ImageImage

Bucks News, Trade Ideas, Transactions - Portis Has MCL Sprain, Will Miss "some time"

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

User avatar
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 83,773
And1: 35,312
Joined: May 02, 2002
Location: The Craps Table
     

Re: Bucks News, Trade Ideas, Transactions - Portis Has MCL Sprain, Will Miss "some time" 

Post#1941 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:47 pm

nagawicka wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:Posted this on the Brewers board but also seems like this could have a substantially negative impact on the Bucks

https://cordcuttersnews.com/bally-sports-rsns-are-reportedly-preparing-for-bankruptcy/

Will this take down Sinclair News and will this take down Bally Sports?

This has been expected. Both MLB and NBA have been wanting to buy out Sinclair but haven't made a deal. Sinclair has deals with several teams but not all of them. This may expedite things.

The Bucks have 2 years left on the 7 year deal they signed in 2018.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
GHOSTofSIKMA
RealGM
Posts: 20,263
And1: 6,811
Joined: Jan 21, 2007
Location: NC
     

Re: Bucks News, Trade Ideas, Transactions - Shocking News, Serge to be Traded 

Post#1942 » by GHOSTofSIKMA » Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:47 pm

skones wrote:
GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
skones wrote:
We're 23rd in offense because we don't have any "ppgz" dudes. How that's lost on anyone at this point is baffling. Nobody is taking pressure off of Giannis and Jrue. A guy standing in the corner doesn't do that. We need versatility in shot creation.

These guys are 36 and 37 years old in the playoffs. They won't be playing heavy minutes, and then it becomes a case of diminishing returns.


were 23rd in offense because were 1st in games missed.

were also 23rd in offense because javon effing carter has been playing in front of hill

when weve been healthy with hill in the primary backup role weve had top 5 offenses. we need to get healthy.


If we're 23rd in offense because we're first in games missed, why are we 5th in DRTG while being first in games missed?

HINT: The most obvious answer is the correct answer.

This team is bad offensively and good defensively completely separate of missed games. And again, it's because this team is over-reliant on their core three and nobody else is able to actually put the ball on the deck and get themselves a good look. That's what "PPGZ" guys do. It's one thing to have a "PPGZ" guy as one of your core pieces, it's another to have them in a supporting role. Getting those guys in supporting roles HELP your team when the floor shrinks in the playoffs. We've only seen it happen over and over and over again since the 18-19 campaign.

AGAIN, George Hill will be 37 years old these playoffs, what he's capable of now is not equal to what he's been capable of in the past. It's time to acknowledge that instead of sweeping it under the rug. Same goes for Wes.


in the games we trot out there and appear to be tanking with who is active I would agree we would look way better with some ppgz guys because when your tanking ppgz guys help you compete.

but once everybody is healthy we could just cut them because then we wouldnt be tanking anymore. at that point we would need those kind of guys the hell gone to actually win.

is this what your getting at because if it is were in agreement!
GHOSTofSIKMA
RealGM
Posts: 20,263
And1: 6,811
Joined: Jan 21, 2007
Location: NC
     

Re: Bucks News, Trade Ideas, Transactions - Portis Has MCL Sprain, Will Miss "some time" 

Post#1943 » by GHOSTofSIKMA » Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:54 pm

taking guys who are the 3rd or 4th best players on teams that totally suck shouldnt be a recipe for anything we consider anymore.

george hill has made 23 of 74 from 3 for a .311 percentage this year

if hed made 28 of 74 hed be right at his career average.

if he has a hot week then there is nothing to see here. bottom line this spring in the playoffs if george hill or javon carter or marjon is shooting an open 3 against the boston celtics im taking george effing hill 100 out of 100 times with that shot. the fact he wont **** up 10 other little subtle things over the course of getting that shot is just a bonus for me
User avatar
GoldenAntlers
Head Coach
Posts: 6,731
And1: 2,841
Joined: Feb 13, 2013
 

Re: Bucks News, Trade Ideas, Transactions - Portis Has MCL Sprain, Will Miss "some time" 

Post#1944 » by GoldenAntlers » Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:00 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:
nagawicka wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:Posted this on the Brewers board but also seems like this could have a substantially negative impact on the Bucks

https://cordcuttersnews.com/bally-sports-rsns-are-reportedly-preparing-for-bankruptcy/

Will this take down Sinclair News and will this take down Bally Sports?

This has been expected. Both MLB and NBA have been wanting to buy out Sinclair but haven't made a deal. Sinclair has deals with several teams but not all of them. This may expedite things.

The Bucks have 2 years left on the 7 year deal they signed in 2018.
No Bally Sports = No Novak?
#FreeChuckDiesel
"Silence is a source of great strength." - Lao Tzu
User avatar
skones
RealGM
Posts: 35,326
And1: 15,341
Joined: Jul 20, 2004
Location: Milwaukee
       

Re: Bucks News, Trade Ideas, Transactions - Shocking News, Serge to be Traded 

Post#1945 » by skones » Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:05 pm

ackypoo wrote:
skones wrote:
GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:absolutely. hill too. too many ppgz dudes on the board these days


We're 23rd in offense because we don't have any "ppgz" dudes. How that's lost on anyone at this point is baffling. Nobody is taking pressure off of Giannis and Jrue. A guy standing in the corner doesn't do that. We need versatility in shot creation.

These guys are 36 and 37 years old in the playoffs. They won't be playing heavy minutes, and then it becomes a case of diminishing returns.

there are a lot of ways to generate points that dont involve just putting up bad shots.


That literally starts with someone putting the ball on the deck, putting pressure on the defense, and forcing them to double and or rotate. That's how open shots in this league happen. You don't just swing the ball around the perimeter like you're running the swing with a 24 second shot clock and expect it to happen. We have zero players on our roster who aren't part of the big three that are capable of doing that from the perimeter. Your best option in that regard is Jevon Carter. That should tell you something.
DingleJerry
RealGM
Posts: 11,570
And1: 6,195
Joined: Jul 09, 2015
       

Re: Bucks News, Trade Ideas, Transactions - Portis Has MCL Sprain, Will Miss "some time" 

Post#1946 » by DingleJerry » Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:07 pm

The crazy part of that on here is that for some reason on this topic everyone except like 3-4 people put their collective blinders on for Jabari.
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
User avatar
skones
RealGM
Posts: 35,326
And1: 15,341
Joined: Jul 20, 2004
Location: Milwaukee
       

Re: Bucks News, Trade Ideas, Transactions - Shocking News, Serge to be Traded 

Post#1947 » by skones » Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:09 pm

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
in the games we trot out there and appear to be tanking with who is active I would agree we would look way better with some ppgz guys because when your tanking ppgz guys help you compete.

but once everybody is healthy we could just cut them because then we wouldnt be tanking anymore. at that point we would need those kind of guys the hell gone to actually win.

is this what your getting at because if it is were in agreement!


Did you watch the Boston series last year? At all? Someone to create in the half court is EXACTLY what the team needed, and we didn't have it. If the team suddenly has that, you think the player that would have helped shore up our single largest weakness in the Boston series would be cut? C'mon.

Hill and Wes are a year older, weren't enough last year, so why are we acting like they're the solution to anything? It doesn't make sense.
DingleJerry
RealGM
Posts: 11,570
And1: 6,195
Joined: Jul 09, 2015
       

Re: Bucks News, Trade Ideas, Transactions - Portis Has MCL Sprain, Will Miss "some time" 

Post#1948 » by DingleJerry » Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:12 pm

I'm really not even sure the guy you're talking about is really even available so its probably a futile conversation right now. Only one that fits the bill rumored out there is probably Clarkson and we won't be able to get him. But, that reminds me of how when Clarkson was getting traded around and was available he was collectively **** on here for being a chucker, but here he is a productive player for several years in the right role and wanted all over the league.
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
GHOSTofSIKMA
RealGM
Posts: 20,263
And1: 6,811
Joined: Jan 21, 2007
Location: NC
     

Re: Bucks News, Trade Ideas, Transactions - Shocking News, Serge to be Traded 

Post#1949 » by GHOSTofSIKMA » Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:18 pm

skones wrote:
GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
in the games we trot out there and appear to be tanking with who is active I would agree we would look way better with some ppgz guys because when your tanking ppgz guys help you compete.

but once everybody is healthy we could just cut them because then we wouldnt be tanking anymore. at that point we would need those kind of guys the hell gone to actually win.

is this what your getting at because if it is were in agreement!


Did you watch the Boston series last year? At all? Someone to create in the half court is EXACTLY what the team needed, and we didn't have it. If the team suddenly has that, you think the player that would have helped shore up our single largest weakness in the Boston series would be cut? C'mon.

Hill and Wes are a year older, weren't enough last year, so why are we acting like they're the solution to anything? It doesn't make sense.


we get middleton back and we picked up ingles. thats enough. thats more than we won a championship with. this team doesnt need to blow limited assets on some monta ellis guy to get up shots just in case our core dudes go down. i just disagree with the premise
DingleJerry
RealGM
Posts: 11,570
And1: 6,195
Joined: Jul 09, 2015
       

Re: Bucks News, Trade Ideas, Transactions - Shocking News, Serge to be Traded 

Post#1950 » by DingleJerry » Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:23 pm

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
skones wrote:
GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
in the games we trot out there and appear to be tanking with who is active I would agree we would look way better with some ppgz guys because when your tanking ppgz guys help you compete.

but once everybody is healthy we could just cut them because then we wouldnt be tanking anymore. at that point we would need those kind of guys the hell gone to actually win.

is this what your getting at because if it is were in agreement!


Did you watch the Boston series last year? At all? Someone to create in the half court is EXACTLY what the team needed, and we didn't have it. If the team suddenly has that, you think the player that would have helped shore up our single largest weakness in the Boston series would be cut? C'mon.

Hill and Wes are a year older, weren't enough last year, so why are we acting like they're the solution to anything? It doesn't make sense.


we get middleton back and we picked up ingles. thats enough. thats more than we won a championship with. this team doesnt need to blow limited assets on some monta ellis guy to get up shots just in case our core dudes go down. i just disagree with the premise


Yea I don't think there's a guy out there worth pining over other than Clarkson. Chasing this skill and overpaying for a worse version of that type of guy probably isn't the right move.

But in general, this team does need guys who can actually dribble and do stuff on offense besides standing in one spot watching Giannis and then are incapable of attacking a close out. It should be a priority going forward. And if they do get some kind of wing I hope the person has at least some dribble ability, IDK a Burks/Barton guy probably has at least some of it. And down the line in Jrue/KM trades it should be a priority to gain the lead handler/creator skill to push Giannis off ball. He should be being more off ball as it is now, but as he ages it will be needed even more
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
User avatar
skones
RealGM
Posts: 35,326
And1: 15,341
Joined: Jul 20, 2004
Location: Milwaukee
       

Re: Bucks News, Trade Ideas, Transactions - Portis Has MCL Sprain, Will Miss "some time" 

Post#1951 » by skones » Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:23 pm

DingleJerry wrote:I'm really not even sure the guy you're talking about is really even available so its probably a futile conversation right now. Only one that fits the bill rumored out there is probably Clarkson and we won't be able to get him. But, that reminds me of how when Clarkson was getting traded around and was available he was collectively **** on here for being a chucker, but here he is a productive player for several years in the right role and wanted all over the league.


I don't think that situation is unique to Clarkson. Hell, we have a big in a similar mold in Bobby. Because it took "the right" role for Clarkson to be viewed differently (while some just continue to blindly scoff at the notion), it would be unwise to think there aren't others out there that could accomplish the same. That's a market inefficiency.

The most obvious undervalued answer in this context is Alec Burks.
ShootingtheJ
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,278
And1: 3,021
Joined: Jun 20, 2010

Re: Bucks News, Trade Ideas, Transactions - Shocking News, Serge to be Traded 

Post#1952 » by ShootingtheJ » Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:23 pm

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
skones wrote:
GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
in the games we trot out there and appear to be tanking with who is active I would agree we would look way better with some ppgz guys because when your tanking ppgz guys help you compete.

but once everybody is healthy we could just cut them because then we wouldnt be tanking anymore. at that point we would need those kind of guys the hell gone to actually win.

is this what your getting at because if it is were in agreement!


Did you watch the Boston series last year? At all? Someone to create in the half court is EXACTLY what the team needed, and we didn't have it. If the team suddenly has that, you think the player that would have helped shore up our single largest weakness in the Boston series would be cut? C'mon.

Hill and Wes are a year older, weren't enough last year, so why are we acting like they're the solution to anything? It doesn't make sense.


we get middleton back and we picked up ingles. thats enough. thats more than we won a championship with. this team doesnt need to blow limited assets on some monta ellis guy to get up shots just in case our core dudes go down. i just disagree with the premise



Agree, I'm not sure a team could make 2 better additions to address our offensive issues than these 2. Now add a defender to that mix.
DingleJerry
RealGM
Posts: 11,570
And1: 6,195
Joined: Jul 09, 2015
       

Re: Bucks News, Trade Ideas, Transactions - Portis Has MCL Sprain, Will Miss "some time" 

Post#1953 » by DingleJerry » Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:26 pm

skones wrote:
DingleJerry wrote:I'm really not even sure the guy you're talking about is really even available so its probably a futile conversation right now. Only one that fits the bill rumored out there is probably Clarkson and we won't be able to get him. But, that reminds me of how when Clarkson was getting traded around and was available he was collectively **** on here for being a chucker, but here he is a productive player for several years in the right role and wanted all over the league.


I don't think that situation is unique to Clarkson. Hell, we have a big in a similar mold in Bobby. Because it took "the right" role for Clarkson to be viewed differently (while some just continue to blindly scoff at the notion), it would be unwise to think there aren't others out there that could accomplish the same. That's a market inefficiency.

The most obvious undervalued answer in this context is Alec Burks.


Yea I almost put a line in there along the lines of the idea should be kinda finding an underrated or improperly used type of guy with that skill. To find "the next Clarkson" so to speak while available for cheap. Not saying that has to be at this deadline or anything. but there's probably someone out there being miscast right now or who isn't good enough to 'the man' but has this skill and with the right attitude can find his niche.

ETA: I think I'd mentioned Sexton and Garland on Cle in years past when they were floundering as chuckers on crappy Cle teams. Then people realized they were kinda good. Now Sexton is paid too much. Guys like that though before others realize it
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
User avatar
skones
RealGM
Posts: 35,326
And1: 15,341
Joined: Jul 20, 2004
Location: Milwaukee
       

Re: Bucks News, Trade Ideas, Transactions - Portis Has MCL Sprain, Will Miss "some time" 

Post#1954 » by skones » Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:34 pm

DingleJerry wrote:
skones wrote:
DingleJerry wrote:I'm really not even sure the guy you're talking about is really even available so its probably a futile conversation right now. Only one that fits the bill rumored out there is probably Clarkson and we won't be able to get him. But, that reminds me of how when Clarkson was getting traded around and was available he was collectively **** on here for being a chucker, but here he is a productive player for several years in the right role and wanted all over the league.


I don't think that situation is unique to Clarkson. Hell, we have a big in a similar mold in Bobby. Because it took "the right" role for Clarkson to be viewed differently (while some just continue to blindly scoff at the notion), it would be unwise to think there aren't others out there that could accomplish the same. That's a market inefficiency.

The most obvious undervalued answer in this context is Alec Burks.


Yea I almost put a line in there along the lines of the idea should be kinda finding an underrated or improperly used type of guy with that skill. To find "the next Clarkson" so to speak while available for cheap. Not saying that has to be at this deadline or anything. but there's probably someone out there being miscast right now or who isn't good enough to 'the man' but has this skill and with the right attitude can find his niche.

ETA: I think I'd mentioned Sexton and Garland on Cle in years past when they were floundering as chuckers on crappy Cle teams. Then people realized they were kinda good. Now Sexton is paid too much. Guys like that though before others realize it


Chris Duarte.
DingleJerry
RealGM
Posts: 11,570
And1: 6,195
Joined: Jul 09, 2015
       

Re: Bucks News, Trade Ideas, Transactions - Portis Has MCL Sprain, Will Miss "some time" 

Post#1955 » by DingleJerry » Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:48 pm

skones wrote:
DingleJerry wrote:
skones wrote:
I don't think that situation is unique to Clarkson. Hell, we have a big in a similar mold in Bobby. Because it took "the right" role for Clarkson to be viewed differently (while some just continue to blindly scoff at the notion), it would be unwise to think there aren't others out there that could accomplish the same. That's a market inefficiency.

The most obvious undervalued answer in this context is Alec Burks.


Yea I almost put a line in there along the lines of the idea should be kinda finding an underrated or improperly used type of guy with that skill. To find "the next Clarkson" so to speak while available for cheap. Not saying that has to be at this deadline or anything. but there's probably someone out there being miscast right now or who isn't good enough to 'the man' but has this skill and with the right attitude can find his niche.

ETA: I think I'd mentioned Sexton and Garland on Cle in years past when they were floundering as chuckers on crappy Cle teams. Then people realized they were kinda good. Now Sexton is paid too much. Guys like that though before others realize it


Chris Duarte.


Probably too clearly good but who knows how they value him. I was scanning teams to see who popped in my head. Don't hold me to this as I'd have to actually watch some games to see. But take a guy like Coby White from Chi, generally viewed bad or as a flop right now. In his 4th year. Obviously he's not gonna be a star, lead guy, starter max guy etc. But the guy can shoot, is full size, has pg ball handling ability. IDK his attitude/ego and all that but if he's come to accept that he's not a star and comes with the right team attitude to play a role on a winning team he can probably find a nice niche and rack up 50 mil + over the next few years. But everyone is down on him now, can you get him for nothing and get him on the right track now or in the offseason where his cost to acquire is nil and contract is minimal?
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
GHOSTofSIKMA
RealGM
Posts: 20,263
And1: 6,811
Joined: Jan 21, 2007
Location: NC
     

Re: Bucks News, Trade Ideas, Transactions - Portis Has MCL Sprain, Will Miss "some time" 

Post#1956 » by GHOSTofSIKMA » Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:51 pm

The only addition we need is a forward that would excel defensively in a hard switching scheme. Anything around 35% from 3 on thus guy would be great. His role would be to play if Lopez or undersized gaurds was getting exposed.

What do we pay?

If you go for a guy like Jae then you pay around what we did for ibaka. They are roughly the same tier
User avatar
RiotPunch
RealGM
Posts: 22,401
And1: 11,059
Joined: Jul 05, 2009
Location: LA
     

Re: Bucks News, Trade Ideas, Transactions - Portis Has MCL Sprain, Will Miss "some time" 

Post#1957 » by RiotPunch » Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:52 pm

I have been playing around with the idea of Duarte for weeks. His outlook is murkier now with the emergence of Mathurin and Nembhard. Here's a deal connecting Toppin, Reddish, Allen rumor dots while getting Duarte to the Bucks ( probably wishful thinking without getting the '29 1st or Beachamp involved):

MKE gets: Duarte, Reddish
IND gets: Toppin, Nwora
NYK gets: Allen, Ibaka, CLE '23 1st, MKE '23 2nd, CLE '23 2nd, PDX '24 2nd, IND '25 2nd

Bucks gets longer and upgrade the starting unit.
Pacers upgrade the frontcourt.
Knicks stockpile picks and get two guys that can play.

Holiday / Carter / Hill
Duarte / Connaughton
Middleton / Reddish / Beauchamp
Giannis / Ingles
Lopez / Portis
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis

Return to Milwaukee Bucks