ImageImage

Bucks sign Augustin - 3 years $21 million

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 15,416

Re: Bucks sign Augustin - 3 years $21 million 

Post#181 » by RiotPunch » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:17 am

3rd year NG'd makes him easier to move if things don't click as well.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,927

Post#182 » by blazza18 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:19 am

A good way to safe guard against an ageing player dropping off talent wise is not giving them multi year deals in the first place.
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
BigO
Analyst
And1: 3,220

Post#183 » by BigO » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:26 am

buckboy wrote:Feel much better about this after seeing Avery Bradley's contract. Yikes.

Avery Bradley can play defense.
Prez
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 42,037

Post#184 » by Prez » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:27 am

blazza18 wrote:A good way to safe guard against an ageing player dropping off talent wise is not giving them multi year deals in the first place.

What if he had multi year deals on the table from other teams and there were no other realistic & better PG options?
blazza18
RealGM

Post#185 » by blazza18 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:32 am

Prez wrote:
blazza18 wrote:A good way to safe guard against an ageing player dropping off talent wise is not giving them multi year deals in the first place.

What if he had multi year deals on the table from other teams and there were no other realistic & better PG options?

It's a hard dilemma no doubt. I believe a strong and confident front office will more often than not get the decision right.
Prez
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 42,037

Post#186 » by Prez » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:36 am

blazza18 wrote:
Prez wrote:

It's a hard dilemma no doubt. I believe a strong and confident front office will more often than not get the decision right.

I guess I don’t see what else the decision could’ve been, we’re literally looking at Jeff Teague and Austin Rivers (who also got a multi year deal) types as other options. We really needed a Jrue backup who could also start as needed, and Augustin is a good player.

It would suck if he gets hurt or drops off hard but tbh process wise I don’t see a problem with a 2 year deal, 3 years I’m with you 100% but 2 is alright imo.
buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,964

Post#187 » by buckboy » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:37 am

BigO wrote:
buckboy wrote:Feel much better about this after seeing Avery Bradley's contract. Yikes.

Avery Bradley is done.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
blazza18
RealGM

Post#188 » by blazza18 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:42 am

Prez wrote:
blazza18 wrote:
Prez wrote:What if he had multi year deals on the table from other teams and there were no other realistic & better PG options?

I guess I don’t see what else the decision could’ve been, we’re literally looking at Jeff Teague and Austin Rivers (who also got a multi year deal) types as other options. We really needed a Jrue backup who could also start as needed, and Augustin is a good player.

It would suck if he gets hurt or drops off hard but tbh process wise I don’t see a problem with a 2 year deal, 3 years I’m with you 100% but 2 is alright imo.

It's not a terrible deal. Just have to hope last season wasn't the start of the decline and playing for a "contender" picks him up like it did for Hill. He's got the offensive game to make us a tougher team to defend.
tedbrogen
Analyst
And1: 2,828

Post#189 » by tedbrogen » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:49 am

Shouldn’t it help Augustin that he can play some off ball and shoot spot up wide open threes? Instead of the Orlando system that required him to create everything for himself due to lack of Giannis and Midds level gravity from teammates.
DrWood
Head Coach
And1: 2,383

Post#190 » by DrWood » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:50 am

books wrote:Not a fan of this signing. Never really liked him as a player, and he’s small.

I’m ok with the Forbes signing, but with him, DDV, and Augustin, that’s three guards a little over 6’0. DDV the tallest and he looks small at times out there. Would be hard to play two of the three together for many minutes.

DDV is 6'4" with mad hops. he can play minutes at 3.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#191 » by Ruzious » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:27 pm

Prez wrote:

Gotta figure that the market for 33 year old 5'11 players coming off a season where their eFG went from .566 to .475 isn't real big.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
emunney
RealGM
And1: 37,089

Post#192 » by emunney » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:02 pm

BigO wrote:

Yeah but he can't dribble.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,823

Post#193 » by JayMKE » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:57 pm

3rd year NG makes it a lot easier to swallow, the Ersan deal.
FREE GIANNIS
higharc
Junior
And1: 225

Post#194 » by higharc » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:18 pm

Augustine seems destined to lead the bench mob (and I believe he will excel at that role). If we need him to start we are in trouble.

Hopefully Sam Merill will develop enough to replace him as the bench leader in a couple of years...
tedbrogen
Analyst

Post#195 » by tedbrogen » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:31 pm

books wrote:Not a fan of this signing. Never really liked him as a player, and he’s small.

I’m ok with the Forbes signing, but with him, DDV, and Augustin, that’s three guards a little over 6’0. DDV the tallest and he looks small at times out there. Would be hard to play two of the three together for many minutes.

In the playoffs, Jrue will be playing 35-40 minutes. So only a potential of eight minutes with two of those three. They could also play Pat at SG those eight minutes to ensure no overlap between those three. Or only overlap them if the other team is running out smaller guards at the same time. Or do it when you want the other team to waste possessions with guards trying to post up, like against the Celtics put a smaller guard on Smart and let him waste possessions backing down DDV and take back fadeaway jumpers.
tedbrogen
Analyst

Post#196 » by tedbrogen » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:35 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Prez wrote:

Gotta figure that the market for 33 year old 5'11 players coming off a season where their eFG went from .566 to .475 isn't real big.

Gotta figure that eFG will go up when he will get significantly more catch and shoot wide open looks due to Giannis' and Midds' gravity compared to the Magic who have no one with real gravity. Especially when factoring in that he was in the 99th percentile in catch and shoot efficiency the past two years. (At least someone posted that stat earlier in the thread, I didn't verify)
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#197 » by Ruzious » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:53 pm

tedbrogen wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
Prez wrote:What if he had multi year deals on the table from other teams and there were no other realistic & better PG options?

Gotta figure that eFG will go up when he will get significantly more catch and shoot wide open looks due to Giannis' and Midds' gravity compared to the Magic who have no one with real gravity. Especially when factoring in that he was in the 99th percentile in catch and shoot efficiency the past two years. (At least someone posted that stat earlier in the thread, I didn't verify)

Yeah, that doesn't pass the smell test unless he's had an amazingly small sample size of catch and shoots.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
emunney
RealGM
And1: 37,089

Post#198 » by emunney » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:16 pm

Read on Twitter

This is a good deal.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
raferfenix
RealGM
And1: 3,654

Post#199 » by raferfenix » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:26 pm

Augustine is going to have more wide open 3’s than at any point in his career.

He’ll have a George Hill style resurgence.

He’s not a Bogdan kind of talent but that contract will be easily tradeable at a baseline. Considering how much we need shooting and depth in the backcourt though idk if we ultimately move him.
thonnisbeastley
Pro Prospect
And1: 674

Post#200 » by thonnisbeastley » Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:34 pm

Ruzious wrote:
tedbrogen wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Gotta figure that the market for 33 year old 5'11 players coming off a season where their eFG went from .566 to .475 isn't real big.

Yeah, that doesn't pass the smell test unless he's had an amazingly small sample size of catch and shoots.

Eh, he was as good as Bledsoe in that playoff series. He'll be better on the Bucks than he was in ORL. Age is worrisome, but he'll be at least as useful as Hill was.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks