ImageImageImage

MIAMI HEAT Offseason Thread 2021 Vol.4 - Beasley Time

Moderators: KingDavid, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, MettaWorldPanda, heat4life

AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,848

Re: MIAMI HEAT Offseason Thread 2021 Vol.4 - Beasley Time 

Post#1861 » by AirP. » Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:07 pm

eddieheatfan wrote:
AirP. wrote:
eddieheatfan wrote:you forgot lowry and jimmy who are in the mid 30's as well. its an old frontcourt. i highly doubt that they will do anything meaningful because of injures and aging. lets see what happens, i'm eagerly to find out,2 months to go for the first pre season games

You have a weird definition for mid 30s, Butler is 31 and probably in the best shape of his life. I'll give you that most players drop off in their early to mid 30s but most of those players aren't putting in as much work and dedication into their bodies as Butler is to stay at the top of his game. If you want to be angry about Butler's age be mad at the Miami FO who acquired Butler 2 years ago and waited till this summer to really acquire talent(the 2021 plan).

On the PF situation, since Butler has been in Miami, this is probably the best group of PFs Miami has went into a season with which is still not good, they both at least bring toughness to a roster that was pretty soft on the court last year.
my mistake about butler but lowry is indeed old, the problem with jimmy is that he cant always carry a team and have difficulty scoring so age doesnt really matter even if he is at his prime. though i must say that the heat system does him justice unlike the other teams in which he was a go to scorer

Lowry is getting up there which would be an issue if his game was built off his athletic ability but it's not much like Butler his game is built on skill, toughness and BBIQ. What I worry about with Lowry is the injuries that will take longer to heal then they once did half a decade ago. Lowry will be fine in his role of running the offense, hitting open 3s and playing defense, is he worth 30 mil, probably not but that's what it took to acquire him but he'll absolutely be a difference maker in Miami and a player Spoelstra can count on playing his role every night.

Since acquiring Butler, this should be the best rotation Miami has had by far and that's without Oladipo who will be that 3 level scorer in his prime to really help the team out. Spoelstra's will have a lot less unknowns to deal with and with that, not having to throw #)$( against the wall as much in hopes to find a combination that works.

Don't sweat the ages, with Oladipo coming on board he'll be able to take even more scoring pressure off the rest of the team for the next 2-4 years.

Just think... just 2 years ago the Miami fanbase was facing a future built around Bam, Winslow, Richardson and Robinson(who I expect would have developed just as much without Butler) maybe they could have added another player like Ball or Markkanen, but that type of team isn't anywhere close to as good of a team Miami will have for the next 3 years with Lowry. After those 3 years, if they have success, there might be players pushing to join Bam and Butler while Miami has racked up 3 more future 1st round picks to trade for higher level talent.

Also, when Oladipo comes back, unless the team is doing well enough with Tucker and Herro, I could see a package deal of Herro and others(probably Tucker because of salary filler) to bring in a good PF for the long term. Miami is under the tax now, but has cap space between the tax and the hard cap to possibly make 1 more substantial deal after the free agents are eligible to be traded.

This is a good team and could get better if they need to.
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 144,735

Post#1862 » by MettaWorldPanda » Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:10 am

Read on Twitter

Had a feeling we didn’t want to go more then exhibit 10. Marcus Garrrett is our two way player. Need to sign vet PG and the other two way better served for young 3/4 player.
Hallstar
Head Coach
And1: 6,798

Post#1863 » by Hallstar » Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:13 am

So we couldn't give our best guard in the summer a 2 way deal?
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 79,989

Post#1864 » by DayofMourning » Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:42 am

Surprised.
BFRESH44
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 10,820

Post#1865 » by BFRESH44 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:46 am

BFRESH44 wrote:Garret and Nembhard are my prediction for the two ways. I feel they’ll want two different kind of prospects with two different skill sets. And those two check out for that.

Still feel the same. Good for Deeky though.
3ballbomber
General Manager
And1: 10,027

Post#1866 » by 3ballbomber » Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:14 am

MettaWorldPanda wrote:
Read on Twitter

Had a feeling we didn’t want to go more then exhibit 10. Marcus Garrrett is our two way player. Need to sign vet PG and the other two way better served for young 3/4 player.

kinda shocked here
Championship teams experience adversities. We in that process. Started gm1. Remember this time. Remember this pain. Our time is coming...

Built the right way. Play the right way. Win the right way . .

Virtue, Ethics & Honor
3ballbomber
General Manager
And1: 10,027

Post#1867 » by 3ballbomber » Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:21 am

AirP. wrote:
eddieheatfan wrote:
RexBoyWonder wrote:Still can't believe we're entering the season when our PF rotation is 36YO PJ Tucker, the lesser Morris brother and KZ.

If there's a hole that's going to kill us - it's this one.

Lauri Markkanen still unsigned right?
you forgot lowry and jimmy who are in the mid 30's as well. its an old frontcourt. i highly doubt that they will do anything meaningful because of injures and aging. lets see what happens, i'm eagerly to find out,2 months to go for the first pre season games

You have a weird definition for mid 30s, Butler is 31 and probably in the best shape of his life. I'll give you that most players drop off in their early to mid 30s but most of those players aren't putting in as much work and dedication into their bodies as Butler is to stay at the top of his game. If you want to be angry about Butler's age be mad at the Miami FO who acquired Butler 2 years ago and waited till this summer to really acquire talent(the 2021 plan).

On the PF situation, since Butler has been in Miami, this is probably the best group of PFs Miami has went into a season with which is still not good, they both at least bring toughness to a roster that was pretty soft on the court last year.

I predict Butler's game will age well considering it's not reliant on crazy athleticism. He's well conditioning, is a work horse so extremely fit, built like a bull & has very high bball IQ so does all the right things to help a team thrive & execute. He just can't be expected to lead a team in scoring - this is where Bam needs to eat concrete, score buckets & where Herro comes in also & takes a leap in his game. We have Lowry now also who can shoulder scoring. It shld be a much better season for Butler.
Championship teams experience adversities. We in that process. Started gm1. Remember this time. Remember this pain. Our time is coming...

Built the right way. Play the right way. Win the right way . .

Virtue, Ethics & Honor
RexBoyWonder
RealGM
And1: 33,444

Post#1868 » by RexBoyWonder » Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:04 am

3ballbomber wrote:
MettaWorldPanda wrote:
Read on Twitter

kinda shocked here

Not sure why and how we let Deeky loose.

He's more of a pure PG then both Vincent and Garrett. He showed he can defend, run a team and drive to the rim. All he needed was to work on his 3 ball. He did everything you could've have hoped for at SL.

ONLY reason it makes sense is if :

1) They feel Garrett is just so much better then Deeky so there's no point to add 2 raw PG's.

2) They have a promising SF/PF prospect they want to sign and think that's a bigger need then another PG.
Chalm Downs wrote:his nickname is boywonder ffs
twix2500
RealGM
And1: 22,257

Post#1869 » by twix2500 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:59 pm

Good chance Deeky looked for a place that had less competition. Might not have been Heats choice
RexBoyWonder
RealGM
And1: 33,444

Post#1870 » by RexBoyWonder » Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:47 pm

twix2500 wrote:Good chance Deeky looked for a place that had less competition. Might not have been Heats choice

Less competition then shaky Vincent?!

he could've been the backup PG in a few months behind a 36 vet.
Chalm Downs wrote:his nickname is boywonder ffs
gom
Heat forum: Expert Predictor
And1: 42,453

Post#1871 » by gom » Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:49 pm

The hits just keep coming. I am getting a bad feeling about this season.
I remember 11-30 with these guys. ^
twix2500
RealGM
And1: 22,257

Post#1872 » by twix2500 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:38 pm

RexBoyWonder wrote:
twix2500 wrote:Good chance Deeky looked for a place that had less competition. Might not have been Heats choice

Lowry, Butler, Vincent, Dipo and then Garrett. These 2 way players are not playing early in the season. They are likely going to the g-league for at least the first few months. I doubt any of these rookie guys have any real chance of playing this season for the Heat except for Yurtseven.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#1873 » by MettaWorldPanda » Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:05 pm

twix2500 wrote:
RexBoyWonder wrote:

Lowry, Butler, Vincent, Dipo and then Garrett. These 2 way players are not playing early in the season. They are likely going to the g-league for at least the first few months. I doubt any of these rookie guys have any real chance of playing this season for the Heat except for Yurtseven.

My gut feeling is the Heat want to sign another veteran PG and Deeky was not going to get any sort of playing time this year behind Vincent if he becomes the #3. Marcus Garrett is more built to play the 2/3 and as it stands we needed a defensive upgrade behind Herro and Strus at that spot. Garrett can also play some spot PG and outweighs Deeky by 20 pounds.
AirP.
RealGM

Post#1874 » by AirP. » Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:35 pm

MettaWorldPanda wrote:
twix2500 wrote:
RexBoyWonder wrote:

My gut feeling is the Heat want to sign another veteran PG and Deeky was not going to get any sort of playing time this year behind Vincent if he becomes the #3. Marcus Garrett is more built to play the 2/3 and as it stands we needed a defensive upgrade behind Herro and Strus at that spot. Garrett can also play some spot PG and outweighs Deeky by 20 pounds.

Miami's going to go into the tax to sign someone they're not going to play? Seems kind of stupid to do with the expectation that Miami's going to go in the tax in the next year or 2. Either they're going into the tax for Oladipo(probable) or the next year resigning Herro(doubtful unless he explodes offensively before Oladipo comes back).
HeatingUp3
Veteran
And1: 4,899

Post#1875 » by HeatingUp3 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:47 pm

Can't believe we let him walk. He was our nest PG in summer league. We actually going to give Gabe Vincent a backup roll? :crazy:
Heat_team02
RealGM
And1: 2,895

Post#1876 » by Heat_team02 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:57 pm

MettaWorldPanda wrote:
twix2500 wrote:
RexBoyWonder wrote:

Garrett wingspan: 6'10" weight 195
Jarreau wingspan: 6'7" weight 185

The Career stats also tell the story. Garrett is the better overall shooter & commits less turnovers.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/stats/_/id/4277892/marcus-garrett

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/stats/_/id/4066796/dejon-jarreau
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
AirP.
RealGM

Post#1877 » by AirP. » Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:22 pm

Read on Twitter
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#1878 » by MettaWorldPanda » Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:24 pm

AirP. wrote:
MettaWorldPanda wrote:
twix2500 wrote:Lowry, Butler, Vincent, Dipo and then Garrett. These 2 way players are not playing early in the season. They are likely going to the g-league for at least the first few months. I doubt any of these rookie guys have any real chance of playing this season for the Heat except for Yurtseven.

Miami's going to go into the tax to sign someone they're not going to play? Seems kind of stupid to do with the expectation that Miami's going to go in the tax in the next year or 2. Either they're going into the tax for Oladipo(probable) or the next year resigning Herro(doubtful unless he explodes offensively before Oladipo comes back).

They sign a vet PG with the expectation of getting KZ's salary off the books either by trade or a hush hush waiver pickup deal from an interested team. This is why they are probably looking at someone to fill KZ's void with a two way player. We can sign an veteran like Rondo or Bradley to something anywhere between 2.5 or 2.7 based off vet minimum service time but they only count for 1.6 against the cap. KZ makes 1.7 so if they can get him off the books before the trade deadline they will be out of the tax.
Feel_the_Heat15
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,455

Post#1879 » by Feel_the_Heat15 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:32 pm

Heat_team02 wrote:
MettaWorldPanda wrote:
twix2500 wrote:Lowry, Butler, Vincent, Dipo and then Garrett. These 2 way players are not playing early in the season. They are likely going to the g-league for at least the first few months. I doubt any of these rookie guys have any real chance of playing this season for the Heat except for Yurtseven.

Garrett wingspan: 6'10" weight 195
Jarreau wingspan: 6'7" weight 185

The Career stats also tell the story. Garrett is the better overall shooter & commits less turnovers.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/stats/_/id/4277892/marcus-garrett

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/stats/_/id/4066796/dejon-jarreau

I think Garrett is the better player but he's not a better shooter, a lot of his shots are attempted near the rim. Also, he's a worse playmaker.
caliban
NBA TnT Forum: Expert Predictor
And1: 3,231

Post#1880 » by caliban » Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:34 pm

To me Garrett looked more intriguing in summer league but what do I know. Far superior defense with a long ball that at least could get there if you squint and pray.

Jarreau passed up open looks every other possession clearly scared to show off his long jumper. I also found that the ball was sticky in his hands in the half court with really late simple reads. Handle was also quite shaky.

All in all I'm having a hard time seeing a player with so so defensive instincts and a never 3 ball making it as a complementary player these days.
20-21 apbrMetrics RMSE Team win projections winner. Three time RMSE runner up
RGM TnT board Team Win predictions winner

Return to Miami Heat