OT General Off Topic Thread - [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION]

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,072

Re: OT General Off Topic Thread - [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION] 

Post#361 » by ReasonablySober » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:47 am

MikeIsGood wrote:Meanwhile, at the US Open...

For those of you that don't know golf...you can't do that.

Two things,

Holy hell how did I just now realize the US Open was going on?

Obviously I haven't been following but Phil must have been so far back that he totally stopped giving a ****, right?
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,072

Post#362 » by ReasonablySober » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:53 am

Kenji's stuff usually turns out great, but I've always wanted to try his smashed burgers. Kinda like the skillet tortilla pizza, it looks so quick and awesome. It got RT'd into my feed this week again:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

I didn't have the expensive steel or non-stick grill pan he recommends. I'm happy to report the $30 Lodge grill/skillet combo thing works just perfect.

Two inexpensive things I think you wanna have: a kitchen scale and a wallpaper scraper dedicated to food. I used a bench scraper and burned my hand.

Either way, I made a burger that was shake your head good in a short amount of time. Super highly recommended.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,679

Post#363 » by MikeIsGood » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:33 am

ReasonablySober wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:Meanwhile, at the US Open...

For those of you that don't know golf...you can't do that.

Two things,

Holy hell how did I just now realize the US Open was going on?

Obviously I haven't been following but Phil must have been so far back that he totally stopped giving a ****, right?

Yes, certainly that’s part of it. A lot of the guys are also apparently extremely frustrated with how difficult the course is. Basically saying that it isn’t just hard, but that it’s basically so hard it’s dumb and parts are just not fair.

Phil’s response to being asked about this was something like ‘like hell I was going to keep playing in this tournament if I had to hit it from where it was about to go’ (insinuating he’d have quit).
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,052

Post#364 » by humanrefutation » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:20 am

I do find it funny that I've seen some really harsh takes about Phil doing that from the golf world. People acting like he committed some sort of atrocity and demanding he withdraw. He's clearly out of it - who gives a **** at this point? Penalize him and move on.
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,728

Post#365 » by AussieBuck » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:40 am

eh, he took his penalty. Sucks when a steep hole gets ruined by someone trying to make a course hard and turns a hole into a putt-putt farce.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
TroyD92
RealGM
And1: 10,738

Post#366 » by TroyD92 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:46 am

Golf purisists are so brutal for literally no reason. Especially when most of them suck and still can’t have fun.
VooDoo7 wrote:
JEIS wrote:

Kidd would have curb stomped him.

Maybe if his name was Denise instead of Dennis.

Fotis St wrote:Wherever you are David, I love you man.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,498

Post#367 » by MickeyDavis » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:49 am

Cardinal fans are the most "outraged"
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,327

Post#368 » by Mags FTW » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:15 pm

Last night I dreamt I had an Arc Reactor in my chest like Tony Stark/Iron Man. It ran on unleaded fuel, but I accidentally put diesel in it when I filled it up at the BP. My wife walked in the bathroom as I was doing a handstand on the toilet trying to empty out all of the diesel into the bowl before the reactor malfunctioned. :oops:

In other news, Happy Father’s Day to all the dads out there.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,052

Re: RE: Re: OT General Off Topic Thread - [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION] 

Post#369 » by humanrefutation » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:43 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:Kenji's stuff usually turns out great, but I've always wanted to try his smashed burgers. Kinda like the skillet tortilla pizza, it looks so quick and awesome. It got RT'd into my feed this week again:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

I didn't have the expensive steel or non-stick grill pan he recommends. I'm happy to report the $30 Lodge grill/skillet combo thing works just perfect.

Two inexpensive things I think you wanna have: a kitchen scale and a wallpaper scraper dedicated to food. I used a bench scraper and burned my hand.

Either way, I made a burger that was shake your head good in a short amount of time. Super highly recommended.

I made these a few weeks ago and they were the bomb. Definitely agree on using a griddle - the extra surface area makes things a lot easier.

I didn't use a trowel or a scraper - I try to avoid buying cooking instruments that have a single purpose - but I think they're easier and more effective to use than a spatula.

Did you use your griddle on a grill or on a stovetop? I have a lovely grill outside that I'd rather use, but my landlord added a leasing provision this year banning grilling on my balcony because it's a fire hazard (can't wait to buy a house). So, I tried making this indoors on my stovetop and the amount of smoke was immense and my place smelled like grease for a solid week even with the windows/fan on.
vital_signs
Analyst
And1: 2,239

Post#370 » by vital_signs » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:17 am

Celebrity Family Feud with the Inside the NBA crew further cements how great they are in my book.
Inadequate perception I reckon it's from the Valium
MissKhriddleton
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,115

Post#371 » by MissKhriddleton » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:31 am

Thinking of moving from Waukesha to Tosa. Is this is a good move? Commute would increase.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,957

Post#372 » by BUCKnation » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:41 am

humanrefutation wrote:I do find it funny that I've seen some really harsh takes about Phil doing that from the golf world. People acting like he committed some sort of atrocity and demanding he withdraw. He's clearly out of it - who gives a **** at this point? Penalize him and move on.

The 'How does this effect Phil's legacy?' takes are especially hilarious.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#373 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:57 am

MissKhriddleton wrote:Thinking of moving from Waukesha to Tosa. Is this is a good move? Commute would increase.

It's subjective of course. I'm not a Tosa fan. It certainly gets you closer to downtown events/restaurants etc... But Waukesha isn't that far out.
Ill-yasova
RealGM
And1: 2,552

Post#374 » by Ill-yasova » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:19 am

MickeyDavis wrote:
MissKhriddleton wrote:Thinking of moving from Waukesha to Tosa. Is this is a good move? Commute would increase.

It's subjective of course. I'm not a Tosa fan. It certainly gets you closer to downtown events/restaurants etc... But Waukesha isn't that far out.

I grew up on the Southside (15th & Oklahoma) before I moved in with my dad on 76th & Greenfield (Dirty Stallis, HOLLA!). My dad still lives in the same house and I was out there for Father’s Day today. We were going to Barnacle Bud’s for lunch (on a 93 degree day, which sucked) and we drove through West Milwaukee on the way. I could totally see that area becoming the next Bay View because it’s so close to downtown and they are starting to build a lot of amenities in that area.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,327

Post#375 » by Mags FTW » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:19 am

Depends on your lifestyle, and if you don’t mind the extra living costs.

Property taxes are roughly 1% higher in Milwaukee County. Wheel tax is $30 extra a year to register your car. Longer commute = more gas $.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#376 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:02 pm

For you poker players out there Doyle "Texas Dolly" Brunson has retired at 84. He made the final table at the $10,000 buy-in No-Limit 2-7 Lowball Championship at this years World Series of Poker, and finished sixth. He won 10 bracelets in WSOP events. His book Super System 2: Power Poker is pretty good.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,335

Post#377 » by crkone » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:11 pm

Decent community but with a LOT of apartments going up. 3 breweries going in on North Ave. this year with some already decent food options available there. The village is alright too. Everything is within walking distance if you live in East Tosa.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
MissKhriddleton
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,115

Post#378 » by MissKhriddleton » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:02 pm

crkone wrote:

Decent community but with a LOT of apartments going up. 3 breweries going in on North Ave. this year with some already decent food options available there. The village is alright too. Everything is within walking distance if you live in East Tosa.

I would be renting BTW, probably for another year or 2 before buying a house who knows where.

I just miss the city, miss being able to walk to bars/restaurants or the lake, miss being able to uber into downtown. I thought I was ready for the burbs, was getting sick of worrying about crime but that was mostly from reading about it rather than experiencing it first hand. In the burbs it feels like too much of a hassle to go anywhere to do something that I just end up doing nothing.

Would have trouble convincing GF to move all the way into the city so was thinking Tosa would be a good compromise.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,335

Post#379 » by crkone » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:09 pm

MissKhriddleton wrote:
crkone wrote:

I would be renting BTW, probably for another year or 2 before buying a house who knows where.

I just miss the city, miss being able to walk to bars/restaurants or the lake, miss being able to uber into downtown. I thought I was ready for the burbs, was getting sick of worrying about crime but that was mostly from reading about it rather than experiencing it first hand. In the burbs it feels like too much of a hassle to go anywhere to do something that I just end up doing nothing.

Would have trouble convincing GF to move all the way into the city so was thinking Tosa would be a good compromise.

You're always going to get more crime by moving closer to the city. In Tosa it usually happens to people who leave their car running with the keys in it while they are inside their house. West Tosa has more of a burb feel, especially on the boarder near Elm Grove.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,378

Post#380 » by M-C-G » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:22 pm

crkone wrote:
MissKhriddleton wrote:
crkone wrote:

You're always going to get more crime by moving closer to the city. In Tosa it usually happens to people who leave their car running with the keys in it while they are inside their house. West Tosa has more of a burb feel, especially on the boarder near Elm Grove.

So I lived in Waukesha, East Tosa and West Tosa. I did not enjoy Waukesha at all and my sister still lives out there and just comes across so many seriously weird and creepy people.

East Tosa was amazing, lived there for 10 years. Sadly, crime started getting much worse then just checking if your car was open. There is a pretty continuous string of day time robberies, where they just smash your back door open and I heard of multiple incidents all around where I live, they didn't ever care if people were home a number of times. Within three blocks of where we live, there was an armed robbery, armed car theft at the gas station we used every day, and one other violent crime, might have been a stabbing, this was in just one week. That plus all the break ins and petty theft was just enough for us, so we decided to sell.

Went to West Tosa and the vibe is very, very different. Still right next to everything, but just a very pleasant community we really enjoyed. I joked, from there you were 10 minutes from everything, out here where we live, you are 10 minutes from something.

If I were going back to Tosa, I'd try to find something off/near state street, that is probably the perfect mix of all things Tosa.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks