ImageImageImage

R3G1: Heat @ Celtics, 5/17/23 8:30pm

Moderators: KingDavid, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside

Beenie
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,306

Re: R3G1: Heat @ Celtics, 5/17/23 8:30pm 

Post#841 » by Beenie » Thu May 18, 2023 3:50 pm

Kobewade11 wrote:
Beenie wrote:Adam has been advocating to move Herro for OG Anunoby which I used to think was ridiculous.

I have to admit now that it makes some sense.

Something like an OG and Gary Trent package and filler for Herro and parts (hopefully Duncan) would be something to consider.

Looking at it from the other side, why does Toronto have any interest in this deal?

OG has one year left and then has a player option and Trent has a PO this offseason so their time in Tor could be up real fast.

Masai is gonna obviously want young players and picks.

There's reason to believe that Tor likes Herro considering the rumors about them holding off on trading Lowry to Mia to try to sqeeze Herro away.

If Herro and a FFR as the primary return isnt enough, Mia could also throw in Jovic.

Maybe then Mia can ask for Precious back in return.
3ammy3uck3ts
RealGM
And1: 34,525

Post#842 » by 3ammy3uck3ts » Thu May 18, 2023 4:02 pm

Lennyzinho wrote:I ain't no Herro stan but y'all are taking this a bit too far.
The biggest change to the Heat has been the 3pt shooting %
I understand what some are saying that the ball is moving more and we are getting better shots etc... We were getting plenty of good looks during regular season, the ball just wasn't going in. Herro and Caleb were our best 3pt shooters during the season. And the main difference in the playoffs, is that Jimmy touches the ball every possession and initiates the action. It's not that Herro is out of the rotation.
Also, Herro seemed to plateau offensively, but he improved defensively. There were articles by SI and Heavy about Herro's improved defense:
https://heatnation.com/team-news/eastern-conference-executive-praises-tyler-herro-for-his-improved-defense-you-definitely-cant-target-him-anymore/
Saying exactly the opposite of what y'all are saying, that he isn't someone to target over and over anymore. Strus is bigger but worse defensively. Vincent is 'pesky' and 'relentless' as Reggie Miller likes to point out but is small, got picked on by Jaylen Brown, commits bad fouls and almost cost us game 6 vs the Knicks. Not only would I take Herro over the Duncan minutes, I'd also take him over Gabe in the Lowry/Gabe playing together rotation or even closing out games. Herro was literally the best FT shooter in the league this year at 93.4%. Dude hadn't missed a FT attempt in over 100 tries until he got hurt. He's a very good rebounder for his size and has much better leaping ability or crashing boards than Gabe and shoots better from 3 and also creates better...
Gabe shot 11 for 41 which is .268% from 3 during the Knicks series. Thank goodness he went 3 for 5 yesterday to average that out a bit. He's a career 33.3% 3 Pt shooter, Herro is a career 38% shooter and was shooting that same percentage this year also. Bigger. Better rebounder. Better creator.

You wanna trade Herro to upgrade the team, that's fine. If it gets us a real upgrade, I'm here for it. But if someone is suggesting trade Herro away so we can make sure to pay Gabe 15M a year, I'll lose it.

You can definitely still target Herro lol. Off the top of my head there was a game in New York this year where he was being targeted non stop and the Knicks shot like 18-21 when defended by Herro.

I agree I’ll gladly take him in that role over Vincent (who is a better defender than Herro) because of Herros shot making ability.

Strus is a better defender than Herro, Herro isn’t locking up Tatum in the clutch like we saw Strus do a couple times last night.

Herro will come off the bench if he returns and rightfully so. If he’s available there’s no way you keep him out of the rotation. I’d imagine Gabe plays the opening stint of both halves and doesn’t check back in and Duncan loses his minutes.
#FreeBam
Grumpy Heat Fan
General Manager
And1: 8,302

Post#843 » by Grumpy Heat Fan » Thu May 18, 2023 4:03 pm

HeatFanDan wrote:Predictably, after a big Heat win, no Stephen A. on First Take. smh. ESPN is a network of cowards.

i dont watch ESPN but i do watch Skip and Shannon, and they praised Jimmy a lot

"As for me personally, I don't truly care how much I make these days, my main focus is on playing for a winner." - Dirk Nowitzki, July 2016
greg4012
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,748

Post#844 » by greg4012 » Thu May 18, 2023 4:07 pm

I understand what some are saying that the ball is moving more and we are getting better shots etc... We were getting plenty of good looks during regular season, the ball just wasn't going in. Herro and Caleb were our best 3pt shooters during the season. And the main difference in the playoffs, is that Jimmy touches the ball every possession and initiates the action. It's not that Herro is out of the rotation.
Also, Herro seemed to plateau offensively, but he improved defensively. There were articles by SI and Heavy about Herro's improved defense:
https://heatnation.com/team-news/eastern-conference-executive-praises-tyler-herro-for-his-improved-defense-you-definitely-cant-target-him-anymore/
Saying exactly the opposite of what y'all are saying, that he isn't someone to target over and over anymore. Strus is bigger but worse defensively. Vincent is 'pesky' and 'relentless' as Reggie Miller likes to point out but is small, got picked on by Jaylen Brown, commits bad fouls and almost cost us game 6 vs the Knicks. Not only would I take Herro over the Duncan minutes, I'd also take him over Gabe in the Lowry/Gabe playing together rotation or even closing out games. Herro was literally the best FT shooter in the league this year at 93.4%. Dude hadn't missed a FT attempt in over 100 tries until he got hurt. He's a very good rebounder for his size and has much better leaping ability or crashing boards than Gabe and shoots better from 3 and also creates better...
Gabe shot 11 for 41 which is .268% from 3 during the Knicks series. Thank goodness he went 3 for 5 yesterday to average that out a bit. He's a career 33.3% 3 Pt shooter, Herro is a career 38% shooter and was shooting that same percentage this year also. Bigger. Better rebounder. Better creator.

You wanna trade Herro to upgrade the team, that's fine. If it gets us a real upgrade, I'm here for it. But if someone is suggesting trade Herro away so we can make sure to pay Gabe 15M a year, I'll lose it.

Solid post--but Strus is NOT worse defensively. Strus also fits Miami's playoff game VERY well and executes on both sides of the ball.

I welcome Herro returning when he's ready to contribute.
greg4012
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,748

Post#845 » by greg4012 » Thu May 18, 2023 4:11 pm

Lennyzinho wrote:The boards thinking "We are playing better because Herro is out"
When it should be "Playoff Jimmy elevating entire team around him and shots are going in. We'd be even more dangerous with Herro"

Team follows their leader. When the leader is coasting, the team doesn't have direction.

When the leader is inspiring, the team follows suit.

Plus, from a bball perspective, the paint penetration and offensive movement that comes from our guys being fully engaged opens everything up. I firmly believe some of our 3-point shooting decline this regular season was very flukey (these were verified shooters suddenly stinking it up). But, I also believe that the ramp up in paint penetration and off-ball movement has given our 3-point shooters better looks and more confident looks within the flow of the offense.

We shouldn't be shocked by what we're seeing these playoffs. We saw this last playoffs. The shocking thing was how disjointed our regular season was. Same cast of characters.
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 79,601

Post#846 » by DayofMourning » Thu May 18, 2023 4:14 pm

7 more wins to go.
3ammy3uck3ts
RealGM

Post#847 » by 3ammy3uck3ts » Thu May 18, 2023 4:22 pm

We’ll focus on the Herro stuff when the time comes, right now let’s get these 3 wins and secure our spot in the finals. Otherwise none of the talk matters because he isn’t coming back until then
#FreeBam
eddieheatfan
RealGM
And1: 24,891

Post#848 » by eddieheatfan » Thu May 18, 2023 5:10 pm

Grumpy Heat Fan wrote:
HeatFanDan wrote:Predictably, after a big Heat win, no Stephen A. on First Take. smh. ESPN is a network of cowards.

i dont watch ESPN but i do watch Skip and Shannon, and they praised Jimmy a lot

lol tatum a super star? :lol: what they have good players and pushers and floppers but none of these guys are stars or super stars come on :lol:
eddieheatfan
RealGM

Post#849 » by eddieheatfan » Thu May 18, 2023 5:14 pm

greg4012 wrote:

Solid post--but Strus is NOT worse defensively. Strus also fits Miami's playoff game VERY well and executes on both sides of the ball.

herro is a spot up shooter that can create his own shot nothing more nothing less until he learns how to handle the ball better. he is not a good ballhandler or dribbler and its also turnover prone. he needs to rein in those to be really effective

also his defense is very suspect too
3ammy3uck3ts
RealGM

Post#850 » by 3ammy3uck3ts » Thu May 18, 2023 6:20 pm

Wrong thread
#FreeBam
benhillboy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,649

Post#851 » by benhillboy » Thu May 18, 2023 10:11 pm

Damn a Tyler Herro. So ecstatic he’s on the sideline dressed like a bozo. I thought Pat lost his damn mind slotting him as a starter. Water under the bridge now.

Jimmy triple teamed on a bad ankle yields much better team offense than Tyler fully healthy in space lol. What Strus and Duncan may lack in terms of ball pressure, they more than make up for with considerably higher IQs than Tyler. It’s a pimp slap in the face to Gabe and Caleb mentioning them in the same sentence defensively as Tyler as well (sorry guys lol)

My dream off guard for the Heat has always been Delon Wright. He shares so many off-the-chart floor game traits as Jimmy, literally the only player in the Hawks series last season who made any type of winning impact, along with Bogdonavic ever so slightly. Could you imagine Jimmy getting slightly better shot quality with a little less defensive workload? Insane.
Vertical Limit
RealGM
And1: 5,378

Post#852 » by Vertical Limit » Thu May 18, 2023 10:24 pm

eddieheatfan wrote:
greg4012 wrote:

herro is a spot up shooter that can create his own shot nothing more nothing less until he learns how to handle the ball better. he is not a good ballhandler or dribbler and its also turnover prone. he needs to rein in those to be really effective

also his defense is very suspect too

Hes also a very average playoff performer.

41% field goal percentage, 31% from 3 point range are his postseason career averages. That kind of efficiency would end us
3ammy3uck3ts
RealGM

Post#853 » by 3ammy3uck3ts » Thu May 18, 2023 10:36 pm

benhillboy wrote:Damn a Tyler Herro. So ecstatic he’s on the sideline dressed like a bozo. I thought Pat lost his damn mind slotting him as a starter. Water under the bridge now.

Jimmy triple teamed on a bad ankle yields much better team offense than Tyler fully healthy in space lol. What Strus and Duncan may lack in terms of ball pressure, they more than make up for with considerably higher IQs than Tyler. It’s a pimp slap in the face to Gabe and Caleb mentioning them in the same sentence defensively as Tyler as well (sorry guys lol)

My dream off guard for the Heat has always been Delon Wright. He shares so many off-the-chart floor game traits as Jimmy, literally the only player in the Hawks series last season who made any type of winning impact, along with Bogdonavic ever so slightly. Could you imagine Jimmy getting slightly better shot quality with a little less defensive workload? Insane.

I thought you were cooking something up there for a minute Dorell but then you mentioned your little brother as your dream off guard :lol: surely there is someone else out there you’d rather have
#FreeBam
IceColdCubano
General Manager
And1: 16,378

Post#854 » by IceColdCubano » Thu May 18, 2023 11:02 pm

3ammy3uck3ts wrote:
benhillboy wrote:Damn a Tyler Herro. So ecstatic he’s on the sideline dressed like a bozo. I thought Pat lost his damn mind slotting him as a starter. Water under the bridge now.

I thought you were cooking something up there for a minute Dorell but then you mentioned your little brother as your dream off guard :lol: surely there is someone else out there you’d rather have

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Good catch Sammy, we have some iffy recommendations.
Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 71,750

Post#855 » by Wiltside » Thu May 18, 2023 11:43 pm

Let’s not act like Herro is some scrub. He’s one of our better talents on the roster and a 20ppg scorer. If he comes back, we’ll find a spot for him in the rotation. It just won’t be as a starter right now. Would be useful though in games either Vincent, Strus, Robinson, Martin or Lowry are struggling though.
Formerly BG44, MB30 and Wade County at BasketballForum.com
3ballbomber
General Manager
And1: 10,027

Post#856 » by 3ballbomber » Fri May 19, 2023 1:40 am

Kobewade11 wrote:If you're questioning Herro's fit on a potential return what you're really doing is doubting Erik Spoelstra. He is going to put guys where they need to be to succeed.

Wiltside wrote:Let’s not act like Herro is some scrub. He’s one of our better talents on the roster and a 20ppg scorer. If he comes back, we’ll find a spot for him in the rotation. It just won’t be as a starter right now. Would be useful though in games either Vincent, Strus, Robinson, Martin or Lowry are struggling though.

The pattern for this team has always been players stepping up when key players are out - 'Next Man Up' philosophy. Spo also not only does a great job adjusting but gets the most out of the rest of the roster. It's no difference here. Yet the very player being criticized here was instrumental in the absence of Jimmy, Bam & Lowry last season in helping this team win ball games & in turn clinching 1st seed.

It's amusing to read so many calling players such as Gabe & Strus scrubs & wanting to trade them in reg season but now that we've turned up, awake for the playoffs, Jimmy playing on another planet, our 3s finally dropping & EVERYBODY is playing well in Herro's absence, they'd then rather these same 'scrubs' you wanted to rid of over Herro & now deeming Herro a liability even though nobody actually knows how we'd be w/ Herro playing.

So It's absurd reading these comments esp regarding a 20ppg player, who is only in his 4th season. We talk about him like he's a finished product or a scrub when i guarantee many teams would want him on their roster. It's situations such as this where we're deep in the playoffs that players gain experience & develop their game, IQ & mentality. We need everybody out there especially our young guns.

Criticism of Herro currently is nothing but hypothetical & speculation considering nobody knows what this team would currently look like if he was on the court. Herro looked to be in prove-himself mode - in 19mins vs Bucks His line was 12pts, 2rebounds, 2assits, 1block on 55.6% shooting including 2 of 4 from 3s for 50%. Small sample size but we all agree Herro looked good. We don't know wether he'd have dropped 30+ that game & continued to have a solid performance throughout PO's. Hell he may have even won us 1 or 2 games. It's currently unfair to then GUESS how bad Herro would be had he been playing. This is ridiculous & again only our very own fan base would do this to one of our own. Doesn't shock me at all.

Also why are we second guessing Spo & our coaching staff after the brilliance where showing that you think we wouldn't understand how to insert Herro w/out disrupting what we have if he does come back. Like suddenly Spo's brain switches to retard-mode :crazy:

I guarantee our coaches & front office do not share the same view w/ fans. They'd want Herro playing. But again had we listened to fans most our players are already gone, we'd have tanked & watching playoff games on the couch.
Championship teams experience adversities. We in that process. Started gm1. Remember this time. Remember this pain. Our time is coming...

Built the right way. Play the right way. Win the right way . .

Virtue, Ethics & Honor
eddieheatfan
RealGM

Post#857 » by eddieheatfan » Fri May 19, 2023 2:03 am

Wiltside wrote:Let’s not act like Herro is some scrub. He’s one of our better talents on the roster and a 20ppg scorer. If he comes back, we’ll find a spot for him in the rotation. It just won’t be as a starter right now. Would be useful though in games either Vincent, Strus, Robinson, Martin or Lowry are struggling though.
nope he's not a scrub but he has some issues on offense and defense that he needs to work and i believe he can do it if he has a will.

hey jimmy wasnt always that great of a player but through perseverance and practice and a tremendous work ethic he is now where he is, among the premiers basketball players among the league.

the old saying rings true: practice makes perfect
Shewasfly
Head Coach
And1: 11,540

Post#858 » by Shewasfly » Fri May 19, 2023 2:26 am

There's a difference between being a poor ball handler and just making dumb decisions. Tyler makes dumb decisions as many young players do, but he's not a poor ball handler. I think his entire future hinges on him putting on weight and being able to be more physical and get to the line at a 4-6 free throws per game clip. He also must commit to getting better on defense, which we've already started to see signs of. If he can't/won't do that, he will just end up being a sixth man/spark scorer type.

I don't think he's a finished product, and its wild to see it from ppl who at the same time think Bam who is 2 seasons and 3 years older still has room to grow. All that said, I'm not at all opposed to trading Herro at all though. I want a star paired with Jimmy and everyone outside of him is tradeable to bring that to fruition imo.

Really weird, though, to come into a thread where we just won a huge game and see nothing but talk about trading away our 3rd best player. Yall aren't tired at this point?
:tiredJB:
powerball1373
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,331

Post#859 » by powerball1373 » Fri May 19, 2023 3:24 am

It's as simple as this. There's definitely a spot for him, and I don't think he's going to have any problems coming off the bench, even in a limited role. I expect he'll be super grateful that he's even able to suit up again after everyone thought his season was over when he suffered the injury. Also, he's never been known to be an emo **** like say, Jordan Poole. He'll come in and do what's asked/needed, or he won't play, but it never hurts to have more talent at your disposal.

That being said, huge win for the Nuggs tonight. NBA cannot let the Lakers go down 0-3, so maybe they send Scott Foster to LA on Saturday instead of Boston tomorrow?

ShulaDon92
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,391

Post#860 » by ShulaDon92 » Fri May 19, 2023 3:27 am

Wow so much Tyler Herro talk. It's like an obsession lol

He is kinda cute i guess lol

-SHULA

Return to Miami Heat