ImageImageImage

Goodbye pre-season! 2020-2021 regular season thread

Moderators: KingDavid, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside

greg4012
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,754

Re: Goodbye pre-season! 2020-2021 regular season thread 

Post#561 » by greg4012 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:14 pm

AirP. wrote:
dean456 wrote:Houston gave up Caris LaVert and a 2nd rounder to get Dipo. Trading him a 3 months from now closer to his impending free agency isn't going to increase his value. At most we will lose maybe Nunn or Okpala a 2nd and some filler.

Also I don't understand peoples thinking that Christian Wood might be made available in a trade. They just signed him to a 3yr 13mil per year deal and the guy is averaging 23.1ppg, 10.1rpg while shooting 53% from the field.

They are tied up paying John Wall for the next 3yrs and they only own their 2022 pick so they likely not looking to tank. I highly doubt Wood's going anywhere.

Wait wait wait.. you think Houston traded LeVert for an expiring Oladipo and a 2nd round pick and think it's going to be inexpensive to acquire Oladipo from Houston? Houston could have kept LeVert who is making ~18 mil for 3 years for a solid scorer to go with Wall and Wood. This year for Brooklyn LeVert is averaging over 18 ppg in less then 28 minutes a night, LeVert is exactly the cost controlled player Houston would want unless they're looking to get good trade assets and/or a good young player with multiple years left on their rookie contract.

Right now, Oladipo is a prize for contender, he costs 21 million which should be somewhat easy to match but that contender who probably won't have cap space for a max/near max player will have his Bird right to retain him.

Indiana is trying to get better now so trading Oladipo for a younger player/draft assets doesn't make much sense for them, a younger cost controlled ~20 ppg SG does.

What Oladipo's team wants is different now that he's in Houston vs a playoff team in Indiana, Houston will be looking for longer term assets as in younger players and draft assets, Indiana wanted help now.

Would Morey look to add Oladipo with Embiid, Simmons, and Harris(or find a new home for Harris)? The 76ers could move Thybulle, Maxey, Curry, M.Scott and some draft assets to make it happen.

Would it make sense for Dallas to go after Oladipo and extending him? They could trade Hardaway Jr, a young PG like Brunson and whatever trade assets they have left like swaps and 2nd rounders? Then Dallas moves forward with Doncic, Porziņģis, Oladipo and Richardson as their long term core.

Here's some betting odds on where Oladipo would be traded, I'm sure most of those teams are still interested in acquiring him.
Read on Twitter

I haven't looked into the specifics of it, but I think it's pretty clear that the current priority of the Rockets is to stay away from any luxury tax

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/rockets-owner-tilman-fertitta-is-hellbent-on-reducing-payroll-avoiding-luxury-tax-per-report/
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,529

Post#562 » by AirP. » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:21 pm

greg4012 wrote:

I haven't looked into the specifics of it, but I think it's pretty clear that the current priority of the Rockets is to stay away from any luxury tax

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/rockets-owner-tilman-fertitta-is-hellbent-on-reducing-payroll-avoiding-luxury-tax-per-report/

Right, which is why Houston acquiring Oladipo over LeVert is curious since LeVert cost nearly 5 million less then Oladipo this year and I'd suspect LeVert has a lot of value on his current contract where he could be traded pretty easily(unless he gets injured again). So for Houston to take on nearly 5 million more this year is very odd. No matter what, a franchise has to spend 90% of the cap which will be around 100 million next year and currently Houston only has around 83-89.1 million in contracts next year.

If Houston had it's own draft picks in the future I could see tanking, but they don't and with that, need to restock. Who would fetch more assets, a valued SG in LeVert or a possible all-star that costs 21 million but you get bird rights to keep? I think good teams who don't have much if any cap room who want higher level talent would give up more for Oladipo, that's not saying they couldn't have gotten some decent assets for LeVert.
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 144,506

Post#563 » by MettaWorldPanda » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:41 pm

dean456 wrote:Houston gave up Caris LaVert and a 2nd rounder to get Dipo. Trading him a 3 months from now closer to his impending free agency isn't going to increase his value. At most we will lose maybe Nunn or Okpala a 2nd and some filler.

Also I don't understand peoples thinking that Christian Wood might be made available in a trade. They just signed him to a 3yr 13mil per year deal and the guy is averaging 23.1ppg, 10.1rpg while shooting 53% from the field.

They are tied up paying John Wall for the next 3yrs and they only own their 2022 pick so they likely not looking to tank. I highly doubt Wood's going anywhere.

Commenting on Christian Wood as well. No phucking way they trade him for our spare parts. He’s becoming a cheap star for them.
greg4012
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,754

Post#564 » by greg4012 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:03 pm

AirP. wrote:
greg4012 wrote:

Right, which is why Houston acquiring Oladipo over LeVert is curious since LeVert cost nearly 5 million less then Oladipo this year and I'd suspect LeVert has a lot of value on his current contract where he could be traded pretty easily(unless he gets injured again). So for Houston to take on nearly 5 million more this year is very odd. No matter what, a franchise has to spend 90% of the cap which will be around 100 million next year and currently Houston only has around 83-89.1 million in contracts next year.

If Houston had it's own draft picks in the future I could see tanking, but they don't and with that, need to restock. Who would fetch more assets, a valued SG in LeVert or a possible all-star that costs 21 million but you get bird rights to keep? I think good teams who don't have much if any cap room who want higher level talent would give up more for Oladipo, that's not saying they couldn't have gotten some decent assets for LeVert.

But woudn't keeping LeVert have meant that they'd already be right at the cap heading into next season without even accounting for signing any draft picks?

To me it's not clear what Houston is prioritizing aside from the owner making sure to clean up his checkbook
Beenie
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,307

Post#565 » by Beenie » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:41 pm

MettaWorldPanda wrote:

Commenting on Christian Wood as well. No phucking way they trade him for our spare parts. He’s becoming a cheap star for them.

I wonder though if Wood could be had for a package of picks.

Spitballing, but if Mia offered Precious, Nunn, filler, and 2-3 1st's for Wood and Oladipo, that might get Hou's attention.
Beenie
Assistant Coach

Post#566 » by Beenie » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:44 pm

Kobewade11 wrote:
Dr_Heat wrote:guys Dipz is not a WHALE , neither is Tuck. We want WHALES.

There are no “whales” to be had. Oladipo at worst is a good player, if you can add a good player while trimming some unnecessary fat on the roster its a no brainer.

Nurk got hurt again. If Portland plummets out of the playoff picture, the longshot hope is that Lilliard grows unhappy and wants out.

A more realistic scenario to hope for is that Towns and Russell lose patience. Wolves are last out West.

A whale, a small whale, and a non-whale but a healthy sea mammal, none the less.
Jinsaryko
Sixth Man
And1: 1,659

Post#567 » by Jinsaryko » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:01 pm

Read on Twitter

Are we really doing this again? I get it, Beal is the superior player, but after getting burnt so many times chasing whales you think we'd go for the sure thing. I just feel like unless Beal wants to come here and here alone, other teams will outbid us if he ever decides to leave the Wizards.
HeatingUp3
Veteran
And1: 4,879

Post#568 » by HeatingUp3 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:56 pm

Jinsaryko wrote:
Read on Twitter

Are we really doing this again? I get it, Beal is the superior player, but after getting burnt so many times chasing whales you think we'd go for the sure thing. I just feel like unless Beal wants to come here and here alone, other teams will outbid us if he ever decides to leave the Wizards.

He loves the WIZ for some reason. Beal is a young stud. A true talent and i wish he comes here but he doesn't seem to want a change. I think the only thing he don't have is a big desire to win big. And if so then maybe a guy that wants to be here like Oladipo is the right choice. BUT, even with Dipo we need to bring more pieces in order to win a title. We need a superstar to win a title.
Beenie
Assistant Coach

Post#569 » by Beenie » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:05 pm

Conventional wisdom is that Mia would have to trade Herro and a bag of assets to get Beal.

I don't suspect Riley would do that deal.

If Wash is willing to take Duncan, Precious (they were reportedly high on Precious predraft), filler, and a bag of picks, perhaps something could get done.
AirP.
RealGM

Post#570 » by AirP. » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:16 pm

greg4012 wrote:
AirP. wrote:
greg4012 wrote:

But woudn't keeping LeVert have meant that they'd already be right at the cap heading into next season without even accounting for signing any draft picks?

To me it's not clear what Houston is prioritizing aside from the owner making sure to clean up his checkbook

Sure, he's cheaper than Oladipo this year and he's a good value scorer, he could have been moved pretty easily in the next offseason if needed. The reason he's at a good price(contract wise) it's because of his injuries, basically the reason S.Curry (had glass ankles) was so cheap for Golden State early on in their runs to the finals, I'm not saying LeVert is anywhere near Curry's talent but bother were retained on very team friendly contracts. Both last year and this year he's averaging just under 19 a game playing less then 30 minutes a night. He's been in the playoffs 2 different seasons and averaged over 20 ppg each of those playoffs. In 2019-2020 in the playoffs he average 20.3 pts, 9.5 ast, 6 rebs although he wasn't efficient like he was the previous playoffs.
Jinsaryko
Sixth Man
And1: 1,659

Post#571 » by Jinsaryko » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:25 pm

Read on Twitter
AirP.
RealGM

Post#572 » by AirP. » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:16 pm

Read on Twitter
Umbooki
RealGM
And1: 29,604

Post#573 » by Umbooki » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:29 pm

I totally posted about KAT in the wrong thread. Whoops!

Beal would be pretty good, huh? Between the postponed games and all the issues with availability, we’re going through a really weird stretch of basketball.
Beenie
Assistant Coach

Post#574 » by Beenie » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:43 am

Another scenario to monitor is Sacramento.

Fox just extended but the team stinks and Haliburton looks pretty good as a replacement so maybe, at some point, they become open to trading Fox.

I'm not the biggest Barnes fan but he would be a major upgrade at PF for Mia.

Perhaps Mia could take Barnes' salary on as an incentive in a Fox deal and move a bunch of picks, swaps, and young talent not named Herro and make an offer.

Unlikely but if Fox pulls a Harden, it's possible.
RexBoyWonder
RealGM
And1: 33,405

Post#575 » by RexBoyWonder » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:02 am

There are some attainable names out there that can play the PF role, but they've got long term contracts going through 2022, 2023.

Guys like Aron Gordon, Harrison Barnes, Even Mo Bamba.

The issue is that if we add anyone with guaranteed salary beyond this year, we won't be able to sign a Oladipo in free agency.

Honestly those guys might be useful here, but they're not really worth it.

I might be the only but I still believe the answer is right, it's KZ. Those guys are more experienced but they're not on a totally different talent level then KZ.
Chalm Downs wrote:his nickname is boywonder ffs
carnageta
Veteran
And1: 6,960

Post#576 » by carnageta » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:46 am

Don’t want Oladipo or Beal. We need a big.

Rather target LMA than Victor.

We’re literally one extended Bam injury away from missing the playoffs. Let’s not play with it. Get bigger.

Size matters. Just ask her.
dean456
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,252

Post#577 » by dean456 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:54 am

AirP. wrote:

Wait wait wait.. you think Houston traded LeVert for an expiring Oladipo and a 2nd round pick and think it's going to be inexpensive to acquire Oladipo from Houston? Houston could have kept LeVert who is making ~18 mil for 3 years for a solid scorer to go with Wall and Wood. This year for Brooklyn LeVert is averaging over 18 ppg in less then 28 minutes a night, LeVert is exactly the cost controlled player Houston would want unless they're looking to get good trade assets and/or a good young player with multiple years left on their rookie contract.

Right now, Oladipo is a prize for contender, he costs 21 million which should be somewhat easy to match but that contender who probably won't have cap space for a max/near max player will have his Bird right to retain him.

Indiana is trying to get better now so trading Oladipo for a younger player/draft assets doesn't make much sense for them, a younger cost controlled ~20 ppg SG does.

What Oladipo's team wants is different now that he's in Houston vs a playoff team in Indiana, Houston will be looking for longer term assets as in younger players and draft assets, Indiana wanted help now.

Would Morey look to add Oladipo with Embiid, Simmons, and Harris(or find a new home for Harris)? The 76ers could move Thybulle, Maxey, Curry, M.Scott and some draft assets to make it happen.

Would it make sense for Dallas to go after Oladipo and extending him? They could trade Hardaway Jr, a young PG like Brunson and whatever trade assets they have left like swaps and 2nd rounders? Then Dallas moves forward with Doncic, Porziņģis, Oladipo and Richardson as their long term core.

Here's some betting odds on where Oladipo would be traded, I'm sure most of those teams are still interested in acquiring him.
Read on Twitter

Houston may just be trying to shed salary which is why they preferred taking Oladipo's expiring over LaVerts long term deal which is likely also why they took on the expiring 9.1mil contract of Dante Exum who's only played 132/329 games the last 4 seasons.

If other teams want to overpay for Oladipo's expiring deal they can have it.
Chalm Down
RealGM
And1: 132,736

Post#578 » by Chalm Down » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:11 am

Jinsaryko wrote:
Read on Twitter

This oladipo thing is turning into a hilarious case of one-sided love
Bishop45 wrote:"Let Iggie start the season brehs, was the wors that could happen"
RexBoyWonder
RealGM
And1: 33,405

Post#579 » by RexBoyWonder » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:18 am

Chalm Down wrote:
Jinsaryko wrote:
Read on Twitter

This oladipo thing is turning into a hilarious case of one-sided love

Kind of like iggie and the Heat/board
Chalm Downs wrote:his nickname is boywonder ffs
SA37
RealGM
And1: 7,128

Post#580 » by SA37 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:18 am

carnageta wrote:Don’t want Oladipo or Beal. We need a big.

Rather target LMA than Victor.

We’re literally one extended Bam injury away from missing the playoffs. Let’s not play with it. Get bigger.

Size matters. Just ask her.

Aldridge is not very good on defense and is not a strong rebounder, but he will be one of the better options in free agency. Richaun Holmes, Paul Millsap, Otto Porter, and Rudy Gay would be interesting options, too. I think Miami has to re-sign Olynyk, who has a skillset that fits really well here.

I don't really care for Oladipo or Beal, especially if it is going to cost Miami its young players and draft assets. Oladipo is definitely not worth a max contract -- not even close.

Return to Miami Heat