ImageImage

Indiana Pacers Draft Pick Watch Thread

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

emunney
RealGM
And1: 37,100

Re: Indiana Pacers Draft Pick Watch Thread 

Post#1441 » by emunney » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:15 pm

Upside is kind of like If Mo Williams Played Every Play on Both Ends.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
LuessiT
RealGM
And1: 4,718

Post#1442 » by LuessiT » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:21 pm

Upside is always relative for shooters imo. If Duncan Robinson from Michigan can become the Duncan Robinson from Miami best you can do is make educated guesses. Development in the skills department can be highly nonlinear.
emunney
RealGM

Post#1443 » by emunney » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:32 pm

LuessiT wrote:Upside is always relative for shooters imo. If Duncan Robinson from Michigan can become the Duncan Robinson from Miami best you can do is make educated guesses. Development in the skills department can be highly nonlinear.

He was a 45/42/86 shooter at Michigan though so there some bounds you can put on it if you're looking for like players. He's mainly added some really productive ways to create space off the catch.
LuessiT
RealGM
And1: 4,718

Post#1444 » by LuessiT » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:11 pm

emunney wrote:
LuessiT wrote:Upside is always relative for shooters imo. If Duncan Robinson from Michigan can become the Duncan Robinson from Miami best you can do is make educated guesses. Development in the skills department can be highly nonlinear.

He was a 45/42/86 shooter at Michigan though so there some bounds you can put on it if you're looking for like players. He's mainly added some really productive ways to create space off the catch.

Thing is there are about 10-20 draftable players each year that have similar stats but out of those you get at best one Duncan Robinson. For example Jordan Poole was a guy I thought could fall into that mold. And he still might. But right now he's one of the worst players in the NBA.

I've found high FT% to be a very good indicator for high shooting potential. On the other hand low FT% doesn't necessarely mean a player can't develope a reasonable jumper. My (rudimentary) explanation for that: You can work on your FTs to improve your percentage but you'll never be capable to hit 85%+ without great shooting touch and you'll never be able to hit off-balance jumpers with tight windows at a high clip without great shooting touch.
emunney
RealGM

Post#1445 » by emunney » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:27 pm

LuessiT wrote:
emunney wrote:

Thing is there are about 10-20 draftable players each year that have similar stats but out of those you get at best one Duncan Robinson. For example Jordan Poole was a guy I thought could fall into that mold. And he still might. But right now he's one of the worst players in the NBA.

I've found high FT% to be a very good indicator for high shooting potential. On the other hand low FT% doesn't necessarely mean a player can't develope a reasonable jumper. My (rudimentary) explanation for that: You can work on your FTs to improve your percentage but you'll never be capable to hit 85%+ without great shooting touch and you'll never be able to hit off-balance jumpers with tight windows at a high clip without great shooting touch.

Yeah, most guys don't don't make it and there are exceptions to everything. There's also such a mental element to shooting that can get magnified for some guys at the FT line with everything else stopped, i.e. you have time to think, but you'd better not or you'll end up like Nick Anderson. Think about the path of the ball's flight and think about your breathing, but for the love of god do not think about how your body needs to move to make the ball do what you want.

All the things we look at are potential indicators of The Thing but only The Thing IS The Thing, and what The Thing is is NBA shooting, and precious few guys coming out of the amateur ranks don't need to put a ton of work into it before they can do it consistently. So we're projecting for everybody, yes, but the more educated the guess, the better.
StickeeFingaz
RealGM
And1: 6,702

Post#1446 » by StickeeFingaz » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:04 pm

I get some FVV vibes from Flynn. Not sure if he can defend or not.
#FreeChuckDiesel
emunney
RealGM

Post#1447 » by emunney » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:22 am

StickeeFingaz wrote:I get some FVV vibes from Flynn. Not sure if he can defend or not.

He absolutely could in college, which is a good start. Conference DPOY.
SupremeHustle
RealGM
And1: 28,741

Post#1449 » by SupremeHustle » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:25 pm

emunney wrote:

We call those ways "traveling".
jschligs wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't know who the **** SupremeHustle is?
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 24,300

Post#1450 » by Ron Swanson » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:37 pm

I'd probably take him over Mannion but that's more because I really don't like Mannion at all, and I don't really see what makes Flynn a better prospect than Cassius Winston. He's maybe like the 10th-11th best PG prospect in this draft class depending on what you classify Hampton as. Wouldn't surprise me that much if Flynn went undrafted TBH.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1451 » by Ruzious » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:57 pm

emunney wrote:I am judging you for abbreviating Florida State University as FLaST, but not too harshly.

It's not a good abbrev? Actually, that's as close to a compliment as I've gotten.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1452 » by Ruzious » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:04 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:I'd probably take him over Mannion but that's more because I really don't like Mannion at all, and I don't really see what makes Flynn a better prospect than Cassius Winston. He's maybe like the 10th-11th best PG prospect in this draft class depending on what you classify Hampton as. Wouldn't surprise me that much if Flynn went undrafted TBH.

Winston's not bad. I prefer Flynn's defense to him, and I think Winston's a bit turnover-prone compared to Flynn. I'd be shocked if Flynn doesn't get drafted, but I've been shocked before. I have Flynn going early 2nd round.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
emunney
RealGM

Post#1453 » by emunney » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:06 pm

SupremeHustle wrote:
emunney wrote:

We call those ways "traveling".

That seems harsh. To borrow from Hirohito, I would just say that "the foot movement situation has developed not necessarily to the Bucks' advantage".
emunney
RealGM

Post#1454 » by emunney » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:08 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:I'd probably take him over Mannion but that's more because I really don't like Mannion at all, and I don't really see what makes Flynn a better prospect than Cassius Winston. He's maybe like the 10th-11th best PG prospect in this draft class depending on what you classify Hampton as. Wouldn't surprise me that much if Flynn went undrafted TBH.

If I had to boil it down I'd say defense and body control.
BucksFanSD
Veteran
And1: 1,365

Post#1455 » by BucksFanSD » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:05 pm

Ruzious wrote: I'd be shocked if Flynn doesn't get drafted, but I've been shocked before. I have Flynn going early 2nd round.

Early 2nd seems about right. Late first if there weren't so many good PG prospects in this draft. Flynn did a lot of good overall things to create winning basketball for a very good SDSU team and I was able to watch a few of their games.
emunney
RealGM

Post#1456 » by emunney » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:22 pm

Man I really want to trade up for Haliburton.
machu46
RealGM
And1: 3,740

Post#1457 » by machu46 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:26 pm

emunney wrote:Man I really want to trade up for Haliburton.

I'd absolutely love to have him but I don't really see a realistic way to get up as high as I think we'll need to to get him (which I believe is top 5 if not higher).
trwi7 wrote:**** me deep, Giannis. ****. Me. Deep.
msiris
RealGM
And1: 1,774

Post#1458 » by msiris » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:12 pm

Ride the tank
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1459 » by Ruzious » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:14 pm

machu46 wrote:
emunney wrote:Man I really want to trade up for Haliburton.

I'd absolutely love to have him but I don't really see a realistic way to get up as high as I think we'll need to to get him (which I believe is top 5 if not higher).

I have him going 8th. He could possibly slip to 10th at the latest. Even if he did, I don't see a trade up for Milwaukee.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1460 » by Ruzious » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:21 pm

Quickley's pretty much a 1 trick pony with his shooting. If I buy a mid 2nd rounder, I'd rather go for Payton Prichard, Grant Riller, or Nate Hinton.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks