ImageImageImage

Is anyone else afraid of Riley trading our lottery pick?

Moderators: KingDavid, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, MettaWorldPanda, heat4life

salqaddoumi
Lead Assistant
And1: 7

Is anyone else afraid of Riley trading our lottery pick? 

Post#1 » by salqaddoumi » Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:34 am

You guys know how obsessed Riley is with winning NOW and i'm really starting to get afraid that he'll trade our very nice lottery pick in which we can finally get some quality young talent on this team for a veteran player that can only help for the next few years.

I'm sick of short term solutions though, we need to being the rebuilding process right now or else Wade is gone in 2010.
DBurks2818
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,035

Post#2 » by DBurks2818 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:46 am

Well it can't be traded until the draft because Minny has conditional rights.

But if the pick is in a spot where Rose/Beasley/Mayo/Jordan/etc. are gone, why not trade the pick for a star like the Celtics did?
salqaddoumi
Lead Assistant

Post#3 » by salqaddoumi » Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:52 am

1) It's unlikely that it's after all those guys are gone.

2) You wont get a star for a pick that you trade when the top tier of quality has already been taken.
dflash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 157

Post#4 » by dflash3 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:53 am

I don't see Riley trading the pick away if the Heat get a top 5 pick. I doubt he would trade the pick for a veteran player unless it was for a player of at least Brand's caliber.
DBurks2818
Assistant Coach

Post#5 » by DBurks2818 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:57 am

salqaddoumi wrote:1) It's unlikely that it's after all those guys are gone.

It's possible to drop up to 3 spots in the lottery, and you don't know who will and won't declare for the draft this year for one reason or another (as likely as it is for all of these guys to declare, one injury changes everything).

2) You wont get a star for a pick that you trade when the top tier of quality has already been taken.

And yet that's exactly what happened in the 2007 draft, interesting.
salqaddoumi
Lead Assistant

Post#6 » by salqaddoumi » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:38 am

What? Jeff Green was always considered to be a top tier prospect. And even if he wasn't, just because something works for a team one year and in one specific situation .. that doesn't mean it's going to happen again.
DBurks2818
Assistant Coach

Post#7 » by DBurks2818 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:57 am

salqaddoumi wrote:What? Jeff Green was always considered to be a top tier prospect. And even if he wasn't, just because something works for a team one year and in one specific situation .. that doesn't mean it's going to happen again.

:roll: :lol:

Ignoring the fact that Green was not one of the 5 best prospects in this draft, even at the time... Lottery picks are traded for stars (or very good role-players) all the time.

2007- Allen (All-star) for Green (projected around #10, went #5)
2006- Battier (Top 5 role-player in the league) for Gay (#8 I think)
2004- Antawn Jamison (All-star calibur 20-10 player coming off down year) for Devin Harris (#5)
2002- McDyess (All-star) for NeNe (#5)
2001- Brand (All-star potential, 20-10 numbers in his second year) for Chandler (#2)

I can go on...
CableKC
RealGM
And1: 10,720

Post#8 » by CableKC » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:34 am

Did the Heat trade the 2008 draft pick to the TWolves?

or

Was it the 2009 future 1st round draft pick?
- In 2024, you are not voting for a "Democrat" or "Republican". You are voting for the Party that will defend Democracy and protect the most vulnerable among us.

#THE_GOP_IS_DEAD
#IT_IS_THE_PARTY_OF_TRUMP_NOW
IndoorOutdoor
Pro Prospect
And1: 13

Post#9 » by IndoorOutdoor » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:49 am

If Shaq comes back then yes.. if not then the Heat will stick with the youth movement and go with their lottery pick to go with their young core + Spolestra
HeatFanSince87
Assistant Coach
And1: 758

Post#10 » by HeatFanSince87 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:12 am

Also, I believe the 8th pick this season was traded for Jason Richerdson, and established player, close to being an all-star and only 25
DBurks2818
Assistant Coach

Post#11 » by DBurks2818 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:29 am

HeatFanSince87 wrote:Also, I believe the 8th pick this season was traded for Jason Richerdson, and established player, close to being an all-star and only 25

Forgot about him, thanks :P
salqaddoumi
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by salqaddoumi » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:39 am

DBurks2818 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

:roll: :lol:

Ignoring the fact that Green was not one of the 5 best prospects in this draft, even at the time... Lottery picks are traded for stars (or very good role-players) all the time.

2007- Allen (All-star) for Green (projected around #10, went #5)
2006- Battier (Top 5 role-player in the league) for Gay (#8 I think)
2004- Antawn Jamison (All-star calibur 20-10 player coming off down year) for Devin Harris (#5)
2002- McDyess (All-star) for NeNe (#5)
2001- Brand (All-star potential, 20-10 numbers in his second year) for Chandler (#2)

I can go on...

Haha, hindsight is great isn't it? Just because Green has looked pretty average so far doesn't mean he wasn't a top prospect back then. I don't know if you're just forgetting or are only looking at this through hindsight but he was talked about as a lock for the top 6 or 7. One reference I could find with the last update prior to the draft: http://insider.espn.go.com/nbadraft/dra ... ear%3d2007

Anyway, the point is that it doesn't matter what kind of random trades were made in the past .. that doesn't mean that the perfect scenario could come up this summer. You're also acting in those examples like the draft pick was the only piece, for example .. the Jamison trade was Harris (pick) + Laettner + Stackhouse for him.
DBurks2818
Assistant Coach

Post#13 » by DBurks2818 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:51 am

salqaddoumi wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Haha, hindsight is great isn't it? Just because Green has looked pretty average so far doesn't mean he wasn't a top prospect back then. I don't know if you're just forgetting or are only looking at this through hindsight but he was talked about as a lock for the top 6 or 7. One reference I could find with the last update prior to the draft: http://insider.espn.go.com/nbadraft/dra ... ear%3d2007

Anyway, the point is that it doesn't matter what kind of random trades were made in the past .. that doesn't mean that the perfect scenario could come up this summer. You're also acting in those examples like the draft pick was the only piece, for example .. the Jamison trade was Harris (pick) + Laettner + Stackhouse for him.

I really never heard of Green ever being close to the 5th best prospect in the draft, but I guess we'll never really know since obviously amateur mocks are different from NBA GM/scout mocks.

My point is that yes, there is always a scenario where a pick would be available for a very good player. That's why I listed so many examples! It always happens! There will be a very good player available for a lottery pick+Haslem+Wright/Smush. I can guarantee you that right now.

I don't really see how someone could think differently, especially with all the stories we've heard this year about disgruntled players, whether because they're tired of losing/don't fit (Gasol, maybe Randolph), because they're nervous about getting the right money in a new contract (Deng, Gordon, Iguodala, Okafor, etc.)... The list goes on, man.

With so many owners trying to cut costs, why not take a flyer on someone who you think can really fit your team in exchange for someone who's going to be wanting more money than you're willing to spend on them (Gordon, maybe Ellis and Deng), or who you don't plan on extending a near max contract to anyway (maybe Smith? I have no idea, that's not the point though). Think about it.
CoolD
Lead Assistant
And1: 971

Post#14 » by CoolD » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:46 am

Yeah I agree with the guy that started this thread. Riley has become to shortsighted with instant patches, and realistically speaking, as long as we have Shaq eating 20 million, getting older while doing it, the Heat should keep building, for one, the Heat really have no shot while Shaq eats up the Cap, and trying to patch a quick fix will do the same thing we did, when getting Shaq, giving us the smallest of window(but difference is, that Shaq is already to old, this team has no depth, that even with a quick patch up job, we still have no shot) We might as well start builiding with some youth, add a veteran here and there, but not go overboard, and lets hope Shaq calls it quits or something.
D-Wade
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#15 » by D-Wade » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:14 pm

Wow, Jeff Green was not a "top" prospect in last year's draft. There are many people who felt like he could slip as far as 10-14. If it gets to the point where Beasley, Rose, Gordon, & Jordan are gone, then I guarantee that scouts would view Donte Green, Jerryd Bayless, O.J. Mayo, and probably a few more as a better overall prospect than Jeff Green.

There wasn't a scout in the world who labeled Jeff Green as more than a Boris Diaw.
M_nus
Rookie

Post#16 » by M_nus » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:36 pm

CableKC wrote:Did the Heat trade the 2008 draft pick to the TWolves?

or

Was it the 2009 future 1st round draft pick?

We traded our first round pick for each draft, with different protections, until they finally get it. This year it's lottery protected. Next year, top 10 protected...and the year after that, top 6 protected. After that (God forbid we're still that bad), they get the pick no matter what.
Hoops23
General Manager
And1: 1,269

Post#17 » by Hoops23 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:45 pm

Are you guys going to trade Parker, Blount and the pick (assuming a top 4 pick) for Gasol during draft day?
M_nus
Rookie

Post#18 » by M_nus » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:49 pm

Hoops23 wrote:Are you guys going to trade Parker, Blount and the pick (assuming a top 4 pick) for Gasol during draft day?

I'm sure Memphis has gotten much, much better deals for him than that.
HeatFanSince87
Assistant Coach

Post#19 » by HeatFanSince87 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:19 pm

My point is that yes, there is always a scenario where a pick would be available for a very good player. That's why I listed so many examples! It always happens! There will be a very good player available for a lottery pick+Haslem+Wright/Smush. I can guarantee you that right now.

I don't really see how someone could think differently, especially with all the stories we've heard this year about disgruntled players, whether because they're tired of losing/don't fit (Gasol, maybe Randolph), because they're nervous about getting the right money in a new contract (Deng, Gordon, Iguodala, Okafor, etc.)... The list goes on, man.

Dude...I agree 100%. This season will be a blessing in the long run for us. Wade isnt really back to his old self, by next season he will be. ZI am a realist, we were not making a deep run this year anyway...so we trade this season for a top pick. Now that top pick will open doors for us either through the draft or players in the league. We all know even more players will be available after the playoffs, thats when players pissed with their team or teams who have disspointing playoff runs are on the block. I am sorry, a package of a top 5 pick, Haslem etc would net us a stud and a great running mate for Wade. Or we keep it if we get a lock pick top 1 or 2...

Whatever happens, we're going to be back much faster then peple think
HeatFanSince87
Assistant Coach

Post#20 » by HeatFanSince87 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:34 pm

I do not get where this Riley BS is coming from. HE HAS NEVER TRADED A TOP PICK FOR BS! Yes, during some seasons when the pick would be no better then 25th, he would make moves. One pick was included in the Mash deal I remember, and 2 others were busts(tim james and chrales smith) I do not ever recall Riley giving up a good pick for some washed up Vet.

The only top picks he ever had here was 10th in 2002 and 5th in 2003, and we took Caron and Wade, so what are you guys talking about?

Riley always is strategic, think back in 2001 when he let Timmy, Marjle, Mason and Bowen all walk for NOTHING becacause as he said he would not compromise the future of this team for a shorsighted, weak playoff run. And he got ripped in the media for getting nothign for these guys, however thoses idiots then dont say anything when 2 years later we use that cap space to sign Lamar Odom. Now had Riley been selfish he woulda gave those guys deals, maybe we get an 8th seed, and those guys have deals going wthough 2004 or 2005 here.

Yes, blount as a crappy deal, but it ends the same year has Shaqs. Riley always looks into that before making deals, he makes sure deals end around the same time.

What makes people think Riley would give this pick away for some washed up dude? Everything he has done has pointed to 2010

Wade can opt out, Shaq's and Blounts deal is up.

We resign Wade to max, bring in 1-2 max players along with whoever we get from the this summer. People may laugh now, but below is a real possiblity man...

pg-Derrick Rose
sg-Wade
c-free agent?
pf-Haslem
sf-Labron

Labron and Wade are close and speak of playing together, if we can offer Bron the max, why wouldnt he consider it. Wade is great at sharing the spot light and Bron saves a ton in state taxes, and gets to live in south florida man...

Wade would be 28, Bron 26,Haslem 29, Rose 21..etc.Yes, seems so far away, but we're talking 2 summers away fellas...not that far.Seems just like yesterday we won the title and that was 2 years ago already.

Return to Miami Heat