ImageImageImage

MIAMI HEAT Offseason Thread 2021 Vol.5 - What Time Is It?

Moderators: KingDavid, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, MettaWorldPanda, heat4life

Trapstar3
Junior
And1: 1,457

Re: MIAMI HEAT Offseason Thread 2021 Vol.5 - What Time Is It? 

Post#221 » by Trapstar3 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:55 am

MettaWorldPanda wrote:
Trapstar3 wrote:We really gave up Gogi's No.7 to Lowry huh?

Gogi said it was cool.

I didn't know that, but then again, you wouldn't expect Goran to say something like "ayo brate F Lowry I want No.7 to be retired" even if he felt that way :lol:
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 144,735

Post#222 » by MettaWorldPanda » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:16 pm

Trapstar3 wrote:
MettaWorldPanda wrote:

Gogi said it was cool.

I didn't know that, but then again, you wouldn't expect Goran to say something like "ayo brate F Lowry I want No.7 to be retired" even if he felt that way :lol:

The number can still be retired. I think it's all good all the way around. Much ado about nothing.
Hallstar
Head Coach
And1: 6,798

Post#223 » by Hallstar » Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:38 pm

should Dragic be retired?
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,852

Post#224 » by AirP. » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:45 pm

Read on Twitter
twix2500
RealGM
And1: 22,257

Post#225 » by twix2500 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:17 pm

Hallstar wrote:should Dragic be retired?
I'm a fan/supporter of Dragic. But I'm not sure the reasoning of retiring his number. He was a good player but his achievements as a Heat are not lift his jersey to the rafters worthy. His achievements are not better than Siekley and Glen Rice.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
BenoUdrihFTL
RealGM
And1: 23,487

Post#226 » by BenoUdrihFTL » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:15 pm

Of course Gogi's jersey should be retired, he was the 2nd best Slovenian PG to ever lace em up for Miami
Rodrizzle
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,482

Post#227 » by Rodrizzle » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:41 pm

BenoUdrihFTL wrote:Of course Gogi's jersey should be retired, he was the 2nd best Slovenian PG to ever lace em up for Miami

I BELIEVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS....MY FRIEND!!!!
Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 71,938

Post#228 » by Wiltside » Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:01 am

Gogi was a brilliant player and loyal servant, but I think retired jerseys should be saved for the truly elite players. Personally, I think jerseys are retired a bit too flippantly. We're gonna run out of numbers soon.
Formerly BG44, MB30 and Wade County at BasketballForum.com
3ballbomber
General Manager
And1: 10,030

Post#229 » by 3ballbomber » Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:54 am

twix2500 wrote:
I'm a fan/supporter of Dragic. But I'm not sure the reasoning of retiring his number. He was a good player but his achievements as a Heat are not lift his jersey to the rafters worthy. His achievements are not better than Siekley and Glen Rice.

The argument for Dragic is what if we had won a Championship against LA? Most would agree w/ retiring his number. Because we didn't he's not worthy. But he helped us to get there as 2nd highest scorer in the team in PO's? Then he got injured & as we saw broke his heart. He showed his heart & what a warrior he was to play through the injury as it hurt him to not help his brothers. Furthermore we also had Bam injured & hobbled - who knows what could have happned had we been fully healthy considering we took them to 6 gm's injured. This show of character, dedication & heart was why we chased Dragic to his home town & put up banners. He was worthy for us to do that, so i believe he is also worth us retiring his jersey for that same reason. Goran showed what Heat culture was all about, toughness, integrity, brotherhood & doing all it takes to compete and win.
Championship teams experience adversities. We in that process. Started gm1. Remember this time. Remember this pain. Our time is coming...

Built the right way. Play the right way. Win the right way . .

Virtue, Ethics & Honor
MorbidHEAT
Veteran
And1: 5,148

Post#230 » by MorbidHEAT » Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:40 am

Dragic is in my top 7 favorite Heat players of all time. We shouldn't retire his jersey though. Jersey retirements should be for the elite, career long loyalty like Haslem....or for Michael Jordan (that was sarcastic....that still irritates me til this day).
twix2500
RealGM
And1: 22,257

Post#231 » by twix2500 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:44 am

3ballbomber wrote:
twix2500 wrote:

The argument for Dragic is what if we had won a Championship against LA? Most would agree w/ retiring his number. Because we didn't he's not worthy. But he helped us to get there as 2nd highest scorer in the team in PO's? Then he got injured & as we saw broke his heart. He showed his heart & what a warrior he was to play through the injury as it hurt him to not help his brothers. Furthermore we also had Bam injured & hobbled - who knows what could have happned had we been fully healthy considering we took them to 6 gm's injured. This show of character, dedication & heart was why we chased Dragic to his home town & put up banners. He was worthy for us to do that, so i believe he is also worth us retiring his jersey for that same reason. Goran showed what Heat culture was all about, toughness, integrity, brotherhood & doing all it takes to compete and win.

Yeah if Heat won the chip with him as a main reason for winning then yes I think the conversation would be legit. But making it to the finals but then gets immediately hurt took the opportunity away to prove himself on the big stage. I would think retiring his number based off of sympathy is a bit much. Or basing off What If, is more of a reason he is not.

Now I can understand if he remain healthy, played big time in finals but lost. I can say its a reasonable conversation, but not forgone conclusions.

In case of Tim Hardaway as a comparison. He was part of an elite Heat Team, an All-Star and an Olympic Gold medalist as a representative of the Heat and a HOF quality career. Also as a Heat historical reference, he was a main guy who first made the Heat a prominent team/organization. He was a face figure. When people talked about Heat, it was Zo and Hardaway. When you say Heat, do fans think Dragic and Whiteside?

It seems throughout Dragic tenure as a Heat, Haslem been that face figure.

I hate sounding like I'm hating because I really liked Dragic. But I find it difficult to explain why his jersey hanging from the rafters.

MorbidHEAT
Veteran
And1: 5,148

Post#232 » by MorbidHEAT » Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:46 am

Reports are we don't want Avery Bradley. Wonder why...his injury doesn't seem like a reason to not sign a potential backup point guard who is a good defender and can shoot well enough.

I also believe we should at least work out Isiah Thomas Jr....low risk, high potential.
IggieCC
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 239,684

Post#233 » by IggieCC » Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:11 am

BenoUdrihFTL wrote:Of course Gogi's jersey should be retired, he was the 2nd best Slovenian PG to ever lace em up for Miami

3rd best winnng%(73.3%) + most wins(11w) = best true winning % OP
Sole Multiple Banner Holder of 2021-2022 SZN. FACTS
Heat_team02
RealGM
And1: 2,895

Post#234 » by Heat_team02 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:55 pm

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
oreon
Analyst
And1: 6,208

Post#235 » by oreon » Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:50 pm

MorbidHEAT wrote:Reports are we don't want Avery Bradley. Wonder why...his injury doesn't seem like a reason to not sign a potential backup point guard who is a good defender and can shoot well enough.

I also believe we should at least work out Isiah Thomas Jr....low risk, high potential.

But he's not a backup point guard. He can't handle the ball for long stretches. I do agree a backup pg is needed. I don't understand why there isn't an urgency to get one. It's the biggest hole in this team.
Sorry but Gabe is not a NBA player and we are putting Herro in a bad position if we expect him to play in that role. He's just not a pg or playmaker. Herro should focus on scoring and not being a defensive liability.
3ballbomber
General Manager
And1: 10,030

Post#236 » by 3ballbomber » Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:22 am

twix2500 wrote:[I would think retiring his number based off of sympathy is a bit much. Or basing off What If, is more of a reason he is not.

When you say Heat, do fans think Dragic and Whiteside?

whiteside & Dragic in the same sentence :o

Nvr stated out of sympathy or what if (although no Dragic no finals imo). But what he showed of himself....his character, his spirit, his toughness. He personified our Culture at it's absolute finest. Based off that it's worth taking a look & consideration. Do i think they will, no. But imo he deserves it non the less. We retired MJ, who has nvr put on a Heat jerz. Dragic bled, shed tears & fought for us.
Championship teams experience adversities. We in that process. Started gm1. Remember this time. Remember this pain. Our time is coming...

Built the right way. Play the right way. Win the right way . .

Virtue, Ethics & Honor
HeatFanLifer
General Manager
And1: 39,855

Post#237 » by HeatFanLifer » Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:24 am

oreon wrote:
MorbidHEAT wrote:Reports are we don't want Avery Bradley. Wonder why...his injury doesn't seem like a reason to not sign a potential backup point guard who is a good defender and can shoot well enough.

But he's not a backup point guard. He can't handle the ball for long stretches. I do agree a backup pg is needed. I don't understand why there isn't an urgency to get one. It's the biggest hole in this team.
Sorry but Gabe is not a NBA player and we are putting Herro in a bad position if we expect him to play in that role. He's just not a pg or playmaker. Herro should focus on scoring and not being a defensive liability.

Management remains committed to a position-less team. It’s a system that appeared to be successful during the Lebron years and has been something Spo has tried to replicate ever since. His logic is the team does not need a backup pg because every player can play point. Let’s see what happens in the 20-25 games Lowry misses this season.
OP for NBA FT record
Hallstar
Head Coach
And1: 6,798

Post#238 » by Hallstar » Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:11 pm

3ballbomber wrote:
twix2500 wrote:[I would think retiring his number based off of sympathy is a bit much. Or basing off What If, is more of a reason he is not.

When you say Heat, do fans think Dragic and Whiteside?

whiteside & Dragic in the same sentence :o

Nvr stated out of sympathy or what if (although no Dragic no finals imo). But what he showed of himself....his character, his spirit, his toughness. He personified our Culture at it's absolute finest. Based off that it's worth taking a look & consideration. Do i think they will, no. But imo he deserves it non the less. We retired MJ, who has nvr put on a Heat jerz. Dragic bled, shed tears & fought for us.

For the first couple years Whiteside was def more valued here than Dragic
Kobewade11
General Manager
And1: 15,672

Post#239 » by Kobewade11 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:25 pm

I’m sure this stuff bothers fans more than it does players, but this is actually kind of corny to me..should have made him pick a new number.
oreon
Analyst
And1: 6,208

Post#240 » by oreon » Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:15 am

HeatFanLifer wrote:
oreon wrote:

Management remains committed to a position-less team. It’s a system that appeared to be successful during the Lebron years and has been something Spo has tried to replicate ever since. His logic is the team does not need a backup pg because every player can play point. Let’s see what happens in the 20-25 games Lowry misses this season.

Norris Cole and Chalmers played the pg position in college and high school. You could trust them with 20 mins of handling the ball and running some sets. Plus back then we had a prime Bron and Wade who could both playmake. And Bron could play huge minutes as well.
It made sense then but not now. Maybe it works out but we are taking a risk for no reason. Lowry being old could easily miss a month of injuries and if it doesn't work that could cost wins.
The Heat path to ECF finals is very narrow and seeding matters for us. Nets will be 1st seed and Bucks likely 2nd. Heat need to get 3rd otherwise forget about getting past round 2.

Return to Miami Heat