ImageImageImage

Miami Heat Regular Season Thread 21-22 Vol. 3

Moderators: KingDavid, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside

Flash4thewin
RealGM
And1: 8,031

Re: Miami Heat Regular Season Thread 21-22 Vol. 3 

Post#1921 » by Flash4thewin » Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:40 pm

3ammy3uck3ts wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Wow, unreal.

His numbers look better than his playoff numbers last post season so I guess that’s an improvement?
3ammy3uck3ts
RealGM
And1: 34,922

Post#1922 » by 3ammy3uck3ts » Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:28 pm

Read on Twitter

If he’s going to play like this then were good when it comes to having a superstar but everyone else has to fall in line and play their role and Jimmy has to be much better in the 4th. No more **** around
#FreeBam
IceColdCubano
General Manager
And1: 16,558

Post#1923 » by IceColdCubano » Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:39 am

3ammy3uck3ts wrote:
Read on Twitter

If he’s going to play like this then were good when it comes to having a superstar but everyone else has to fall in line and play their role and Jimmy has to be much better in the 4th. No more **** around

What are those averages in the 4th quarte only???
3ammy3uck3ts
RealGM
And1: 34,922

Post#1924 » by 3ammy3uck3ts » Sun Mar 27, 2022 3:32 am

IceColdCubano wrote:
3ammy3uck3ts wrote:
Read on Twitter

What are those averages in the 4th quarte only???

0-0-0-0%-0%-0%
#FreeBam
carnageta
Veteran
And1: 6,972

Post#1925 » by carnageta » Sun Mar 27, 2022 3:35 am

Was hoping we could end the season with at least 30 wins at home. Most we can get now is 29.
RexBoyWonder
RealGM
And1: 33,432

Post#1926 » by RexBoyWonder » Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:54 am

Not sure Exactly what's going on, but my perspective is this :

The league is extermmly ballanced this year, and 2 weeks ago when we were rolling I thought we had like a 20 % chance to win a ring this year.

I still give us around that chance - there are a lot of teams that can beat us, but we can also beat everyone else if things break right for us.

I'm not sure being a 1seed and playing the Nets in first round is a better path then being 3rd and playing the Cavs for example.

Bottom line - it's all about the playoffs performance. We need to be playing our best when they start.
Chalm Downs wrote:his nickname is boywonder ffs
Bishop45
RealGM
And1: 109,469

Post#1927 » by Bishop45 » Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:12 am

We still have a shot

Our largest issues to overcome would be front-end talent and rotations-- we can do something about the latter, so hopefully we have the right rotations to make us competitive this yr. It's a tough field so I'm not mad regardless of outcome this season, even if it's first round out
Long Live Winnie. Mamba siempre

Rest in Power Chadwick

#PeaceinGaza #FreedomforPalestine
twix2500
RealGM
And1: 22,243

Post#1928 » by twix2500 » Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:06 pm

Bishop45 wrote:We still have a shot

Our largest issues to overcome would be front-end talent and rotations-- we can do something about the latter, so hopefully we have the right rotations to make us competitive this yr. It's a tough field so I'm not mad regardless of outcome this season, even if it's first round out

The rotation is obvious. The problem is the play calling for the closing unit and them learning how to play with each other..
Grumpy Heat Fan
General Manager
And1: 8,305

Post#1929 » by Grumpy Heat Fan » Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:41 pm

I think we're tanking to avoid a tough first round matchup, so our players dont get gassed in the playoffs early
"As for me personally, I don't truly care how much I make these days, my main focus is on playing for a winner." - Dirk Nowitzki, July 2016
eddieheatfan
RealGM
And1: 24,981

Post#1930 » by eddieheatfan » Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:45 pm

Grumpy Heat Fan wrote:I think we're tanking to avoid a tough first round matchup, so our players dont get gassed in the playoffs early
nice theory, sure as hell beats that the team is imploding, that's for sure. hope you are correct though i'm not holding my breath ....
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 79,880

Post#1931 » by DayofMourning » Sun Mar 27, 2022 3:40 pm

At least we don't have to play tonight.
EMC5466
Rookie
And1: 2,396

Post#1932 » by EMC5466 » Sun Mar 27, 2022 3:49 pm

I didn’t want to post this back then for fear of getting ripped but I thought the team looked it’s best when it was Kyle Lowry and a bunch of young guys around him earlier this season. Jimmy and Bam don’t fit together.
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,771

Post#1933 » by AirP. » Sun Mar 27, 2022 3:58 pm

So I'm starting to go through these last 4 game using the Play by Play video on nba.com(I don't know, I may just get to disgusted and there's sooooooo many plays to look at). Just off a few plays, the spacing is horrific and it looks a lot like the off the ball players aren't doing the smart plays anymore. I'm kind of disgusted with what I'm seeing so I'm not sure how much digging and posting I'll do.

For instance, the Herro TO, Herro steals back the ball, KD strips Butler...
4 on 3
Context: Herro had his pass stolen but hustled back and stole the Brooklyn fast break pass, a fast break the other way. Herro passes off to Butler and goes to the opposite corner where PJ and his man is.

I believe this play should have ended in a Bam dunk or possibly a short uncontested shot for Butler. The issue, the communications, chemistry between Herro and Tucker OR Tucker just did the wrong move. Herro DID the right play by going to his right, getting out of Tucker's corner for spacing(not sure if he was suppose to stay there in the corner with Tucker there), Tucker did not see Herro move, Butler fakes a jumper, gets Brown in the air and now it's up to KD to stop Butler by leaving Bam by himself under the basket, Butler sees KD come to help Brown(Butler's defender) which should have left Bam wide open but Tucker's man follows Tucker and is easily able to take away the pass that Butler was going to make to Bam, Butler has to bring down the pass and try to reset(looks like he's pumping again but really isn't, the passing lane was taken away) and KD takes that opportunity to strip the pass. This just happened to be a play that stuck out to me so I went to it first.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Here's a Link to the video of that play.

There are just so many bad decisions off the ball that are screwing plays up.

Also, Butler looks to be trying to help the spacing taking some catch and shoot corner 3s, unless that dramatically gets better those shots need to be shelfed this season.
IceColdCubano
General Manager

Post#1934 » by IceColdCubano » Sun Mar 27, 2022 4:07 pm

eddieheatfan wrote:
Grumpy Heat Fan wrote:I think we're tanking to avoid a tough first round matchup, so our players dont get gassed in the playoffs early
nice theory, sure as hell beats that the team is imploding, that's for sure. hope you are correct though i'm not holding my breath ....

I doubt this severely. Pat Riley’s ego well not tolerate tanking with this roster. Our team looks completely owned by the opposition not from lack of trying from this fake losing theory to get out of the first seed. This team cares too much, sometimes the simply answer is the answer. We’re a flawed team, we’re getting our playbook exposed, I was wondering how long it would take for a team to figure it out. Well folks our demise game plan is out, we either completely change our offensive and defensive sets or we’re going down with the ship.
IceColdCubano
General Manager

Post#1935 » by IceColdCubano » Sun Mar 27, 2022 4:10 pm

EMC5466 wrote:I didn’t want to post this back then for fear of getting ripped but I thought the team looked it’s best when it was Kyle Lowry and a bunch of young guys around him earlier this season. Jimmy and Bam don’t fit together.

Your not wrong the traditional lineup was working better. It allows our team to have more energy for scoring and not expend themselves playing such an aggressive switching defense. Also jimmy and bam do not work together at all on offense.
AirP.
RealGM

Post#1936 » by AirP. » Sun Mar 27, 2022 4:13 pm

For some reason Bam feels that Herro's defender needed to be picked while Kyle saw Curry playing so far off Herro he was going to loop a pass over to him for an open 3. When Bam went to pick Curry he brought his man(Drummond) with him who was now easily in position to steal the pass.

Spoiler:

There's a lot of plays were the shot was just missed, I'm looking for really bad reads or off ball decisions that are wrecking possessions.

These are plays that shouldn't be happening, I get a lot of time's been missed this year but some of these are just logical reads or just that magical word... chemistry.
oreon
Analyst
And1: 6,202

Post#1937 » by oreon » Sun Mar 27, 2022 4:19 pm

twix2500 wrote:
Bishop45 wrote:We still have a shot

The rotation is obvious. The problem is the play calling for the closing unit and them learning how to play with each other..

That and some of the key players are not playing well compared to early the season. PJ looks he hit a wall and there isn't a really a better option at the 4. Butler isn't the same post injury. Then two of your 4 highest players in Duncan and Lowry who are supposed to providing spacing are not reliable shooters.
BenoUdrihFTL
RealGM
And1: 23,487

Post#1938 » by BenoUdrihFTL » Sun Mar 27, 2022 4:29 pm

AirP. wrote:So I'm starting to go through these last 4 game using the Play by Play video on nba.com(I don't know, I may just get to disgusted and there's sooooooo many plays to look at). Just off a few plays, the spacing is horrific and it looks a lot like the off the ball players aren't doing the smart plays anymore. I'm kind of disgusted with what I'm seeing so I'm not sure how much digging and posting I'll do.

For instance, the Herro TO, Herro steals back the ball, KD strips Butler...
4 on 3
Context: Herro had his pass stolen but hustled back and stole the Brooklyn fast break pass, a fast break the other way. Herro passes off to Butler and goes to the opposite corner where PJ and his man is.

I believe this play should have ended in a Bam dunk or possibly a short uncontested shot for Butler. The issue, the communications, chemistry between Herro and Tucker OR Tucker just did the wrong move. Herro DID the right play by going to his right, getting out of Tucker's corner for spacing(not sure if he was suppose to stay there in the corner with Tucker there), Tucker did not see Herro move, Butler fakes a jumper, gets Brown in the air and now it's up to KD to stop Butler by leaving Bam by himself under the basket, Butler sees KD come to help Brown(Butler's defender) which should have left Bam wide open but Tucker's man follows Tucker and is easily able to take away the pass that Butler was going to make to Bam, Butler has to bring down the pass and try to reset(looks like he's pumping again but really isn't, the passing lane was taken away) and KD takes that opportunity to strip the pass. This just happened to be a play that stuck out to me so I went to it first.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Here's a Link to the video of that play.

There are just so many bad decisions off the ball that are screwing plays up.

Also, Butler looks to be trying to help the spacing taking some catch and shoot corner 3s, unless that dramatically gets better those shots need to be shelfed this season.

This was my concern coming into the season and it's apparently rearing its ugly head right as we head into the yoffs. We're the only team in the NBA whose two best players are non-factors from outside midrange, which forces us into a position where our offball action and perimeter spacing has to be near flawless. There's not much margin for error here and when we aren't executing offball then the halfcourt offense can crater and crater fast. I was hoping the addition of Lowry would mitigate some of this by enhancing our transition potency but you can't run full-court when you're getting pounded on the glass and losing the turnover battle (we've been outrebounded by 30 and are +11 in turnovers during this 4 game losing streak)
AirP.
RealGM

Post#1939 » by AirP. » Sun Mar 27, 2022 4:36 pm

Looking at the offense in the 4th vs Knicks when the starters were in Bam enters at 8 minutes, Butler 20 seconds later. I added the links for the plays. Cutting this post short, back-to-back plays Martin doesn't seem to understand when his man is guarding someone else maybe vacate that area and find a spot to get open or pull his man away. NOTICE TAJ GIBSON ABLE TO GUARD SOMEONE ELSE OTHER THEN HIS MAN(MARTIN) LATE IN THE CLOCK.

Lowry Turnover
I wonder if Martin was suppose to clear out instead of staying 8 feet away from Lowry letting Gibson take away Lowry's only real option to drive. Lowry screwed up by stopping his drive instead of continuing towards the lane(but not towards the basket) which would allowed him a possible pass to a catch and shoot situation(Strus or Butler) or a somewhat awkward jumper having to turn 90 degrees before shooting. I think Martin screwed that play up by not clearing out.

Looks like the next play it's a Martin issue again.
Bam missed jumper

Bam has the ball, Strus and Butler are in the corners for spacing, Martin decides to just hang out at the 3pt line while his man DOUBLES Bam, Lowry seeing this circles behind Martin because if Martin dives to the basket he either gets an an alley oop, Lowry's defender follows him and Lowry gets a wide open shot or Butler's man has to help and Butler is wide open, instead Martin stands there allowing NY to double team Bam. Holy )(#$) I'm leaving that image right here... WHY ISN'T MARTING TAKING ADVANTAGE HIS MAN DOUBLE TEAMING BAM?

AirP.
RealGM

Post#1940 » by AirP. » Sun Mar 27, 2022 4:42 pm

Holy #)(*$ 2 offensive plays later, Marin screws it up again... this is now 3 out the last 4 possessions.
Let me just explain this from Martin's screwup.

He did not stay out at the 3pt line to give Butler an outlet pass if the shot wasn't there. MARTIN'S MAN GUARDS BAM and for some reason Martin does not stay out at the 3pt line for an easy catch and shoot.

Once again, Taj Gibson WAS guarding Martin, Bam's man went to help on Butler, Martin's man went to help on Bam, Martin just stood around and he was the safety valve.

Butler goes up, the shot isn't there so he goes to pass it to the open man on the other side of the court and NOBODY IS THERE and he has no one to throw it to. We do see Martin peaking over McBride's shoulder to see what's going on. See that ref on out there, 5 feet behind Martin, that's where Martin is suppose to be.

New York hits a 3, Spoelsta calls a time out and subs in Tucker for Martin.

Return to Miami Heat