OT: Cutting the Cord 2.0 - TNT uses matching clause to knock out Amazon

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Octopus Jonny
Senior
And1: 82

Re: OT: Cutting the Cord 2.0 The Tutorial 

Post#121 » by Octopus Jonny » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:14 am

http://www.woot.com/plus/motorola-surfboard-cable-modems-6

Super cheap factory refurbished Motorola cable modems are up on Woot again!

If you missed it last time, jump on it!

Stop paying your cable company every month to rent their janky snailbox and get your own modem.

In most cases, you will see greatly increased speeds that are much closer to the advertised speed you are paying for. If you're like me and were paying for 30MBpS broadband that was actually capping out around 2.5MBpS download speeds, it's worth it simply for the increase there.

I bought the SB6141 the last time Woot had these things listed and couldn't be more pleased with the results.
Aaron It Out
General Manager
And1: 3,101

Post#122 » by Aaron It Out » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:39 am

Octopus Jonny wrote:http://www.woot.com/plus/motorola-surfboard-cable-modems-6

Stop paying your cable company every month to rent their janky snailbox and get your own modem.

In most cases, you will see greatly increased speeds that are much closer to the advertised speed you are paying for. If you're like me and were paying for 30MBpS broadband that was actually capping out around 2.5MBpS download speeds, it's worth it simply for the increase there.

I bought the SB6141 the last time Woot had these things listed and couldn't be more pleased with the results.

For even double the effect on your wallet, they have an N300 Modem Router for $70 rather than the modem for $40. I've never used a modem router before at my house, but my girlfriend and I use an N300 router and at any given time we can have 7 devices connected to the router and we never have bandwidth issues. It's a pretty good deal for $70. That's about 4-5 months of renting a modem and a router from your cable company.
EastSideBucksFan wrote:At some point this board is going to have to drop their stupid bullsht agendas and just enjoy the team for once.
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM
And1: 1,417

Post#123 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:34 pm

Anybody use a mini PC with their tv for streaming purposes? I'm thinking of getting one soon and would love some advice on which one to get. So far I'm leaning toward these ones, with some memory upgrade most likely...

http://www.amazon.com/HP-Pavilion-K5G62AA-ABA-Desktop/dp/B00RH6BIF6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1440171219&sr=8-2&keywords=HP+mini+pc

http://www.amazon.com/HP-Pavilion-300-030-Mini-Desktop/dp/B00R7R1H5G/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1440171219&sr=8-3&keywords=HP+mini+pc
BucksRuleAll22 wrote:Calvin Johnson is horrible and not a top WR.
Treebeard
Head Coach
And1: 1,790

Post#124 » by Treebeard » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:48 pm

PkrsBcksGphsMqt wrote:Anybody use a mini PC with their tv for streaming purposes? I'm thinking of getting one soon and would love some advice on which one to get. So far I'm leaning toward these ones, with some memory upgrade most likely...

http://www.amazon.com/HP-Pavilion-K5G62AA-ABA-Desktop/dp/B00RH6BIF6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1440171219&sr=8-2&keywords=HP+mini+pc

http://www.amazon.com/HP-Pavilion-300-030-Mini-Desktop/dp/B00R7R1H5G/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1440171219&sr=8-3&keywords=HP+mini+pc

I'm interested as well.

What system attributes would you recommend: size of memory, number and type of ports, OS, etc?
Ill-yasova
RealGM
And1: 2,559

Post#125 » by Ill-yasova » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:27 pm

Getting closer and closer to cutting the cord, but I want to confirm that I can still get my sports fix. I live in Madison and would still like to watch all of my Packers, Bucks, and Brewers games but I've heard horror stories about blackouts. Is this true?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36,756

Post#126 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:22 pm

Ill-yasova wrote:Getting closer and closer to cutting the cord, but I want to confirm that I can still get my sports fix. I live in Madison and would still like to watch all of my Packers, Bucks, and Brewers games but I've heard horror stories about blackouts. Is this true?

You're going to be blacked out from all Wisconsin sports. The good news is there are very easy and cheap ways around the blackouts that generally work flawlessly.
BobbyLight
RealGM
And1: 1,546

Post#127 » by BobbyLight » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:42 pm

I think this is the year I finally cut the cord. Was talking to the wife about it and we barely use our cable and when we do, it's almost always for local programming (other than the NBA). I think Ballstreams is finally what's going to get me to do it.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#128 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:17 pm

I think in the fall and winter it's almost a no-brainer to cut the cord. Buy a nice antenna (the Leaf is, like, $30) for over the air broadcasts. Depending on where you live that means ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC and the CW. That takes care of the vast majority of your Packer games. Sign for Ballstreams on whatever package you like. I usually go with the three month. There's your NBA. Netflix/Hulu for streaming movies and TV, and if you have Amazon Prime (and you should) you get their excellent streaming library as well. If you have a friend or relative with ESPN you could use their WatchESPN credentials for college football and college basketball.
bbbarnett47
Junior
And1: 136

Post#129 » by bbbarnett47 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:19 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:I think in the fall and winter it's almost a no-brainer to cut the cord. Buy a nice antenna (the Leaf is, like, $30) for over the air broadcasts. Depending on where you live that means ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC and the CW. That takes care of the vast majority of your Packer games. Sign for Ballstreams on whatever package you like. I usually go with the three month. There's your NBA. Netflix/Hulu for streaming movies and TV, and if you have Amazon Prime (and you should) you get their excellent streaming library as well. If you have a friend or relative with ESPN you could use their WatchESPN credentials for college football and college basketball.

Never heard of BallStreams before I saw your post. How long before they accept your invite request?
ackypoo
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,358

Post#130 » by ackypoo » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:22 pm

bbbarnett47 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:I think in the fall and winter it's almost a no-brainer to cut the cord. Buy a nice antenna (the Leaf is, like, $30) for over the air broadcasts. Depending on where you live that means ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC and the CW. That takes care of the vast majority of your Packer games. Sign for Ballstreams on whatever package you like. I usually go with the three month. There's your NBA. Netflix/Hulu for streaming movies and TV, and if you have Amazon Prime (and you should) you get their excellent streaming library as well. If you have a friend or relative with ESPN you could use their WatchESPN credentials for college football and college basketball.

Never heard of BallStreams before I saw your post. How long before they accept your invite request?

depends on your location, but i wouldnt hold your breath.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#131 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:23 pm

I signed up before there was invites, so I guess I have no idea.
bbbarnett47
Junior
And1: 136

Post#132 » by bbbarnett47 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:32 pm

Well damn. I guess the fact that they use an invite system isn't exactly promising. :banghead:
steger_3434
RealGM
And1: 5,482

Post#133 » by steger_3434 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:17 pm

What's a good router to get without breaking the bank? Connecting to it would be two tvs, two phones, an iMac and an iPad. Basically no gaming, but will be used for web surfing and streaming. Picked up a linksys ea3500 at best buy for like $80 but willing to take it back. I know next to nothing about routers.
yiyiyi wrote:give rockets Redd ,houston give you T-MAC in return .please help rockets!
i dont want see that woman anymore !
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#134 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:58 pm

steger_3434 wrote:What's a good router to get without breaking the bank? Connecting to it would be two tvs, two phones, an iMac and an iPad. Basically no gaming, but will be used for web surfing and streaming. Picked up a linksys ea3500 at best buy for like $80 but willing to take it back. I know next to nothing about routers.

The wirecutter is where to go for tech reviews and suggestions. Here's what they have to say.
Ill-yasova
RealGM
And1: 2,559

Post#135 » by Ill-yasova » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:23 am

ReasonablySober wrote:
Ill-yasova wrote:Getting closer and closer to cutting the cord, but I want to confirm that I can still get my sports fix. I live in Madison and would still like to watch all of my Packers, Bucks, and Brewers games but I've heard horror stories about blackouts. Is this true?

You're going to be blacked out from all Wisconsin sports. The good news is there are very easy and cheap ways around the blackouts that generally work flawlessly.

PM a brotha.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,124

Post#136 » by Thunder Muscle » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:10 pm

Octopus Jonny wrote:http://www.woot.com/plus/motorola-surfboard-cable-modems-6

Bought the SB6141 the first time around and have been happy thus far. Nice to have the modem charge off the bill too.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 47,128

Post#137 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:25 pm

The day is coming when virtually every channel will be streamable (legally) and available to purchase individually ala carte. And there will be mini packages (Fox, FS1, FSN for example). It will be interesting to see what the pricing will be. Right now I pretty much watch the regular networks (which I can get over the air), ESPN channels, FSN, AMC, FX, HBO, Showtime and just a few others.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
BroncoBuck
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,795

Post#138 » by BroncoBuck » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:14 am

I didn't see it mentioned, but I just run Kodi on a fire stick connected through the HD slot of my tv. The only add ons I use are Genesis and an NBA one that has most of the games. You could skip the Firestick and just run Kodi through a laptop, but the convenience and small price of the Firestick is excellent.
ackypoo
Lead Assistant

Post#139 » by ackypoo » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:51 pm

BroncoBuck wrote:I didn't see it mentioned, but I just run Kodi on a fire stick connected through the HD slot of my tv. The only add ons I use are Genesis and an NBA one that has most of the games. You could skip the Firestick and just run Kodi through a laptop, but the convenience and small price of the Firestick is excellent.

i dont know what any of this means, but i am about to find out.
ackypoo
Lead Assistant

Post#140 » by ackypoo » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:53 pm

ackypoo wrote:
BroncoBuck wrote:I didn't see it mentioned, but I just run Kodi on a fire stick connected through the HD slot of my tv. The only add ons I use are Genesis and an NBA one that has most of the games. You could skip the Firestick and just run Kodi through a laptop, but the convenience and small price of the Firestick is excellent.

i dont know what any of this means, but i am about to find out.

whered you locate the steps to do all this?

Return to Milwaukee Bucks