ImageImageImage

Around the NBA streets Vol. 5: ONE MORE TIME

Moderators: BFRESH44, Wiltside, MettaWorldPanda, heat4life, IggieCC

User avatar
dean456
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,781
And1: 3,056
Joined: Jul 04, 2017
 

Re: Around the NBA streets Vol. 5: ONE MORE TIME 

Post#1861 » by dean456 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:10 am

goodboy wrote:Not to be insensitive about this, but this wont make any difference/change... Especially when it comes to Sports. It never has, never will.

Kaepernick tried, it failed, sure it got awareness but it lead to nowhere.

Just play the game. NBA is a global market, they're only hurting their brand by outside parties involved/viewership involved.


Kaepernick was one person. The whole league is boycotting. One person standing up against inequality doesn't effect anyone's money. The NBA generates nearly $9 billion dollars in revenue annually. If you don't think that being threatened wont cause people with a lot of money and power to force change then I don't know what to tell you.
AirP.
RealGM
Posts: 20,161
And1: 6,606
Joined: Nov 21, 2007

Re: Around the NBA streets Vol. 5: ONE MORE TIME 

Post#1862 » by AirP. » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:25 am

Read on Twitter
AirP.
RealGM
Posts: 20,161
And1: 6,606
Joined: Nov 21, 2007

Re: Around the NBA streets Vol. 5: ONE MORE TIME 

Post#1863 » by AirP. » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:27 am

dean456 wrote:
goodboy wrote:Not to be insensitive about this, but this wont make any difference/change... Especially when it comes to Sports. It never has, never will.

Kaepernick tried, it failed, sure it got awareness but it lead to nowhere.

Just play the game. NBA is a global market, they're only hurting their brand by outside parties involved/viewership involved.


Kaepernick was one person. The whole league is boycotting. One person standing up against inequality doesn't effect anyone's money. The NBA generates nearly $9 billion dollars in revenue annually. If you don't think that being threatened wont cause people with a lot of money and power to force change then I don't know what to tell you.

It's quite possible the change comes from tighter control of the players with a new CBA.
User avatar
BenoUdrihFTL
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,998
And1: 10,030
Joined: Feb 20, 2013
Location: Wish.com customer support
 

Re: Around the NBA streets Vol. 5: ONE MORE TIME 

Post#1864 » by BenoUdrihFTL » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:30 am

A part of me in a "some men just want to watch the world burn" kinda way wants the nuclear option on the table here... just cancel and dissolve the NBA forever. I could see delegate Mion being the one to make the motion
1.61803398874989484820458683436563811772030917980576286
2135448622705260462818902449707207
204189391137484754088
0753868917521
26633862
22353
693
User avatar
Chalm Down
RealGM
Posts: 25,365
And1: 126,649
Joined: Jan 22, 2014
Location: snuggled in beno's strapping arms

Re: Around the NBA streets Vol. 5: ONE MORE TIME 

Post#1865 » by Chalm Down » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:59 am

BenoUdrihFTL wrote:A part of me in a "some men just want to watch the world burn" kinda way wants the nuclear option on the table here... just cancel and dissolve the NBA forever. I could see delegate Mion being the one to make the motion


Well whatever happens, the nba will look quite different as the new cba will have to take into account major covid revenue loss
Bishop45 wrote:"Let Iggie start the season brehs, was the wors that could happen"
User avatar
goodboy
RealGM
Posts: 44,532
And1: 178,111
Joined: Aug 07, 2014
Location: Living rent free in Saltics heads
 

Re: Around the NBA streets Vol. 5: ONE MORE TIME 

Post#1866 » by goodboy » Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:28 am

dean456 wrote:
goodboy wrote:Not to be insensitive about this, but this wont make any difference/change... Especially when it comes to Sports. It never has, never will.

Kaepernick tried, it failed, sure it got awareness but it lead to nowhere.

Just play the game. NBA is a global market, they're only hurting their brand by outside parties involved/viewership involved.


Kaepernick was one person. The whole league is boycotting. One person standing up against inequality doesn't effect anyone's money. The NBA generates nearly $9 billion dollars in revenue annually. If you don't think that being threatened wont cause people with a lot of money and power to force change then I don't know what to tell you.

Yeah but months from now... NBA will be back, so will other leagues, things will go back to the way it was. I just don't see these boycotts having any effects on killing and injustice of this world. I mean go ahead and try, by all means. I do like that the awareness very big and wide spread but I just dont see it changing anything.

Now if NBA and all major sports go extinct, then I can see it happening.

The wheel will keep spinning regardless.
Jayson "he's only 19 :o" Tatum
User avatar
Bishop45
RealGM
Posts: 28,680
And1: 95,590
Joined: Apr 22, 2015
 

Re: Around the NBA streets Vol. 5: ONE MORE TIME 

Post#1867 » by Bishop45 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:35 am

Sheesh, the political takes in here got ugly quick. eddie even evoked Chicago, which is like the clarion of racist takes that there are in a single deck.

Many other people in many other rooms are having this conversation, this is why what they did is great. It's a huge sacrifice but I hope they don't cop out on nothing petty-- but they raised the stakes with this, at least, so good for them
Long Live Winnie. Mamba siempre

Rest in Power Chadwick

:rocking:
User avatar
goodboy
RealGM
Posts: 44,532
And1: 178,111
Joined: Aug 07, 2014
Location: Living rent free in Saltics heads
 

Re: Around the NBA streets Vol. 5: ONE MORE TIME 

Post#1868 » by goodboy » Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:37 am

Bishop45 wrote:Sheesh, the political takes in here got ugly quick. eddie even evoked Chicago, which is like the clarion of racist takes that there are in a single deck.

Many other people in many other rooms are having this conversation, this is why what they did is great. It's a huge sacrifice but I hope they don't cop out on nothing petty-- but they raised the stakes with this, at least, so good for them

I do hope it makes a difference though Bish, but sadly I really dont see it happening.

Unless these guys go for extended periods of time (I mean years of not playing and boycotting and taking a stand) which no league cant afford to do.
Jayson "he's only 19 :o" Tatum
User avatar
dean456
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,781
And1: 3,056
Joined: Jul 04, 2017
 

Re: Around the NBA streets Vol. 5: ONE MORE TIME 

Post#1869 » by dean456 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:44 am

goodboy wrote:
dean456 wrote:
goodboy wrote:Not to be insensitive about this, but this wont make any difference/change... Especially when it comes to Sports. It never has, never will.

Kaepernick tried, it failed, sure it got awareness but it lead to nowhere.

Just play the game. NBA is a global market, they're only hurting their brand by outside parties involved/viewership involved.


Kaepernick was one person. The whole league is boycotting. One person standing up against inequality doesn't effect anyone's money. The NBA generates nearly $9 billion dollars in revenue annually. If you don't think that being threatened wont cause people with a lot of money and power to force change then I don't know what to tell you.

Yeah but months from now... NBA will be back, so will other leagues, things will go back to the way it was.

Now if NBA and all major sports go extinct, then I can see it happening.

The wheel will keep spinning regardless.


If nothing has changed by then I wouldn't be so sure about that at least where the NBA is concerned. If the biggest players in the league decide not to play then it wont matter what product the NBA puts out if they decide not to support the players. I for one wouldn't care.
User avatar
goodboy
RealGM
Posts: 44,532
And1: 178,111
Joined: Aug 07, 2014
Location: Living rent free in Saltics heads
 

Re: Around the NBA streets Vol. 5: ONE MORE TIME 

Post#1870 » by goodboy » Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:51 am

dean456 wrote:
goodboy wrote:
dean456 wrote:
Kaepernick was one person. The whole league is boycotting. One person standing up against inequality doesn't effect anyone's money. The NBA generates nearly $9 billion dollars in revenue annually. If you don't think that being threatened wont cause people with a lot of money and power to force change then I don't know what to tell you.

Yeah but months from now... NBA will be back, so will other leagues, things will go back to the way it was.

Now if NBA and all major sports go extinct, then I can see it happening.

The wheel will keep spinning regardless.


If nothing has changed by then I wouldn't be so sure about that at least where the NBA is concerned. If the biggest players in the league decide not to play then it wont matter what product the NBA puts out if they decide not to support the players. I for one wouldn't care.

I sincerely hope youre right.

At the end of the day, its a source of entertainment. They are many.

If it means stopping unjust killings and racism then that would be amazing.
Jayson "he's only 19 :o" Tatum
User avatar
Bishop45
RealGM
Posts: 28,680
And1: 95,590
Joined: Apr 22, 2015
 

Re: Around the NBA streets Vol. 5: ONE MORE TIME 

Post#1871 » by Bishop45 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:09 am

goodboy wrote:
Bishop45 wrote:Sheesh, the political takes in here got ugly quick. eddie even evoked Chicago, which is like the clarion of racist takes that there are in a single deck.

Many other people in many other rooms are having this conversation, this is why what they did is great. It's a huge sacrifice but I hope they don't cop out on nothing petty-- but they raised the stakes with this, at least, so good for them

I do hope it makes a difference though Bish, but sadly I really dont see it happening.

Unless these guys go for extended periods of time (I mean years of not playing and boycotting and taking a stand) which no league cant afford to do.


I take the mind of Craig Hodges when I think about these things, whereas he said and believes that activism works in a continuum: every act pushes us further along, no matter how big or small.

Black people in America have come a very long way by not being blase about any bit of progress and leaning on and committing to democratic processes. Every slave insurrection, Jim crow sit-in turn riot, every march of the 20th century mattered in helping to ameliorate the conditions of colored ppl in this country. Just cause you don't hear about all of the individual events that happened doesn't mean that they didn't matter. For me it's not about if this will make a difference, it already has-- this was monumental.


Kaep open the door for players to take their own agency by kneeling and speaking out, and players just made it wider by collectively shutting down games. Significant change comes from moving the conversation forward and raising the stakes, they've done their part
Long Live Winnie. Mamba siempre

Rest in Power Chadwick

:rocking:
User avatar
goodboy
RealGM
Posts: 44,532
And1: 178,111
Joined: Aug 07, 2014
Location: Living rent free in Saltics heads
 

Re: Around the NBA streets Vol. 5: ONE MORE TIME 

Post#1872 » by goodboy » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:14 am

Bishop45 wrote:
goodboy wrote:
Bishop45 wrote:Sheesh, the political takes in here got ugly quick. eddie even evoked Chicago, which is like the clarion of racist takes that there are in a single deck.

Many other people in many other rooms are having this conversation, this is why what they did is great. It's a huge sacrifice but I hope they don't cop out on nothing petty-- but they raised the stakes with this, at least, so good for them

I do hope it makes a difference though Bish, but sadly I really dont see it happening.

Unless these guys go for extended periods of time (I mean years of not playing and boycotting and taking a stand) which no league cant afford to do.


I take the mind of Craig Hodges when I think about these things, whereas he said and believes that activism works in a continuum: every act pushes us further along, no matter how big or small.

Black people in America have come a very long way by not being blase about any bit of progress and leaning on and committing to democratic processes. Every slave insurrection, Jim crow sit-in turn riot, every march of the 20th century mattered in helping to ameliorate the conditions of colored ppl in this country. Just cause you don't hear about all of the individual events that happened doesn't mean that they didn't matter. For me it's not about if this will make a difference, it already has-- this was monumental.


Kaep open the door for players to take their own agency by kneeling and speaking out, and players just made it wider by collectively shutting down games. Significant change comes from moving the conversation forward and raising the stakes, they've done their part

You've educated me bish. I can see your point of view 100%

The trickle down effect, the domino effect and or the small chain of events that slowly grow bigger and bigger would be heavenly.
Jayson "he's only 19 :o" Tatum
User avatar
Bishop45
RealGM
Posts: 28,680
And1: 95,590
Joined: Apr 22, 2015
 

Re: Around the NBA streets Vol. 5: ONE MORE TIME 

Post#1873 » by Bishop45 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:28 am

Sheesh

Read on Twitter
Long Live Winnie. Mamba siempre

Rest in Power Chadwick

:rocking:
jonjon3
Sophomore
Posts: 141
And1: 573
Joined: Jul 10, 2014
 

Re: Around the NBA streets Vol. 5: ONE MORE TIME 

Post#1874 » by jonjon3 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:44 am

3,000+ black people killed by other black people every year. No one bats an eye. 13 killed by police and professional sports commit career suicide. Most recently over a pedophile. Just beautiful.

And EL OH EL at sacrifice. These guys all getting paid their full salaries regardless if playoffs continue or not. Let someone on here call their work and say "I'm not showing up for work because I'm protesting an imaginary unicorn and I expect my full salary." I'm sure that would turn out very well. 40% plunge in TV ratings already in week one of playoffs and now this. NBA will not recover from this. vincecarteritsover.gif
User avatar
Bishop45
RealGM
Posts: 28,680
And1: 95,590
Joined: Apr 22, 2015
 

Re: Around the NBA streets Vol. 5: ONE MORE TIME 

Post#1875 » by Bishop45 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:51 am

Racist tropes out in the open, not in secluded neighborhood space but in the open. It's a great big step

What a time
Long Live Winnie. Mamba siempre

Rest in Power Chadwick

:rocking:
User avatar
Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
Posts: 10,139
And1: 39,017
Joined: Sep 16, 2016

Re: Around the NBA streets Vol. 5: ONE MORE TIME 

Post#1876 » by Wiltside » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:51 am

Man, that's heavy. Real heavy.

I'll admit that I didn't understand initially what postponing a game would really mean in the greater scheme of things. I understood the motive and what it represented, and why the players wanted to do it...but would it just be cutting off their nose to spite their faces? By that I mean, would it just mean that the overall pie shrinks and it'll mean players will be out of work or on less money? Will roster numbers shrink meaning less are employed? Could they not just use these funds earned to deploy back into their communities to help in that way?

But seeing that video footage of the white supremacist gunning down protesters was sickening. He shot him at close range, then ran straight past police. Had his hands up, no problems. Compare that to Jacob Blake and what happened there...yeah...you can see the pain and hurt this would cause. Then think about how George Floyd died. Or how Breonna Taylor died. And its been happening for decades. Bish put it well in that other post around what each generation has done before it to push the movement forward - that made it very clear to me.

Support the players taking what power and influence they have and making a stand. Get the NBA and its owners of these teams to support their communities, their causes, fight for justice and exert their influence over policy makers.

As an avid NBA fan, of course I want to see NBA basketball back - it's a huge part of my day to day life, but nothing is more important than causing real change. That's worth fighting for.
Formerly BG44, MB30 and Wade County at BasketballForum.com
User avatar
Mos_Heat
General Manager
Posts: 8,782
And1: 36,038
Joined: Jan 12, 2016
Location: Meh
 

Re: Around the NBA streets Vol. 5: ONE MORE TIME 

Post#1877 » by Mos_Heat » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:23 am

Strong russian fatalism vibes from goodboy
:reporter:
User avatar
IggieCC
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
Posts: 45,105
And1: 209,108
Joined: Apr 14, 2014
Location: Beno Udrih Stats
 

Re: Around the NBA streets Vol. 5: ONE MORE TIME 

Post#1878 » by IggieCC » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:06 am

Mos_Heat wrote:Strong russian fatalism vibes from goodboy

Image

Image

Image
Image
The Biggest Goran Dragic Fan since 2/17/2015
User avatar
HIF
RealGM
Posts: 13,128
And1: 5,055
Joined: Mar 31, 2004
Location: France
         

Re: Around the NBA streets Vol. 5: ONE MORE TIME 

Post#1879 » by HIF » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:18 am

I'm sorry but covid affected my NBA watching but this silliness is just destroying my want to watch overpaid mouthpieces playing without crowds. First world problems being confronted by multi-millionaires who didn't even want to take a pay cut is sickening.

Close the NBA down and only re-open it when everybody man and woman is equal and animals are treated kindly.
No more talk about Family Riles. Just do you job! :noway:

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
User avatar
Mos_Heat
General Manager
Posts: 8,782
And1: 36,038
Joined: Jan 12, 2016
Location: Meh
 

Re: Around the NBA streets Vol. 5: ONE MORE TIME 

Post#1880 » by Mos_Heat » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:45 am

From my understanding the playoffs will continue
:reporter:

Return to Miami Heat