ImageImageImage

GAME SEBEM!!! FOR ALL THE MARBLES! HEATS V. MEERKATS , MONDAY, 5/29, 8:30PM!!!

Moderators: KingDavid, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, MettaWorldPanda, heat4life

greg4012
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,801

Re: GAME SEBEM!!! FOR ALL THE MARBLES! HEATS V. MEERKATS , MONDAY, 5/29, 8:30PM!!! 

Post#2281 » by greg4012 » Thu Jun 1, 2023 4:39 pm

If you can't see Bam's added value in the screen assists, then the dialogue can end right there from my perspective.

If it was so easy to create quality looks off a screen, then every team would be taking wide open shots on every possession. The reality is that Bam is multi-faceted enough to handle all big man responsibilities for the entire team in the playoffs. This is what allows more shooting to be on the floor which is how Miami is leveling up as a shooting team in the playoffs. Consistently absorbing the blows of multiple top tier giant defenders and holding enough ground to get them off the ball is a pretty impressive task. I've seen way too many sh**ty screening big men over the years to not value when someone is elite at it. Bam leads all players this postseason in screen assists by a wide margin BTW. Jokic is #2 (they produce at a similar rate on Jokic has played less games).

On the defensive end, Miami deploys and toggles between different schemes constantly, but the underlying dynamic in all of them is to "guard your yard". Spo is obsessed with scheming the entire space of the court (hence him studying football spread concepts). Whenever Bam is on the floor, his yard is probably 2x the size of anyone else's. He defends (both on ball and help) a metric **** ton of space. This allows the defenders around him to (1) have an easier job (less area to defend) and (2) play aggressive (cause havoc with turnovers). This is how Miami is able to survive this far into the playoffs with some average at best defenders in the regular rotation.

As to trying to make all of Bam's contributions a comparison to Jimmy... what? Jimmy is the top dog. Zero questions there. He leads us. Him doing more than Bam is needed and expected. With that said, they each have distinct roles in which they need to take the lead. The more Bam does the better.

The whole post above me is pretty much using a lot of text to say very little of substance.
greg4012
Lead Assistant

Re: GAME SEBEM!!! FOR ALL THE MARBLES! HEATS V. MEERKATS , MONDAY, 5/29, 8:30PM!!! 

Post#2282 » by greg4012 » Thu Jun 1, 2023 4:41 pm

The big men he defended in the game Horford on the perimeter (2of5@40% 3P% on the three point line), Robert Williams 3(4of5@80% FG% at the RIM). He defended them 75% of the time on the floor, with those numbers also afflicted by switches where he found himself on the perimeter.

Can you share where we can find game-by-game stats reflecting how often each player spent defending each opposing player?
3ammy3uck3ts
RealGM
And1: 35,009

Post#2283 » by 3ammy3uck3ts » Thu Jun 1, 2023 4:58 pm

IceColdCubano wrote:
3ammy3uck3ts wrote:
IceColdCubano wrote:The Celtics shot 28% as a whole regardless of whom was covering them. Some of these tweets are dumb, you don't need to exaggerate and prop one player up to make them look better. Listen we know he does a lot of other things, nobody takes away the intangibles from Bam he has those on lock. Its when his fumbling balls, commits turn overs from dribbling off his own foot, missing bunnies at the basket, letting guards beat him to rebounds, fades away 10ft from the basket with a defender not even covering him and or afraid of posting up a 6'-5 wing that we give him a hard time about.

The Bam hate brigade loving the fake statistics I see :o

I wasn't a statistic it was an exaggerated comment from me to prove a point vs a tweet from a guy who enjoys to oversimplify context into something greater than it is.

Lets talk about context in statistics, because numbers without actual delivery mean nothing: lets dissect the tweet, because its the only way you understand how I am looking at the information.

Three points of emphasis on this Tweet:
1. 28.6% from the field vs Bam
2. Bam lead the Heat in Assist & Rebounds.
3. 10 Screen Assist to help free up shooters.

I will leave Point #1 for last, but lets start with Bam leading the Heat in Assist & Rebounds.
For the series, Bam averaged team leading 9.1 rebounds, the next best was Jimmy with 7.6 and the next Caleb at 6.4. However this specific game Bam was tied with Caleb with 10 rebounds, Both Jimmy and Lowry had 7 rebounds respectively. Boston shot an abysmal 39% overall FG% and 21.4% 3P%, which means lots of rebounds to go around there was no fighting for boards or some outworldly chaos to go grab these boards. Also Miami is more of gang rebounding team, its more opportunity than anything else, but the expectation is the Big man should still grab more based on size. Boston had 40 rebounds to Miami's 42 rebounds, so again there is nothing here of significance to point to Bam being extraordinary. Jason Tatum on a bum ankle got 11 rebounds, Al Horford who played 9 less minutes picked up 9 boards.

Lead the team in Assist this game by getting 7 Assist, Jimmy this game got 6 Assist Kyle 5 and Vincent 4. Jimmy averaged more Assist through the entire series due to the double coverage and collapsing defense, similar to Bam when he received the ball on the drop to the basket. With Bam having one large difference from Jimmy he committed 4 TO this game which means TO to ASSIST ratio in this game was worse than his other assist leader teammates. Making his Assist totals not really look as appealing as previously thought. Miami's 26 Assist to Boston's 18 Assist, Miami players were far more organized and better schematically. Bam lead the team in DHO's and Screen Assist which the next point so it makes a lot of sense he would be the receiver in more Assist. Also to his credit although he was abysmal in the post, the Boston defense collapse whenever he stepped foot into the dunkers area, which means he read those plays correct by passing out to open team mates whom were killing the them hitting threes.

This gets to the next point, Screen Assist. He is the primary pick setter in the greater majority of all DHO's because he does them the best. I don't necessarily understand how these is kudos moment, when were schematically in line to perform this scheme over and over and over again. It works, its like crediting Vincent for taking away 2-3 extra seconds of the shot clock on 10 possessions by performing full court press on the opposing ball handler in a game. When Vincent is schematically told to do this over and over again because its successful. Something that Lowry wouldn't be told to do because he is slow footed and fat at this point his man will dribble by him, Hence why Spo is ok with Vincent or Caleb or even Jimmy to do this at certain points. Nobody else will be the biggest receiver in Screen Assist day in day out outside of Bam unless Spo changes the scheme in the series.

The last thing which is the big WOW from the tweet, Bam held Boston to 28.6%. So lets get into the context of this stat within the game. Boston shot and Abysmal 21.4% on 3pt% this game. Bam Adebayo is our best perimeter defender who can guard 1-5 and keep up with Guards, Wings and stay on their hip, play them to their worst spots and funnel to another Miami defender. However this specific game Boston in all its wisdom decided to launch 42 3pointers at the rim, and hit at 21.4% 3pt% rate, Bam was the primary defender on the switch who sprinted as the clock was winding down running at the players at the 3pt line after the 2nd to 3rd pass. This was because he was usually man 4 or 5 on the 3-2 zone on the corner schematically. We let them shoot the 3ball because they were not hitting and we lived with the results. Bam did not make it to contest half the time, and neither did any of our players for that matter. There was a tweet that said more than 60% of the threes taken by Boston was uncontested or mildly contested. Again they shot 21.4% were talking a stat that would be applied to Bams defended FG% because he was the primary guy running them down. This is not the game to credit Bam for such a low FG% against defenders come on son!, he had an advantage schematically there. But lets put more context into this. The big men he defended in the game Horford on the perimeter (2of5@40% 3P% on the three point line), Robert Williams 3(4of5@80% FG% at the RIM). He defended them 75% of the time on the floor, with those numbers also afflicted by switches where he found himself on the perimeter.

Once more the word of the day is Context. Those stats above are from NBA reference and NBA.com them factual, not made up.

Ok we’ll idc about all the other ish you’re talking about but let’s get back to the defensive numbers which was the first one you jumped on that started the convo by saying the Celtics as a team shot 28% so what bam did want impressive.

You said 60% of their 3 point attempts were uncontested, it was actually 24% (10 of the 42).

You pointed to Al Horford being 2-5 from 3, of the 42 total 3s attempted Bam defended 4 of them and they shot 1-4. For the series Bam held Horford to 5-16 shooting and 3-11 from 3.

Bam contested majority of his shots inside the 3 point line and Boston shot 3-10 on those attempts. Boston shot 58% from 2 but only managed to shoot 30% on Bam. Take away the Bams contested shots and Boston shot 67% from 2.

Yes Rob Williams will score on high efficiency when he onky shoots open dunks and layups.

The 2 players Bam actually contested the most this series:

Tatum: 10-23 for 43%

Brown: 10-24 for 42%

Pretty inefficient numbers for scorers of that caliber. 47% and 49% for the season.

Context does matter, it matters greatly but only when it isn’t blatantly wrong.
#FreeBam
3ammy3uck3ts
RealGM

Post#2284 » by 3ammy3uck3ts » Thu Jun 1, 2023 5:00 pm

greg4012 wrote:
The big men he defended in the game Horford on the perimeter (2of5@40% 3P% on the three point line), Robert Williams 3(4of5@80% FG% at the RIM). He defended them 75% of the time on the floor, with those numbers also afflicted by switches where he found himself on the perimeter.

Can you share where we can find game-by-game stats reflecting how often each player spent defending each opposing player?

ICCs a good dude and means we’ll but his Bam hate has been off the rails lately for some reason, he tried to double down and it backfired because none of the stuff he was saying was true.

Honestly this tends to be the case with majority of the Bam hate, but when you bring the actual numbers up they deflect and then the whole brigade jumps in, not necessarily speaking to ICC here
#FreeBam
3ammy3uck3ts
RealGM

Post#2285 » by 3ammy3uck3ts » Thu Jun 1, 2023 5:01 pm

Also just want to throw out there 2 of Bams turnovers came after the Celtics through the scrubs in and waived the white flag, not when things were still in question. I’ll take a 7/2 assist to TO ratio from my center any day.
#FreeBam
IceColdCubano
General Manager
And1: 16,592

Post#2286 » by IceColdCubano » Thu Jun 1, 2023 5:41 pm

3ammy3uck3ts wrote:
IceColdCubano wrote:
3ammy3uck3ts wrote:
The Bam hate brigade loving the fake statistics I see :o

I wasn't a statistic it was an exaggerated comment from me to prove a point vs a tweet from a guy who enjoys to oversimplify context into something greater than it is.

Lets talk about context in statistics, because numbers without actual delivery mean nothing: lets dissect the tweet, because its the only way you understand how I am looking at the information.

I will leave Point #1 for last, but lets start with Bam leading the Heat in Assist & Rebounds.
For the series, Bam averaged team leading 9.1 rebounds, the next best was Jimmy with 7.6 and the next Caleb at 6.4. However this specific game Bam was tied with Caleb with 10 rebounds, Both Jimmy and Lowry had 7 rebounds respectively. Boston shot an abysmal 39% overall FG% and 21.4% 3P%, which means lots of rebounds to go around there was no fighting for boards or some outworldly chaos to go grab these boards. Also Miami is more of gang rebounding team, its more opportunity than anything else, but the expectation is the Big man should still grab more based on size. Boston had 40 rebounds to Miami's 42 rebounds, so again there is nothing here of significance to point to Bam being extraordinary. Jason Tatum on a bum ankle got 11 rebounds, Al Horford who played 9 less minutes picked up 9 boards.

Lead the team in Assist this game by getting 7 Assist, Jimmy this game got 6 Assist Kyle 5 and Vincent 4. Jimmy averaged more Assist through the entire series due to the double coverage and collapsing defense, similar to Bam when he received the ball on the drop to the basket. With Bam having one large difference from Jimmy he committed 4 TO this game which means TO to ASSIST ratio in this game was worse than his other assist leader teammates. Making his Assist totals not really look as appealing as previously thought. Miami's 26 Assist to Boston's 18 Assist, Miami players were far more organized and better schematically. Bam lead the team in DHO's and Screen Assist which the next point so it makes a lot of sense he would be the receiver in more Assist. Also to his credit although he was abysmal in the post, the Boston defense collapse whenever he stepped foot into the dunkers area, which means he read those plays correct by passing out to open team mates whom were killing the them hitting threes.

This gets to the next point, Screen Assist. He is the primary pick setter in the greater majority of all DHO's because he does them the best. I don't necessarily understand how these is kudos moment, when were schematically in line to perform this scheme over and over and over again. It works, its like crediting Vincent for taking away 2-3 extra seconds of the shot clock on 10 possessions by performing full court press on the opposing ball handler in a game. When Vincent is schematically told to do this over and over again because its successful. Something that Lowry wouldn't be told to do because he is slow footed and fat at this point his man will dribble by him, Hence why Spo is ok with Vincent or Caleb or even Jimmy to do this at certain points. Nobody else will be the biggest receiver in Screen Assist day in day out outside of Bam unless Spo changes the scheme in the series.

The last thing which is the big WOW from the tweet, Bam held Boston to 28.6%. So lets get into the context of this stat within the game. Boston shot and Abysmal 21.4% on 3pt% this game. Bam Adebayo is our best perimeter defender who can guard 1-5 and keep up with Guards, Wings and stay on their hip, play them to their worst spots and funnel to another Miami defender. However this specific game Boston in all its wisdom decided to launch 42 3pointers at the rim, and hit at 21.4% 3pt% rate, Bam was the primary defender on the switch who sprinted as the clock was winding down running at the players at the 3pt line after the 2nd to 3rd pass. This was because he was usually man 4 or 5 on the 3-2 zone on the corner schematically. We let them shoot the 3ball because they were not hitting and we lived with the results. Bam did not make it to contest half the time, and neither did any of our players for that matter. There was a tweet that said more than 60% of the threes taken by Boston was uncontested or mildly contested. Again they shot 21.4% were talking a stat that would be applied to Bams defended FG% because he was the primary guy running them down. This is not the game to credit Bam for such a low FG% against defenders come on son!, he had an advantage schematically there. But lets put more context into this. The big men he defended in the game Horford on the perimeter (2of5@40% 3P% on the three point line), Robert Williams 3(4of5@80% FG% at the RIM). He defended them 75% of the time on the floor, with those numbers also afflicted by switches where he found himself on the perimeter.

Once more the word of the day is Context. Those stats above are from NBA reference and NBA.com them factual, not made up.

Ok we’ll idc about all the other ish you’re talking about but let’s get back to the defensive numbers which was the first one you jumped on that started the convo by saying the Celtics as a team shot 28% so what bam did want impressive.

There is no Ish, it all matters because those defensive numbers have to be understood with how were playing the game in regards to whats the other team is actually doing, my initial reaction was based on the Tweet trying to prop up Bam like if those statistics were outworldly when they weren't.

You said 60% of their 3 point attempts were uncontested, it was actually 24% (10 of the 42).

Didn't say all 60% of them were all uncontested go reread. There's like three type or four types of contested ranges they track, I was quoting a tweet from the end of the game.

You pointed to Al Horford being 2-5 from 3, of the 42 total 3s attempted Bam defended 4 of them and they shot 1-4. For the series Bam held Horford to 5-16 shooting and 3-11 from 3.

Were talking about this game specifically, not the other 6 games, and I also stated those stats as a whole for the player in coverage from everyone, made note that Bam was on switches on the perimeter so he wasn't directly affected by all those makes or misses.

Bam contested majority of his shots inside the 3 point line and Boston shot 3-10 on those attempts. Boston shot 58% from 2 but only managed to shoot 30% on Bam. Take away the Bams contested shots and Boston shot 67% from 2.

I already explained why schematically he had the advantage to at the end of the shot clock on the 2 - 3 zone which gave him the better numbers, or gave him an advantage to make them look better. Look at Caleb Martins numbers who sat at the other corner opposite from him in regards to how the zone affected the defensive FG% against

Yes Rob Williams will score on high efficiency when he onky shoots open dunks and layups.

Still have to defend him on the roll, and box him out no? and or contest at the rim no? ok got it.

Pretty inefficient numbers for scorers of that caliber. 47% and 49% for the season.

Again, your talking about the series, were talking about this game. Also Tatum and Brown had the worst shooting percentages across the board regardless of who was covering them, not to count the amount of Turn overs they committed these series.

I get it, you want to look at raw stats without correlating it to actual game footage. I am not a Bam hater, I give him his props, this was not the game, everyone gets props as a team on this one. He has had great games throughout the playoffs, you seem to think I am his biggest critic, I just call him out accordingly.
greg4012
Lead Assistant

Post#2287 » by greg4012 » Thu Jun 1, 2023 5:48 pm

There's a contingency of Heat fans that swear Bam can be replaced by any above average defensive big man and Miami would barely miss a beat. I think that's utter lunacy.
3ammy3uck3ts
RealGM

Post#2288 » by 3ammy3uck3ts » Thu Jun 1, 2023 5:50 pm

IceColdCubano wrote:
3ammy3uck3ts wrote:
IceColdCubano wrote:I wasn't a statistic it was an exaggerated comment from me to prove a point vs a tweet from a guy who enjoys to oversimplify context into something greater than it is.

There is no Ish, it all matters because those defensive numbers have to be understood with how were playing the game in regards to whats the other team is actually doing, my initial reaction was based on the Tweet trying to prop up Bam like if those statistics were outworldly when they weren't.

Didn't say all 60% of them were all uncontested go reread. There's like three type or four types of contested ranges they track, I was quoting a tweet from the end of the game.

Were talking about this game specifically, not the other 6 games, and I also stated those stats as a whole for the player in coverage from everyone, made note that Bam was on switches on the perimeter so he wasn't directly affected by all those makes or misses.

I already explained why schematically he had the advantage to at the end of the shot clock on the 2 - 3 zone which gave him the better numbers, or gave him an advantage to make them look better. Look at Caleb Martins numbers who sat at the other corner opposite from him in regards to how the zone affected the defensive FG% against

Still have to defend him on the roll, and box him out no? and or contest at the rim no? ok got it.

Again, your talking about the series, were talking about this game. Also Tatum and Brown had the worst shooting percentages across the board regardless of who was covering them, not to count the amount of Turn overs they committed these series.

I get it, you want to look at raw stats without correlating it to actual game footage. I am not a Bam hater, I give him his props, this was not the game, everyone gets props as a team on this one. He has had great games throughout the playoffs, you seem to think I am his biggest critic, I just call him out accordingly.

You just said a whole lot of nothing to be honest.

I don’t think you’re a Bam hater at all so definitely not near his biggest but you’ve been on a little tangent here lately.

Bam missed an easy layup and you all are acting like he had 0 impact on the game :lol:
#FreeBam
3ammy3uck3ts
RealGM

Post#2289 » by 3ammy3uck3ts » Thu Jun 1, 2023 5:55 pm

greg4012 wrote:There's a contingency of Heat fans that swear Bam can be replaced by any above average defensive big man and Miami would barely miss a beat. I think that's utter lunacy.

Read on Twitter

It’s BAD. Appreciate this guy while you can, he wants to be a lifer and he’s going to worst case finish as the 4th best Heat player ever if he is.
#FreeBam
Grumpy Heat Fan
General Manager
And1: 8,335

Post#2290 » by Grumpy Heat Fan » Thu Jun 1, 2023 6:40 pm

greg4012 wrote:There's a contingency of Heat fans that swear Bam can be replaced by any above average defensive big man and Miami would barely miss a beat. I think that's utter lunacy.

yeah thats crazy talk. Bam might not be great offensively, but he is the glue and anchor for this team.
"As for me personally, I don't truly care how much I make these days, my main focus is on playing for a winner." - Dirk Nowitzki, July 2016

Return to Miami Heat