ImageImageImage

2021 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: Wiltside, heat4life, BFRESH44, MettaWorldPanda, IggieCC

User avatar
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 23,511
And1: 61,115
Joined: Jan 03, 2006
       

Re: 2021 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#161 » by DayofMourning » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:30 pm

Draft daaaaaaaay!
Image
User avatar
RexBoyWonder
RealGM
Posts: 14,876
And1: 27,487
Joined: Mar 03, 2011

Re: 2021 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#162 » by RexBoyWonder » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:05 pm

DayofMourning wrote:Draft daaaaaaaay!


Would you give up Bam for #2?

I Think Cade is a guaranteed multiple time allstar, but after him...not so sure
Chalm Downs wrote:his nickname is boywonder ffs
User avatar
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
Posts: 32,987
And1: 119,066
Joined: Nov 16, 2014
     

Re: 2021 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#163 » by MettaWorldPanda » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:11 pm

Read on Twitter


Philly bought a pick. Will we ever buy a pick?
User avatar
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
Posts: 32,987
And1: 119,066
Joined: Nov 16, 2014
     

Re: 2021 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#164 » by MettaWorldPanda » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:22 pm

Read on Twitter
User avatar
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
Posts: 32,987
And1: 119,066
Joined: Nov 16, 2014
     

Re: 2021 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#165 » by MettaWorldPanda » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:25 pm

Read on Twitter


:noway:
User avatar
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 23,511
And1: 61,115
Joined: Jan 03, 2006
       

Re: 2021 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#166 » by DayofMourning » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:33 pm

RexBoyWonder wrote:
DayofMourning wrote:Draft daaaaaaaay!


Would you give up Bam for #2?

I Think Cade is a guaranteed multiple time allstar, but after him...not so sure


Maybe. I like Mobley a lot. Took Bam 3 years to be good. Will take Mobley that long.

I think the best rebuilding course would be to keep Bam and move Butler now for the best assets.

Pat would never do it though.
Image
User avatar
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 23,511
And1: 61,115
Joined: Jan 03, 2006
       

Re: 2021 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#167 » by DayofMourning » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:35 pm

MettaWorldPanda wrote:
Read on Twitter


Philly bought a pick. Will we ever buy a pick?


We'd likely make a move depending on a player we like being available.
Image
User avatar
puppa bear
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,636
And1: 3,210
Joined: Jan 06, 2006
Location: Perth, Australia
   

Re: 2021 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#168 » by puppa bear » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:37 pm

MettaWorldPanda wrote:
Read on Twitter

Hopefully this means we can get a couple
User avatar
puppa bear
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,636
And1: 3,210
Joined: Jan 06, 2006
Location: Perth, Australia
   

Re: 2021 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#169 » by puppa bear » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:38 pm

DayofMourning wrote:
RexBoyWonder wrote:
DayofMourning wrote:Draft daaaaaaaay!


Would you give up Bam for #2?

I Think Cade is a guaranteed multiple time allstar, but after him...not so sure


Maybe. I like Mobley a lot. Took Bam 3 years to be good. Will take Mobley that long.

I think the best rebuilding course would be to keep Bam and move Butler now for the best assets.

Pat would never do it though.

I’m only moving Bam for Cade.

Butler can be dealt to a few teams for rebuilding packages: Warriors, Sixers to name a few
User avatar
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
Posts: 32,987
And1: 119,066
Joined: Nov 16, 2014
     

Re: 2021 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#170 » by MettaWorldPanda » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:46 pm

Is Luka Garza worth a look as a stretch big next to Bam?
User avatar
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 23,511
And1: 61,115
Joined: Jan 03, 2006
       

Re: 2021 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#171 » by DayofMourning » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:47 pm

puppa bear wrote:
DayofMourning wrote:
RexBoyWonder wrote:
Would you give up Bam for #2?

I Think Cade is a guaranteed multiple time allstar, but after him...not so sure


Maybe. I like Mobley a lot. Took Bam 3 years to be good. Will take Mobley that long.

I think the best rebuilding course would be to keep Bam and move Butler now for the best assets.

Pat would never do it though.

I’m only moving Bam for Cade.

Butler can be dealt to a few teams for rebuilding packages: Warriors, Sixers to name a few


I just can't see max extending Butler. That's a crippling move unless you manage to pull some miracles out your ass.

Butler was a revelation for one year. In hindsight, we should have traded for CP3 and whoever else we were on the fence for to max out that one year. We didn't though, and still almost won it all.

Last year was a dumpster fire and reminded me a whole lot of those Dion teams where everyone got paid and we stunk for several years. I don't want to extend that dysfunction.
Image
User avatar
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 23,511
And1: 61,115
Joined: Jan 03, 2006
       

Re: 2021 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#172 » by DayofMourning » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:50 pm

MettaWorldPanda wrote:Is Luka Garza worth a look as a stretch big next to Bam?


Probably not. Pace will be too fast for him.

I'd find a way to get EJ Onu in here. Develop him.
Image
User avatar
puppa bear
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,636
And1: 3,210
Joined: Jan 06, 2006
Location: Perth, Australia
   

Re: 2021 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#173 » by puppa bear » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:51 pm

DayofMourning wrote:
puppa bear wrote:
DayofMourning wrote:
Maybe. I like Mobley a lot. Took Bam 3 years to be good. Will take Mobley that long.

I think the best rebuilding course would be to keep Bam and move Butler now for the best assets.

Pat would never do it though.

I’m only moving Bam for Cade.

Butler can be dealt to a few teams for rebuilding packages: Warriors, Sixers to name a few


I just can't see max extending Butler. That's a crippling move unless you manage to pull some miracles out your ass.

Butler was a revelation for one year. In hindsight, we should have traded for CP3 and whoever else we were on the fence for to max out that one year. We didn't though, and still almost won it all.

Last year was a dumpster fire and reminded me a whole lot of those Dion teams where everyone got paid and we stunk for several years. I don't want to extend that dysfunction.

Agreed. If we can swing something to move the needle, then you lock him in & ride out this rodeo.

If not; buyer be wary. Reset & start the Bam era is probably the smart play, but Riley is a gambler.
User avatar
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 23,511
And1: 61,115
Joined: Jan 03, 2006
       

Re: 2021 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#174 » by DayofMourning » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:59 pm

I'm looking at the guys we are bound to lose. Who replaces them? Nunn, Duncan, Dragic, etc.

We have to get bigs on the team. We can find shooters in the 2nd round. I'd expect a lead guard through some sort of trade.
Image
oreon
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,294
And1: 3,014
Joined: Jun 18, 2018

Re: 2021 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#175 » by oreon » Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:15 pm

DayofMourning wrote:
puppa bear wrote:
DayofMourning wrote:
Maybe. I like Mobley a lot. Took Bam 3 years to be good. Will take Mobley that long.

I think the best rebuilding course would be to keep Bam and move Butler now for the best assets.

Pat would never do it though.

I’m only moving Bam for Cade.

Butler can be dealt to a few teams for rebuilding packages: Warriors, Sixers to name a few


I just can't see max extending Butler. That's a crippling move unless you manage to pull some miracles out your ass.

Butler was a revelation for one year. In hindsight, we should have traded for CP3 and whoever else we were on the fence for to max out that one year. We didn't though, and still almost won it all.

Last year was a dumpster fire and reminded me a whole lot of those Dion teams where everyone got paid and we stunk for several years. I don't want to extend that dysfunction.


To a certain extent I expect a Butler rebound this season. He was great in the regular season and lowkey was a MVP contender. He just might have hit the wall. But I do agree that in 2 years the Butler Max won't be looking so good.
If we could add a top 15 player via FA to contend for next 2 then it's worth it. But this FA sucks. There isn't a move that we can make that would thrust into the top tier of contenders. I think this FA will end up in disappointment not because of FA just because there aren't that many great options and our assets don't look so good. Based on the moves available it makes a lot more sense to move Butler and go in on the Bam timeline.
And you can do Butler justice in the process. I know he and Lowry are close, you can work it out so he ends in a situation where they can team up. The two obvious moves are Pelicans and NY. If they can get both, I can see both teams making the trade for Butler
User avatar
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
Posts: 32,987
And1: 119,066
Joined: Nov 16, 2014
     

Re: 2021 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#176 » by MettaWorldPanda » Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:19 pm

DayofMourning wrote:
MettaWorldPanda wrote:Is Luka Garza worth a look as a stretch big next to Bam?


Probably not. Pace will be too fast for him.

I'd find a way to get EJ Onu in here. Develop him.

He's lost like 30 pounds. Onu seems way way too raw. Garza looks like a dirt cheaper version of Markannan or KO.

Read on Twitter


Read on Twitter


Read on Twitter
User avatar
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 23,511
And1: 61,115
Joined: Jan 03, 2006
       

Re: 2021 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#177 » by DayofMourning » Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:32 pm

MettaWorldPanda wrote:
DayofMourning wrote:
MettaWorldPanda wrote:Is Luka Garza worth a look as a stretch big next to Bam?


Probably not. Pace will be too fast for him.

I'd find a way to get EJ Onu in here. Develop him.

He's lost like 30 pounds. Onu seems way way too raw. Garza looks like a dirt cheaper version of Markannan or KO.

Read on Twitter


Read on Twitter


Read on Twitter


Oh, this is nice. The agility was a big concern for me.
Image
User avatar
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 23,511
And1: 61,115
Joined: Jan 03, 2006
       

Re: 2021 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#178 » by DayofMourning » Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:37 pm

oreon wrote:
DayofMourning wrote:
puppa bear wrote:I’m only moving Bam for Cade.

Butler can be dealt to a few teams for rebuilding packages: Warriors, Sixers to name a few


I just can't see max extending Butler. That's a crippling move unless you manage to pull some miracles out your ass.

Butler was a revelation for one year. In hindsight, we should have traded for CP3 and whoever else we were on the fence for to max out that one year. We didn't though, and still almost won it all.

Last year was a dumpster fire and reminded me a whole lot of those Dion teams where everyone got paid and we stunk for several years. I don't want to extend that dysfunction.


To a certain extent I expect a Butler rebound this season. He was great in the regular season and lowkey was a MVP contender. He just might have hit the wall. But I do agree that in 2 years the Butler Max won't be looking so good.
If we could add a top 15 player via FA to contend for next 2 then it's worth it. But this FA sucks. There isn't a move that we can make that would thrust into the top tier of contenders. I think this FA will end up in disappointment not because of FA just because there aren't that many great options and our assets don't look so good. Based on the moves available it makes a lot more sense to move Butler and go in on the Bam timeline.
And you can do Butler justice in the process. I know he and Lowry are close, you can work it out so he ends in a situation where they can team up. The two obvious moves are Pelicans and NY. If they can get both, I can see both teams making the trade for Butler


I was goofing off last night and had us trading Butler to Dallas in a four way....!

Kristaps, Ingram, and Sexton coming to play on Bams timeline. Lol.

I think we'd be better set up to embrace Bam as our guy and focus on attaining young guys who can grow.

Heck, Butler took some time to turn into a stud player himself. Don't think many would have taken him as a MVP caliber player a few years in.
Image
User avatar
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
Posts: 32,987
And1: 119,066
Joined: Nov 16, 2014
     

Re: 2021 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#179 » by MettaWorldPanda » Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:44 pm

Cade going to Detroit and Green going to Houston seem all but locked up from reports. I think Houston is going to regret not taking Mobley.
User avatar
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 23,511
And1: 61,115
Joined: Jan 03, 2006
       

Re: 2021 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#180 » by DayofMourning » Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:55 pm

MettaWorldPanda wrote:Cade going to Detroit and Green going to Houston seem all but locked up from reports. I think Houston is going to regret not taking Mobley.


Mobley to Cleveland is a big win for the Cavs. Some have fostered doubt about he and Allen fitting well together, but they occupy different spaces on the floor. That sentiment is a bit confusing. Quality young team they're putting together when you add Mobley to the mix.
Image

Return to Miami Heat