Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,820

Re: Around The League 

Post#101 » by Profound23 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:02 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:
GoldenAntlers wrote:
Profound23 wrote:It's funny, for years or even decades a lot of us have said how the NBA is biased against small markets and does what they can to keep the big markets like LA, Boston, Miami in the championship games. We were called conspiracy theorists. Yet, the NBA is upping the bar for allstar games so they will only be played in the few big market cities.
Think I missed something.
I heard Milwaukee put in to be considered for an All Star game. Did the NBA rebuttle by changing their standards? Or is this a reaction to the fact we will probably never meet current standards?

https://basketnews.com/news-202214-updated-requirements-to-host-nba-all-star-weekend-revealed.html

As Oklahoma City is trying to get the opportunity to host the event, the city was informed about the new requirements, Joe Mussatto from The Oklahoman notes:

7,250 hotel rooms and a minimum of three five-star hotels.
Convention center of 650,000 square feet (60,386 m²) of exhibition space.
75 nonstop domestic flights and at least 20 international flights.
Oklahoma's Will Rogers World Airport currently offers just 25 non-stop flights, two of which are seasonal, and there are no international flights. The city additionally lacks more than 2000 hotel rooms, and the newly-built convention center falls short of the mark.

While the Thunder are set to build a new arena for a minimum of $900 million, $850 million of which will be funded by taxpayers, it will probably not be enough to bring the All-Star Weekend to such a seemingly small market.

Absolute d-bag "bait and switch" move by the league office. Wait until small-market teams approve new arena spending, then shift the goal posts. Silver is a con artist.

Yep, how many teams can now host the allstar game?

I can't even think of 10. So in the playoffs when it is down to Milwaukee vs Miami/Boston/NY and we are complaining about the refs trying to keep small market teams out....things like this all but prove that they don't want big events in smaller markets and in order for the Bucks to beat those teams they have to beat the other teams and the referees.
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 12,115
Location: Pants-based solutions for today's highly charged environment

Post#102 » by chonestown » Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:00 pm

Matches Malone wrote:Silver is giving Manfred a run for his money at being the worst commissioner in sports. Don't let his looks or soft demeanor fool you, he's a snake. Making the NBA some glamourous elitist sport that only caters to celebs and the 1%. When your league is more enamored with off-the-court drama and not the product on the floor, you have failed.

Because of the all star game?

I thought everybody here hates the all star game and couldn't care less about it.
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 21,900

Post#103 » by Matches Malone » Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:44 pm

chonestown wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:Silver is giving Manfred a run for his money at being the worst commissioner in sports. Don't let his looks or soft demeanor fool you, he's a snake. Making the NBA some glamourous elitist sport that only caters to celebs and the 1%. When your league is more enamored with off-the-court drama and not the product on the floor, you have failed.

I thought everybody here hates the all star game and couldn't care less about it.

I think it goes well beyond just the all-star game. To how the product is marketed, how it's covered in the media, and the actions of the commissioner to harm small markets every step of the way. Just look at the new language in the CBA and how the penalties for being over the tax increase. I don't think that would have happened if there weren't small-market teams like Milwaukee having extended success and keeping their superstar no matter how badly the league wanted him in a bigger market.
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 12,115
Location: Pants-based solutions for today's highly charged environment

Post#104 » by chonestown » Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:01 pm

Matches Malone wrote:
chonestown wrote:

I think it goes well beyond just the all-star game. To how the product is marketed, how it's covered in the media, and the actions of the commissioner to harm small markets every step of the way. Just look at the new language in the CBA and how the penalties for being over the tax increase. I don't think that would have happened if there weren't small-market teams like Milwaukee having extended success and keeping their superstar no matter how badly the league wanted him in a bigger market.

I think the TV partnership with ABC/ESPN is bad, but much of that is Disney personnel decisions and scheduling, right?

I'll admit to going largely on vibes, but I don't think market size is the factor it used to be. Like Jalen Brunson isn't hawking Ruffles because he's the best player on a New York team. And how did the charisma-vortex that Jason Tatum is score all these high profile endorsement deals? Now, that's a puzzle.

I dunno, I think Silver's fine. There's no Seattle to OKC on his resume and potentially goofy changes like the play-in and in-season tournament have worked, much to my surprise mind you.
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 25,005

Post#105 » by Ron Swanson » Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:21 pm

Like Goodell, Silver's only successes can easily be attributed to the natural growth of the sport, rather than anything he's actually spearheaded. True, the last team to relocate was 15-year ago, but franchise valuations tripling in that same timeframe have made relocation not as financially viable anymore. That's why all the talk is about expansion now.

Stern was the guy that transformed the NBA into the global sport that it is now. Meanwhile, Silver can't even market his biggest stars properly (Jokic, Giannis), and has presided over the biggest dip in competitive quality (the NBA regular season) of all the major pro sports. He's become the big-market teams' useful idiot in many ways.
Licensed to Il
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,891

Post#106 » by Licensed to Il » Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:47 pm

I think it’s quite likely that Adam Silver is a vampire.
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 21,900

Post#107 » by Matches Malone » Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:53 pm

Licensed to Il wrote:I think it’s quite likely that Adam Silver is a vampire.

Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 25,005

Post#108 » by Ron Swanson » Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:11 pm

Read on Twitter

Damn, if he's indeed healthy I probably would have preferred him over Gallo. Oh well.
theFireBlanket
RealGM
And1: 4,409

Post#109 » by theFireBlanket » Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:21 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:
Read on Twitter

Damn, if he's indeed healthy I probably would have preferred him over Gallo. Oh well.

Definitely, although his history of being unable to stay healthy is concerning. Particularly with the current iteration of Bucks.
DukeH wrote:Plenty, RealGM Bucks Board is the Golden Dawn of forums.

f=21 runs better with Diesel, #FreeChuckDiesel
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,775

Post#110 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:37 pm

I'm just taken aback Otto is only 30.

Sent from my SM-F731U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
KidA24
General Manager
And1: 8,018

Post#111 » by KidA24 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:21 pm

Matches Malone wrote:

Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 27,196

Post#112 » by blazza18 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:25 pm

Otto might have played more games in the Warriors 22 title season than he has for the 5-6 years before and after it. Talk about catching a break.
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
PintSizedBox10
Head Coach
And1: 3,272

Post#113 » by PintSizedBox10 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:25 am

Luka is a bitch
GoldenAntlers
General Manager
And1: 4,562

Post#114 » by GoldenAntlers » Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:44 am

Ron Swanson wrote:
GoldenAntlers wrote:
Profound23 wrote:It's funny, for years or even decades a lot of us have said how the NBA is biased against small markets and does what they can to keep the big markets like LA, Boston, Miami in the championship games. We were called conspiracy theorists. Yet, the NBA is upping the bar for allstar games so they will only be played in the few big market cities.
Think I missed something.
I heard Milwaukee put in to be considered for an All Star game. Did the NBA rebuttle by changing their standards? Or is this a reaction to the fact we will probably never meet current standards?

https://basketnews.com/news-202214-updated-requirements-to-host-nba-all-star-weekend-revealed.html

As Oklahoma City is trying to get the opportunity to host the event, the city was informed about the new requirements, Joe Mussatto from The Oklahoman notes:

7,250 hotel rooms and a minimum of three five-star hotels.
Convention center of 650,000 square feet (60,386 m²) of exhibition space.
75 nonstop domestic flights and at least 20 international flights.
Oklahoma's Will Rogers World Airport currently offers just 25 non-stop flights, two of which are seasonal, and there are no international flights. The city additionally lacks more than 2000 hotel rooms, and the newly-built convention center falls short of the mark.

While the Thunder are set to build a new arena for a minimum of $900 million, $850 million of which will be funded by taxpayers, it will probably not be enough to bring the All-Star Weekend to such a seemingly small market.

Absolute d-bag "bait and switch" move by the league office. Wait until small-market teams approve new arena spending, then shift the goal posts. Silver is a con artist.
That is wild.

Thanks for sharing.
"Silence is a source of great strength." - Lao Tzu
GoldenAntlers
General Manager
And1: 4,562

Post#115 » by GoldenAntlers » Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:45 am

Matches Malone wrote:

A totally different type of vampire than Ersan, thank God.
"Silence is a source of great strength." - Lao Tzu
Daver
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,278

Post#116 » by Daver » Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:13 am

Typical C game hit almost 50% of your 3s JFC thats insane how many TDs would giannis have if he had the Celtic shooters fu.. me
Plossum
General Manager
And1: 5,154

Post#117 » by Plossum » Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:50 am

Klay's decline has been pretty sudden and severe. Wonder where he ends up after this season.
#LockUpChuck
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 15,818

Post#118 » by RiotPunch » Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:41 am

Daver wrote:Typical C game hit almost 50% of your 3s JFC thats insane how many TDs would giannis have if he had the Celtic shooters fu.. me

#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
LISTEN2JAZZ
RealGM
And1: 173

Post#119 » by LISTEN2JAZZ » Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:39 pm

I already hated the all star game because of the **** basketball but making it so blatantly about flying in rich ahole sponsors makes me hate it even more.
RogerMurdock
Analyst
And1: 6,827

Post#120 » by RogerMurdock » Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:14 pm

LISTEN2JAZZ wrote:I already hated the all star game because of the **** basketball but making it so blatantly about flying in rich ahole sponsors makes me hate it even more.

I don't know, I personally loved seeing Guy Fieri chewing a cigar every couple minutes during the three-point contest.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks