ImageImageImage

MIAMI HEAT Offseason Thread 2021 Vol.5 - What Time Is It?

twix2500
RealGM
And1: 22,248

Re: MIAMI HEAT Offseason Thread 2021 Vol.5 - What Time Is It? 

Post#21 » by twix2500 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:26 am

AirP. wrote:
RexBoyWonder wrote:Is it crazy to wish we would have added Kuzma instead of PJ Tucker?

I just have such a terrible vision on our PF rotation, Tucker averaging 4 points playing 30 minutes and Morris looking like a waste of space. They'll put So much unneeded pressure on Bam to be an elite scorer, which he isn't.

I wouldn't worry too much, with Lowry at PG Butler can look to score more vs pass. At age 31 Butler posted his 2nd best scoring rate of 23pts per36 while also having career best rates of 7.6 ast per36 and getting 7.4 reb per36. Toss in a better PG from the 3pt line and his ability to put Bam in better scoring positions and this team should be fine scoring, Bam doesn't have to be a go to scorer, he got 20 a night in the flow of the offense, with better playmaking PG his efficiency and/or point production should go up without changing his game.

Miami also has a decent frontcout coming off the bench for the entire year in Dedmon and Morris, toss in Strus who can be off or hit a bunch of 3s, Herro is Herro and of course Vincent which is the biggest question mark for the bench but hopefully he does fine having a role and the stability of a contract behind him.

This is the best roster Miami has had since Butler joined them, the only issue is that the East has gotten better, there aren't as many easy teams to beat up on as in the recent past.

Do not start that narrative, Bam needs to be a go too scorer. The same with Ayton. A player who just plays in the flow of the offense can be schemed out of the game.
puppa bear
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,500

Post#22 » by puppa bear » Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:18 am

SA37 wrote:
AirP. wrote:
Read on Twitter

Incredibly, that is a massive improvement over last year's unis. Those have to be the worst of all-time for any franchise in any sport.

It might be just me, but I love the ransom note unis. It’s the first alternate in a while that I’m genuinely hanging out for & not deliberating over.
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,832

Post#23 » by AirP. » Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:02 pm

twix2500 wrote:
AirP. wrote:
RexBoyWonder wrote:Is it crazy to wish we would have added Kuzma instead of PJ Tucker?

I just have such a terrible vision on our PF rotation, Tucker averaging 4 points playing 30 minutes and Morris looking like a waste of space. They'll put So much unneeded pressure on Bam to be an elite scorer, which he isn't.

I wouldn't worry too much, with Lowry at PG Butler can look to score more vs pass. At age 31 Butler posted his 2nd best scoring rate of 23pts per36 while also having career best rates of 7.6 ast per36 and getting 7.4 reb per36. Toss in a better PG from the 3pt line and his ability to put Bam in better scoring positions and this team should be fine scoring, Bam doesn't have to be a go to scorer, he got 20 a night in the flow of the offense, with better playmaking PG his efficiency and/or point production should go up without changing his game.

Miami also has a decent frontcout coming off the bench for the entire year in Dedmon and Morris, toss in Strus who can be off or hit a bunch of 3s, Herro is Herro and of course Vincent which is the biggest question mark for the bench but hopefully he does fine having a role and the stability of a contract behind him.

This is the best roster Miami has had since Butler joined them, the only issue is that the East has gotten better, there aren't as many easy teams to beat up on as in the recent past.

Do not start that narrative, Bam needs to be a go too scorer. The same with Ayton. A player who just plays in the flow of the offense can be schemed out of the game.

Bam is not a go to scorer now and probably won't ever be. He has athletic ability and a jumper, that's pretty much it. He is a very good scorer in the offense that doesn't have to be fed. I have no idea where all of the people on this board think he can just become a go to scorer, he doesn't have that mindset now and probably won't ever be in his mindset. That being said, he's getting around 20 a night without the team having to run a bunch of plays for him to score, that's HIGHLY valuable, especially when you start adding better players around him. Miami's go to scorers are going to be Butler(not in facilitator mode), Oladipo, Herro and Lowry and probably in that order when everyone is healthy.

For me, I'll be good with Bam if he can add range to his jumper for a 3pt shot and also some actual solid moves in the low post to punish teams going small.
twix2500
RealGM

Post#24 » by twix2500 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:03 pm

AirP. wrote:
twix2500 wrote:
AirP. wrote:I wouldn't worry too much, with Lowry at PG Butler can look to score more vs pass. At age 31 Butler posted his 2nd best scoring rate of 23pts per36 while also having career best rates of 7.6 ast per36 and getting 7.4 reb per36. Toss in a better PG from the 3pt line and his ability to put Bam in better scoring positions and this team should be fine scoring, Bam doesn't have to be a go to scorer, he got 20 a night in the flow of the offense, with better playmaking PG his efficiency and/or point production should go up without changing his game.

Bam is not a go to scorer now and probably won't ever be. He has athletic ability and a jumper, that's pretty much it. He is a very good scorer in the offense that doesn't have to be fed. I have no idea where all of the people on this board think he can just become a go to scorer, he doesn't have that mindset now and probably won't ever be in his mindset. That being said, he's getting around 20 a night without the team having to run a bunch of plays for him to score, that's HIGHLY valuable, especially when you start adding better players around him. Miami's go to scorers are going to be Butler(not in facilitator mode), Oladipo, Herro and Lowry and probably in that order when everyone is healthy.

For me, I'll be good with Bam if he can add range to his jumper for a 3pt shot and also some actual solid moves in the low post to punish teams going small.
Bam can most certainly become a go too scorer. Kemp wasn't a go too scorer for most of his career until he became a Cav. Its the reason they lost to the Bulls.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Heat_team02
RealGM
And1: 2,895

Post#25 » by Heat_team02 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:54 pm

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
BenoUdrihFTL
RealGM
And1: 23,487

Post#26 » by BenoUdrihFTL » Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:55 pm

I think it's not only realistic to hope for Bam to become a 21-23 ppg scorer, but it's also a reasonable expectation to place on him

His points per 100 possessions jumped from 23.1 in 2020 to 27.7 last season, a 19.9% increase. If he does that again then we're looking at 33.2 this season. If Lowry increases our offensive pace, then that would translate to an even greater raw ppg jump. But even if we stay at a miserably low pace of 96.6 (29th in the NBA), Bam at 33.2 pp100 in 33.5 mpg would equal about 22.5 ppg. This isn't even taking into account the likelihood that Lowry will be routinely getting Bam in MUCH better positions to score

Now whether that would make Bam a "go-to scorer" depends on how you define that term. Imo it's virtually impossible for a big to be a resilient go-to scorer in today's league because bigs are so dependent on other players to get them the ball in the right spots. Jokic is the outlier of outliers here because he's a heliocentric offense unto himself from anywhere on the floor, but even an MVP caliber big like Embiid shrunk in the 4th quarters vs Atlanta because the team's playmaking broke down and the result was Embiid catching the ball in uncomfortable positions and forcing turnovers and midrange clanks
Bishop45
RealGM
And1: 109,489

Post#27 » by Bishop45 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:09 pm

Don't see Bam as a go-to scorer on a championship team. If he learns to shoot and gets better in the mid-post, he could be a great third player on a contender
Long Live Winnie. Mamba siempre

Rest in Power Chadwick

#PeaceinGaza #FreedomforPalestine
twix2500
RealGM

Post#28 » by twix2500 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:09 pm

BenoUdrihFTL wrote:I think it's not only realistic to hope for Bam to become a 21-23 ppg scorer, but it's also a reasonable expectation to place on him

His points per 100 possessions jumped from 23.1 in 2020 to 27.7 last season, a 19.9% increase. If he does that again then we're looking at 33.2 this season. If Lowry increases our offensive pace, then that would translate to an even greater raw ppg jump. But even if we stay at a miserably low pace of 96.6 (29th in the NBA), Bam at 33.2 pp100 in 33.5 mpg would equal about 22.5 ppg. This isn't even taking into account the likelihood that Lowry will be routinely getting Bam in MUCH better positions to score

Now whether that would make Bam a "go-to scorer" depends on how you define that term. Imo it's virtually impossible for a big to be a resilient go-to scorer in today's league because bigs are so dependent on other players to get them the ball in the right spots. Jokic is the outlier of outliers here because he's a heliocentric offense unto himself from anywhere on the floor, but even an MVP caliber big like Embiid shrunk in the 4th quarters vs Atlanta because the team's playmaking broke down and the result was Embiid catching the ball in uncomfortable positions and forcing turnovers and midrange clanks
I do understand how a big cant be a a go too scorer. A go too scorer doesn't have to solely bring the ball up and create a shot ball handling at the top of the three point line. It's not like Bam is not capable. All he has to do is take the open shots and take his man one on one. Stop trying to lob your way through the game.

BenoUdrihFTL
RealGM
And1: 23,487

Post#29 » by BenoUdrihFTL » Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:27 pm

twix2500 wrote:
BenoUdrihFTL wrote:I think it's not only realistic to hope for Bam to become a 21-23 ppg scorer, but it's also a reasonable expectation to place on him

I do understand how a big cant be a a go too scorer. A go too scorer doesn't have to solely bring the ball up and create a shot ball handling at the top of the three point line. It's not like Bam is not capable. All he has to do is take the open shots and take his man one on one. Stop trying to lob your way through the game.

Defenses are allowed to double players before they catch the ball nowadays, so the pre-zone approach of simply having a guard dump it into the post can now be disrupted if the defense is willing to commit to doubling the big before the entry pass is made

Now if Bam can develop to a point where he can consistently create scoring for himself and others from the perimeter -- like say a poor man's Jokic -- then that's another story. That would be amazing and I'd love to see it, but that would require a significant evolution of both his game and mentality, whereas my whole premise of Bam realistically increasing his scoring output is really based on getting better at being a finisher and having Lowry to facilitate that for him
twix2500
RealGM

Post#30 » by twix2500 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:52 pm

BenoUdrihFTL wrote:
twix2500 wrote:

Defenses are allowed to double players before they catch the ball nowadays, so the pre-zone approach of simply having a guard dump it into the post can now be disrupted if the defense is willing to commit to doubling the big before the entry pass is made

Now if Bam can develop to a point where he can consistently create scoring for himself and others from the perimeter -- like say a poor man's Jokic -- then that's another story. That would be amazing and I'd love to see it, but that would require a significant evolution of both his game and mentality, whereas my whole premise of Bam realistically increasing his scoring output is really based on getting better at being a finisher and having Lowry to facilitate that for him
Defenses can double anywhere on the floor. That is why you have off the ball complementary players who can expose double teams. And that is why you want your go too player to be a good passer, to pass out of double teams. You want to draw double teams to get open shots. That one of the points of pick n roll.

IceColdCubano
General Manager
And1: 16,574

Post#31 » by IceColdCubano » Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:17 pm

There's a type of body control, fluidity, balance, movement mechanics, & aggressiveness that certain bigs have that allow them to grow their scoring output as they get seasoned. You see that in the Amare's, Bosh, Duncans, etc. I am a homer like most here but Bam does not have that. He is your prototypical athletic ( without the amazing body mechanics from superstars you see ), He has good vision which helps especially in our system to pass out of the post. however he also does not have the footwork or even a modest polished go to move. He can score off putbacks, lobs, transition buckets, and the occasional open pocket passes during pick & roll enough to get him in the low 20's which is amazing. In a team where he is the only go to scorer perhaps he may develop a more aggressive incentive to score, but with this team that just isn't an option without impacting pacing from the other scorers. I do believe lowry will help make him more efficient perhaps raising 1-4 ppg or without raising his touches.
IggieCC
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 239,684

Post#32 » by IggieCC » Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:56 pm

Bishop45 wrote:Don't see Bam as a go-to scorer on a championship team. If he learns to shoot and gets better in the mid-post, he could be a great third player on a contender

:noway:

this is such a lazy hot take from a typical Brooklyn Nets fan whose 3rd best player boasts whoppin 27/5/6 on 50/40/92% shooting :noway: guess what the rest of 29 NBA teams don't have that kind of luxury and are more than happy to have Bam as the 2nd best player :noway:

millennials :noway:
3rd best winnng%(73.3%) + most wins(11w) = best true winning % OP
Sole Multiple Banner Holder of 2021-2022 SZN. FACTS
IggieCC
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 239,684

Post#33 » by IggieCC » Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:57 pm

I don't have time to go through every single post, but I'm pretty sure someone slipped in a Jeremy Lin workout video :x SMDH
3rd best winnng%(73.3%) + most wins(11w) = best true winning % OP
Sole Multiple Banner Holder of 2021-2022 SZN. FACTS
AirP.
RealGM

Post#34 » by AirP. » Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:16 pm

twix2500 wrote:
AirP. wrote:
twix2500 wrote:

Bam can most certainly become a go too scorer. Kemp wasn't a go too scorer for most of his career until he became a Cav. Its the reason they lost to the Bulls.

Bam has never had the mindset of being a scorer, he'll sometimes take advantage of situations when they present themselves to him like the Celtic series but overall, he's not that guy.

Cleveland Kemp? Really?

Kemp 2nd year to last year in Seattle(7 years)...
17.7 points, 10.4 reb, 2 ast, 53% FG%
Cleveland(3 years)...
18.5 points, 9.1 reb, 2.1 ast, 44% FG%

Give me the Seattle Reign Man.

If it happens one day for Bam wonderful, but if you think it's happening anytime soon I don't know what to tell you. Butler had a bet with him on 3pt shots to get Bam to shoot 3s, that didn't go too well either. He's just not that guy now or anytime soon if ever, luckily he doesn't have to press himself into that uncomfortable role for the next few years.

I guess I don't get it, why try to force a guy from being a 20 ppg scorer without forcing things into a 23-25 ppg guy by forcing his shots? You need guys like Bam and this year Butler should be looking for his shot vs looking for his and other's shots, Butler could end up having his highest scoring rates of his career the next 2-3 years. Butler's the guy who put up 30 points in the first half in Phoenix just to make a point that he could be a scorer and also had a 40 point half as a Bull, he can score more then he has in Miami and now has a very good passing PG to take away the facilitating duties from him to allow him to concentrate on scoring. Also... Oladipo could be near back to form starting the 2022-2023 season.
MorbidHEAT
Veteran
And1: 5,147

Post#35 » by MorbidHEAT » Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:50 pm

Jimmy Butler better be the best player in the league next year. He has to play with the fury and anger of knowing his ESPN girl won't interview him anymore.
Beenie
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,336

Post#36 » by Beenie » Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:17 pm

IceColdCubano wrote:

There's a type of body control, fluidity, balance, movement mechanics, & aggressiveness that certain bigs have that allow them to grow their scoring output as they get seasoned. You see that in the Amare's, Bosh, Duncans, etc. I am a homer like most here but Bam does not have that. He is your prototypical athletic ( without the amazing body mechanics from superstars you see ), He has good vision which helps especially in our system to pass out of the post. however he also does not have the footwork or even a modest polished go to move. He can score off putbacks, lobs, transition buckets, and the occasional open pocket passes during pick & roll enough to get him in the low 20's which is amazing. In a team where he is the only go to scorer perhaps he may develop a more aggressive incentive to score, but with this team that just isn't an option without impacting pacing from the other scorers. I do believe lowry will help make him more efficient perhaps raising 1-4 ppg or without raising his touches.

+1

Bam has no counter moves. If the defender beats him to his spot, he will often stop his dribble and turn around and look for help.

I think Bam has it in him to develop a counter euro, spin, hessy, etc. but as of last year, he didn't even have the confidence to attempt those moves on most nights. And when he did, it was mostly ugly.
AirP.
RealGM

Post#37 » by AirP. » Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:46 am

twix2500 wrote:

A go to scorer is a guy you can give the ball to in the half court offense and he can get a better shot by himself then the team could running the offense.

What Bam does is great, he's a big who can get high percentage lobs for scores, hit open jumpers, can handle the ball for a big, has good vision to help make plays for other teammates and sets great picks. What Bam needs to add to his game right now is two things, a 3 point shot and the ability to score against smaller players in the low post at a high percentage. Anytime Bam gets a smaller guy on him he needs to go to the low post and put up a high percentage shot over the shorter player or use his vision and playmaking to find an open teammate.

By the time the playoffs come around, Miami might have a bunch of players to run the pick and roll or DHO with Bam... Butler, Lowry, Oladipo, Herro, Robinson and quite possibly Strus also. Bam is vital in the offense to help enhance the rest of the team, I believe that's why they drafted Precious to be able to keep running dangerous pick in rolls with another strong and athletic big. Hopefully later in the year or next season Yurtseven is able to do that off the bench behind Bam.
AirP.
RealGM

Post#38 » by AirP. » Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:53 am

Kobewade11
General Manager
And1: 15,666

Post#39 » by Kobewade11 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:58 am

Duncan ‘David Letterman’ Robinson
AirP.
RealGM

Post#40 » by AirP. » Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:36 pm

Man... Chicago let go of Markkanan for a protected 1st, a 2nd and DJJ and Cleveland signed him for around 15 mil a year. For that price or a little more you'd think Miami would have been chasing that hard after acquiring Lowry. That could have been Miami's long term stretch 4 next to Bam.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Return to Miami Heat