ImageImageImage

MIAMI HEAT Offseason Thread 2021

Moderators: MettaWorldPanda, heat4life, BFRESH44, IggieCC, Wiltside

User avatar
Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
Posts: 13,521
And1: 49,818
Joined: Sep 16, 2016

Re: MIAMI HEAT Offseason Thread 2021 

Post#581 » by Wiltside » Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:18 am

We should be kicking the tires on Malcolm Brogdon. He was rumoured to be available at the deadline, and the Pacers look like it may be time to hit the reset button. At 28-29 years of age, he may not fit their demographic. Particularly after they draft my man Josh Giddey in the lotto 8-)

Mans averaged 21.2ppg, 5.3rpg, 5.9apg in 34.5mpg on 45%fg, 38.8% 3fg (2.6/6.7) and 86.4%ft (2.7/3.2). Plus the solid defense.

2yrs and about $44m owing on the deal.
Formerly BG44, MB30 and Wade County at BasketballForum.com
User avatar
HeatingUp3
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,284
And1: 2,765
Joined: Jun 20, 2018

Re: MIAMI HEAT Offseason Thread 2021 

Post#582 » by HeatingUp3 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:54 am

So Lowry, TJ McConnell and I are going to take us to the next level? I don't think so.
FO must be thinking bigger then this.
I'm all for bringing TJ dou. He is all heart
User avatar
Hallstar
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,902
And1: 4,152
Joined: Jul 15, 2008
   

Re: MIAMI HEAT Offseason Thread 2021 

Post#583 » by Hallstar » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:02 am

Suns are exactly what I mean about having enough shot creators. Even Crowder can get himself out of a little trouble if he's forced to.
User avatar
Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
Posts: 13,521
And1: 49,818
Joined: Sep 16, 2016

Re: MIAMI HEAT Offseason Thread 2021 

Post#584 » by Wiltside » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:26 am

HeatingUp3 wrote:So Lowry, TJ McConnell and I are going to take us to the next level? I don't think so.
FO must be thinking bigger then this.
I'm all for bringing TJ dou. He is all heart


McConnell is pretty much exactly what you want in a backup PG. His only limiting factor is his lack of a 3pt shot (only 0.2 make per on 31%). Having said that, the dude shot 55% from the floor this season. Plays hard and defends his ass off, gets under guys skin...I've got a solid spot in my rotation for a guy like TJ. He'd be a terrific backup PG on this roster, provided we can surround him with enough shooters off the bench.
Formerly BG44, MB30 and Wade County at BasketballForum.com
_GH0ST_
Ballboy
Posts: 25
And1: 46
Joined: Mar 28, 2021
   

Re: MIAMI HEAT Offseason Thread 2021 

Post#585 » by _GH0ST_ » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:06 am

Kobewade11 wrote:
_GH0ST_ wrote:CJ and Covington will solve most of our problems. Probably Portland will ask us for Jimmy. It would be great if we could convince them of a package that didn't include Jimmy.

Covington is just a younger, lower IQ Iguodala. He'll knock down some 3's, defend a little bit, and disappear or come up with a bonehead play when it matters most.

Covington is more taller, more stronger, 3&D and better paint player than Iguodala.

Iguodala is not a 4. Except for his long arms, none of his features are suitable for the position.
SDC
Senior
Posts: 537
And1: 106
Joined: Feb 09, 2007

Re: MIAMI HEAT Offseason Thread 2021 

Post#586 » by SDC » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:40 am

The Only Sure Thing Miami Can Do Right Now is to re-sign Olynyk. He along with Leonard are the only two players who can play alongside Bam that is not a small forward.
User avatar
Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
Posts: 13,521
And1: 49,818
Joined: Sep 16, 2016

Re: MIAMI HEAT Offseason Thread 2021 

Post#587 » by Wiltside » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:39 am

SDC wrote:The Only Sure Thing Miami Can Do Right Now is to re-sign Olynyk. He along with Leonard are the only two players who can play alongside Bam that is not a small forward.


I think that ship has sailed SDC. We have 3.5 years of KO track record. He went in and out of Spo’s rotation and is just too streaky and unreliable. I think it’s a long shot we entertain bringing him back for the price he’s going to command.
Formerly BG44, MB30 and Wade County at BasketballForum.com
User avatar
Kobewade11
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,090
And1: 8,977
Joined: Oct 15, 2017

Re: MIAMI HEAT Offseason Thread 2021 

Post#588 » by Kobewade11 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:02 pm

_GH0ST_ wrote:
Kobewade11 wrote:
_GH0ST_ wrote:CJ and Covington will solve most of our problems. Probably Portland will ask us for Jimmy. It would be great if we could convince them of a package that didn't include Jimmy.

Covington is just a younger, lower IQ Iguodala. He'll knock down some 3's, defend a little bit, and disappear or come up with a bonehead play when it matters most.

Covington is more taller, more stronger, 3&D and better paint player than Iguodala.

Iguodala is not a 4. Except for his long arms, none of his features are suitable for the position.


He's not a real needle mover, just look at Portland. He's just a name that people like for whatever reason.
User avatar
BenoUdrihFTL
General Manager
Posts: 7,939
And1: 16,706
Joined: Feb 20, 2013
Location: Wish.com customer support
 

Re: MIAMI HEAT Offseason Thread 2021 

Post#589 » by BenoUdrihFTL » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:30 pm

I'd consider something like CJ + Nurkic for Bam + DRob/Nunn (because I think Nurk has huge upside if he can stay healthy) but CJ for Butler makes no sense to me
1.61803398874989484820458683436563811772030917980576286
2135448622705260462818902449707207
204189391137484754088
0753868917521
26633862
22353
693
User avatar
Bishop45
RealGM
Posts: 30,538
And1: 101,581
Joined: Apr 22, 2015
 

Re: MIAMI HEAT Offseason Thread 2021 

Post#590 » by Bishop45 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:10 pm

BenoUdrihFTL wrote:I'd consider something like CJ + Nurkic for Bam + DRob/Nunn (because I think Nurk has huge upside if he can stay healthy) but CJ for Butler makes no sense to me


Compression of morbidity; We're not going to win either way, the best way to remain a decent team that could attract stars, without bottoming out, is to grab another, young, elite wing

Doesn't have to be CJ, but he's what's available. If Jaylen Brown or some other wing of similar value were available, I'd go for them. This core is likely done, need to think ahead
Long Live Winnie. Mamba siempre

Rest in Power Chadwick

:rocking:
User avatar
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
Posts: 32,117
And1: 116,989
Joined: Nov 16, 2014
     

Re: MIAMI HEAT Offseason Thread 2021 

Post#591 » by MettaWorldPanda » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:16 pm

Taken from Barry Jackson’s 4 part series today.

Option 1: Operate as a room team, using what could be as much as $27.5 million in cap space, to add the best available player or perhaps two players. Miami also would have a $4.9 million room exception in this scenario.

Option 2: Operate as an over-the-cap team, allowing Miami to exceed the cap to keep Victor Oladipo, Goran Dragic and/or Trevor Ariza if it wishes, use a $9.5 million mid-level exception and a $3.6 million bi-annual exception and make a sign-and-trade to upgrade the roster.
User avatar
gom
Heat forum: Expert Predictor
Posts: 15,397
And1: 36,533
Joined: May 30, 2014
Location: Right here. Right now.
Contact:
   

Re: MIAMI HEAT Offseason Thread 2021 

Post#592 » by gom » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:54 pm

There must be consequences to this level of deception and incompetence and lack of effort. We were not bad. We were laughably bad. I want option 3.

Option 1: Treading water. We will not compete.

Option 2: Bad choice. I know some of you want to keep going with this team, but the sooner we recognize the truth of our shortcomings, the better.

There is an option 3. Trade Butler for the best rebuild package. Do not sign Dragic, Iggy, or Ariza. Resign Duncan and Nunn with the intention of trading them later (at the deadline for example). Rebuild around Herro (who might still be traded), Bam, and other players of their generation.

Option 3 will be very painful, but the misery will end sooner.
#BlackLivesMatter
you love black panther but not fred hampton -- Rapsody
Image
I remember 11-30 with these guys. ^^^^
User avatar
Beenie
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,974
And1: 3,635
Joined: Oct 24, 2016
 

Re: MIAMI HEAT Offseason Thread 2021 

Post#593 » by Beenie » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:02 pm

gom wrote:There must be consequences to this level of deception and incompetence and lack of effort. We were not bad. We were laughably bad. I want option 3.

Option 1: Treading water. We will not compete.

Option 2: Bad choice. I know some of you want to keep going with this team, but the sooner we recognize the truth of our shortcomings, the better.

There is an option 3. Trade Butler for the best rebuild package. Do not sign Dragic, Iggy, or Ariza. Resign Duncan and Nunn with the intention of trading them later (at the deadline for example).



Disagree.

Not with the idea of parting ways with Dragic and Iggie. We agree there. Dragic is washed. Been saying that all season.

Trading Butler would set the franchise back, if they are lucky, 3-5 years.

Mia isn't some loser franchise that is content with being a perennial lottery team in the hopes of finding a diamond in the rough.
SA37
General Manager
Posts: 9,042
And1: 1,371
Joined: Sep 10, 2002
Location: Basking in the Glory
 

Re: MIAMI HEAT Offseason Thread 2021 

Post#594 » by SA37 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:05 pm

MettaWorldPanda wrote:Taken from Barry Jackson’s 4 part series today.

Option 1: Operate as a room team, using what could be as much as $27.5 million in cap space, to add the best available player or perhaps two players. Miami also would have a $4.9 million room exception in this scenario.

Option 2: Operate as an over-the-cap team, allowing Miami to exceed the cap to keep Victor Oladipo, Goran Dragic and/or Trevor Ariza if it wishes, use a $9.5 million mid-level exception and a $3.6 million bi-annual exception and make a sign-and-trade to upgrade the roster.


The question is: who does Miami have to renounce to get to $27M in space?

It is hard to see a scenario where Miami doesn’t opt-in on both Dragic and Iguodala and bring Ariza back. Ariza played well for Miami and Miami really can’t do better for ~MLE money. I don’t think Miami quits on Oladipo unless his contract demands are out of touch with reality.

Dragic - Oladipo
Butler / Herro
Ariza / Iguodala
Bam / Achiuwa
??? / ???

Miami would still have decisions to make on Nunn and Robinson. Miami would have the MLE and BAE to add frontcourt help:

N Noel - K Olynyk - C Zeller - R Lopez - B Marjanovic - D Theis - J McGee - P Millsap - D Dedmon - M Muscala - D Howard - F Kaminsky - E Kanter - A Len

Miami could try to acquire Lowry via S&T with Dragic and Robinson going to a 3rd team.

Miami could then try to use Nunn and Iguodala to get Al Horford.

Use the MLE on Rudy Gay, D McDermott, or Otto Porter Jr and the BAE on Millsap

Lowry / Oladipo
Butler / Herro
Ariza / Gay, McDermott, or Porter Jr
Bam / Millsap / Achiuwa
Horford / Dedmon (?)
User avatar
gom
Heat forum: Expert Predictor
Posts: 15,397
And1: 36,533
Joined: May 30, 2014
Location: Right here. Right now.
Contact:
   

Re: MIAMI HEAT Offseason Thread 2021 

Post#595 » by gom » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:07 pm

Mia is a loser franchise that just got swept by the Bucks by margins of 30 points per game, the same Bucks team who are getting throttled by the Nets who are playing without James Harden.

Take the medicine.

Image
#BlackLivesMatter
you love black panther but not fred hampton -- Rapsody
Image
I remember 11-30 with these guys. ^^^^
The Bunk
Senior
Posts: 545
And1: 1,163
Joined: Jun 10, 2019
         

Re: MIAMI HEAT Offseason Thread 2021 

Post#596 » by The Bunk » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:35 pm

SA37 wrote:
MettaWorldPanda wrote:Taken from Barry Jackson’s 4 part series today.

Option 1: Operate as a room team, using what could be as much as $27.5 million in cap space, to add the best available player or perhaps two players. Miami also would have a $4.9 million room exception in this scenario.

Option 2: Operate as an over-the-cap team, allowing Miami to exceed the cap to keep Victor Oladipo, Goran Dragic and/or Trevor Ariza if it wishes, use a $9.5 million mid-level exception and a $3.6 million bi-annual exception and make a sign-and-trade to upgrade the roster.


The question is: who does Miami have to renounce to get to $27M in space?

It is hard to see a scenario where Miami doesn’t opt-in on both Dragic and Iguodala and bring Ariza back. Ariza played well for Miami and Miami really can’t do better for ~MLE money. I don’t think Miami quits on Oladipo unless his contract demands are out of touch with reality.

Dragic - Oladipo
Butler / Herro
Ariza / Iguodala
Bam / Achiuwa
??? / ???

Miami would still have decisions to make on Nunn and Robinson. Miami would have the MLE and BAE to add frontcourt help:

N Noel - K Olynyk - C Zeller - R Lopez - B Marjanovic - D Theis - J McGee - P Millsap - D Dedmon - M Muscala - D Howard - F Kaminsky - E Kanter - A Len

Miami could try to acquire Lowry via S&T with Dragic and Robinson going to a 3rd team.

Miami could then try to use Nunn and Iguodala to get Al Horford.

Use the MLE on Rudy Gay, D McDermott, or Otto Porter Jr and the BAE on Millsap

Lowry / Oladipo
Butler / Herro
Ariza / Gay, McDermott, or Porter Jr
Bam / Millsap / Achiuwa
Horford / Dedmon (?)


Thats another Miami Heat........first round exit.
eddieheatfan
General Manager
Posts: 8,084
And1: 16,263
Joined: Nov 07, 2014
   

Re: MIAMI HEAT Offseason Thread 2021 

Post#597 » by eddieheatfan » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:50 pm

gom wrote:There must be consequences to this level of deception and incompetence and lack of effort. We were not bad. We were laughably bad. I want option 3.

Option 1: Treading water. We will not compete.

Option 2: Bad choice. I know some of you want to keep going with this team, but the sooner we recognize the truth of our shortcomings, the better.

There is an option 3. Trade Butler for the best rebuild package. Do not sign Dragic, Iggy, or Ariza. Resign Duncan and Nunn with the intention of trading them later (at the deadline for example). Rebuild around Herro (who might still be traded), Bam, and other players of their generation.

Option 3 will be very painful, but the misery will end sooner.




Image
User avatar
Beenie
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,974
And1: 3,635
Joined: Oct 24, 2016
 

Re: MIAMI HEAT Offseason Thread 2021 

Post#598 » by Beenie » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:55 pm

gom wrote:Mia is a loser franchise that just got swept by the Bucks by margins of 30 points per game, the same Bucks team who are getting throttled by the Nets who are playing without James Harden.

Take the medicine.

Image



There are levels to this.

Getting swept in the playoffs (a season after reaching the finals) isn't the same level of lousiness as riding the lottery carousel for possibly a decade (3-5 years if he team is lucky)

No thanks.
_GH0ST_
Ballboy
Posts: 25
And1: 46
Joined: Mar 28, 2021
   

Re: MIAMI HEAT Offseason Thread 2021 

Post#599 » by _GH0ST_ » Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:01 pm

Kobewade11 wrote:
_GH0ST_ wrote:
Kobewade11 wrote:Covington is just a younger, lower IQ Iguodala. He'll knock down some 3's, defend a little bit, and disappear or come up with a bonehead play when it matters most.

Covington is more taller, more stronger, 3&D and better paint player than Iguodala.

Iguodala is not a 4. Except for his long arms, none of his features are suitable for the position.


He's not a real needle mover, just look at Portland. He's just a name that people like for whatever reason.


He's not responsible for Portland's condition. Except for Covington and DJJ, there is no defensive player.
Zeno
RealGM
Posts: 13,301
And1: 11,891
Joined: Jun 06, 2001
   

Re: MIAMI HEAT Offseason Thread 2021 

Post#600 » by Zeno » Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:06 pm

Is an opted in Dragic plus Iggy for Porzingas a possible trade for you guys or is that just too much of a dice roll for you guys? If you could get him right, Porzingas would fit in nicely in theory..Maybe you could get a Dallas 2025 thrown in for taking the extra years that could be used for an upgrade somewhere on the roster...I'm pretty sure you guys aggressively shoot this idea down...
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.

Return to Miami Heat