ImageImage

Sessions Update:Ramon signs T-Wolves OS (page 310 update)

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

Buck You
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 541

Re: David Aldridge: Knicks No Longer Interested In Sessions 

Post#101 » by Buck You » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:34 am

I don't know what to believe anymore. I won't believe anything until he is signed somewhere lol.
illastrate
Starter
And1: 629

Post#102 » by illastrate » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:52 am

MouteKicksBoute wrote:It depends on what you guys offer him. If it's the MLE, we might not match. Anything below that, it's very likely we do match. I think Sessions will be good behind Baron, but don't expect Ramon to carry the load by himself when Baron goes down again. I can't tell if you guys are in rebuilding mode or actually trying to make a splash this year, but by the AI rumors, I assume you guys are looking for a playoff spot.

It would have to be the MLE. And well, we're in a semi-rebuilding phase. After this year, Baron will be our only player left over 30, as we'll have significant cap space in 2010.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,328

Post#103 » by El Duderino » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:57 am

emunney wrote:To add to The Dude's post, I think Alexander is quicker this year despite or because of his weight gain. A couple of those SL drives were ridiculous. In the Bulls game he was all the way past Taj Gibson before Gibson could flinch.

The Packers hired a new strength and conditioning coach this year. After the hire, on their site they had a 20 plus minute interview with the guy. While it's not exactly like a splitting the atom revelation, he talked about how vital it is for any athlete to add the right kind of weight exclusive to the sport he plays and what fits that athletes skill set. Simply adding bulk doesn't mean a player will have more functional strength relative to what he needs to do in his craft and could end up hindering that player. At the same time, adding muscle not only didn't have to lessen quickness, it could add explosion and quickness so long as it's the right kind of muscle for that player.

Jennings looks to have that wirey kind of build to where he'll likely never get that thick, but could add a reasonable amount of functional strength to help him against stronger players.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,328

Post#104 » by El Duderino » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:15 am

illastrate wrote:
MouteKicksBoute wrote:It depends on what you guys offer him. If it's the MLE, we might not match. Anything below that, it's very likely we do match. I think Sessions will be good behind Baron, but don't expect Ramon to carry the load by himself when Baron goes down again. I can't tell if you guys are in rebuilding mode or actually trying to make a splash this year, but by the AI rumors, I assume you guys are looking for a playoff spot.

It would have to be the MLE. And well, we're in a semi-rebuilding phase. After this year, Baron will be our only player left over 30, as we'll have significant cap space in 2010.

I've wondered when reading about the Clippers interest in Sessions if their best case hopes would be that Ramon plays very well to the point it made Davis expendable at some point? Say Sessions looks great in the backup role and then as a starter when Davis has his eventual injury, then see if anyone around the league would have interest in Davis. Baron does have a contract that might turn off some teams, but he is skilled enough that added to the right contender, he could be that final piece.

I'll say up front that i think higher of Sessions than many on here do, so that's partially why i could envision the scenario above. Either way though, if you guys did make an offer that the Bucks didn't match, i think you Clipper fans will end up loving Sessions. With his ability to get in the paint and dish, it could lead to many open jumpers for Gordon who i admit that i was very wrong about and plenty of dunks for Griffin. Sessions isn't a good jump shooter which is his biggest weakness on offense, but he does has solid enough form that IMO i'd expect improvement even if it's gradual. Defensively is where Ramon needs the most work. He seems a hard worker, but to often though defensively looked to be floating around instead of knowing where he should be.
GrandAdmiralDan
RealGM
And1: 1,296

Post#105 » by GrandAdmiralDan » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:37 am

europa wrote:Now's the time I'd like to see Hammond make an offer to Sessions. Start at 3/$12M and see if he bites. The market is going away quickly so this is a good time for Hammond to see if he can wrap this up and move on.

Yep. I still say Hammond should be willing to offer Sessions the exact contract I proposed, and maybe go up from there a little bit if necessary.

As I said in that post where I suggested that contract, ONLY having the goal of trying to retain a player for the very least amount of money is not ALWAYS the best strategy, depending on the player and the circumstances. There are indeed drawbacks to that strategy, not only positives. I am obviously interested in the Bucks getting the best deal possible in anything they do, but that doesn't always mean simply the lowest amount/length combo. You do have to balance all factors.

As with anything, if you keep waiting for the price to go down, at a certain point you will have missed the most opportune price to buy at, and the price could be going up when you then decide to act. Even if a market for Sessions starts to appear dry, the market is still somewhat fluid because NBA rosters are not static. Trades occur. Injuries occur. A month from now, two teams that currently wouldn't appear to have interest in Sessions just might.

MouteKicksBoute wrote:In all reality though, if I were Walsh, I'd forget about Sessions, sign A.I. for the same money, and let A.I. run the show in New York for a year or two. It won't cost them much to get a future hall of famer, who can still play, and will even play better under Diantoni, who I think is the perfect coach for AI.

I'd rather have Sessions if I were them. But I can definitely see the appeal for them of bringing in Iverson for a year. It would be interesting, to say the least.

EastSideBucksFan wrote:I think you guys mean

Chubby Wells via GeryWoelfel Twitter

Knicks still very much in hunt for Sessions

Possibly. But Woelfel has always been tight with Donnie Walsh. The info might be leaking from Walsh.

El Duderino wrote:
Ayt wrote:
Wise1 wrote:
This is a precise business. The salary structure has to be managed with a fine toothed comb. Every year and every dollar counts.

You should probably inform Hammond of that since he's wasted so much money so far.

No kidding

That's what's so laughable about many here acting like Hammond is just doing with Sessions what he's done since getting here, be careful with how he spends money. Hammond is the same guy who lit money on fire signing guys like Lue, Allen, and Elson. Then he lights another about 7 million on fire by delaying the RJ trade.

That said, i'd be pleased if we could could get Sessions locked up for 3 or 4 years instead of five. This last PG heavy draft helped in that regard. I'd have matched a full MLE offer for Ramon, but if the market lessens the dollar amount, that's even better. Having two very young and very talented young PG's to fight things out would be ideal for me and i have no doubt that if the best case happened where both Jennings/Sessions played well, Sessions could be traded for value in a year or two, not just to shave his contract. If though Ramon does end up getting an offer Hammond won't match, i'm very confident in believing that which ever team it is, that contract will be looked back upon as a bargain while Sessions proves himself to be an above average starting PG at a below average salary.

Exactly.

El Duderino wrote:
MouteKicksBoute wrote:
Either way, I know everyone is at the very least curious to see what a Jennings/Redd/Pube trio will do for us.

Not me, the main things i'm curious about for next year are in order

1. By far the most important thing i'll be watching next year is how the young kids play. Hopefully Sessions is kept/Ridnour traded and then i'll be big time excited to see how our two young and talented PG's develop. They have to fight each other for minutes in each practice and game. Then i'll be praying that Alexander starts showing something so that the draft pick wasn't a complete waste. Mbah a Moute likely will always be limited to a quality bench player at the SF/PF spots, but i'd love to see his offensive game grow somewhat each year to go with his superb defense. Meeks i'll be hoping he becomes yet another 2nd round steal that can bring scoring off the bench. Amir Johnson strikes me as to dumb and lacking basketball skills to amount to more than a spot minutes guy, but he at least has some youth to intrigue me slightly.

2. Bogut develops some additions to his offensive skill set. I'd love any of another reliable post move or a mid range/post up jumper. His back holding up with be huge also.

3. Redd coming back healthy and staying healthy to the deadline so that some contender might want to trade for him.

4. I'm greatly looking forward to another season of Scott Skiles post game press conferences after losses. Great comedy

5. The Bucks actual record

I agree, yet again
97-98
Nick Van Exel (LAL) on defending the Stockton-Malone pick-and-roll: "Yeah,
I got a way to defend it. Bring a bat to the game and kill one of them."
MilBucksBackOnTop06
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#106 » by MilBucksBackOnTop06 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:06 am

europa wrote:Aldridge's report matches up with what I posted previously - I thought the Knicks pursuing Sessions ran contrary to their 2010 plans and I've never believed the Thunder were seriously interested because I didn't believe they'd want to disrupt their backcourt and possibly anger Westbrook.

If this report is true, it could come down to the Clippers, who continue to talk to Iverson. If Sterling wins that tug of war, Sessions will be down to the Bucks. He'll have to take their offer or the QO. Either way, the Bucks would win in my opinion.
OKC could anger Westbrook enough to drive him here! Sign and trade him for a package including Westbrook for all I care.
BDUB_30
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#107 » by BDUB_30 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:16 am

TheMachine wrote:
BDUB_30 wrote:Figures ..

I have no idea why the knicks had interest in him anyways ..They shoot ALOT of 3's in Dantoni's system , ramon is one of the WORSE in that department .

Seems as if the leauge has no interest in the " soon to be all star " ramon sessions ..Stark contrast from the b.s we read on here , one would think if ramon was as talented as some beleive he is teams would be lining up . I wonder why they are not ? one would be left to beleive if ramon was as good as some people say a team would step up .... HA ! hilarious .

So lets get this put into context , ramon on the trading block = no interest .. ramon on free agent market = no interest ...A whole lot of NO INTEREST for a guy being regarded as the next great pg ..something doesnt add up here .. could it be hmmmm . hes wildly overated ?

Ill repeate it one last time ...3 mil per , or no deal ... that is what hammond feels he is worth , that is what he is worth , hes a backup pg that cant shoot , defend , or run an offense .. he should concider himself lucky to even get that deal ..

Exactly what I have said also. Funny how half of the "experts" on this board were ready to throw a full 5/$34 full MLE at Sessions, and considered that a "steal" (some had talked that Sessions is worth $8 - $9 mil/yr! Now that is scary that someone could actually believe that) Well not one of 30 NBA GM's apparantly agree wtih that thinking. The Bucks don't need to hand out another over-inflated contract to an over achieving second rounder.

I would like to see the Bucks keep Sessions as a quality backup pg, but for no more that 3/$10 max.

Thats what ive been saying all along ...Well see ...

I would just die of laughter if the knicks offered ramon 3/10 and the bucks didnt match ..

I honestly dont think hammond wants him back at all ..
Wise1
RealGM
And1: 256

Post#108 » by Wise1 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:29 am

Ayt wrote:
Wise1 wrote:This would be a mistake. Why rob Jennings of some of his quickness by adding 10lbs plus to him? He's a small guy. I say let him fill out naturally with some light weight training. AI never added significant weight to his frame. Speed kills. 10lbs isn't going to make an ounce of difference against Billups, Kidd, or young Tyreke Evans. I'd rather have them try to deal with Brandon's speed and quickness.

I think adding so much weight to his frame so quickly after leaving Ohio State had a negative effect on Greg Oden.

I think KG was another guy that filled out naturally as a thin big. Camby as well.

What the heck happened to your old mantra off needing a big PG for the playoffs?

It was always my preference, but I always pointed out that smalls like Iverson brought other things to the table that negated their size disadvantage. TJ Ford, did not have the defense and finishing ability that Iverson had and was thus a major liability against big guards in the playoffs.

Jennings has Iverson-like potential in multiple areas. We all saw how he competed against the much larger Tyreke Evans. Jennings is not the average, run of the mill small point guard. Along with the tremendous speed, has has the quickness and long arms needed to be a huge disrupter defensively.
JoeHova
Lead Assistant
And1: 61

Post#109 » by JoeHova » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:29 am

MouteKicksBoute wrote:I think us, as Bucks fans are partly to blame for the overhype of Sessions. We literally spent this whole past season praising him for every double-double, and 20+ game he had. It seemed like as soon as he hit that game winner against the Wizards, a star was born in the eyes of Bucks fans. The reality is, he's a solid player, but he's never gonna be a superstar in this league, unfortunately. I'd match up to 4yr/12 mil, but that's it.

It depends what you mean by superstar. Will he ever be hyped like Iverson or Marbury? I doubt it. Will he be one of the 30 best players in the league, year in and year out? Yes, I believe he will be. The guy can really play. I'm not sure why so many people think that a 22 year old Ramon Sessions is as good as he'll ever be. Joe Alexander is only a few months younger and was one of the worst players in the league last year, but many people think he'll be a rotation player next year. Meanwhile, Ramon was a well-above average starting PG and people are now claiming he's only a backup. Ludicrous.
"Look, if he sees me on his lawn waving a gun around, he's gonna pretend not to be home."
Wise1
RealGM

Post#110 » by Wise1 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:31 am

El Duderino wrote:
Ayt wrote:
Wise1 wrote:This would be a mistake. Why rob Jennings of some of his quickness by adding 10lbs plus to him? He's a small guy. I say let him fill out naturally with some light weight training. AI never added significant weight to his frame. Speed kills. 10lbs isn't going to make an ounce of difference against Billups, Kidd, or young Tyreke Evans. I'd rather have them try to deal with Brandon's speed and quickness.

I think adding so much weight to his frame so quickly after leaving Ohio State had a negative effect on Greg Oden.

I think KG was another guy that filled out naturally as a thin big. Camby as well.

What the heck happened to your old mantra off needing a big PG for the playoffs?

He likes Jennings so it vanished. Plus, it won't have to rob Jennings of quickness to get stronger. Many athletes retain their quickness even after getting bigger, so long as it's good weight. Hell, LeBron now looks like a defensive end and is as quick as ever. Same with many NBA players. So long as Jennings doesn't add Michael Redd type of weight, he can get stronger while still be cat quick.

Eh? Wrong.
Wise1
RealGM

Post#111 » by Wise1 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:40 am

El Duderino wrote:
Ayt wrote:

He likes Jennings so it vanished. Plus, it won't have to rob Jennings of quickness to get stronger. Many athletes retain their quickness even after getting bigger, so long as it's good weight. Hell, LeBron now looks like a defensive end and is as quick as ever. Same with many NBA players. So long as Jennings doesn't add Michael Redd type of weight, he can get stronger while still be cat quick.

In my take, good weight = natural weight that comes with physical maturity and moderate weight training. Not gaining 10-20lbs over the course of a few months as suggested by the poster that I responded to.

Did James put on massive weight from year 1 to year 2? By my eye, the guy always had a frame that could carry more muscle weight and he's pretty much filled out over the years. Besides, Lebron is an uncommon athlete...albeit without a championship constitution at this point.

Jennings has the AI body type. I don't see Iverson being the same player he became while putting on an extra 20 lbs of muscle.
Wise1
RealGM

Post#112 » by Wise1 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:42 am

TheMachine wrote:
BDUB_30 wrote:Figures ..

I have no idea why the knicks had interest in him anyways ..They shoot ALOT of 3's in Dantoni's system , ramon is one of the WORSE in that department .

Seems as if the leauge has no interest in the " soon to be all star " ramon sessions ..Stark contrast from the b.s we read on here , one would think if ramon was as talented as some beleive he is teams would be lining up . I wonder why they are not ? one would be left to beleive if ramon was as good as some people say a team would step up .... HA ! hilarious .

So lets get this put into context , ramon on the trading block = no interest .. ramon on free agent market = no interest ...A whole lot of NO INTEREST for a guy being regarded as the next great pg ..something doesnt add up here .. could it be hmmmm . hes wildly overated ?

Ill repeate it one last time ...3 mil per , or no deal ... that is what hammond feels he is worth , that is what he is worth , hes a backup pg that cant shoot , defend , or run an offense .. he should concider himself lucky to even get that deal ..

Exactly what I have said also. Funny how half of the "experts" on this board were ready to throw a full 5/$34 full MLE at Sessions, and considered that a "steal" (some had talked that Sessions is worth $8 - $9 mil/yr! Now that is scary that someone could actually believe that) Well not one of 30 NBA GM's apparantly agree wtih that thinking. The Bucks don't need to hand out another over-inflated contract to an over achieving second rounder.

I would like to see the Bucks keep Sessions as a quality backup pg, but for no more that 3/$10 max.

Yep.
Wise1
RealGM

Post#113 » by Wise1 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:53 am

emunney wrote:To add to The Dude's post, I think Alexander is quicker this year despite or because of his weight gain. A couple of those SL drives were ridiculous. In the Bulls game he was all the way past Taj Gibson before Gibson could flinch.

Perhaps, perhaps not. But he's a big with a different body type than Jennings. Would you think Iverson would have displayed the same quickness in his rookie year if the Sixer trainers put 20 pounds of muscle on him during the offseason? For what he does, I think the extra weight would have been a detriment. Quck and small with long arms allowed AI prime to slip between cracks and beat larger players to the rim on offense. That lightning crossover was also aided by the fact that he had less weight to redistribute than most of his opponents.

Weight and muscle can be leveraged more readily by frontcourt and wing players. Point guards, due to varies body types, don't necessarily have to depend on muscle mass. Jennings will get stronger naturally if he never touches a weight because he is only 19. I expect Jennings to build strength with moderate weight training, but I think an extra pumped up 20lbs is the wrong way to go.
0BobLobLaw0
Starter
And1: 2,022

Post#114 » by 0BobLobLaw0 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:16 am

El Duderino- Off subject here, but who is that in your avatar?
Why should you go to jail for a crime someone else noticed? You don't need double talk... You need Bob Loblaw.
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,145

Post#115 » by WRau1 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:46 am

According to a DET board poster, who I guess claims to be CV's brother, says that Ramon is as good as gone in MIL. Said that either NYK or LAC will offer up a contract that MIL won't want to match. I guess this isn't really new info, just kind of weird coming from that source.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=930039
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,282

Post#116 » by LUKE23 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:17 pm

WRau1 wrote:According to a DET board poster, who I guess claims to be CV's brother, says that Ramon is as good as gone in MIL. Said that either NYK or LAC will offer up a contract that MIL won't want to match. I guess this isn't really new info, just kind of weird coming from that source.

I'm starting to get the same feeling about Sessions.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,445

Post#117 » by trwi7 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:21 pm

MouteKicksBoute wrote:
LUKE23 wrote:
WRau1 wrote:According to a DET board poster, who I guess claims to be CV's brother, says that Ramon is as good as gone in MIL. Said that either NYK or LAC will offer up a contract that MIL won't want to match. I guess this isn't really new info, just kind of weird coming from that source.

I'm starting to get the same feeling about Sessions.

If we don't match the offer, Ridnour stays.

Ugh. He better only get like 10 minutes a game then.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#118 » by LUKE23 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:21 pm

If we don't match the offer, Ridnour stays.

If we let Ramon walk for nothing and give Ridnour minutes next season, I might not watch one game. Losing CV for nothing? I'm fine with that, even though I think he should have been moved at the deadline with another player for some value. Losing Sessions for nothing is absolutely and 100% inexcusable general managing.

And then if I have to watch Luke Ridnour on top of it, I'm done.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#119 » by LUKE23 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:27 pm

Another point I forgot about, and one of the reasons I was for the Conley deal at the time (the risk of losing Sessions).
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#120 » by LUKE23 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:35 pm

I have no interest in Lee at what he'd be paid. He can't defend and he has no jumper. Yes, he can rebound like a madman, but rebounding will not be a problem for this team next year.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks