ImageImageImage

NBA Draft Thread 2023

Moderators: KingDavid, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside

DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 79,601

NBA Draft Thread 2023 

Post#1 » by DayofMourning » Tue Nov 1, 2022 9:26 pm

Post your favorite prospects and analysis here

https://www.nbamockdraftdatabase.com/

Looking like a very good draft this year. Generational at the top and quality throughout.
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: NBA Draft Thread 2023 

Post#2 » by DayofMourning » Tue Nov 1, 2022 9:32 pm

Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 71,750

Post#3 » by Wiltside » Tue Nov 1, 2022 9:55 pm

I'm not going to focus on the top end of the draft unless it becomes very clear we're going to be THAT bad. I still think we'll figure it out.

I'll probably focus on late lotto / mid FRP type talent. Getting hyped on Wemby is just going to end in sadness.
Formerly BG44, MB30 and Wade County at BasketballForum.com
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by DayofMourning » Tue Nov 1, 2022 9:59 pm

Wiltside wrote:I'm not going to focus on the top end of the draft unless it becomes very clear we're going to be THAT bad. I still think we'll figure it out.

I'll probably focus on late lotto / mid FRP type talent. Getting hyped on Wemby is just going to end in sadness.

We'd have to ha e something go pretty wrong to end up drafting high lotto. However, having a 37 year old Lowry, a retired Dipo, Yurt needing surgery, swingmen playing power positions and other factors doesn't have us trending up.

Regardless, lots of players to keep track of!
HeatIn5
General Manager
And1: 18,357

Post#5 » by HeatIn5 » Fri Nov 4, 2022 10:52 pm

Either a future star PG, or a legit option next to Bam.

Need a helpside defender so bad
Read on Twitter
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by DayofMourning » Sun Nov 6, 2022 5:44 pm

HeatIn5 wrote:Either a future star PG, or a legit option next to Bam.

Need a helpside defender so bad

The top 3 center prospects all fit the build to pair with Bam in the front court.

Victor is unattainable.

Lively and Ware will likely be late lotto type guys. Either would be a huge help.
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by DayofMourning » Sun Nov 6, 2022 5:46 pm

DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by DayofMourning » Sun Nov 6, 2022 5:47 pm

Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 71,750

Post#9 » by Wiltside » Tue Nov 8, 2022 10:04 am

Lively looks interesting. Could be a nice fit with Edrice.

In the mid lotto there’s guys like Jarace Walker and Cam Whitmore that would probably be Spo’s wet dream at the 4.
Formerly BG44, MB30 and Wade County at BasketballForum.com
RexBoyWonder
RealGM
And1: 33,404

Post#10 » by RexBoyWonder » Tue Nov 8, 2022 3:02 pm

With the way things are going - the 1-6 range in this draft should have a big impact on the decision we make.

How many franchise players are expected to come from that 1-6 range?

I know the top 2 are considered elite, how about the 3-6 players?

If there's a chance to get a corner stone type player in that range - blow this chit up. This team is desperate for talent.
Chalm Downs wrote:his nickname is boywonder ffs
puppa bear
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,500

Post#11 » by puppa bear » Tue Nov 8, 2022 11:42 pm

RexBoyWonder wrote:With the way things are going - the 1-6 range in this draft should have a big impact on the decision we make.

If there's a chance to get a corner stone type player in that range - blow this chit up. This team is desperate for talent.

We won’t know for sure until they start playing meaningful games. There may be up to 4, but feeling confident enough to blow this up is a stretch atm
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by DayofMourning » Wed Nov 9, 2022 2:27 am

RexBoyWonder wrote:With the way things are going - the 1-6 range in this draft should have a big impact on the decision we make.

Just send Jimmy Buckets to New Orleans for the Lakers pick and get this rebuild going with two high lotto picks.
puppa bear
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,500

Post#13 » by puppa bear » Wed Nov 9, 2022 7:14 am

DayofMourning wrote:

Just send Jimmy Buckets to New Orleans for the Lakers pick and get this rebuild going with two high lotto picks.

The problem with trading with NO is two-fold:
1. They don’t have the contracts to pay for Jimmy, without gutting depth or moving CJ. Jimmy/vet mins (Gabe/Yurt ?) for Graham/Val/Temple is the only deal that works without CJ. But their depth is then horrific and unless we include Gabe/Yurt we’re unlikely to get the Lakers pick.
2. They have strength at 2-3-4 & would be hunting a star PG (unless they thought they could run a Jimmy/CJ backcourt).

Maybe I’m overthinking it, and Jimmy is just worth hurting your team for
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by DayofMourning » Wed Nov 9, 2022 11:31 am

Yeah, his monster contract doesn't make trading him that easy. Valanciunas is a quality center too and I don't think every team is as rabid to embrace small ball as Miami.

However, Jimmy raises a teams ceiling by a lot. Every team he has been on has been a lot better after his addition. He would instantly substantiate NOP as a a contender.
3ammy3uck3ts
RealGM
And1: 34,527

Post#15 » by 3ammy3uck3ts » Wed Nov 9, 2022 1:21 pm

CJ actually plays PG for them.

CJ
Herb
Ingram
Zion
Val
#FreeBam
IceColdCubano
General Manager
And1: 16,379

Post#16 » by IceColdCubano » Wed Nov 9, 2022 8:15 pm

I think a top 5 player would be nice but #1 & #2 in this draft are game changers for sure. I just think we need to commit to either just being bad and let the younglings get experience with a chance at a world changing talent next year. Or we make a big trade willing to lose Bam to pick up a perennial all-star scoring wing next to Jimmy to go all in.
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by DayofMourning » Wed Nov 9, 2022 10:23 pm

IceColdCubano wrote:I think a top 5 player would be nice but #1 & #2 in this draft are game changers for sure. I just think we need to commit to either just being bad and let the younglings get experience with a chance at a world changing talent next year. Or we make a big trade willing to lose Bam to pick up a perennial all-star scoring wing next to Jimmy to go all in.

This draft could open up quite a bit by the time draft night comes. We might see a real juicy top 8 or so. I like a lot of guys in this one. I'd do what I could to get another lotto pick and take my chances on a draft rebuild.
RexBoyWonder
RealGM
And1: 33,404

Post#18 » by RexBoyWonder » Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:00 am

DayofMourning wrote:
IceColdCubano wrote:I think a top 5 player would be nice but #1 & #2 in this draft are game changers for sure. I just think we need to commit to either just being bad and let the younglings get experience with a chance at a world changing talent next year. Or we make a big trade willing to lose Bam to pick up a perennial all-star scoring wing next to Jimmy to go all in.

This draft could open up quite a bit by the time draft night comes. We might see a real juicy top 8 or so. I like a lot of guys in this one. I'd do what I could to get another lotto pick and take my chances on a draft rebuild.

Who are the 2 guys in the 2-8 range that can transform us by 2024?
Chalm Downs wrote:his nickname is boywonder ffs
IceColdCubano
General Manager
And1: 16,379

Post#19 » by IceColdCubano » Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:52 pm

RexBoyWonder wrote:
DayofMourning wrote:

Who are the 2 guys in the 2-8 range that can transform us by 2024?

Assuming that Wemb is going #1 with all certainty unless something catastrophic happens between now an then.
#2 is Scoot Henderson is the clear #2 and a future perennial all-star pg. Is the PG we need to get us to the next level, is ability to break down the teams with his athleticism would mean Bam, and company would feast on open shots and rim runs.

Then it drops in quality slightly but with very high upside:
#3/#4 are interchangable at Keyonte George ( Wade light ) Nick Smith ( Gilbert Arenas supposedly ) perfect replacements for Jimmy once he retires, both are big 6'-5" SG or play the SF for us.
#5 is most likely Gregory Jackson, the best big in the draft after Wemb ( I see Amare Stoudemire in his game ) Perfect fit next to Bam as he is a high level scorer at the PF spot.

Then it drops in quality slightly with some skill and medium upside:
The next four to five candidates are all SF and or combo wings all interchangeable.
We really need to be in the top 5 to get guaranteed quality with very high upside.
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by DayofMourning » Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:33 pm

RexBoyWonder wrote:Who are the 2 guys in the 2-8 range that can transform us by 2024?

Scoot at 2 is a very gifted player. Advanced offensive skills. Would love him here. He's a game changer.

Others like Smith, the Thompson bros, Lively, etc. could all be integral parts of a rebuild.

What's happening in 2024 btw?

Return to Miami Heat