaries to impoverished black people, i mean they believe in equality right but no this is just a PR stunt because orange bad man and is an election year.its hypocrisy at its finest and nobody will benefit from them not playing.


silver and bussiness owners can allow to run their business to the ground but please stop being hypocrite

dont get me wrong i am all for protesting but do it without burning businesses and destroying property.

lastly,there so much racism that a black man was elected president 2 terms ago and police brutality still happened and yet the NBA didnt care.


Read on Twitter


I don't think they are having a conference call with the Attorney General and Lieutenant Governor if they don't boycott.

Who gives a damn if they play for entertainment? Or get paid well to do so? These players are expressing themselves to inspire change because like many others they are sick of hearing the same stories over and over again. These players give plenty back to their communities in money, time and energy. To say that they should give half their salaries to impoverished black people if they care about equality is absolutely ridiculous.

One black president isn't going to change things across the country on a systematic level. It's still a democracy he's not a dictator who can just change everything to the way he likes it. It's going to take people like you frankly changing their attitude towards this type of behaviour so its not normalised or excused. Put yourself in any of these victims shoes and ask yourself whether you would think it was justified to be shot 7 times in the back in front of your kids when you are unarmed?

It's crazy to me how many Americans are so stubborn in the face of their own people being shot and/or killed. Americans supposed to be patriotic yet will allow killings of their own citizens and try to excuse it or deflect to defend their own political stance so frequently. Where is your humanity?
you are proving my point this is a political stunt and pr move.none of these people really care about anything but if you believe they do then that's your right to do so.they can talk that all they want but they cant change policy,only a jury and a judge can do so.








even the middle class blacks are leaving the ghettos for good,yup i can see a change and hope alright

sure they are giving alot of back in PR stunts,dont be naive.like i said let them give half of their billions to poor blacks if they really care...i wont hold my breath though
Image
User avatar
Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
Posts: 10,851
And1: 41,051
Joined: Sep 16, 2016

Re: Around the NBA streets Vol. 5: ONE MORE TIME 

Post#1849 » by Wiltside » Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:06 am

Damn CWebb got me in my feels.
Formerly BG44, MB30 and Wade County at BasketballForum.com
eddieheatfan
Head Coach
Posts: 7,087
And1: 14,498
Joined: Nov 07, 2014
   

Re: Around the NBA streets Vol. 5: ONE MORE TIME 

Post#1850 » by eddieheatfan » Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:10 am

miamivice wrote:
eddieheatfan wrote:
miamivice wrote:
ew. who cares what you look for? these are people not objects for your amusement.
last time i checked these people play for entertainment and they get payed handsomely for it to boot.if they feel so strongly about social causes how come they dont give half of their salaries to impoverished black people,i mean they believe in equality right but no this is just a PR stunt because orange bad man and is an election year.its hypocrisy at its finest and nobody will benefit from them not playing.


silver and bussiness owners can allow to run their business to the ground but please stop being hypocrite

dont get me wrong i am all for protesting but do it without burning businesses and destroying property.

lastly,there so much racism that a black man was elected president 2 terms ago and police brutality still happened and yet the NBA didnt care.


a. this "pr stunt" is more effective than donating half their salary as it unifies the players' voices and focuses it like a laser beam on this issue in a venue where people actually pay attention. you being annoyed that there's no bball tonight is the point. maybe take the next step and meditate on what brought us here instead.

b. trump has stoked this fire instead of looking to unite and this issue has come to a head. sorry it inconveniences you to miss a minimum of one day of sports. but, this is bigger than sports. people are dying.

c. protestors are not rioters/looters. protesting is legal and a protected form of expression. nobody is condoning destruction of property. maybe reconcile your dissatisfaction with property destruction with the loss of life due to police brutality/disenfranchisement of black lives.

d. blaming the ineffectiveness of stopping police brutality/racial inequality in the past is no excuse to not take action now. if you agree that this is an issue that needs to be fixed, welcome it now that it is in the foreground and not relegated to the periphery. blaming obama for not fixing it during his term because he's black is a false equivalence. i remember him making an emotional appeal after trayvon martin was murdered. there's only so much one person can do to stop bad things from happening. if you agree this is a bad thing, then let's take advantage that it is now in the public's consciousness and find solutions instead of being a baby about not being entertained.
i'm so sorry for you,but you are dead wrong and trump will likely get re-elected again if these people keep on rioting because nobody is going to vote for people that allow criminals to loot and burn cities because of politics.

this is no longer about some black man being killed randomly this is about the overthrow of the system by a gang of communist hooligans that belongs in jail.now if they were protesting peacefully i wouldnt have a problem with this but why go looting and burning cities and business in their own communities?

those people that lost their properties arent going to look favorable to their cause because they lost everything.

look nobody even cares about black on black crime which is a plenty. why the nba doesnt speak about this? there's plenty of it in baltimore,chicago and other places around the nation? do black lives really matters?? its just an empty slogan come on dude
Image
User avatar
goodboy
RealGM
Posts: 44,944
And1: 179,438
Joined: Aug 07, 2014
Location: Living rent free in Saltics heads
 

Re: Around the NBA streets Vol. 5: ONE MORE TIME 

Post#1851 » by goodboy » Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:14 am

Not to be insensitive about this, but this wont make any difference/change... Especially when it comes to Sports. It never has, never will.

Kaepernick tried, it failed, sure it got awareness but it lead to nowhere.

Just play the game. NBA is a global market, they're only hurting their brand by outside parties involved/viewership involved.
Jayson "he's only 19 :o" Tatum
User avatar
HeatFanLifer
Head Coach
Posts: 6,014
And1: 30,051
Joined: Oct 20, 2016

Re: Around the NBA streets Vol. 5: ONE MORE TIME 

Post#1852 » by HeatFanLifer » Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:29 am

goodboy wrote:Not to be insensitive about this, but this wont make any difference/change... Especially when it comes to Sports. It never has, never will.

Kaepernick tried, it failed, sure it got awareness but it lead to nowhere.

Just play the game. NBA is a global market, they're only hurting their brand by outside parties involved/viewership involved.


I think this whole movement has potential to make enormous gains for underserved communities. It already has spread massive awareness. We just need to do this under a platform of unity. Let’s get everyone together and find solutions. NBA is doing that right now with their meeting with Wisconsin leaders.
RexBoyWonder wrote:If we win the chip this year I will change my username to "Zo's lats".


IggieCC wrote:I'm gonna change my username to JeaCrowEatingClamChowder, AirP



Let’s goooo!
User avatar
goodboy
RealGM
Posts: 44,944
And1: 179,438
Joined: Aug 07, 2014
Location: Living rent free in Saltics heads
 

Re: Around the NBA streets Vol. 5: ONE MORE TIME 

Post#1853 » by goodboy » Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:50 am

HeatFanLifer wrote:
goodboy wrote:Not to be insensitive about this, but this wont make any difference/change... Especially when it comes to Sports. It never has, never will.

Kaepernick tried, it failed, sure it got awareness but it lead to nowhere.

Just play the game. NBA is a global market, they're only hurting their brand by outside parties involved/viewership involved.


I think this whole movement has potential to make enormous gains for underserved communities. It already has spread massive awareness. We just need to do this under a platform of unity. Let’s get everyone together and find solutions. NBA is doing that right now with their meeting with Wisconsin leaders.

I thought thats what NBA Cares is for? The community aspect. Which I know they're very active with any other sports, which is really nice.

But...

Isnt this about Police brutality?
Jayson "he's only 19 :o" Tatum
oreon
Pro Prospect
Posts: 819
And1: 1,980
Joined: Jun 18, 2018

Re: Around the NBA streets Vol. 5: ONE MORE TIME 

Post#1854 » by oreon » Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:58 am

Read on Twitter


Not to get ahead but not looking like games will resume.

Again I am pro players to do what they feel they need to do. They just need to be prepared for the CBA fight if playoffs are cancelled. And it may mean some of the richer guys like Lebron financially helping the ones on 10 days and the ones on their first contract. We know the ones will push for more money and a hard cap. Players won't have leverage as most of them can't afford financially to loose next season as well. The NBA will loose a lot of money but most of the losses will be felt by the lesser players and NBA team workers.
I hope Lebron as he pushed for this and his allstar buddies financially step up to help these people. I just don't see how there won't be another lockout unless owners are feeling gracious and don't retaliate in the CBA negotiations as a result.

Man it's been a crazy year and crazy day. Boycotts, protests, hurricane (anyone in the path stay safe)
oreon
Pro Prospect
Posts: 819
And1: 1,980
Joined: Jun 18, 2018

Re: Around the NBA streets Vol. 5: ONE MORE TIME 

Post#1855 » by oreon » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:01 am

Read on Twitter


Ok a bit more encouraging. Looks like they'll talk with the league and owners first.
User avatar
dean456
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,803
And1: 3,108
Joined: Jul 04, 2017
 

Re: Around the NBA streets Vol. 5: ONE MORE TIME 

Post#1856 » by dean456 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:01 am

eddieheatfan wrote:
dean456 wrote:
eddieheatfan wrote:last time i checked these people play for entertainment and they get payed handsomely for it to boot.if they feel so strongly about social causes how come they dont give half of their salaries to impoverished black people, i mean they believe in equality right but no this is just a PR stunt because orange bad man and is an election year.its hypocrisy at its finest and nobody will benefit from them not playing.


silver and bussiness owners can allow to run their business to the ground but please stop being hypocrite

dont get me wrong i am all for protesting but do it without burning businesses and destroying property.

lastly,there so much racism that a black man was elected president 2 terms ago and police brutality still happened and yet the NBA didnt care.


Read on Twitter


I don't think they are having a conference call with the Attorney General and Lieutenant Governor if they don't boycott.

Who gives a damn if they play for entertainment? Or get paid well to do so? These players are expressing themselves to inspire change because like many others they are sick of hearing the same stories over and over again. These players give plenty back to their communities in money, time and energy. To say that they should give half their salaries to impoverished black people if they care about equality is absolutely ridiculous.

One black president isn't going to change things across the country on a systematic level. It's still a democracy he's not a dictator who can just change everything to the way he likes it. It's going to take people like you frankly changing their attitude towards this type of behaviour so its not normalised or excused. Put yourself in any of these victims shoes and ask yourself whether you would think it was justified to be shot 7 times in the back in front of your kids when you are unarmed?

It's crazy to me how many Americans are so stubborn in the face of their own people being shot and/or killed. Americans supposed to be patriotic yet will allow killings of their own citizens and try to excuse it or deflect to defend their own political stance so frequently. Where is your humanity?
you are proving my point this is a political stunt and pr move.none of these people really care about anything but if you believe they do then that's your right to do so.they can talk that all they want but they cant change policy,only a jury and a judge can do so.








even the middle class blacks are leaving the ghettos for good,yup i can see a change and hope alright

sure they are giving alot of back in PR stunts,dont be naive.like i said let them give half of their billions to poor blacks if they really care...i wont hold my breath though


How at all does me saying the players are passionate about creating change in anyway they can prove that they don't care and that this is a PR move? Also what are you talking about "their billions" of dollars Lebron the highest earning player in the league overall by far and only has like a 450mil net worth... Also why is it somehow only up to the rich black men to help the black poor in your mind?

Even if they did give half their salary to these people you would still say some dumb **** like awww this is just another PR stunt... The players don't really care if they did they would give all their salaries to these people... If this is the way you feel I guess you are on board with every rich white man giving half of their earnings to every poor white person right?
User avatar
HeatFanLifer
Head Coach
Posts: 6,014
And1: 30,051
Joined: Oct 20, 2016

Re: Around the NBA streets Vol. 5: ONE MORE TIME 

Post#1857 » by HeatFanLifer » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:01 am

goodboy wrote:
HeatFanLifer wrote:
goodboy wrote:Not to be insensitive about this, but this wont make any difference/change... Especially when it comes to Sports. It never has, never will.

Kaepernick tried, it failed, sure it got awareness but it lead to nowhere.

Just play the game. NBA is a global market, they're only hurting their brand by outside parties involved/viewership involved.


I think this whole movement has potential to make enormous gains for underserved communities. It already has spread massive awareness. We just need to do this under a platform of unity. Let’s get everyone together and find solutions. NBA is doing that right now with their meeting with Wisconsin leaders.

I thought thats what NBA Cares is for? The community aspect. Which I know they're very active with any other sports, which is really nice.

But...

Isnt this about Police brutality?


It’s a complex topic breh. I’ll leave it at that.
RexBoyWonder wrote:If we win the chip this year I will change my username to "Zo's lats".


IggieCC wrote:I'm gonna change my username to JeaCrowEatingClamChowder, AirP



Let’s goooo!
User avatar
goodboy
RealGM
Posts: 44,944
And1: 179,438
Joined: Aug 07, 2014
Location: Living rent free in Saltics heads
 

Re: Around the NBA streets Vol. 5: ONE MORE TIME 

Post#1858 » by goodboy » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:02 am

Oreon youre insightful, I like it.

I can see two sides of this... and there isnt a right or wrong answer in both. Its just an opinion, and everyone does agree this is out of hand and needs to be eradicated for good.
Jayson "he's only 19 :o" Tatum
User avatar
goodboy
RealGM
Posts: 44,944
And1: 179,438
Joined: Aug 07, 2014
Location: Living rent free in Saltics heads
 

Re: Around the NBA streets Vol. 5: ONE MORE TIME 

Post#1859 » by goodboy » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:03 am

HeatFanLifer wrote:
goodboy wrote:
HeatFanLifer wrote:
I think this whole movement has potential to make enormous gains for underserved communities. It already has spread massive awareness. We just need to do this under a platform of unity. Let’s get everyone together and find solutions. NBA is doing that right now with their meeting with Wisconsin leaders.

I thought thats what NBA Cares is for? The community aspect. Which I know they're very active with any other sports, which is really nice.

But...

Isnt this about Police brutality?


It’s a complex topic breh. I’ll leave it at that.

You calling me STOOOPID?!

But yes, good call. I already have headache typing those last two posts.
Jayson "he's only 19 :o" Tatum
User avatar
HeatFanLifer
Head Coach
Posts: 6,014
And1: 30,051
Joined: Oct 20, 2016

Re: Around the NBA streets Vol. 5: ONE MORE TIME 

Post#1860 » by HeatFanLifer » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:05 am

goodboy wrote:
HeatFanLifer wrote:
goodboy wrote:I thought thats what NBA Cares is for? The community aspect. Which I know they're very active with any other sports, which is really nice.

But...

Isnt this about Police brutality?


It’s a complex topic breh. I’ll leave it at that.

You calling me STOOOPID?!

But yes, good call. I already have headache typing those last two posts.


Nah. I just don’t have the ability to frame the larger picture of it. Just wanted to give you my perspectice.
RexBoyWonder wrote:If we win the chip this year I will change my username to "Zo's lats".


IggieCC wrote:I'm gonna change my username to JeaCrowEatingClamChowder, AirP



Let’s goooo!

Return to Miami Heat