ImageImageImage

Wade: I don't want to be known as a great athlete.

Moderators: KingDavid, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, MettaWorldPanda, heat4life

DBurks2818
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,035

Wade: I don't want to be known as a great athlete. 

Post#1 » by DBurks2818 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 10:30 am

Wade knows from reality. He's seen the bottom, up close, so he knows what is really at stake, how lucky he is. And like everyone who claws his way out, he wants to put as much distance as he can between the starting and the finish lines.

"My future?" he says. "It looks different than this. I'm gonna try acting. I'm going after Denzel. He's a 10, I'm a .5 -- but that's where I'm headed." King Kong ain't got nothin' on D-Wade. "No one can expect more out of me than I expect out of myself," he says.

When asked if he'll ever be content, he is quiet. "You know what I want?" he says, finally. "I want people to look at me and see a good person. I don't want to be known as a great athlete. I want to be known as a great human being."

Excerpt from a great ESPN article on the life of D-Wade. Nice to see something positive in these nightmarish times.
CoolD
Lead Assistant
And1: 971

Post#2 » by CoolD » Tue Jan 8, 2008 10:41 am

Actually I would rather him have Jordan mentality that is all about being the best, than the nicest guy, but hey that is just me.
HEATVols865
General Manager
And1: 6,694

Post#3 » by HEATVols865 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 1:47 pm

When Peyton Manning got his jersey retired at UT, he said that he didn't want to be remembered as Peyton Manning the QB, he wanted to be remembered as Peyton Manning, a nice guy that happened to play football...

That by no means mean that Wade or Peyton don't want to be the best.
#HEATLifer #VFL

You're welcome LeBron.

Tyler Herro is a TURD.
Bam is NOT elite but is getting better.
Fire Spoelstra!
Josh Heupel is coming for you.

I’m a proud admirer and lover of BBWs!

Formerly known as Brazilian, QueenOfFairies and HEATlanta.
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 403

Post#4 » by Flash3 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 1:53 pm

CoolD wrote:Actually I would rather him have Jordan mentality that is all about being the best, than the nicest guy, but hey that is just me.
Where'd you pull that he doesn't want to be considered one of the best?

Haven't you been following him from day 1 where he's ALWAYS been out to prove everyone WRONG? He's always had it in him to continually put his doubters to rest, continually.

This quote by Wade alone should say it all:

When people say you shouldn't, show them why you should. When people say you couldn't, show them why you can. When people say you won't, show them why you will.
Mars wrote:You can't stop the asterisk... you can only hope to contain it.
unowen85
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,858

Post#5 » by unowen85 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 4:13 pm

They should replace that no talent bum Brandon Routh with Dwyane Wade as the new Superman.
For a long time it gave me nightmares,witnessing an injustice like that.It’s a constant reminder of just how unfair this world can be.I can still hear them taunting him, Silly Rabbit tricks are for kids.I mean why couldn’t they just give him some cereal?
Number34
Analyst
And1: 1

Post#6 » by Number34 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 4:31 pm

Him and shaq should pair up for a movie or two. Kazzam part 2 anyone?
LEIF
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 921
Location: Charleston, SC. Born and raised in The City of North Miami.

Post#7 » by LEIF » Tue Jan 8, 2008 4:47 pm

I enjoyed that article in ESPN The Magazine, great read.

One thing that caught my attention was the comments back and forth between Pat Riley and Dwyane Wade.

Riley says "I tell him he needs to learn to leave a little on the table. He can't gobble up all of life right now -- all the endorsements, all the businesses. You have to be true to who you are, as a person and as a player. I tell him, your greatest refuge is the court, it's what got you here. Sometimes young players get away from themselves with all the stuff that comes at them."

Wade respectfully disagrees: " From Coach's perspective, yeah, it looks like I have alot going on. From my perspective, I want more. It's my life. I know what I can take on."

Follow me on Twitter @Lefty_Leif
DarkoMilicic
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#8 » by DarkoMilicic » Tue Jan 8, 2008 9:38 pm

unowen85 wrote:They should replace that no talent bum Brandon Routh with Dwyane Wade as the new Superman.

LMAO, I hope you are kidding about that. Brandon is a fantastic actor and I doubt Wade has a 1/10th of his acting ability (which still makes him better than 25% of the actors on TV today). If you mean to say Superman Returns sucks, then yeah, you are right. The idealistic view of cheating, lying, and making Superman be Jesus 2.0 doesn't cut it.

Give me Superman vs. Darkseid: The Movie

As for the news regarding D-WADE, Heat fans need to stop being down. You have a top player in the League, still, and I am sure he will battle through the injury, continuosly protect shoulder, and be all right in a couple years.
We Grizzlies fans have "fans" who want to rid the team, and start over. Just be PATIENT.
ifrosty13
Head Coach
And1: 1,362

Post#9 » by ifrosty13 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 10:31 pm

How can he be known as a nice human being when he's an ass to everyone that goes up to him
D-Wade
Banned User

Post#10 » by D-Wade » Tue Jan 8, 2008 11:02 pm

ifrosty13 wrote:How can he be known as a nice human being when he's an ass to everyone that goes up to him

Wtf? Must have been in a bad mood, or he flat out thought you looked weird.
(Joking)

Dwyane Wade went out of his way to sign my jersey for me when he was in a Christmas caliber rush one time. I've actually seen & confronted him a few times, and he's a class act to the fans from what I've seen.

:crazy:

Nobody is nicer than Dorell who I actually had a conversation with before though. I think Dorell was just happy to be noticed!
DBurks2818
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,035

Post#11 » by DBurks2818 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 11:29 pm

Yeah he must've been talking about Peyton Manning.
dflash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 157

Post#12 » by dflash3 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 11:31 pm

DBurks2818 wrote:Yeah he must've been talking about Peyton Manning.

I thought he was talking about Michael Jordan, since CoolD talked about Jordan in his post.
technologic
Pro Prospect

Post#13 » by technologic » Tue Jan 8, 2008 11:31 pm

End of contract: "Wade retires to pursue acting career"
travis minor
Veteran
And1: 1

Post#14 » by travis minor » Wed Jan 9, 2008 1:50 am

you guys are sub conciously looking for something to blame, either lack of hard work, or being too nice or any little thing. the team isn't talented enough, just to let you guys know.

btw im a proffesional mind reader
Lane1974
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25

Post#15 » by Lane1974 » Wed Jan 9, 2008 2:13 am

not a professional speller, sadly
OJmayoMVP
Ballboy

Post#16 » by OJmayoMVP » Wed Jan 9, 2008 4:38 am

I was a fan of Wade before I read this article :nod: