ImageImageImage

The only time I want Bam to start shooting Threes is when...

Moderators: KingDavid, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, MettaWorldPanda, heat4life

SDC
Senior
And1: 106

The only time I want Bam to start shooting Threes is when... 

Post#1 » by SDC » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:50 am

He is already in his early thirties and he is slowly losing his athleticism.

But no, bam shooting Threes is not the solution to beat Milwaukee sagging off him in the Play offs.

He needs to be reprogrammed... A software upgrade.

He already has a midrange shot-- learn how to use it more.
#McdoOut
contract
RealGM
And1: 20,786

Re: The only time I want Bam to start shooting Threes is when... 

Post#2 » by contract » Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:48 am

You don't want to get carried away with mid-range jump shots. That's exactly what defenses are trying to force you to do.
:meditate: Team Small Ball :meditate:
HeatFanLifer
General Manager
And1: 39,855

Post#3 » by HeatFanLifer » Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:29 pm

Bam does not want to play in the paint. Spo wants him to be the small ball big for the team. It’s not a good combo. Riley needs to intervene and build a solution. Team is not going anywhere if the franchise player and the system of the franchise are not in agreement.
OP for NBA FT record
Kobewade11
General Manager
And1: 15,670

Post#4 » by Kobewade11 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:21 pm

contract wrote:You don't want to get carried away with mid-range jump shots. That's exactly what defenses are trying to force you to do.

You do what your skills dictate you can do.

Is there any reason Bam can't hit this jumper with regularity? If he can, why would we not want him to take those?
SDC
Senior
And1: 106

Post#5 » by SDC » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:26 pm

contract wrote:You don't want to get carried away with mid-range jump shots. That's exactly what defenses are trying to force you to do.

You act like he's Ben Simmons. He actually has a reliable jumper. You have to take what the defense gives you.
#McdoOut
HeatIn5
General Manager
And1: 18,357

Post#6 » by HeatIn5 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:26 am

Kobewade11 wrote:

You do what your skills dictate you can do.

Is there any reason Bam can't hit this jumper with regularity? If he can, why would we not want him to take those?

Because there are some games where he seems utterly afraid to shoot those. And not that he’s off, that he hesitates and messes the flow of the offense. I’d rather him shoot 2/10 confidently and with rhythm.

My biggest problem w bam is that I’m sick of getting killed by guys like Kanter, Adams, Lopez. Bam is clearly undersized in those matchups.
Read on Twitter
contract
RealGM

Post#7 » by contract » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:02 am

HerroBalls wrote:Because there are some games where he seems utterly afraid to shoot those. And not that he’s off, that he hesitates and messes the flow of the offense. I’d rather him shoot 2/10 confidently and with rhythm.

My biggest problem w bam is that I’m sick of getting killed by guys like Kanter, Adams, Lopez. Bam is clearly undersized in those matchups.

If Ben Wallace could bang with Shaq and Yao Ming, Bam is just fine in today's NBA. Or at least as fine as he cares to be.
Hallstar
Head Coach
And1: 6,798

Post#8 » by Hallstar » Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:13 am

SDC wrote:

You act like he's Ben Simmons. He actually has a reliable jumper. You have to take what the defense gives you.

If he has a reliable jumper, then there's no problem working on getting it out to the 3 pt line. More points is a good thing... especially on this team
Bishop45
RealGM
And1: 109,496

Post#9 » by Bishop45 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:06 pm

Mid-range is not a good shot: Bam's not a great shooter: Not shooting the three shrinks the court
Long Live Winnie. Mamba siempre

Rest in Power Chadwick

#PeaceinGaza #FreedomforPalestine
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 79,972

Post#10 » by DayofMourning » Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:28 pm

Bishop45 wrote:Mid-range is not a good shot: Bam's not a great shooter: Not shooting the three shrinks the court

Mid range shot is fine, especially if you can make it. Bam needs to stop second guessing that shot and take it with confidence when his man is ten feet off him. Basketball is certainly a game of rhythm and when he hesitates on taking an open opportunity, he throws the flow of the offense out of whack.
Bishop45
RealGM

Post#11 » by Bishop45 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:02 pm

DayofMourning wrote:
Bishop45 wrote:Mid-range is not a good shot: Bam's not a great shooter: Not shooting the three shrinks the court

Mid range shot is fine, especially if you can make it.

Not especially, only if you make it, with like MJ/DeRozan/KD/Kawhi-like efficiency and Bam ain't that. It's just stubborn to handcuff him like that for some curmudgeon beliefs about bigs

Rest in Power Chadwick

DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by DayofMourning » Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:51 pm

Bishop45 wrote:
DayofMourning wrote:

Not especially, only if you make it, with like MJ/DeRozan/KD/Kawhi-like efficiency and Bam ain't that. It's just stubborn to handcuff him like that for some curmudgeon beliefs about bigs

Handcuffing him? He did that to himself against the Bucks by not taking the shot. He did manage to shoot the 10-16 footer at 46% this past season. Not all time great at that distance like Kawhi (who shot it at 47% from that distance this past season) but close enough...
Bishop45
RealGM

Post#13 » by Bishop45 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:18 pm

DayofMourning wrote:
Bishop45 wrote:
DayofMourning wrote:

Handcuffing him? He did that to himself against the Bucks by not taking the shot. He did manage to shoot the 10-16 footer at 46% this past season. Not all time great at that distance like Kawhi (who shot it at 47% from that distance this past season) but close enough...

Yes, handcuffing him; more range, more space; less space= handcuffing

Rest in Power Chadwick

DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by DayofMourning » Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:30 pm

Bishop45 wrote:
DayofMourning wrote:
Bishop45 wrote:

Well, Lopez was giving him plenty of "space". Can't ask for any more space than he was given in the Bucks series. That was on a shot he can make consistently. If you like space, Bam was given it.

As has been mentioned, take advantage of the opportunities the defense gives you, not adhere to some belief that you have to be shooting it from three to be successful. If teams have to worry about Bam taking and making 46% of his mid range jumpers then they will compensate to defend it and allow the Heat offense other opportunities, like open lanes to the basket.

That Bucks series was a microcosm of how not to play basketball. We shot plenty of threes, they shot poorly from three for the series (31% IIRC) yet they still destroyed us. How did that happen. The Heat shot plenty of threes yet they still lost.
Bishop45
RealGM

Post#15 » by Bishop45 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:18 pm

DayofMourning wrote:
Bishop45 wrote:
DayofMourning wrote:

Well, Lopez was giving him plenty of "space". Can't ask for any more space than he was given in the Bucks series. That was on a shot he can make consistently. If you like space, Bam was given it.

As has been mentioned, take advantage of the opportunities the defense gives you, not adhere to some belief that you have to be shooting it from three to be successful. If teams have to worry about Bam taking and making 46% of his mid range jumpers then they will compensate to defend it and allow the Heat offense other opportunities, like open lanes to the basket.

That Bucks series was a microcosm of how not to play basketball. We shot plenty of threes, they shot poorly from three for the series (31% IIRC) yet they still destroyed us. How did that happen. The Heat shot plenty of threes yet they still lost.

I don't care if it's shot poorly, if our primary handlers are not a threat from three than they're shrinking the court. I rather Brook Lopez guard him 5 feet from the 3pt line than 5 from the basket; in one scenario there's still daylight in our driving lanes

What's the argument for not shooting a larger percentage shot, that would space the floor better?

Rest in Power Chadwick

contract
RealGM

Post#16 » by contract » Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:58 am

Bam is our big man. It would be great if he had a decent 3 point shot in his arsenal, but his primary function should be exploiting the space created by our shooters. He should attack the the rim every chance he gets. Even with Lopez sitting under the basket he should have gone at him over and over again.
Bishop45
RealGM

Post#17 » by Bishop45 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:18 am

contract wrote:

Bam is our big man. It would be great if he had a decent 3 point shot in his arsenal, but his primary function should be exploiting the space created by our shooters. He should attack the the rim every chance he gets. Even with Lopez sitting under the basket he should have gone at him over and over again.

"Should be" is objective, the reality is-- The best version of Bam is a floor spacer because that's the game. There's no player in the game who becomes a lesser player for shooting 3's. There's nothing simpler that he could add to his game to raise his ceiling

Rest in Power Chadwick

BenoUdrihFTL
RealGM
And1: 23,487

Post#18 » by BenoUdrihFTL » Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:50 pm

Bam doesn't need to be a volume 3pt shooter but just possessing that range would be nice if it forces opponents to guard him from out there. Not only for the entire team's spacing but it would be much easier for him to attack if his defender can't sag off him and play the drive
RexBoyWonder
RealGM
And1: 33,444

Post#19 » by RexBoyWonder » Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:03 pm

BenoUdrihFTL wrote:Bam doesn't need to be a volume 3pt shooter but just possessing that range would be nice if it forces opponents to guard him from out there. Not only for the entire team's spacing but it would be much easier for him to attack if his defender can't sag off him and play the drive

You just can't have 2 players in your starting 5 that are afraid to shoot outside shots. 1 non shooters is the most a good offense can afford.

Bam and Jimmy are our max guys - it's almost impossible to win if both are non shooters.
Chalm Downs wrote:his nickname is boywonder ffs
Flash4thewin
RealGM
And1: 8,031

Post#20 » by Flash4thewin » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:51 pm

Bam is not the huge elephant in the room. Butler and his pathetic display playoffs was the issue. The Bucks treating him like Ben Simmons at the 3 point line daring him to shoot. Bam is a secondary issue at best, Butler is the real issue here. Butler was not hurt and the "effort" he displays was comical. Something was just wrong with the team in general in the playoff.

Return to Miami Heat