ImageImageImage

Saltics @ Heat - 8:30pm - Tuesday - Game 1

Moderators: KingDavid, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside

gom
Heat forum: Expert Predictor
And1: 42,453

Re: Saltics @ Heat - 8:30pm - Tuesday - Game 1 

Post#1221 » by gom » Wed May 18, 2022 3:13 pm

3ballbomber wrote:
gom wrote:
I am kind of interested how Spoelstra might use him, assuming he quits Boston and comes to Miami, like many of the really great players do.

I remember 11-30 with these guys. ^
oreon
Analyst
And1: 6,176

Post#1222 » by oreon » Wed May 18, 2022 3:46 pm

3ammy3uck3ts wrote:
greg4012 wrote:
Kobewade11 wrote:We arent going to win on the road with Bam attempting 3 shots, playing like a little beyotch and with you posting like one.

Good thing we weren't on the road then. And did win with Bam doing exactly what he was doing. Let's see how the road games look before prescribing one formula for every situation. Every single playoff game is different and calls for its own solutions.

Great post.

He can score 0 for all I care as long as we win because you know he’s going to have a huge impact on the game/win elsewhere. He can go for 20+ on any given night, he’ll he goes for 30+ pretty consistently any time the team is hobbled with Jimmy, Lowry, etc. out. Yes he can do those things, we’ve seen it, but that is clearly not the scheme when the team is at full strength. Spo is using him as a bigger, faster, stronger, more athletic Draymond and we’re the 1st seed, 9-3 in the playoffs, and have been the most dominant playoff team by a wide margin. Whatever adjustment Spo made is working for the team as a whole and the players understand his importance as we saw with Jimmys post game comments.

That's fair. But we can also admit Bam and Herro have played far below expectations. Bam more specifically because he got paid max because Heat thought he could a top 10 or top 15 player on both ends. Two seasons ago in the previous Celtics series Bam was the best player in that series on both ends. Thats the guy the Heat paid for and assumed he would get better. And Bam being a better scorer won't take away from Butler or from Spo schemes. It would help, because Butler could pace himself more if he had another guy he can count on to get buckets.
The team is winning but I am not going to pretend like Bam has been great. I thought he'd give more. And long term as Butler ages, the Heat would need to find another plan B as who is going to lead the franchise. From what we've seen this series and last season, its unlikely a core of Bam & Herro can carry a team as Butler gets older
KingDavid
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 39,806

Post#1223 » by KingDavid » Wed May 18, 2022 3:53 pm

Kobewade11 wrote:
greg4012 wrote:Why lie?

Work on communication if you think that's all most of the posts bemoaning Bam are saying.

I need Bam to give us more when we need more. In an age where defense in the NBA is predicated on rotations, switching, help, and spacing, Bam gives all four guys on the floor with him an expanded margin in which to operate. That is invaluable.

We need more Bam moments on offense to win against the Celtics. As you said, "we've seen it" so I remain optimistic that we will see it again this series.

If you think the posts “bemoaning” Bam are saying something different then you quote those posters and respond to them. My opinion on where I think Bam’s ceiling is, is probably higher than most here. Its frustrating watching a guy you think could be a top 10 player pretend to be Joel Anthony on offense. I agree with you on the last part.

I think Bam just can't score against Timelord. He is a really good defender. So forcing up shots against him probably isn't the best way to get our offense rolling even though we had an 11-0 run against us to end the 3rd with Jimmy on the bench. It's only going to get worse for Bam when Horford returns. Gonna need to rely on Herro and Dipo when Jimmy sits instead.

I don't know if it's the gameplan or Bam can no longer do it, but I expect him to be aggressive especially when Jimmy sits because that's what I expect from a max player in his prime. But that hasn't been happening.
#HEATLifer

Long Live Kobe Bryant. My idol's idol.
greg4012
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,758

Post#1224 » by greg4012 » Wed May 18, 2022 4:12 pm

KingDavid wrote:
Kobewade11 wrote:

Work on communication if you think that's all most of the posts bemoaning Bam are saying.

I need Bam to give us more when we need more. In an age where defense in the NBA is predicated on rotations, switching, help, and spacing, Bam gives all four guys on the floor with him an expanded margin in which to operate. That is invaluable.

We need more Bam moments on offense to win against the Celtics. As you said, "we've seen it" so I remain optimistic that we will see it again this series.

If you think the posts “bemoaning” Bam are saying something different then you quote those posters and respond to them. My opinion on where I think Bam’s ceiling is, is probably higher than most here. Its frustrating watching a guy you think could be a top 10 player pretend to be Joel Anthony on offense. I agree with you on the last part.

I think Bam just can't score against Timelord. He is a really good defender. So forcing up shots against him probably isn't the best way to get our offense rolling even though we had an 11-0 run against us to end the 3rd with Jimmy on the bench. It's only going to get worse for Bam when Horford returns. Gonna need to rely on Herro and Dipo when Jimmy sits instead.

I don't know if it's the gameplan or Bam can no longer do it, but I expect him to be aggressive especially when Jimmy sits because that's what I expect from a max player in his prime. But that hasn't been happening.

It's way more than just Robert Williams. The Celtics defense is elite at protecting the paint. Robert Williams is great in the role as an off-ball rim protector that can still extend to cover the kick out corner 3s..
3ammy3uck3ts
RealGM
And1: 34,826

Post#1225 » by 3ammy3uck3ts » Wed May 18, 2022 4:33 pm

oreon wrote:
3ammy3uck3ts wrote:
greg4012 wrote:
Good thing we weren't on the road then. And did win with Bam doing exactly what he was doing. Let's see how the road games look before prescribing one formula for every situation. Every single playoff game is different and calls for its own solutions.

Great post.

He can score 0 for all I care as long as we win because you know he’s going to have a huge impact on the game/win elsewhere. He can go for 20+ on any given night, he’ll he goes for 30+ pretty consistently any time the team is hobbled with Jimmy, Lowry, etc. out. Yes he can do those things, we’ve seen it, but that is clearly not the scheme when the team is at full strength. Spo is using him as a bigger, faster, stronger, more athletic Draymond and we’re the 1st seed, 9-3 in the playoffs, and have been the most dominant playoff team by a wide margin. Whatever adjustment Spo made is working for the team as a whole and the players understand his importance as we saw with Jimmys post game comments.

That's fair. But we can also admit Bam and Herro have played far below expectations. Bam more specifically because he got paid max because Heat thought he could a top 10 or top 15 player on both ends. Two seasons ago in the previous Celtics series Bam was the best player in that series on both ends. Thats the guy the Heat paid for and assumed he would get better. And Bam being a better scorer won't take away from Butler or from Spo schemes. It would help, because Butler could pace himself more if he had another guy he can count on to get buckets.
The team is winning but I am not going to pretend like Bam has been great. I thought he'd give more. And long term as Butler ages, the Heat would need to find another plan B as who is going to lead the franchise. From what we've seen this series and last season, its unlikely a core of Bam & Herro can carry a team as Butler gets older

Fair enough and we can agree Bam has underwhelmed scoring wise yes. Defensively hes the best in the world and is fresh off a series where he clamped Embiid our final 2 games to end their season. I don’t believe anyone paid Bam to be a top 10-15 offensive player in the world, he’ll no one on our team is a top 10-15 offensive player in the world. It’s when you factor in both sides of the ball with elite defense and very good offensive production (possibly top 15 from Jimmy) that you truly see the greatness of our guys like Jimmy Bam and Lowry. Jimmys a top 10 player in the world if we’re factoring in both sides of the ball, which we always should.

But again, I would love to see Bam score more. Even 20 a game in the playoffs would be great. But that’s just not our offensive scheme right now, we’re 9-3 and the most dominant playoff team so far by a wide margin so I can’t complain. He may not be scoring but he’s setting guys up and setting elite screens. He will have bigger scoring games here and there depending on how we’re being defended. That’s just the way it is right now
#FreeBam
Vertical Limit
RealGM
And1: 5,386

Post#1226 » by Vertical Limit » Wed May 18, 2022 4:56 pm

Lol the people who are complaining… i understand.. bam needs to have a big game, maybe 2 big games this series if we are going to advance.

Just remember one thing though, we only played one good quarter yesterday and won. This team’s defense is capable of doing what they did in the 3rd quarter, for 2-3 quarters or even a full game.

Got to keep going to every game with defense first mentality.. that will feed the offense
al bondiga
Starter
And1: 2,762

Post#1227 » by al bondiga » Wed May 18, 2022 5:09 pm

KingDavid wrote:
Kobewade11 wrote:

I think it's going to get better for bam with al returning... bam just needs confidence and to know who he is.. spo it's not the guy to provide that definition... he is not a nurturer...spo is very good an exploding talents to the best of their abilities, already existing talents...al is too tired after Giannis ...bam takes advantage
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,713

Post#1228 » by AirP. » Wed May 18, 2022 5:15 pm

Shewasfly wrote:
AirP. wrote:Wait, was Bam completely by himself under the basket that first possession and wasn't even looked at?

They probably just assumed he would back it out and look for Strus anyway. But yeah I saw that. Look very sloppy so far

Vertical Limit wrote:Lol the people who are complaining… i understand.. bam needs to have a big game, maybe 2 big games this series if we are going to advance.

I don't think he needs big scoring games, I do think he needs to at least look like he's an offensive threat from time to time on the court so Boston can't focus there defense as much on the other 4 offensive players. Sometimes he doesn't even try to look at the basket to see if there's an open lane for him to attack.

Here's the first offensive possession for Miami last night, I commented and only seems Shewasfly saw the same thing, now that I can go back and clip it... here it is, Vincent has the ball, BAM IS ALL BY HIMSELF UNDER THE BASKET and nothing.... Vincent didn't pass, Bam didn't make it known by putting up his hand to draw Vincent's attention. BAM WAS THE ONLY PLAYER IN THE LANE!'

THIS IS ONE OF THE BIG REASONS MIAMI HAS ISSUES IN THE HALF COURT, BAM JUST REFUSES TO TO LOOK TO SCORE SO OFTEN, HE'S OBLIVIOUS HE'S WIDE OPEN. THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN AN EASY DUNK ON THE FIRST POSSESSION. Bam just looking to see if he can score or fill a lane would help this offense so much.

This is why Lowry is needed, he would have made that pass even if Bam wasn't ready for it, it would have gotten Bam more ready to play offense the rest of the game.
Ugh..
I just don't get it sometimes... Boston gifted Miami a free dunk which probably helps get the crowd into the game and Miami refused to take it.

I do wonder how many people would be way more upset at things like this had Miami lost. When you're given great scoring opportunities in the playoffs against a great defensive team you need to take them. Bam actually makes Miami go 4 on 5 sometimes, maybe this is a reason Spoelstra made Bam initiate the offense in previous years, to make him accountable to the defense.

Overall... Bam could be an even better player and make the Heat a better team if he just looked to see if he could score.
greg4012
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,758

Post#1229 » by greg4012 » Wed May 18, 2022 5:36 pm

AirP. wrote:
Shewasfly wrote:
AirP. wrote:Wait, was Bam completely by himself under the basket that first possession and wasn't even looked at?

They probably just assumed he would back it out and look for Strus anyway. But yeah I saw that. Look very sloppy so far

Vertical Limit wrote:Lol the people who are complaining… i understand.. bam needs to have a big game, maybe 2 big games this series if we are going to advance.

I don't think he needs big scoring games, I do think he needs to at least look like he's an offensive threat from time to time on the court so Boston can't focus there defense as much on the other 4 offensive players. Sometimes he doesn't even try to look at the basket to see if there's an open lane for him to attack.

Here's the first offensive possession for Miami last night, I commented and only seems Shewasfly saw the same thing, now that I can go back and clip it... here it is, Vincent has the ball, BAM IS ALL BY HIMSELF UNDER THE BASKET and nothing.... Vincent didn't pass, Bam didn't make it known by putting up his hand to draw Vincent's attention. BAM WAS THE ONLY PLAYER IN THE LANE!'

THIS IS ONE OF THE BIG REASONS MIAMI HAS ISSUES IN THE HALF COURT, BAM JUST REFUSES TO TO LOOK TO SCORE SO OFTEN, HE'S OBLIVIOUS HE'S WIDE OPEN. THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN AN EASY DUNK ON THE FIRST POSSESSION. Bam just looking to see if he can score or fill a lane would help this offense so much.

This is why Lowry is needed, he would have made that pass even if Bam wasn't ready for it, it would have gotten Bam more ready to play offense the rest of the game.
Ugh..
I just don't get it sometimes... Boston gifted Miami a free dunk which probably helps get the crowd into the game and Miami refused to take it.

I do wonder how many people would be way more upset at things like this had Miami lost. When you're given great scoring opportunities in the playoffs against a great defensive team you need to take them. Bam actually makes Miami go 4 on 5 sometimes, maybe this is a reason Spoelstra made Bam initiate the offense in previous years, to make him accountable to the defense.

Overall... Bam could be an even better player and make the Heat a better team if he just looked to see if he could score.

This is the proper posture with regards to Bam on offense IMO
3ammy3uck3ts
RealGM

Post#1230 » by 3ammy3uck3ts » Wed May 18, 2022 6:14 pm

I don’t see how Vincent not passing Bam the ball when he’s wide open for a dunk is Bams fault lol. That’s just bad Pg play. You can see in the screenshots they made eye contact. If anything this is one of the bigger issues in the scoring production we get from our bigs. That 100% should’ve went to Bam but for whatever reason we can’t get it to him.

And it’s not just Gabe, it’s everyone. Lowry leads the team in APG at 1, for comparison, CP3 assists to Ayton 5 times a game. I don’t see why we can’t have that connection more with as fast and explosive Bam is and how good of a PG Lowry has always been.

For the Bam can’t score if he’s not assisted crowd, the percentage of baskets Bam is assisted on is about the same as Jokic/Embiid
#FreeBam
3ammy3uck3ts
RealGM

Post#1231 » by 3ammy3uck3ts » Wed May 18, 2022 6:23 pm

Tatum and Brown when guarded by the following last night:

Jimmy: 2-11
Bam: 1-6
Tucker: 1-5
#FreeBam
3ammy3uck3ts
RealGM

Post#1232 » by 3ammy3uck3ts » Wed May 18, 2022 6:31 pm

Read on Twitter
#FreeBam
AirP.
RealGM

Post#1233 » by AirP. » Wed May 18, 2022 6:47 pm

3ammy3uck3ts wrote:I don’t see how Vincent not passing Bam the ball when he’s wide open for a dunk is Bams fault lol. That’s just bad Pg play. You can see in the screenshots they made eye contact. If anything this is one of the bigger issues in the scoring production we get from our bigs. That 100% should’ve went to Bam but for whatever reason we can’t get it to him.

Oh it's simple, RAISE YOUR HAND TO BE SEEN. Sure it's on Vincent too but if Bam isn't really looking for it it's going to be a TO, Vincent can't chance a TO, a vet PG like Lowry can and he can even go talk to Bam about it where Vincent probably isn't vet enough to know or can do that with a max player.

And it’s not just Gabe, it’s everyone. Lowry leads the team in APG at 1, for comparison, CP3 assists to Ayton 5 times a game. I don’t see why we can’t have that connection more with as fast and explosive Bam is and how good of a PG Lowry has always been.

For the Bam can’t score if he’s not assisted crowd, the percentage of baskets Bam is assisted on is about the same as Jokic/Embiid

Why might Bam's teammates not look for him on offense. Really think about it because when I play basketball I usually know who I can and can't throw it to because they're not looking for the pass and this seems to be a characteristic of Bam's. It takes 2 to make an assist, just because the pass is there doesn't mean the person is looking for it or will catch it. Herro does the opposite, he tries to make some complicated passes and then sometimes make passes to escape good defense on him and they end up being TOs because the person he's passing to isn't expecting the pass.

Bam's a really good player, good ORTG-DRTG but he could really help the team by being more aware of what's going on AND TAKING ADVANTAGE OF WHAT THE DEFENSE IS GIVING HIM because when he doesn't, he's basically making his teammates play 4 on 5, maybe more of 4 on 4.5 because they keep an eye on Bam but don't have to worry too much about him.

If you saw that same 1st possession against Miami you'd think Miami dodge a bullet because that was an easy score but instead they ran more offense and missed the shot. It's not completely Bam's fault but I highly doubt he went over to Vincent and told him he missed him for an easy 2(which is what Bam at the very least should have done so it didn't happen again).
AirP.
RealGM

Post#1234 » by AirP. » Wed May 18, 2022 6:58 pm

Read on Twitter
MHeat0279
Analyst
And1: 4,371

Post#1235 » by MHeat0279 » Wed May 18, 2022 9:27 pm

Where the hell is tomorrow's game thread ?
Bunch of lazy bums :roll:
AirP.
RealGM

Post#1236 » by AirP. » Wed May 18, 2022 9:59 pm

AirP.
RealGM

Post#1237 » by AirP. » Wed May 18, 2022 10:01 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
goodboy
RealGM
And1: 185,289

Post#1238 » by goodboy » Wed May 18, 2022 10:08 pm

MHeat0279 wrote:Where the hell is tomorrow's game thread ?
Bunch of lazy bums :roll:

You want to take that back?

O'Prophecy needs meditation/preparation for successfulness.
Bright
Shewasfly
Head Coach
And1: 11,688

Post#1239 » by Shewasfly » Wed May 18, 2022 10:15 pm

Last thing on the Bam topic. I think what’s happening is that some of us are calling out what is wrong regardless of the outcome of the game, while some of us are banking on the fact that “well it’s working” and refusing to call a spade a spade because we are winning inspite of the deficiencies.

10 and 4 from my max player in the ECF is not going to cut it for me. I don’t care what kind of otherworldly defense we’re resulting to pretending he has all by himself that no one else on the team is also contributing to while still providing value on offense.

I personally don’t even like the Draymond comparisons anymore either because that is giving Bam way more credit than what he deserves for what he does on offense right now. Dray is damn near a floor general for the Warriors on not just defense but also offense. I hope we are not to the extent of delusion where we are pretending Bam is anywhere near a floor general for us on that end.

On another note: where the heck do these injuries come from? Now all of a sudden Gabe is questionable to with a hammy too? Hope it’s just posturing.
:tiredJB:
3ammy3uck3ts
RealGM

Post#1240 » by 3ammy3uck3ts » Wed May 18, 2022 10:19 pm

AirP. wrote:
3ammy3uck3ts wrote:I don’t see how Vincent not passing Bam the ball when he’s wide open for a dunk is Bams fault lol. That’s just bad Pg play. You can see in the screenshots they made eye contact. If anything this is one of the bigger issues in the scoring production we get from our bigs. That 100% should’ve went to Bam but for whatever reason we can’t get it to him.

Oh it's simple, RAISE YOUR HAND TO BE SEEN. Sure it's on Vincent too but if Bam isn't really looking for it it's going to be a TO, Vincent can't chance a TO, a vet PG like Lowry can and he can even go talk to Bam about it where Vincent probably isn't vet enough to know or can do that with a max player.

Why might Bam's teammates not look for him on offense. Really think about it because when I play basketball I usually know who I can and can't throw it to because they're not looking for the pass and this seems to be a characteristic of Bam's. It takes 2 to make an assist, just because the pass is there doesn't mean the person is looking for it or will catch it. Herro does the opposite, he tries to make some complicated passes and then sometimes make passes to escape good defense on him and they end up being TOs because the person he's passing to isn't expecting the pass.

Bam's a really good player, good ORTG-DRTG but he could really help the team by being more aware of what's going on AND TAKING ADVANTAGE OF WHAT THE DEFENSE IS GIVING HIM because when he doesn't, he's basically making his teammates play 4 on 5, maybe more of 4 on 4.5 because they keep an eye on Bam but don't have to worry too much about him.

If you saw that same 1st possession against Miami you'd think Miami dodge a bullet because that was an easy score but instead they ran more offense and missed the shot. It's not completely Bam's fault but I highly doubt he went over to Vincent and told him he missed him for an easy 2(which is what Bam at the very least should have done so it didn't happen again).

The pass is literally right there to make lol, Bams hands don’t matter they’re making eye contact and he’s wide open. Idk, I would throw it to my wide open big man who is the 3rd leading scorer on the team if I saw him wide open under the basket.
#FreeBam

Return to Miami Heat