ImageImageImage

WELLCOME OUR NEW WHITE CHOCOLATE - MR. NIKOLA "GROWN MEN" JOVIC

Moderators: KingDavid, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside

puppa bear
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,500

WELLCOME OUR NEW WHITE CHOCOLATE - MR. NIKOLA "GROWN MEN" JOVIC 

Post#41 » by puppa bear » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:45 am

Also, there will only ever be 1 White Chocolate!

Edit: I loved the home white v away colours from the rising stars challenge (elbow pass clip). Visually it was my favourite ASG, even though it sells less jerseys
stepback_ftw
Freshman
And1: 37

Re: WELLCOME OUR NEW WHITE CHOCOLATE - MR. NIKOLA 

Post#42 » by stepback_ftw » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:47 am

puppa bear wrote:
Wiltside wrote:I’d say he will get most minutes at the 3 initially. He’s going to get picked on defensively much like DRob, and refs won’t give him an inch either.

Offensively, his role will predominantly be catch and shoot spacer but I could see us running Duncan/Strus reps for him to shoot over smaller defenders if he proves he has that level of endurance and mobility. Remains to be seen if he’s a pure shooter on the move like those guys though.

Spo could use him in the Leonard/KO spot as the weak side spacer. That forces their 3/4 to be cautious hedging into the key & opens it up a little for Jimmy/Bam.

I trust Spo. Right now Tucker is a more consistent corner 3 shooter but Jovic is an upgrade on Tucker offensively if he develops as expected.
RexBoyWonder
RealGM
And1: 33,422

Re: WELLCOME OUR NEW WHITE CHOCOLATE - MR. NIKOLA "GROWN MEN" JOVIC 

Post#43 » by RexBoyWonder » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:46 am

I think people will be surprised by his offensive versatility and readiness.

He's not just a tall shooter, the kid is a natural scorer that can really pass. He's raw as any 19 YO would be, but he's going to put points up if he gets minutes.

I can see him being the ball handler a pick and roll with Bam and lighting it up by Allstar break.
Chalm Downs wrote:his nickname is boywonder ffs
heatwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 13,108

Post#44 » by heatwillbeback » Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:33 pm

Read on Twitter

He already knows the way to Spo’s heart.
insfo
General Manager
And1: 11,200

Post#45 » by insfo » Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:01 am

heatwillbeback wrote:
Read on Twitter

And Riley also said that his number could be hanging from the rafters one day! Anything less than ROY is a disappointment :lol:
Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 71,828

Post#46 » by Wiltside » Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:44 am

Riley smitten. This kid ain’t going anywhere anytime soon.
Formerly BG44, MB30 and Wade County at BasketballForum.com
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 79,703

Post#47 » by DayofMourning » Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:15 am

heatwillbeback wrote:
Read on Twitter

Probably said this to Spo on a zoom meeting. Spo heard that and then promptly canceled all remaining draft workouts. He had found his man.
greg4012
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,759

Post#48 » by greg4012 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:11 pm

I'm very intrigued to see what Jovic looks like by the time he's 22.

He's one of the youngest players in this draft and has supposedly grown over the past year. He legitimately may still get a little taller/longer, and he definitely will grow into his frame. This isnt a kid with a narrow frame that can't add weight (ain't no Poku).

I wouldn't be shocked if in a few years we're looking at Jovic as a 7' 240 combo forward. That's not even to get into his potential skills development, which already shows promise on multiple fronts.

Love the upside as a developmental prospect.
Hallstar
Head Coach
And1: 6,788

Post#49 » by Hallstar » Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:11 pm

greg4012 wrote:I'm very intrigued to see what Jovic looks like by the time he's 22.

He's one of the youngest players in this draft and has supposedly grown over the past year. He legitimately may still get a little taller/longer, and he definitely will grow into his frame. This isnt a kid with a narrow frame that can't add weight (ain't no Poku).

I wouldn't be shocked if in a few years we're looking at Jovic as a 7' 240 combo forward. That's not even to get into his potential skills development, which already shows promise on multiple fronts.

Yep, size wise I'm thinking Rashard Lewis. And hoping he can get to that level of a player
Variable-X
Sophomore
And1: 241

Post#50 » by Variable-X » Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:37 am

Found this out on a comment in a youtube video and thought you might find it worth knowing. For nicknames Heat fans should stay away from "Niko" as that means nobody in Serbia. I was unaware of that and it would be unfortunate to be trying to embrace Jovic and be insulting him in the process of doing so.
RexBoyWonder
RealGM

Post#51 » by RexBoyWonder » Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:09 am

Hallstar wrote:
greg4012 wrote:I'm very intrigued to see what Jovic looks like by the time he's 22.

Yep, size wise I'm thinking Rashard Lewis. And hoping he can get to that level of a player

Not really seeing the Lewis comp, Jovic is already on another level as a playermaker, Lewis was a purer shooter.

We'll see, drafting a 19YO means we'll have say in what parts of his game he's going to focus on.
Hallstar
Head Coach
And1: 6,788

Post#52 » by Hallstar » Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:29 am

RexBoyWonder wrote:
Hallstar wrote:

Not really seeing the Lewis comp, Jovic is already on another level as a playermaker, Lewis was a purer shooter.

We'll see, drafting a 19YO means we'll have say in what parts of his game he's going to focus on.

Lewis was more the size wise and I rode with it lol. If we think of playmaker, look next to Lewis in Orlando...a better Hedo?
Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 71,828

Post#53 » by Wiltside » Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:14 am

Right now, he seems to be a 6’10” guard more so than a SF/PF. Hard to think of any reasonable comps. Hedo probably a decent one given the playmaking ability and size, although I’d say Jovic appears a little more athletic. Prime Hedo was a pretty handy player tbh.
Formerly BG44, MB30 and Wade County at BasketballForum.com
Rock Hardy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,868

Post#54 » by Rock Hardy » Thu Jul 7, 2022 8:05 am

A colleague of mine is Serbian, and he and I have bonded over basketball, with Jokic's rise. The moment we drafted this kid, he messaged me to say Miami got a steal:

Hey Miami just snatched next MVP Nikola Jovic, that kid is amazing, good job with the draft, I hope he will get his minutes and dominate the league.

He's no a nobody, and he's going to be biased, but he does follow the European leagues closely, as he still lives there. Turns out that basketball basically helped to unite the country after the war, because basketball was one of the few things they could enjoy without sanctions. If he's anything close to right, it would be amazing.

Also, I stumbled upon this really positive video from weeks before the draft. So, it's not some homer fan getting hyped after the fact. This dude seems seriously disappointed that the draft projections are so low for this kid.

I low how this franchise has transitioned from building through vets to building through youth. The scouting department has been putting in work in recent years.
RexBoyWonder
RealGM

Post#55 » by RexBoyWonder » Sat Oct 8, 2022 11:14 am

gom
Heat forum: Expert Predictor
And1: 42,453

Post#56 » by gom » Sat Oct 8, 2022 11:12 pm

Saw this in the comments of one of the videos:

Nikola Jovic’s family hails from the Dinaric alps particularly a village called: Plavno. He is a Dalmatian Serb who are known as mountain Serbs and are usually really tall and muscular people. Some of the worlds tallest and broadest people come from the Dinaric alps and Dalmatia. These people are referred to in Serbian as “dinarski tip” or dinaric type of people and are said to be the first Serbs in the Balkan Peninsula. Since the break up of Yugoslavia, many Dalmatian/dinaric Serbs had to leave their homeland in Croatia and fled to Serbia because of the war. That’s why we now see many of them dominating in basketball within major Serbian cities because of their natural gifts.
I remember 11-30 with these guys. ^
KingDavid
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 39,806

Post#57 » by KingDavid » Sun Oct 9, 2022 5:27 am

IggieCC wrote:
DayofMourning wrote:I'm tempering my expectations. As long as he can become the best pick we've ever made, we should be good. He's basically KD 2.0.

Mario Hazjonga, Crystal Pozingis, TJ Leaf, Ryan Kelly, Jeff Whitey

We've been fooled by Rex's Euro stretch 4 white boy hype way too many times.

Never again DoM

None of those guys had Jovic's skill package as a rookie. It's promising to say the least.
#HEATLifer

Long Live Kobe Bryant. My idol's idol.
KingDavid
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 39,806

Post#58 » by KingDavid » Sun Oct 9, 2022 5:37 am

Needs some more stamina drills. That boy gets smoked a little too quick for Heat standards.
#HEATLifer

Long Live Kobe Bryant. My idol's idol.
Mickey8
Head Coach
And1: 5,176

Post#59 » by Mickey8 » Sun Oct 9, 2022 2:30 pm

Those who were surprised by his play making abilities, ball handling ,vision. Should watch some highlights from the youth competitions, he was always handling the ball for his teams , he was playing as the guard growing up. The reason why he fell so low in the NBA Draft was his average first pro season. But he also had some nagging injuries , and as you pointed out , his stamina , it was an issue last season too. If he can correct that , Miami have a great material to work with.

Return to Miami Heat