ImageImageImage

Miami Heat Offseason Thread 5.0: Snooze Season

Moderators: KingDavid, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, MettaWorldPanda, heat4life

_GH0ST_
Junior
And1: 493

Re: Miami Heat Offseason Thread 5.0: Snooze Season 

Post#1921 » by _GH0ST_ » Sat Jul 1, 2023 2:09 pm

Hallstar wrote:
_GH0ST_ wrote:
Kobewade11 wrote:Huh?? Herro is not a salary dump, Turner is not the caliber player you trade Herro for. Thats a Duncan and pick type move.

Turner has much more value than Herro. I marvel at the way some of you view Herro.

in which league?, realgm invitational? because it's not the NBA

I think most places except Realgm Heat thread. If someone wants to talk about this without talking bullsht, I'm ready.
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 145,411

Post#1922 » by MettaWorldPanda » Sat Jul 1, 2023 2:10 pm

Christian Wood for the min would be such a great get
Beenie
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,449

Post#1923 » by Beenie » Sat Jul 1, 2023 2:11 pm

RexBoyWonder wrote:I think most of us, Myself included, are partly guilty of underrating Herro.

Go and compare his stats to Desmonds Ban's stats at age 23YO. You'll be suprised.

Tyler need to focus on 2 main things :

1) Improving on defense. That's a must, he's got to get as close to average as a defender to bring really good value on his deal. I don't think that's an unrealistic target. Not good, just average on D.

2) He need to get to the line more. Not a ton more, but a ciuple of time more per game. He's a great shooter, if he ups his FT rate his overall efficiency will really improve.

He's 23.5 YO. Bane is 25 YO.

If herro can improve in a similar way to the way Bane improved this last year - you'd love having him here.

Take a look here :

https://stathead.com/basketball/versus-finder.cgi?request=1&seasons_type=perchoice&player_id1=herroty01&p1yrfrom=2023&p1yrto=2023&player_id2=banede01&p2yrfrom=2022&p2yrto=2022

Herro improving his handling and decision making needs to be an area of emphasis considering how much he's used on the ball.

Too often he overdribbles without a purpose.

He also can be baited into traps too easily.

And when challenged by skilled on ball defenders, he has trouble safely advancing the ball.

Personally, I much prefer him off the ball if he's gonna be a starter.
greg4012
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,920

Post#1924 » by greg4012 » Sat Jul 1, 2023 2:11 pm

RexBoyWonder wrote:Getting Rich back for the min is obviously a very good move, but he's not a PG.

Lowry is cooked, we can't start the season with him as the starting PG.

Must have at least 1 more minor move to address that.

If we’re being really real, Gabe wasn’t really a PG either
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 29,128

Post#1925 » by AirP. » Sat Jul 1, 2023 2:11 pm

dean456 wrote:
Pharenheit wrote:Jaxson Hayes to the Lakers on a 2 year player option

Guess this means Bamba on the market too then?

Also the Lakers always seem to pick up phucking everyone. Every time they put a team together I'm scratching my head as to how they afford all these guys but they just get them all for pennies. They bring in all these guys then they just end up riding the bench.

Being a Laker gets you more notice and more stories written about you by the national media. Miami, although a great place to live is now showing with the right stars with Spoelstra they can have great success in the playoffs and with that, lesser talented players can possibly get a role that is amplified vs what they'd get for their skill level and possibly make a lot more money then they ever expected to make in the NBA.

This 4 year run with Butler should reap benefits for the franchise for the next decade. With Wade, LeBron and Bosh you were expected to win even with a 5 year old coaching because of the top end talent, this run isn't viewed that way at all and one more long run in the playoffs in the next couple of years should make it no longer viewed as a fluke by national media.
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#1926 » by MettaWorldPanda » Sat Jul 1, 2023 2:12 pm

Rapaz wrote:I’m back from a 12-hour compulsory hiatus. A well-intentioned moderator must have thought I was actually trying to troll y’all.

:rofl:

What the heck really?
contract
RealGM
And1: 20,995

Post#1927 » by contract » Sat Jul 1, 2023 2:13 pm

jaseda510 wrote:
dean456 wrote:
Pharenheit wrote:Jaxson Hayes to the Lakers on a 2 year player option

Guess this means Bamba on the market too then?

Also the Lakers always seem to pick up phucking everyone. Every time they put a team together I'm scratching my head as to how they afford all these guys but they just get them all for pennies. They bring in all these guys then they just end up riding the bench.

It helps when they have a sports agency that works on behalf of the Lakers star instead of the best financial interest of its clients

I was going to say the same thing. On the plus side almost all the players they funnel to the Lakers suck.
:meditate: Team Small Ball :meditate:
contract
RealGM

Post#1928 » by contract » Sat Jul 1, 2023 2:15 pm

Rapaz wrote:I’m back from a 12-hour compulsory hiatus. A well-intentioned moderator must have thought I was actually trying to troll y’all.

The Heat mods need to set you up with a Real ID so you can tomfool freely and access federal buildings and such.
greg4012
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,920

Post#1929 » by greg4012 » Sat Jul 1, 2023 2:15 pm

contract wrote:
In truth, though, neither of these developments should have surprised Jimmy Butler and the Heat. Vincent and Strus both had breakout years last season which prompted a lot of interest in NBA free agency.

https://clutchpoints.com/heat-news-jimmy-butler-reacts-to-gabe-vincent-max-strus-exits

I'm amazed at how narratives drive people's perceptions. These guys had breakout years?

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/MIA/2023.html

Show me. Find anything on there that even hints at any kind of breakout for either player.

If a lie gets repeated enough, people will just accept it without question.

Personally, I find actions/efforts to try to degrade the outgoing guys who absolutely gave their all and helped us win to be cringe af
Kobewade11
General Manager
And1: 15,881

Post#1930 » by Kobewade11 » Sat Jul 1, 2023 2:16 pm

I thought Dillon Brooks was looking at a nice payday. Who still has money?
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#1931 » by MettaWorldPanda » Sat Jul 1, 2023 2:17 pm

contract wrote:

The Heat mods need to set you up with a Real ID so you can tomfool freely and access federal buildings and such.

I saw who got him. Well above my pay grade lol
Vertical Limit
RealGM
And1: 5,395

Post#1932 » by Vertical Limit » Sat Jul 1, 2023 2:18 pm

I honestly thought before the offseason began that we could stack dipo and lowry expiring with picks to improve the talent level of the team. Right now, we would have to stack lowry and an existing long term contract to try to get a star.. seems like that makes it more difficult
HeatIn5
General Manager
And1: 18,361

Post#1933 » by HeatIn5 » Sat Jul 1, 2023 2:19 pm

You have been my favorite part of the offseason so far
Read on Twitter
SoFlaKingReal
Veteran
And1: 4,978

Post#1934 » by SoFlaKingReal » Sat Jul 1, 2023 2:20 pm

I think we will have a better chance to move Lowry for value at the trade deadline. See Lakers and Westbrook.

Not sure how the new CBA changes things tho.
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#1935 » by MettaWorldPanda » Sat Jul 1, 2023 2:22 pm

Vertical Limit wrote:I honestly thought before the offseason began that we could stack dipo and lowry expiring with picks to improve the talent level of the team. Right now, we would have to stack lowry and an existing long term contract to try to get a star.. seems like that makes it more difficult

Yup now your asking Portland to deal with Duncan’s contract and beg a third team to take on Herro but never thought Lowry and Dipo was going to work in the first place either
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 29,128

Post#1936 » by AirP. » Sat Jul 1, 2023 2:22 pm

RexBoyWonder wrote:I think most of us, Myself included, are partly guilty of underrating Herro.

Go and compare his stats to Desmonds Ban's stats at age 23YO. You'll be suprised.

Tyler need to focus on 2 main things :

1) Improving on defense. That's a must, he's got to get as close to average as a defender to bring really good value on his deal. I don't think that's an unrealistic target. Not good, just average on D.

2) He need to get to the line more. Not a ton more, but a ciuple of time more per game. He's a great shooter, if he ups his FT rate his overall efficiency will really improve.

He's 23.5 YO. Bane is 25 YO.

If herro can improve in a similar way to the way Bane improved this last year - you'd love having him here.

Take a look here :

https://stathead.com/basketball/versus-finder.cgi?request=1&seasons_type=perchoice&player_id1=herroty01&p1yrfrom=2023&p1yrto=2023&player_id2=banede01&p2yrfrom=2022&p2yrto=2022

Age isn't a 1:1 ratio to getting better. It's better to look at years in the NBA because that usually includes being given a bigger role (rebuilding teams will give out bigger roles to players in hopes of development) based on how many years you're in the NBA AND you have access to better ways of improving your game, especially with the money.

Wiggins averaged nearly 24 ppg at age 21, the teams he was on after that had more offensive talent and with that, his scoring dropped, now he's in his prime and on a good team he's a defensive player who can get you 20 a night from time to time.

Don't get stuck on the age thing, it is important but being in the NBA environment is way more important.

If Herro weren't on an offensive deprived team he wouldn't get nearly as many shots as he gets now and with that, a mid teens scorer that doesn't play defense.
RexBoyWonder
RealGM
And1: 33,590

Post#1937 » by RexBoyWonder » Sat Jul 1, 2023 2:22 pm

Who's the best player we can get for out tax paying MLE?

5 Mil$ might get a good player here, with a second year a player option
Chalm Downs wrote:his nickname is boywonder ffs
El Alonzo scowl
Veteran
And1: 5,449

Post#1938 » by El Alonzo scowl » Sat Jul 1, 2023 2:23 pm

When method acting goes wrong
contract
RealGM

Post#1939 » by contract » Sat Jul 1, 2023 2:23 pm

greg4012 wrote:
contract wrote:
In truth, though, neither of these developments should have surprised Jimmy Butler and the Heat. Vincent and Strus both had breakout years last season which prompted a lot of interest in NBA free agency.

https://clutchpoints.com/heat-news-jimmy-butler-reacts-to-gabe-vincent-max-strus-exits

I'm amazed at how narratives drive people's perceptions. These guys had breakout years?

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/MIA/2023.html

Show me. Find anything on there that even hints at any kind of breakout for either player.

If a lie gets repeated enough, people will just accept it without question.

Personally, I find actions/efforts to try to degrade the outgoing guys who absolutely gave their all and helped us win to be cringe af

You're the 2nd poster to say that and OK ... but I don't get it. I rip guys on OUR team. I'm certainly not holding my fire on opposing players which is what they are now. I don't feel like I owe players gratitude for doing the job they are paid to do. Often times not very well. But mostly I don't get objecting to calling bull on claims of great performance by simply pointing at the data and saying "show me".

Neither guy is good. Neither played well consistently. Their overall body of work makes clear that nothing of value was lost. I'm sorry if that upsets people, but I'm not getting gaslit into believing that up is down and down is up, and I'm not going to get pressured into remaining silent so that others can get gaslit without pushback.
SoFlaKingReal
Veteran
And1: 4,978

Post#1940 » by SoFlaKingReal » Sat Jul 1, 2023 2:23 pm

RexBoyWonder wrote:Who's the best player we can get for out tax paying MLE?

5 Mil$ might get a good player here, with a second year a player option

Unlikely we use the Tax MLE because it hard caps us at the 2nd apron.

Return to Miami Heat