ImageImageImage

Miami Heat Regular Season Thread 21-22 Vol. 3

Moderators: KingDavid, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, MettaWorldPanda, heat4life

oreon
Analyst
And1: 6,208

Re: Miami Heat Regular Season Thread 21-22 Vol. 3 

Post#1961 » by oreon » Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:30 pm

AirP. wrote:For everyone who wants to blow it up and build around Bam and Herro... where are you going to get that playoff superstar to carry your team? If you're saying Bam or Herro I'd say 1. You're wrong and 2. You already have them. Bam is in season 5 and his offensive game hasn't moved much other then being more consistent from the midrange which comes though normal practice of shooting and just wait to see how effective Herro is when he's the guy other teams are trying to shut down.

To get the superstar you need to help carry you to a finals you need to either get a top pick in the draft or get very lucky in the draft with a midrange 1st round pick, get a superstar to sign or force their way to Miami or.... TRADE FOR HIM. What do you trade... well if the formula for a title is 2-3 superstars then everything should be on the table. Remember when CP3 was available, should have traded for him, when Harden was available, EVERYTHING should have been available, need picks to trade, BROOKLYN TRADED J.ALLEN FOR A LATE 1ST ROUND PICK TO MAKE IT HAPPEN when they had nobody to replace him.

If Miami gets bounced without quality play EVERYTHING HAS TO BE ON THE TABLE to get a superstar. The FO has to have a list of players to throw everything at who they feel are superstars that can carry a team in the playoffs and do whatever it takes to get them. Butler is not a #1 that can carry a team to a title, he's probably an acceptable #2 if you have a scoring star as your #1 but his @$$ should be moved in a package to get a superstar(and I only came to this board because of Butler, nice board overall though).

So is it build a team or acquire stars and put role-players around them. Miami is pretty good about finding role-players.

If we fail Butler is the 1st to go not Herro or Bam. I'd move him for some movable contracts and a pick or two. And as you said if a superstar becomes available then anyone is on the block. In the meantime you continue to develop Herro and Bam.
But we can't look to build around Butler's timeline. He isn't good for the franchise to plan everything around him. And considering the amount of money he's owed you have to factor whether his contract will hinder flexibility going foward. If you look at his game and his age, that contract in a season or 2 could be untradeable
EMC5466
Rookie
And1: 2,396

Post#1962 » by EMC5466 » Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:33 pm

oreon wrote:
BenoUdrihFTL wrote:Only big names I can think of that would be available this offseason are Lillard and perhaps AD and I'm not sure either of them are superstars going forward. Beal is meh and would be a lateral move unless we could get him for like Duncan and picks

I'd risk it with AD but not Lillard. Beal is no for me too. If there are no moves it might be best to take a step back for a season. Depending on how Butler does in the playoffs, I'd look to his dump his contract. As he ages his contract will be an albatross. This offseason might be the best time to trade him. Now I hope he balls in the playoffs to prove me wrong.
Then you can start Herro, and give him, Bam and Yurt bigger roles while you wait for your next move.
I know its not Riley MO to take a step back but it would be better than trading for a guy like Beal, maxing him and he gets worse with age. Then you are stuck with 2 declining stars on max money.

You HAVE to dump Jimmy’s contract this summer. That’s priority number one. Riley will go after AD before Beal, imo.
harlem_ball
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,545

Post#1963 » by harlem_ball » Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:37 pm

oreon wrote:
AirP. wrote:For everyone who wants to blow it up and build around Bam and Herro... where are you going to get that playoff superstar to carry your team? If you're saying Bam or Herro I'd say 1. You're wrong and 2. You already have them. Bam is in season 5 and his offensive game hasn't moved much other then being more consistent from the midrange which comes though normal practice of shooting and just wait to see how effective Herro is when he's the guy other teams are trying to shut down.

To get the superstar you need to help carry you to a finals you need to either get a top pick in the draft or get very lucky in the draft with a midrange 1st round pick, get a superstar to sign or force their way to Miami or.... TRADE FOR HIM. What do you trade... well if the formula for a title is 2-3 superstars then everything should be on the table. Remember when CP3 was available, should have traded for him, when Harden was available, EVERYTHING should have been available, need picks to trade, BROOKLYN TRADED J.ALLEN FOR A LATE 1ST ROUND PICK TO MAKE IT HAPPEN when they had nobody to replace him.

If Miami gets bounced without quality play EVERYTHING HAS TO BE ON THE TABLE to get a superstar. The FO has to have a list of players to throw everything at who they feel are superstars that can carry a team in the playoffs and do whatever it takes to get them. Butler is not a #1 that can carry a team to a title, he's probably an acceptable #2 if you have a scoring star as your #1 but his @$$ should be moved in a package to get a superstar(and I only came to this board because of Butler, nice board overall though).

So is it build a team or acquire stars and put role-players around them. Miami is pretty good about finding role-players.

If we fail Butler is the 1st to go not Herro or Bam. I'd move him for some movable contracts and a pick or two. And as you said if a superstar becomes available then anyone is on the block. In the meantime you continue to develop Herro and Bam.
But we can't look to build around Butler's timeline. He isn't good for the franchise to plan everything around him. And considering the amount of money he's owed you have to factor whether his contract will hinder flexibility going foward. If you look at his game and his age, that contract in a season or 2 could be untradeable

Yeah makes sense to build with Herro and Bam but there's going to be a lot of fat to move in the form of veteran contracts and you may have to move one of Herro or Bam to get those out of here and start fresh.

It's just such a shame that Spo doesn't learn and keeps killing his teams. I'd start fresh with a new coach too.

I know he is Riley's son but he's not absolved of these yearly meltdowns. He's been burning out his teams. He's great with young players and stacked prime players but not with roster nuance.

Obviously, I would have done things differently, lol
Flash4thewin
RealGM
And1: 8,031

Post#1964 » by Flash4thewin » Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:14 pm

EMC5466 wrote:
oreon wrote:
BenoUdrihFTL wrote:Only big names I can think of that would be available this offseason are Lillard and perhaps AD and I'm not sure either of them are superstars going forward. Beal is meh and would be a lateral move unless we could get him for like Duncan and picks

I'd risk it with AD but not Lillard. Beal is no for me too. If there are no moves it might be best to take a step back for a season. Depending on how Butler does in the playoffs, I'd look to his dump his contract. As he ages his contract will be an albatross. This offseason might be the best time to trade him. Now I hope he balls in the playoffs to prove me wrong.
Then you can start Herro, and give him, Bam and Yurt bigger roles while you wait for your next move.
I know its not Riley MO to take a step back but it would be better than trading for a guy like Beal, maxing him and he gets worse with age. Then you are stuck with 2 declining stars on max money.

You HAVE to dump Jimmy’s contract this summer. That’s priority number one. Riley will go after AD before Beal, imo.

Depending on how bad Butler plays, Westbrook and his expiring might be our best and most realistic option from a cap stand point, not a talent standpoint. Thats still not addressing Lowry and his 30 mil a year or Duncan and his 15 mil a year.

Another option would be to make a play for Beal, which would obviously cost us Herro for starters. Does a Beal/Butler/Bam (maybe Lowry depending on who would be traded) sound good? It make Butler the glue guy and more of a defender and Beal becomes our star player and go to scorer. Im not crazy about Lillard because of his size and age.
harlem_ball
Lead Assistant

Post#1965 » by harlem_ball » Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:53 pm

Flash4thewin wrote:
EMC5466 wrote:
oreon wrote:

Depending on how bad Butler plays, Westbrook and his expiring might be our best and most realistic option from a cap stand point, not a talent standpoint. Thats still not addressing Lowry and his 30 mil a year or Duncan and his 15 mil a year.

Another option would be to make a play for Beal, which would obviously cost us Herro for starters. Does a Beal/Butler/Bam (maybe Lowry depending on who would be traded) sound good? It make Butler the glue guy and more of a defender and Beal becomes our star player and go to scorer. Im not crazy about Lillard because of his size and age.

It would be more of the same. Smallball frustration. Treadmilling from sameness to sameness.

Spo or the front office would screw up the lineups and sabotage the team again due to some misguided variable.

At the least, Herro is an exciting prospect, homegrown. Young fans seem to like his energy. A shame the team would falter and implode as he could put them over the top with his offensive repertoire and shooting skill.

If the team fails, Herro and Bam should just take over.
somerandomdude
Analyst
And1: 8,472

Post#1966 » by somerandomdude » Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:36 pm

Re: roster changes

I've said plenty of times that I'm willing to give Spo a chance to prove his style can win this year but, if it can't, I'm not accepting anything but a change in philosophy or a new head coach.

And if we don't get that change, there's no point in watching the Heat, IMO, so I'd quit watching altogether.

The people who will stay watching will have it deep in the back of their mind that this team is playing a flawed style that will cause our players to burn out and come up short at the end of the season.

Our best hope would be the modern day equivalent of LBJ/Bosh/Wade and an amazing supporting cast, and I just don't see us pulling that off. And even that's not a guarantee we'd win a championship, which is sad.

There's only so many miracles Riley can pull off and he's not getting younger. Riley gave Spo a great team this year and Spo's gotta prove that he's the legendary coach that people claim he is.
harlem_ball
Lead Assistant

Post#1967 » by harlem_ball » Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:40 pm

somerandomdude wrote:Re: roster changes

I've said plenty of times that I'm willing to give Spo a chance to prove his style can win this year but, if it can't, I'm not accepting anything but a change in philosophy or a new head coach.

And if we don't get that change, there's no point in watching the Heat, IMO, so I'd quit watching altogether.

The people who will stay watching will have it deep in the back of their mind that this team is playing a flawed style that will cause our players to burn out and come up short at the end of the season.

Our best hope would be the modern day equivalent of LBJ/Bosh/Wade and an amazing supporting cast, and I just don't see us pulling that off. And even that's not a guaranteed we'd win a championship, which is sad.

There's only so many miracles Riley can pull off and he's not getting younger. Riley gave Spo a great team this year and Spo's gotta prove that he's the legendary coach that people claim he is.

I see it the same way but the issue is Spo has become an asset for the Heat just as Bam or Herro. And you can't trade the coach.

On the other hand , coaching means nothing to attracting players. Coach Pop being testament to that as he is wallowing in purgatory right now.
somerandomdude
Analyst

Post#1968 » by somerandomdude » Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:50 pm

harlem_ball wrote:

Our best hope would be the modern day equivalent of LBJ/Bosh/Wade and an amazing supporting cast, and I just don't see us pulling that off. And even that's not a guaranteed we'd win a championship, which is sad.

I see it the same way but the issue is Spo has become an asset for the Heat just as Bam or Herro. And you can't trade the coach.

On the other hand , coaching means nothing to attracting players. Coach Pop being testament to that as he is wallowing in purgatory right now.

Believe it or not, you can trade coaches. The problem is, the Heat drinks the Kool Aid harder than anyone when it comes to Spo, so they would never trade him, and Riley will always provide him enough talent to keep the illusion going. In the extreme case where Spo isn't willing to adapt, it would be a great way to get out of our contracts and maybe even pick up some trade assets.

harlem_ball
Lead Assistant

Post#1969 » by harlem_ball » Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:51 pm

somerandomdude wrote:
harlem_ball wrote:

Believe it or not, you can trade coaches. The problem is, the Heat drinks the Kool Aid harder than anyone when it comes to Spo, so they would never trade him. In the extreme case where Spo isn't willing to adapt, it would be a great way to get out of our contracts and maybe even pick up some trade assets.

Trade Spo!!!
Johnny Fontane
Head Coach
And1: 11,785

Post#1970 » by Johnny Fontane » Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:57 pm

Would love to trade Jimmy’s contract but it doesn’t help we just extended him. Hate to say it, but Jimmy is only a step below the worst contracts in the league if not on the same level. Have to hope there’s a young team out there looking for leadership who’s willing to part w/ a shorter (hopefully expiring) deal that matches salary.
harlem_ball
Lead Assistant

Post#1971 » by harlem_ball » Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:03 pm

Pharenheit wrote:Would love to trade Jimmy’s contract but it doesn’t help we just extended him. Hate to say it, but Jimmy is only a step below the worst contracts in the league if not on the same level. Have to hope there’s a young team out there looking for leadership who’s willing to part w/ a shorter (hopefully expiring) deal that matches salary.

Might have to bring in Westbrook for a year. Would AD come attached?

Westbrook can lord over the bench.
Johnny Fontane
Head Coach
And1: 11,785

Post#1972 » by Johnny Fontane » Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:12 pm

harlem_ball wrote:
Pharenheit wrote:Would love to trade Jimmy’s contract but it doesn’t help we just extended him. Hate to say it, but Jimmy is only a step below the worst contracts in the league if not on the same level. Have to hope there’s a young team out there looking for leadership who’s willing to part w/ a shorter (hopefully expiring) deal that matches salary.

If it means avoiding being a below average team for the next several years, Westbrick might have to be an option
somerandomdude
Analyst

Post#1973 » by somerandomdude » Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:23 pm

somerandomdude wrote:
Spoiler:
harlem_ball wrote:

Believe it or not, you can trade coaches. The problem is, the Heat drinks the Kool Aid harder than anyone when it comes to Spo, so they would never trade him, and Riley will always provide him enough talent to keep the illusion going. In the extreme case where Spo isn't willing to adapt, it would be a great way to get out of our contracts and maybe even pick up some trade assets.

Just want to clear up that we won't be able to trade away any of our salaries and the coach would have to agree to the trade.

To anyone planning to reply: please don't reply saying it's absurd to trade Spo, I'm merely pointing out that coaches can be traded and, FWIW, I would prefer to keep Spo if he's willing to adapt.
harlem_ball
Lead Assistant

Post#1974 » by harlem_ball » Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:29 pm

somerandomdude wrote:
somerandomdude wrote:
Spoiler:
harlem_ball wrote:

Just want to clear up that we won't be able to trade away any of our salaries and the coach would have to agree to the trade.

To anyone planning to reply: please don't reply saying it's absurd to trade Spo, I'm merely pointing out that coaches can be traded and, FWIW, I would prefer to keep Spo if he's willing to adapt.

He ain't adapting to jack squat. When it came time to win or feed his philosophy, he chose philosophy.
somerandomdude
Analyst

Post#1975 » by somerandomdude » Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:41 pm

harlem_ball wrote:
somerandomdude wrote:
somerandomdude wrote:
Spoiler:

He ain't adapting to jack squat. When it came time to win or feed his philosophy, he chose philosophy.

I agree and I think benching Yurtz after he helped turn our season around is proof of it.
Heat_Down_Under
Analyst
And1: 4,031

Post#1976 » by Heat_Down_Under » Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:44 pm

somerandomdude wrote:
harlem_ball wrote:

The big 3 carried spo and gave him a name.. if it weren’t for our miracle bubble run spo would have been gone. That bubble play offs saved his butt otherwise he would be gone already in my opinion.
harlem_ball
Lead Assistant

Post#1977 » by harlem_ball » Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:55 pm

Heat_Down_Under wrote:
somerandomdude wrote:
harlem_ball wrote:

The big 3 carried spo and gave him a name.. if it weren’t for our miracle bubble run spo would have been gone. That bubble play offs saved his butt otherwise he would be gone already in my opinion.

I came into the season a big believer in the Spo dog. Things started off sweet but having a vet team ,you knew there would be injury and rough patches. Guys stepped up and we had a frontcourt revolution that was winning. Spo blew it all up. A terrible coaching job
Heat_Down_Under
Analyst
And1: 4,031

Post#1978 » by Heat_Down_Under » Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:56 pm

Pharenheit wrote:
harlem_ball wrote:

If it means avoiding being a below average team for the next several years, Westbrick might have to be an option

I said this as a joke in the game thread (because atleast he rebounds lol) got flamed… becareful guys lol
jele
Senior
And1: 977

Post#1979 » by jele » Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:01 am

oreon wrote:

How long are we going to develop Bam? This is his 5th year! He is what he is period. At this point, we should regret so much that we traded Precious and not Bam because Precious looks like he has more talent than Bam.
harlem_ball
Lead Assistant

Post#1980 » by harlem_ball » Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:04 am

jele wrote:
oreon wrote:

How long are we going to develop Bam? This is his 5th year! He is what he is period. At this point, we should regret so much that we traded Precious and not Bam because Precious looks like he has more talent than Bam.

Oh geez another midget. It's fine. Precious wasn't what this team needed. We're 1st seed for a reason.

Return to Miami Heat